Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Why is Jordyn's birthday lumped in with Kenzie and Josie's because they're all the same age for 8 days? Jordyn is a year older. She deserves her own party. 

My parents had seven children- My sister, brother and I are Irish Triplets (three children born in less than 2 years) 

We had combined birthday parties when young- our siblings and neighbor kids attended.

When we went to school, we started having our own parties!

Edited by springtime

I wouldn't be surprised if Grandma Duggar doesn't have a television in her room and the kids go there occasionally for things like a ball game or the ANDY GRIFFITH show....and probably a little more than we see on TV.

I find it interesting how each season something changes with their values. The first season they said. " They don't allow TV  or watch movies, except for once in a blue moon a Andy Griffith Show" and they showed a very small black and white tv in a closet. This pass season or last ( can't remember) they now have family movie night with a large flat screen tv. JB stated they have Monday night movie nights. Same with girls wearing pants. Now it's okay for the girls to wear pants under their dresses. What is the difference under the dress or just wearing pants with out the skirt. Notice the girls never wear dresses? It's always skirts and tops? I wonder why not dresses also? First couple season's it was " buy used and save the difference" I felt sorry when the TLC did a photo shoot pictures and they put them all in blue. And M'chelle said some of the tops could be used because up to their modesty level. I also felt for one of the younger boy's that stated they were so excited to get new clothes and shoes from the photo shoot. They claim to be financially independent way before TLC got to them..or they got to TLC. If they were financially okay. Why couldn't they buy their children new clothes and shoes for their birthdays or Christmas? But now you never see them buy used. Which might be a good thing for the economy..:-) with all their millions.

None of the kids will break way from the Quiver full movement because JB and M'chelle will never let their children to have any kind of friendships out side their religious view point. I can't stand M'chelle's fake little baby voice either...gag me with a spoon!

• Love 1

I have one that I don't think was mentioned before: the total lack of respect for other peoples' property. 

TLC replayed the Little Rock episodes a while back. The Howlers and the younger girls were running and riding tricycles all over those beautiful, glossy hardwood floors. I love historical homes, so I was damn near having spasms just watching them. 

There was another instance where they arrived late at night to stay at a friend's home outside Atlanta. The Howlers immediately started yelling and tearing through the house. Michelle did reprimand them, but still, they should have more sense than to act like that. 

• Love 3

It’s obvious that the kids don’t listen to J’Chelle or Boob when they attempt to discipline them. Hell, they barely even listen to their sister-mom. The Duggars’ bad behavior can only be blamed on their parenting. J’Chelle and Boob simply don’t care anymore.

• Love 2

It’s obvious that the kids don’t listen to J’Chelle or Boob when they attempt to discipline them. Hell, they barely even listen to their sister-mom. The Duggars’ bad behavior can only be blamed on their parenting. J’Chelle and Boob simply don’t care anymore.

Totally. J'Chelle and Boob don't have to care because they're not the ones doing the shitwork. If the little girls make a mess in the kitchen or the Howlers tear apart the living room, they're not the ones who have to clean it up. Remember the epi where Priscilla came to stay and help Michelle with Josie, Jordyn, Jenny, Hannie and Jackson? Dumb ass Michelle feeds them ice cream at nine o'clock at night and it's Priscilla who's trying to wrangle five kids on a serious sugar high and get them to go to bed. Michelle just laughed and made some inane comment like "ice cream makes kids hyper!". This woman has been a mother for 20+ years and she doesn't know better than that?

Maybe J’Chelle gave up parenting because of her anger issues.  If they’re that severe, she should not have continued to have kids.  It’s not fair to the older girls that they cannot live their own lives, and Queen J’Chelle just sits on her ass all day, and doesn’t give two shits about her kids.  It doesn’t seem genuine when she attempts to spend one on one time with the kids. And she acts like it's such an inconvenience that  the older girls are starting to have their own lives. If they were normal, they would've flown the coup long ago. J'Chelle should consider herself lucky.

Michelle just laughed and made some inane comment like "ice cream makes kids hyper!". This woman has been a mother for 20+ years and she doesn't know better than that?

I saw this as another instance of J'chelle's passive aggressiveness. I think she has zero empathy and actively sabotages anyone whom she feels might show her up, sister-moms included and consequences to her kids be damned. 

• Love 1

I too thought Michelle was being passive-aggressive as all get out.  She was probably pissed that the little ones took to Priscilla - while she doesn't actually want to interact with her own children, it seems to piss her off when they express preference for someone who isn't her, too.  (For example, telling Jordyn to go away constantly, until Jordyn chooses Jessa for comfort in a time of stress, then trying to make Jordyn come to her.)

• Love 5

It really annoys me that Michelle can't even handle looking after the five little ones on her own, that people who aren't even immediate family have to come and help her. WTF, that's only about a quarter of her brood. Useless woman.

If I remember correctly, Michelle is a last-born child, right? I did a lot of research on birth order in college, and no offense to other Last-Borns out there, but her status as Youngest Child would certainly go a long way to explain the entitled, spoiled and just-plain-lazy aspects of her character.  And this comes from an uptight, perfectionistic First-Born. We ALL have our baggage to deal with but you'd think someone who loved BEARING children would also love CARING for them.

Edited by NausetGirl

J'chelle and her "season of life" for every. Damn. Thing.

Well, the Bible says there's a season for everything: childbirth, menopause, death,... crock pot cooking, passive-aggressively ruining every announcement with juvenile comments, handing your child off to other children, hiding out while someone else feeds and educates your children. Only heathens believe in four seasons. :)

• Love 6

Just wake me when she discovers a new "season" for hair and wardrobe.

My hair was long and outdated for years; I was holding on to an '80s style I felt was flattering for me. After MUCH cajoling, my daughter, who was about 20 at the time, finally persuaded me to update my look, and it was the smartest thing I could have done. I know the girls tried to get J'Chelle to flatten out her mess of hair, and straighten it ... IIRC, it looked really nice. It's a pity she didn't continue to listen.

• Love 2

It did look nice when it was straightened! I don't follow trends much, but she has no sense of what looks good on her. And that crunchy mess does NOT look good. Someone should also clue her in to the fact that you can dress modestly without looking like a giant parade balloon. And has she been tanning? Her skin looked darker and leathery. Not pretty. 

• Love 3

Doesn't Gothard prefer women to wear their hair long and curly? I always assumed Michelle went the easy route and put a curly perm in her hair rather than curling it every day. I just don't understand how one can take fashion tips and relationship advice from some 80 year old virgin.

• Love 4

As others have noted, J'Chelle does nothing for the younger children.  She is LAZY as crap and I watch everyone but her taking care of the children.  

I feel very sorry for Jordyn - who definitely had no time or attention with her mother- especially after the Josie fiasco.  Jennifer always looks miserable and sad.  Gee- I wonder why!  Josie in my opinion is a brat.  She's been given way too much attention from J'Chelle when you compare what the other girls get.  

I want them to explain how they can feel environmentally responsible using paper dinnerware and cups all the time.  

I'm seriously wondering and hoping that one child will come out of the closet at some point.  With that many children, at lease one has to be gay.  

I ADORE Johanna!  I think she will be the rebel and tell them all where to stick it.  

• Love 5
I want them to explain how they can feel environmentally responsible using paper dinnerware and cups all the time.

What in the hell did they get an industrial dishwasher for? Don't they have more than one? It's so annoying. I might use paper plates for a special event (we don't have a dishwasher), but I can't imagine using disposable EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. 

• Love 4

Forgot the environment, the sheer cost of paper plates and plastic cups is a huge waste of money.    Buy plates at the thrift store (buy used, save the difference) and if one gets broke ever so often buy another one.   Sure beats having to buy a carton of paper plates every week.

They do the same thing with the laundry.   Sure the family is big but either they are lying about the number of loads of laundry they do (always  possibility) or they do it in the most inefficient most expensive matter.   Like each kid's clothes gets sorted by color and washed separated.    Because you can probably sort into whites and darks.   Then combine to create large loads.   A lot less than the 70-80 they claim, which means less water used, less electricity and less detergent.

• Love 3

Exactly- if they claim 80 loads a week then with 22 people in the house, that is 3.63 loads per week per person.  I find that excessive.  Do they not ever reuse a bath towel - or let me guess- they have disposable ones as well?

I would love to see another one of the shows where J'Chelle answers viewers questions - and let her field the question of disposable dinnerware that ends up the nearest landfill.  Actually, we should figure out a good estimate of how many paper plates, cups, etc this family  (not to mention all the families they entertain) goes through in a year.  I have a feeling it would be horrifying.  

• Love 2

3 paper plates/person (assuming three meals a day and no snacks and no guests) x 20 (JB, Michelle, Grandma Duggar + 17 kids living at home) =  60 plates/day

60 plates/day x 7 days/week = 420 plates/week

420 plates/week x 52 weeks/year = 21, 840 plates/year 

• Love 4

It's not that hard to rinse off a plate, put it in the dishwasher, and press a button, even for 20+ people. Most of the kids are old enough now to be able to put their own dishes in the dishwasher, so if everyone pitched in to help it wouldn't be much of a job at all. 

It's just wasteful and irritating to me, how they use the paper utensils all the time. Every once in a while of course, but not all the time. 

And the puking into a stryrofoam cup in just awful. 

• Love 7

It's not that hard to rinse off a plate, put it in the dishwasher, and press a button, even for 20+ people. Most of the kids are old enough now to be able to put their own dishes in the dishwasher, so if everyone pitched in to help it wouldn't be much of a job at all. 

It's just wasteful and irritating to me, how they use the paper utensils all the time. Every once in a while of course, but not all the time. 

And the puking into a stryrofoam cup in just awful. 

Plus the fact that they have an industrial dishwasher, like a restaurant would have so it takes about 30 seconds to load the rack and then just a few minutes for the wash cycle.  It probably would take them less time to wash their dishes for a family of 20 in their restaurant dishwasher than it does for me to hand wash the dishes for my family of 4 (we don't have a dishwasher! Boo!)

• Love 3

Plus the fact that they have an industrial dishwasher, like a restaurant would have so it takes about 30 seconds to load the rack and then just a few minutes for the wash cycle.  It probably would take them less time to wash their dishes for a family of 20 in their restaurant dishwasher than it does for me to hand wash the dishes for my family of 4 (we don't have a dishwasher! Boo!)

And yet why do they still use paper utensils all the time? LOL

Another thing that irritates me about the Duggars is how they go on and on about what good morals their children have and how they're Godly and have good hearts and whatnot but they won't even let them go on a date by themselves (heaven forbid temptation-as if they couldn't have self-control and resist it!) or even go see their boyfriend's mother in the hospital by themselves. 

Edited by heckyeahheartland
  • Love 3

Because they are selective in what they care about.  They could care less if they are filling up that landfill in Arkansas- but according to them, we could fit the population of the world in Jacksonville, FL.  Well what if the population of the world (every single one) used as many paper cups, napkins, utensils and plates as each member of your family- would they and all their trash still all fit in Jacksonville J'Chelle?  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

In addition, I don't think they recycle anything. There was an episode where they were doing a big housecleaning and Jackson was hauling out a bag of trash. When he set it down it made a loud clunk, and he explained to the cameraman that the bag was full of empty pickle jars. 

Using disposable plates/cups/flatware every day is just plain lazy and wasteful. I wouldn't judge if they only did for parties or barbecues or whatever, but daily? Come on, Duggars.

I also agree about the laundry. If they really do that many loads then the kids likely throw everything in the wash, whether it's dirty or not. Nearly four loads a week per person is ridiculous.

Nearly four loads a week per person is ridiculous.

Does anyone think they wash their bedding once a week? I don't. They don't wear school uniforms and they don't have uniforms for any sports. To me, the amount of laundry per person does seem off.

• Love 2
It probably would take them less time to wash their dishes for a family of 20 in their restaurant dishwasher than it does for me to hand wash the dishes for my family of 4 (we don't have a dishwasher! Boo!)

My family of 5 doesn't have one either. Maybe we can get the Duggars to donate theirs, since it's clearly just gathering dust?

• Love 2
Does anyone think they wash their bedding once a week?

Do they even have bedding? Aside from JimBob and Michelle, I don't think I've ever seen anything but mattresses in the boys room. No sheets. I think maybe the girls have a bedspread, but I don't think I've ever seen sheets on their beds either.

• Love 1

In addition, I don't think they recycle anything. There was an episode where they were doing a big housecleaning and Jackson was hauling out a bag of trash. When he set it down it made a loud clunk, and he explained to the cameraman that the bag was full of empty pickle jars.

Using disposable plates/cups/flatware every day is just plain lazy and wasteful. I wouldn't judge if they only did for parties or barbecues or whatever, but daily? Come on, Duggars.

I also agree about the laundry. If they really do that many loads then the kids likely throw everything in the wash, whether it's dirty or not. Nearly four loads a week per person is ridiculous.

I live in NW Ark near the Duggars, & the recyclers won't take glass. Paper & plastic yes, but not glass.

I live in NW Ark near the Duggars, & the recyclers won't take glass. Paper & plastic yes, but not glass.

If they wanted to take the time there are drop off sites in both Springdale & Fayetteville that do take glass.

ETA: I realize that's probably a big if though.

Edited by ramble

Yea, we live out in the country and our little recycle center doesn't take glass. I try to limit how much glass I buy or reuse as best I can. Do you know how many cool crafting, handy projects they could do with the kids? They could use all those pickle jars to hold nails, screws, washers, etc. out in their garage. If these people weren't so stuck in a box, there are so many cool things they could do with all those kids and all that land. They infuriate me.

• Love 3

It always floors me how much they throw away. It is disappointing and disheartening how much waste this family generates and yet seems not to care a bit about the world they're denegrading. There was so much possibility when they built that house to put in alternate energy sources and rain capture systems to teach the kids about environmental issues. Whether you "believe" in climate change or not, lessening one's impact on the land and community would seem in the best interest of the landowner.

I'm always surprised when I travel, how few places have recycling programs. The region in which I live started recycling paper, glass, and steel cans in 1985 and by the early 90s had added all the items we recycle today (plastics, aluminum, etc.) Watching this family generate all that waste is disheartening.

• Love 6

Fine there is not a recycling program where you put the stuff out on the curb.   You know how my sister paid for a trip to Disneyland with her kids once?    She saved aluminum cans.    Took awhile but she did it with only 2 kids.    If there is a drop off spot, they could save their glass and take it for recycling and get the cash to help pay for all their paper plates and styrofoam cups.   And if that doesn't work, hey, they need a new business for one of the older boys soon.   START a glass/can recycling business.

Gah, they talk about this frugal lifestyle because they have 18 kids and they dress them from the thrift store because of the cost, then they waste so much money.    Penny wise and pound foolish, I call it.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4

Fine there is not a recycling program where you put the stuff out on the curb.   You know how my sister paid for a trip to Disneyland with her kids once?    She saved aluminum cans.    Took awhile but she did it with only 2 kids.    If there is a drop off spot, they could save their glass and take it for recycling and get the cash to help pay for all their paper plates and styrofoam cups.   And if that doesn't work, hey, they need a new business for one of the older boys soon.   START a glass/can recycling business.

Gah, they talk about this frugal lifestyle because they have 18 kids and they dress them from the thrift store because of the cost, then they waste so much money.    Penny wise and pound foolish, I call it.

How do you know they don't?

Because if they did, we would have a whole episode of the SisterMoms loading the recyclables into a truck that Jim Boob is driving while Michelle stands there drinking her Starbucks coffee.   THen we would have them at the recycling center and Jim Boob bragging about how much money HE made from recycling.   They would make a huge deal about how this large family recycles to save money.   

These fame strumpets wouldn't miss a chance like that.

• Love 12

Another thing I hate is the fact that they buy used shoes for the kids.  I can understand the used clothes, but shoes are (IMO) not something to be buying used - especially for children learning to walk.  After shoes are worn for a while, they have pretty much molded and been broken in to the original persons foot.  

Not to mention, I find it gross.  You can't wash most shoes before you wear them.  

• Love 1

I'm thinking the the Gothard view is against any issues around care of creation. I think they believe the environmental movement is a hoax. Am I correct? I can't remember exactly where I got that impression. 

They most likely view the earth  (which they think was created 6,000 years ago) is theirs to exploit.  The environment be damned.  They will be out of here when the rapture comes.

• Love 1

OMG- I just found the beginning episodes of this show on youtube  - I've never seen them.  Okay, this bugged me to no end when the children are talking about their jurisdictions  - and one said that hers was cleaning her Mom and Dad's room.  WTF?  What is Mullets jurisdiction?  Does she have one?  Seriously!

I don't know why, but their wearing of Arkansas Razorback fan gear, putting Razorback signs and stickers all over and generally being a fan annoys me.  Thought they didn't watch TV? At least they've never said anything about watching sports.  We know that none of their kids are going to go to the "heathen" school, the parents didn't go.  It's just a little hypocritical to me.

• Love 4