Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

(edited)

One thing that bugs me is how Mullet thought she was hot stuff while mowing the lawn in front of her neighbor and that cause him to divorce his wife. Seriously, she *defrauded* the poor man. And JimBoob was lucky to catch the hot cheerleader.

Edited by bigskygirl

Probably if we see the label, it's free for the Duggars. Still, who feeds soup to a large family by simply pouring many, many cans of chicken noodle soup into a pot. Honestly I would have guessed nobody. One of the down sides about soup for most families is that you have to make it in such large quantities.  Is cleaning vegetables foreign to their culture somehow? And wearing proper nightwear, and having sheets on beds. Are there other people outside of crack houses who don't put sheets on children's beds? Do we have a sleep-on-the-floor or sleep-on-the-bare mattress subculture that is just coming to light with the Duggars because that is almost culturally more interesting than their religious practices?

• Love 4

What really gets me is the whole basic premise that this family is so great because they had 19 kids.   Big whoop de doo.   The heavily Catholic town I grew up in had 2 families with 18 kids.   Nobody thought they were special, nor did they think they were so special either.   They just had a bunch of kids -- who went to public schools, were involved in extracurricular activities, went to college or trade school, then got married and started families of their own (or didn't as they chose).   They did what they did and lived their lives without seeking adulation for having a passel of kids.  

• Love 9

J'Chelle and Boob may have 19 kids, but they have no real skills to do anything in this world. The girls can only work outside the home with a buddy. Smuggar is an asshole, and J'Chelle will baby Josie until she dies. You may have had 19 kids, J'Chelle, but they don't have the education to be anything. Smuggar is only working in DC because of his last name. If his last name was Jordan, there would be no cushy  DC gig. 

• Love 7

I originally posted this in the lovely style thread, but realized the error of my sinful ways & deceitful heart. I am woebegone. (The quote is from there.)

By going on Pinterest, you can find fundie heaven

I find their internet usage so strange. How are Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, etc. acceptable? If tv, movies & unsupervised internet searches are evil, how are the others ok? I try to shelter my kiddos but I do so the exact opposite way. I do screen their tv & movies but we use the internet constantly for school & they get to watch age appropriate youtube. However they aren't allowed on social media yet. I can't seem to quite figure that idea out. If typical worldly choices are such a horrible influence why in the world are they using social media?
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ripley 68 I have your answer. Michelle will not let Jana go. Why should she? Jana is far too valuable as a workhorse for Michelle to lose. I bet dollars to doughnuts that it is Michelle who won't "approve and agree" to any suitor for poor Jana until SHE is good and ready to lose this unpaid nanny/maid. It's clear to me.

I also would like for them to justify the substandard conditions that they allow their kids to live in; yes, sleeping on floors, fully dressed, no proper bathing, walking on, licking countertops, tables, jumping off furniture, overdressing for the hot Arkansas summers, underdressing for cold winters with improper shoes, etc.. the list goes on and on. I would LOVE a live interview with them and put these tough issues to them and see how they can dance on live TV.

I paused and studied the girls dormitory (how incredibly stupid to have such a thing in a family home).  There were two full sized beds, one twin, and one set of bunk beds.  Nine girls live there.  Let's forget that four of them don't even have beds.  We have girls nearing their mid-twenties who are sharing beds with their siblings.  While that was perfectly fine for my mom and her eight siblings growing up as sharecropper's children in Arkansas, I think it's unacceptable here.  Josie is not even potty trained.  At her age, she needs serious pull ups or lucky Jana gets peed on every night.  I don't see cheapskate Jim Bob buying expensive diapers.

I agree completely that it's Michelle holding back Jana.  Jana is (by far) the most selfless and she made the mistake of revealing her resentment.  Michelle will punish her forever.  Josie will never care for herself at the rate that they're going.  The youngest usually gets stuck caring for the elderly parents.  Josie's out.  If Jordyn skips out on that family (I can hope), Jana is there for life.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 2

This may sound like an odd one, but I really can't stand their raging haters.

I lurked on TWOP and FJ for a long time and while most posts were fair or snarky (like the ones I had read here), some posters absolutely floored me in terms of their dislike and enmity towards this family and anyone who had the slightest nice thing to say about them (even if it was something as benign as liking a skirt or hairstyle). I stopped lurking at FJ for two years because of how they were treating anyone who wouldn't nod their head and agree with the status quo at the time to hate the Duggars for every little thing they said or did on their show. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Several of the kids, John David and Joseph for example, talk with mush mouths, like they have a bag of cotton in their mouths.  Those two especially speak as though they are heavily medicated or something (which I'm sure they are not unless they are sneaking some of J'Chelles happy pills).  Josie needed speech therapy two years ago but since she is preciously perfect, that is not happening.

I will echo those that have said that Jim Boob and J'Chelle's constant PDAs and acting as if they were two horny teens that cannot keep their hands off of each other is grating to no end.  Nobody's buying that Jim Boob's libido, at almost age 50, is working like it did at age 18.  I'm sure the older boys especially want to punch Boob square in the mouth.

I don't know if anybody's said it but Cousin Amy gets on my nerves.She looks a bit like Kelly Clarkson without Kelly's voice.  The fact that she's getting her own show trying to "make it" in Nashville is a joke. 

As for the homeschooling, perfectly fine if that's what you want to do, but J'Chelle "teaches" grades Pre-K through middle school the same lesson.  Josie and James are not on the same level.  James is too old to plant some seeds in dirt and call that a lesson on photosynthesis.

And what is this two-by-two rule?  They have to send the kids into the world two at a time so that they won't be tempted.  Huh? 

Edited by Tuckerlee
  • Love 1

Regarding the girl's dorm, I remember when they all finally moved in with the 16 kids special, both Jill and Jana were the ones who had the double beds. I'm sure that even then they had buddies visiting in the middle of the night so Michelle wouldn't be disturbed..we've seen Jackson in Jana's bed on at least a couple of occasions in the earlier seasons. Jessa, Jinger, and Joy Anna all had single beds and Johannah was still in the crib in Jim Bob and Michelle's room 8 years ago , she was around 3 months old when they made the move. For quite awhile, the 4 younger girls seemed to sleep in pack n plays, and due to lack of room, I guess Jim Bob and Michelle decided that Jana and Jill would share their beds with Josie and Jordyn. The bunk beds were bought for Hannie and Jennifer, I guess, but I'm sure that these two previously took turns sleeping with Jana and Jill too. 

Nevertheless, when that house was built, the Duggars even consider the possibility that some of their kids, as they grew older, might want to have their own room, or at least have the older ones share. I still wonder if John David is really living with the Duggars or if he's in his own house, that one wreck that Jim Bob made all of the kids clean up some time ago, but he just shows up for filming. 

• Love 1
One of the families in the Kid's By the Dozen series, the Arndts (equally as creepy), thos ekids wore clothes to bed as well.   The mother stated she bought PJ's for them but they refused to wear them.

Yeah, there are perfectly normal (read: "non-Duggar") reasons for kids not wearing pajamas.  I have one son who is now 15 who has never, ever liked wearing night clothes.  I bought him plenty, and they would just sit in the drawer.  He just wears his clothes that he wore that day.  Then in the morning he changes into new clothes.  How he sleeps comfortably in jeans is beyond me.  Honestly, if I had 18 kids, or even like 5 kids, I'd probably dispense with night clothes too. Just a whole other set of clothes to wash every few days.

However, this is the Duggars we're talking about, and I can totally see them having a thing about the kids not being filmed in their night clothes, so that might explain it. 

• Love 1

One thing that I despise is Mullet telling her children that she could have died birthing them.  A week after my oldest was born I had a major hemorrhage and came closer to dying that I ever want to experience. To this day, my son has not heard a whisper about it.

• Love 13

Regarding the girl's dorm, I remember when they all finally moved in with the 16 kids special, both Jill and Jana were the ones who had the double beds. I'm sure that even then they had buddies visiting in the middle of the night so Michelle wouldn't be disturbed..we've seen Jackson in Jana's bed on at least a couple of occasions in the earlier seasons. Jessa, Jinger, and Joy Anna all had single beds and Johannah was still in the crib in Jim Bob and Michelle's room 8 years ago , she was around 3 months old when they made the move. For quite awhile, the 4 younger girls seemed to sleep in pack n plays, and due to lack of room, I guess Jim Bob and Michelle decided that Jana and Jill would share their beds with Josie and Jordyn. The bunk beds were bought for Hannie and Jennifer, I guess, but I'm sure that these two previously took turns sleeping with Jana and Jill too. 

Nevertheless, when that house was built, the Duggars even consider the possibility that some of their kids, as they grew older, might want to have their own room, or at least have the older ones share. I still wonder if John David is really living with the Duggars or if he's in his own house, that one wreck that Jim Bob made all of the kids clean up some time ago, but he just shows up for filming. 

Can anyone tell me how it is that they can't afford beds for all the girls and yet they have at least two harps? Who has two harps? 

• Love 6

Yeah, I would read TWOP in particular during a currently airing season to get the comments/snark on newly aired episodes, but usually after the season was over, I would stop reading because it would end up just being lots of the same vitriol trotted out over and over. Snark on them, yes. But the raging hate - find something more productive to do!

Regarding the single bedrooms - it's been awhile since I've watched the moving in special, but I thought that they said somewhere in there that they were going to do some number of separate bedrooms, probably 2 or maybe 3 girls or boys to a room, which is not unreasonable in any family size, but the kids said they wanted to be together. As a parent now, I would have said we're building the separate bedrooms and if you actually want to bunk up together at any point, feel free to fill whatever room you want, but then you have the freedom to not if at some point you don't want to.

• Love 1

More than anything, the education piece irks my nerves. The caliber, or lack thereof, of education these kids get leaves them totally unprepared to live in the real world.

• Love 9

I went onto the Duggar website and read about the ALERT training that the one kid did, John-David(?). It's on the "Homeschooling Resources" link and I just wonder why they would pay to put him in this training. He could have learned similar skills by joining the Boy Scouts as a kid and then moving on to the Army and/or EMT or Fire Department training. I guess because the ALERT method offered the Jesus teaching (?)  But seriously, I have never heard of this ALERT group doing any sort of mass rescue. Not that they don't, but aren't there organizations already set up to do this sort of work locally and internationally, like oh I don't know: the fire dept, Rescue Squad, Police department, Red Cross, National Guard and  some heavily traveled tourist areas have their own search and rescue team. Has anybody ever heard of this ALERT search and rescue group? 

Isn't ALERT sanctioned by Gothard?  It would make sense then that they attend that vs anything else mainstream.  Whenever there has been a natural disaster in AR, I think about the Duggar boys and if they are dispatched to assist.  Maybe, maybe not.

They were on a stint for a while with endless "mission trips", where is seemed that all they did was maybe take two days to build something and then spend the rest of then time sightseeing, taking selfies and preaching the Bible to people who can't understand English.   Derrick spent two years in Nepal.   I was hoping to see more of what he was doing there specifically but they didn't show anything. 

• Love 1

Well this may sound odd, but I really can’t understand the raging apologists (for all things Duggar ) all over the web.

• Love 18

People posting in the forums here are allowed to hate or love (raging hate or raging love) without being called out on it. So let's not continue that particular line of discussion.

• Love 5

I went onto the Duggar website and read about the ALERT training that the one kid did, John-David(?). It's on the "Homeschooling Resources" link and I just wonder why they would pay to put him in this training. He could have learned similar skills by joining the Boy Scouts as a kid and then moving on to the Army and/or EMT or Fire Department training. I guess because the ALERT method offered the Jesus teaching (?)  But seriously, I have never heard of this ALERT group doing any sort of mass rescue. Not that they don't, but aren't there organizations already set up to do this sort of work locally and internationally, like oh I don't know: the fire dept, Rescue Squad, Police department, Red Cross, National Guard and  some heavily traveled tourist areas have their own search and rescue team. Has anybody ever heard of this ALERT search and rescue group?

Way to many heathens & alternative lifestyles in non-ALERT organizations for the Duggar's taste. Something else I've found strange: For all of their ultra conservative, gun loving grandstanding, none of their boys are encouraged to serve their country in the military.

• Love 8
(edited)

I would love to see one of the boys go through basic training. Getting up early in the morning, no women folks to do things for them, and worse of all, taking orders from a female drill sergeant or officer and taking showers with other young men.

Edited by bigskygirl

1. Fellowship used as a verb...drives me crazy

2. This pretense that the kids get a say in their dating rules. It is so clear that the parents are insisting on no hand holding, no privacy, chaperones all the time. Makes me angry that they can't just admit it.

3. The superiority they feel over their choices. Homeschooling can be great, but having rewatched the original specials recently, they went on and on about how they could "learn by doing, not in a book". Sorry, I'm not impressed by a high school graduate "teaching" all grades about bankruptcy in one lesson (seriously, bankruptcy?). They set aside 11-2 pm for school. I'm a teacher, and I work 10 hours a day to teach ONE grade ONE subject (math). Oh, but it's book learning, not repeating the word "perpendicular", must be a waste of time.

• Love 6

2. This pretense that the kids get a say in their dating rules. It is so clear that the parents are insisting on no hand holding, no privacy, chaperones all the time. Makes me angry that they can't just admit it.

It's not a pretense. It's a lie.

• Love 5

Way to many heathens & alternative lifestyles in non-ALERT organizations for the Duggar's taste. Something else I've found strange: For all of their ultra conservative, gun loving grandstanding, none of their boys are encouraged to serve their country in the military.

ALERT serves as their "military." It's paramilitary in its scope. They also recite a chapter from the Bible at "Graduation." Speaking of which, I saw a pic of Josiah today captioned that he was home from ALERT (I think this was 3rd 9 week tour this year). He's really getting the major indoctrination IVed into him before he turns 18 in August. I believe that "cadets" can do up to five levels of this thing. In one of the early specials, we saw Smuggar with a crew cut and that's when someone started the (proved false) "sin in the camp" rumor. He'd just been to ALERT. Joseph also did one 9 week tour of duty that we know of (could have been more...he seeps into the cracks quite easily). JD may have gone before they started filming the show; he was 18 at that point. ALERT takes them as young as 16, I believe.

I guess they do this for the boys in lieu of the Journey to the Heart indoctrination that all of the girls down to Joy have had (and if you're Poor Jana, multiple tours). There is a Journey for teenagers/young men, but maybe Boob decided that it wasn't "masculine" enough for his progeny.

Who knows with these people?

ALERT serves as their "military." It's paramilitary in its scope. They also recite a chapter from the Bible at "Graduation." Speaking of which, I saw a pic of Josiah today captioned that he was home from ALERT (I think this was 3rd 9 week tour this year). He's really getting the major indoctrination IVed into him before he turns 18 in August. I believe that "cadets" can do up to five levels of this thing. In one of the early specials, we saw Smuggar with a crew cut and that's when someone started the (proved false) "sin in the camp" rumor. He'd just been to ALERT. Joseph also did one 9 week tour of duty that we know of (could have been more...he seeps into the cracks quite easily). JD may have gone before they started filming the show; he was 18 at that point. ALERT takes them as young as 16, I believe.

I guess they do this for the boys in lieu of the Journey to the Heart indoctrination that all of the girls down to Joy have had (and if you're Poor Jana, multiple tours). There is a Journey for teenagers/young men, but maybe Boob decided that it wasn't "masculine" enough for his progeny.

Who knows with these people?

Does anyone know what adult graduates are actually supposed to do with this training? Is it simply to make you a better man. Is is a "put on the armor of Christ" sort of thing where you simply strengthen yourself against falling into sin? 

• Love 1

Does anyone know what adult graduates are actually supposed to do with this training? Is it simply to make you a better man. Is is a "put on the armor of Christ" sort of thing where you simply strengthen yourself against falling into sin? 

I was always curious too. I would say the war on the  heathens, but I don't think that these boys would make a good soldier. They prob would starve due to their inability to cook. 

I almost think its like break them down, build them up with Gothard nonsense type of thing. Plus, maybe that is where the "trouble makers" go to get "fixed." 

Well based from this website they basically assist in natural disaster situations - http://www.alertacademy.com/alert/blog/course/emergency-response-training/

Disaster Response
In response to a call from an authority, ALERT will deploy a team on short notice to a disaster-stricken area to assist that authority with the needs in his jurisdiction. ALERT’s goal is to make leaders successful while presenting the love of Christ through flexible, selfless public service.
Local Response
Applying the search-and-rescue skills taught in Basic Training, men are placed on response teams which are on-call with local sheriffs to assist in emergency situations, such as lost-person searches.

Well based from this website they basically assist in natural disaster situations - http://www.alertacademy.com/alert/blog/course/emergency-response-training/

Disaster Response

In response to a call from an authority, ALERT will deploy a team on short notice to a disaster-stricken area to assist that authority with the needs in his jurisdiction. ALERT’s goal is to make leaders successful while presenting the love of Christ through flexible, selfless public service.

Local Response

Applying the search-and-rescue skills taught in Basic Training, men are placed on response teams which are on-call with local sheriffs to assist in emergency situations, such as lost-person searches.

Thanks. I wonder to what extent they would be used. Of course lots of church groups help with disaster-relief so maybe ALERT is accepted in the same way. 

(edited)

Disaster Response

Local Response

Presenting the love of Christ through flexible, selfless public service. Seriously... I can imagine what type of training they receive.

I would rather take my clothes off, have someone paint a big red cross on my back, and be dropped off in the most dangerous area in Iraq. Or better yet, draw a map to my house and put a big sign on the lawn telling criminals to come and rob me blind and kill me in my sleep than have a group of religious nitwits trying to save me through the love of Christ.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)

Most people become volunteer emergency personnel to help people and to give back to their local community. I am in the process of becoming a police department volunteer. I might have to help out in an emergency, but I would not hide behind the idea of using the love of Christ to do so. The Duggars are famewhores who uses the media to make themselves look good during a crisis. The last thing I would want is a bunch of people hiding behind religion to spread their message while others are suffering.

Edited by bigskygirl

Speaking of their narrow worldview, they'll be stumping in Mississippi tomorrow for some unfortunate, losing candidate. Smuggar is billed with his "Executive Director" title like he actually does something other than show up for these things to attract the leghumpers.

...Which annoys me...his title is bogus; he barely has a real job.

• Love 4

Grandma Duggar spending her retirement years...doing 70+ loads of laundry...per week..

Lack of embracing any kind of culture.. Theyve been all over the world, and turn their nose up at anything different.

The boys..who do nothing

Lack of proper education, help for Josie

Lack of Diversity on their shows (different races, other kids with disabilities, would love them emrace a gay person but that would never happen)

Nutrition Habits. Mind you, Im not a world renowned chef by any means, but seriously.. canned tuna and bbq sauce?

When Jim Boob and Jill were in Nepal meeting Derrick. Every time he opened his yapper: So How ya think its going? What do you think of Him/Her? What do you think of the relationship? THEY HAD JUST MET!. Let them breathe.

(related to above) Jim Bob and Michelle in the business of their older children relationships, the need for chaperones, supervised calls/tweets/texts/. They raised them but yet don't trust them.. Good Job!. *sigh*

• Love 5

Lack of Diversity on their shows (different races, other kids with disabilities, would love them emrace a gay person but that would never happen)

In the last few seasons, they have suddenly had several black friends, and there was an episode with a large family that visted that had at least one handicapped child I think (I missed it)

If we ever see someone openly gay appear on their show I will drop dead of heart attack or stroke.  I honestly think that they feel that anyone that practices homosexuality is the devil incarnate.

One of Michelle's sisters is gay, she was in the episode where they went to Ohio. Josh informed us that even though she's gay, she doesn't believe she should be allowed to marry.

I really don't get this. I have a feeling that Smugger just made that last statement up. 

• Love 3

In the last few seasons, they have suddenly had several black friends, and there was an episode with a large family that visted that had at least one handicapped child I think (I missed it)

If we ever see someone openly gay appear on their show I will drop dead of heart attack or stroke.  I honestly think that they feel that anyone that practices homosexuality is the devil incarnate.

I'm quite sure that at least one of the 19 kids is gay, but will never be able to admit it.

Will their "curse" continue?

Of course!

• Love 4

Oh, so much to comment on here... first: overdressing in the summer, underdressing in the winter; improper footwear throughout the year, improper dress for the occasion or task ahead; the double shirt look, even when the outer neckline is acceptable; leggings and a shirt under a dress in the summer..the repeated singing of "I've Been Redeemed" and "Amazing Grace", which is inappropriate for any of the kids to sing, for they have been indoctrinated from birth as to how to live and think; so they have not been "mislead" at any time in their lives; maybe Michelle is the only qualified singer here; "one on one parent/child time" which is bull...oney because what it actually is  unfortunately is "confessor/confessee" time; they want to know every thought and action that these kids have had since their last "meeting" and confess it to them and pray for forgiveness. Did JimBob watch Starsky and Hutch when he was a kid? What about Little House on the Prairie,and how can you go wrong with "Highway to Heaven"? If he did, it certainly didn't turn him against God, did it? Having said that, why is it wrong for his kids to watch those shows now? Oh, yes, Laura Ingalls, (that tramp) spent time alone courting Almanzo and actually went to CHURCH sponsored DANCES with Reverand Alden attenting! How sinful and defrauding to hold Laura's hand and not be engaged yet...Has anyone else thought about these absurd rules that have come to mind here?

• Love 6

The PDA's between Mullet and Boob and Josh and Anna. The worst one I saw was when Josh and Anna played Joseph and Mary on the Christmas float and were making out during the parade.

• Love 1

Ugh, I hate to defend the Duggars, but they have socialized with both black and Hispanic families throughout the course of the show. They attended a predominantly black church when they stayed in Little Rock and also had Asian exchange students living with them for a while. Okay, back to snarking....

• Love 1

The one good thing I can say about the Duggars is that they don't curse. This may not seem like a big deal , but I can see why a lot of families feel comfortable letting their young kids watching the show. So many shows, and standup comedians, seem like every other word out of their mouth is a curse word. On the other hand, the way Jim Bob and MIchelle seem to be obsessed with sex isn't good either. They make a way bigger deal out of it then they need to. It makes me wonder if maybe most, if not all, of their kids are going to be disappointed after they marry with that aspect of their relationship. 

• Love 5