Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

Good for him.  Melissa is in Whiplash, an indie that got huge buzz at both Sundance and TIFF.  It is a supporting part.  I think she plays Miles Teller's character's girlfriend.

And they've both just finished filming a movie that Blake wrote himself and got funded through Kickstarter.

Considering Matt is not contractually free from Glee and even this year had to drop out of the 'Finding Neverland" musical after the summer workshop because of his obligations to the show, it's hard to gauge how much he's really been able to do any outside projects since the Glee pilot back in 2008.

Once Glee is done in Feb 2015 with filming we'll see what projects the actors will be able to line up without scheduling conflicts. So far of the regulars only Chris has a big project ( the biopic with Ian Mckellen, Vanessa Redgrave, etc) to start once Glee is done, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the others get other stuff off the ground fairly quickly.

I do expect in 2015 for Amber to finally release her album.

I think the whole cast is talented and should have plenty of success after the show. I don't think all of them will be huge stars by any means, but I don't want to discredit anyone. I think Dianna probably has the biggest chance of becoming a "movie star" but that's mostly based on what I've seen of everyone so far aside from Glee.

I could see Chord sticking to TV and doing well with that. I actually think Chord's pretty underrated as an actor on Glee. I know he gets some ehh material (like everyone else), but I've always thought he handled his comedy and drama pretty well. He also may just stay focused on music which seems to be his real passion.

I'm wondering what will happen with Naya. I really think she's very talented, so I'd like to see her more post-Glee.

I fear that I will never be able to see Lea as anyone but Rachel Berry, but she's very talented too so I'm sure she won't have any problems.

He also may just stay focused on music which seems to be his real passion.

I question how much of a "passion" it is considering that in 4 years he hasn't done even a modest or limited tour or released any music/singles. Considering his brother is in a well known band and is father is connected in Nashville, you'd think he would be out there more. But there is nothing from him even in the summer months music wise. Edited by caracas1914

I question how much of a passion it is considering that in 4 years he hasn't  done even a modest or limited  tour or released any music/singles.  Considering his brother is in a well know band and is father is connected in Nashville, you'd think he would be out there more.  But there is nothing from him even in the summer months music wise.

The music thing always felt like a filler/excuse thing to me. He's made no real moves there and the things he tossed up on youtube got a pathetic level of response. The indy movie he did over this break seems much more the sort of thing he's actually into. Hopefully he gets more of those.

All the  Glee people with music/album plans the proof will be in the pudding once they show has wrapped up by February 2015. Then it can't be because of the brutal Glee schedule production that they can't work on their albums, promotion, touring, etc, etc.   Mind you, they could have other stuff they want to do more which is fine, but for now we hear a lot about how the timing isn't right for their albums to come out.  Naya's seems dead in the water, and both Amber and Darren's seem to be on hold, while Chord has said his album should be released early in 2015.

Other than Lea, I suspect the Labels think the bloom is off as far as sales potential with the rest of them.  So the Label  $$$ isn't  there for promotion,touring, etc.  Regardless, its a tough row to hoe, as most album sales are declining for even top artists,  so if they really are serious about  the recording route they may have  to sacrifice the acting end  to go touring and pushing their music 24/7.   Even then it's not a guaranteed thing.  The only actor I can think of  who made that transition was Jarred Leto and that took a few years.  The glee actor to make the choice to  prioritize music/recording over acting  my money is on Amber Riley, but we'll see.

As to acting opportunities, it's interesting to note that Glee actors who actually had the time to pursue other offers have had some success, Dianna obviously, but even Harry 2 years after being removed as a regular, and guest stars such as Jonathan Groff and Grant Gustin have regular gigs on TV now.  So once Glee ends the offers are going to be out there initially at least for some of them still regulars on the show.

Edited by caracas1914

I think that Lea's album was the tester by the label to see if the Glee cast still had enough juice to move units. Given that Lea is the shows lead female and one of the highest profile actors on the show (along with Jane and Chris), if there was anyone who's album should have been successful, it would be Lea's. It was, at best, a modest success (not unexpectedly, giving the limited amount of time she had to focus on promotion). So I deeply doubt that the label sees putting out albums for the Glee cast to be a money maker.

Of the entire cast, the only one that I can see having a real shot of success as a recording artist is Amber. I think that she would have more potential as a recording artist than she would as an actor. But the sad reality is that for the cast, this ship has probably sailed if they want to put out albums.

So Amber and Kevin are going a show for a music station, seems like it's gonna be a regular gig. I have to say, good move. I always saw Kevin more as a talk show host, so his British game show and now DJ-ing is a start, adding to his movie roles. And Amber has a warm presence but she's also not hiding her opinions. As for her acting, I thought she was much improved in S5 NY scenes but I also don't see acting as her major focus.

tumblr_ncj2rupIpC1qbdepdo1_500.jpg

• Love 1

Amber not being with the label is plain and simple they decided not to go further with her album. She's been working on it for over two plus years, Glee is winding down within 5 months freeing her time so there would be no excuses to not finally putting out a release date.

I suspect Darren will be the next one to mention he's switching labels in the next few months because the same factors exist for him, ie no reason not to release the album.

I see Matt, Lea, and Darren as the ones who probably have Broadway as a sure thing to fall back on if their movies and albums don't take off. I hope Jenna finds real success in theatre as well, but don't feel that same sense of certainty.

• Love 1

Darren doesn't have the vocal strength to do Broadway for more than a short stint at a time. Not 8 shows a week for months at a stretch. This has nothing to do with my opinion on his singing talent or his acting ability, but his vocal technique and strength. The few weeks he did in How to Succeed in Business took a major toll on his voice and I can't see him doing more than the occasional bit of stunt casting (if even that).

I can definitely see Lea, Matt and probably Jenna returning to Broadway at some point and doing well. Chris could do Broadway with the right parts, but as much as I enjoy his singing I think he would excel in straight plays. I would happily hock an organ to see him play Puck from A Midsummer Nights Dream.

• Love 2

Darren doesn't have the vocal strength to do Broadway for more than a short stint at a time. Not 8 shows a week for months at a stretch. This has nothing to do with my opinion on his singing talent or his acting ability, but his vocal technique and strength. The few weeks he did in How to Succeed in Business took a major toll on his voice and I can't see him doing more than the occasional bit of stunt casting (if even that).

I can definitely see Lea, Matt and probably Jenna returning to Broadway at some point and doing well. Chris could do Broadway with the right parts, but as much as I enjoy his singing I think he would excel in straight plays. I would happily hock an organ to see him play Puck from A Midsummer Nights Dream.

I haven't heard Chris talk about plays apart from 8, or about him seeing some non-musical theatre when he goes to NYC, he seems to prefer musicals. Maybe it' just the questions he gets asked about Bway are always about musicals. I've also thought about him in Shakespearean roles like Puck, Ariel, Mercutio, but it'd be cool to see him in a more unusual twist of Viola/Sebastian played by a man. He sometimes speaks too fast and eats words on screen, plus has some dialect vowels, so a few classical roles or modern classics can get him out of this habit

Edited by fakeempress

Amber already did "Cotton Club on Parade" which was an earlier tryout version of the hit " After Midnight" on Broadway so I could see her do more of those type of roles on stage.

Kevin has done straight acting, TV hosting and been in a boy-band so his versatility will hold him in good stead. He's already slated to do another movie " The might be Kennedy's" as soon as Glee is over.

Amber already did "Cotton Club on Parade" which was an earlier tryout version of the hit " After Midnight" on Broadway so I could see her do more of those type of roles on stage.

Kevin has done straight acting, TV hosting and been in a boy-band so his versatility will hold him in good stead. He's already slated to do another movie " The might be Kennedy's" as soon as Glee is over.

I know Cotton Club and Hair while neither on bway or long runs were good gigs for the resume so that is is why I said Amber. 

As said before all of them have a variety of things they can do it is just a matter of if they get the chance/opportunity to them or not.

Kevin McHale's pending movie:

"They Might Be Kennedys" update

"Hi guys just a quick update. We didn’t get the film cast in time for our investors, so they put their money into another project. We have to push until June ‘15 because it is a summer movie and it can’t be shot on the Cape fall/winter. Funds will be available again for next year. On the bright side, more time gives us the 7 P’s Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. ‪#‎TMBK‬ #2015"

Annoying but pretty typical in the film industry where if you aren't dealing with a huge known actor, productions get postponed all the time. We also had Chris's biopic delayed until next year to start production. At least for both of them, they'll be able to film without having to worry about trying to fit their work in with their Glee commitments.

So far of the young regulars, the only ones who seem to have anything confirmed lined up for after Glee are Chris and Kevin. I have no doubt that Lea will have something in the works (besides a possible second album), but if I were Chord and Darren, I'd start getting very, very nervous. With production now well underway and more than likely to wrap around the end of the year, the clock is ticking.

I don't think that there needs to be massive rush for any of the actors to get a new job ASAP. They earn,t per episode roughly what an average American does in a year so they shouldn't be hurting for a living wage for now. It's more important to pick the correct projects that will hopefully further their careers.

• Love 1

The reality of the entertainment business is that in order to have a long career, you have to build on your past successes. The longer any of the cast wait between Glee ending and finding their next jobs, the harder it becomes because you get forgotten very quickly. No one in the cast in an A list name where they can take a year or two off and then come back and expect to find offers waiting. With the exception of Lea and Chris, I think that most of the cast might well be forgotten very shortly after Glee ends. You have to strike while the iron is hot. I don't think that anyone in the cast wants to think of Glee as being the high points of their careers, especially given how young so many of them are. To be blunt, they don't have the luxury of taking a few months off after Glee before they start thinking about what comes next. I agree that the need to really consider what options are open to them so that they do make choices that benefit their careers in the long run, but I think that we are seeing who are getting those good offers and who aren't.

I'm only speaking about those who are still on the show. Of the current cast of regulars, I think that Lea, Chris and Kevin are in the best positions now. Kevin and Chris both have major projects waiting for them next year and Lea has earned enough good notice that I think she'll have a few things to choose from. Now is the time when they still can take advantage of using Glee to try to further their careers but that time is rapidly running out. Glee is no longer a critical or ratings hit and the last episodes are likely to air at a dead time (which will further reduce professional focus on the cast). They've had several years now to make the kind of professional connections and good will that will translate to jobs in the future. If they haven't done it by now, then I think that they are going to have a rougher time in moving their acting or musical careers forward.

Edited by Hana Chan

I just want to clarify my earlier statement - I don't expect the cast to immediately start work on new productions immediately after Glee ends filming, but at this point they need to be at least lining up new projects, even if those projects don't start for a few weeks/months after Glee ends. If they are not at least by now fielding offers, that that would not bode well for them in the future.

The reality of the entertainment business is that in order to have a long career, you have to build on your past successes. The longer any of the cast wait between Glee ending and finding their

next jobs, the harder it becomes because you

get forgotten very quickly. No one in the cast in

an A list name where they can take a year or

two off and then come back and expect to find

offers waiting. With the exception of Lea and

Chris, I think that most of the cast might well be

forgotten very shortly after Glee ends. You have

to strike while the iron is hot. I don't think that

anyone in the cast wants to think of Glee as

being the high points of their careers, especially

given how young so many of them are. To be

blunt, they don't have the luxury of taking a few

months off after Glee before they start thinking

about what comes next. I agree that the need to

really consider what options are open to them so

that they do make choices that benefit their

careers in the long run, but I think that we are

seeing who are getting those good offers and

who aren't.

I'm only speaking about those who are still on the show. Of the current cast of regulars, I think that Lea, Chris and Kevin are in the best positions now. Kevin and Chris both have major projects waiting for them next year and Lea has

earned enough good notice that I think she'll

have a few things to choose from. Now is the

time when they still can take advantage of using

Glee to try to further their careers but that time

is rapidly running out. Glee is no longer a critical

or ratings hit and the last episodes are likely to

air at a dead time (which will further reduce

professional focus on the cast). They've had

several years now to make the kind of

professional connections and good will that will

translate to jobs in the future. If they haven't

done it by now, then I think that they are going

to have a rougher time in moving their acting or

musical careers forward.

I don't think it's just Lea and Chris. So far Jane and Matt seem to be doing pretty well for themselves too as do Harry, Blake, and Melissa.

I don't think it's just Lea and Chris. So far Jane and Matt seem to be doing pretty well for themselves too as do Harry, Blake, and Melissa.

I am pretty sure they were focusing on the kids, the  regulars/old cast for season 6.

Matt stuff has already been mention and I don't think anyone is wondering about Jane's career.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paramount-megan-ellison-richard-linklater-baseball-1201316758/

It's confirmed Blake Jenner, one of the Newbies has landed a leading role in the next Richard Linklater movie.

And the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2"  movie that Harry Shum Jr. stars in will show on IMAX theatres August 15, 2015 as well as Netflix.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/09/29/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-netflix-imax/

Matt Morrison will have his pick of Broadway leads after Glee is over, of course the rumblings that Weinstein wants him badly to take over the lead role in "Finding Neverland" (basically dumping Jeremy Jordan) before it heads on over to Broadway in April of next year isn't his fault if those negotiations are indeed happening.  Glee is over by Jan/Feb, plenty of time for Matt to start pre Broadway rehearsals. 

Mind you, I'm not saying it's a done deal, just that logistically it's possible considering when Glee ends.

Edited by caracas1914

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Matthew was attached to Finding Neverland since March when he did the developmental workshop. When that ended it was specifically stated by the director that he couldn't move on to the preview due to Glee. Ironically this was before the s6 episode order was cut, production was shifted to September instead of July, and Will was written very lightly in the first couple of episodes so he could have actually accepted that job.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Matthew was attached to Finding Neverland since March when he did the developmental workshop. When that ended it

was specifically stated by the director that he

couldn't move on to the preview due to Glee.

Ironically this was before the s6 episode order

was cut, production was shifted to September

instead of July, and Will was written very lightly

in the first couple of episodes so he could have

actually accepted that job.

I think the " fuss" is that Jeremy Jordan has a huge fan base, so replacing him with ANYONE is going to cause backlash. Combine that with how public all these negotiations are, and you have a frenzy on your hands. Actors are replaced all the time, but I don't think the process is usually this public.

I think the " fuss" is that Jeremy Jordan has a huge fan base, so replacing him with ANYONE is going to cause backlash. Combine that with how public all these negotiations are, and you have a frenzy on your hands. Actors are replaced all the time, but I don't think the process is usually this public.

Agreed, It's tacky that word leaked out publicly on replacing Jeremy Jordan when Matt isn't even available yet.    Sure things like this happen with Broadway shows in gestation, but the fact that it's out in the open  is embarrassing for Jeremy, for anyone, actually.

In addition, Matt isn't even available until January/February of next year at the earliest, so it made no sense to let this out, it's awkward for everyone.

Edited by caracas1914

The producer, Weinstein,best known as a Movie producer,  had an early production  of "Finding Neverland" with songs/cast, etc and fired the creative team and started from scratch again for this latest version.

So it could easily turn into a poor man's version of "Spider Man the Musical" before it's all said and done.  Maybe musicals with characters who can fly through the air is a bad idea...

There hasn't been nearly the level of problems with Finding Neverland as there was with spider man though. None of the cast has had to go to the ER as far as we know for one.

I really want Matthew to succeed in a leading man part what ever it is though, after his Glee role receded so badly.

The producer, Weinstein,best known as a Movie producer, had an early production of "Finding Neverland" with songs/cast, etc and fired the creative team and started from scratch again for

this latest version.

So it could easily turn into a poor man's version of "Spider Man the Musical" before it's all said and done. Maybe musicals with characters who can fly through the air is a bad idea...

" Finding Neverland" did really well out of town, though. The critics' reviews were mixed, but audiences seemed to love it,

I really want Matthew to succeed in a leading man part what ever it is though, after his Glee role receded so badly.

He has as good a shot as any in the cast, and when it comes to Broadway it's almost inconceivable he won't get cast as the leading man in a musical within the next few years if he chooses to go back on the stage.

Edited by caracas1914

The reality of the entertainment business is that in order to have a long career, you have to build on your past successes. The longer any of the cast wait between Glee ending and finding their next jobs, the harder it becomes because you get forgotten very quickly. No one in the cast in an A list name where they can take a year or two off and then come back and expect to find offers waiting. With the exception of Lea and Chris, I think that most of the cast might well be forgotten very shortly after Glee ends. You have to strike while the iron is hot. I don't think that anyone in the cast wants to think of Glee as being the high points of their careers, especially given how young so many of them are. To be blunt, they don't have the luxury of taking a few months off after Glee before they start thinking about what comes next. I agree that the need to really consider what options are open to them so that they do make choices that benefit their careers in the long run, but I think that we are seeing who are getting those good offers and who aren't.

I'm only speaking about those who are still on the show. Of the current cast of regulars, I think that Lea, Chris and Kevin are in the best positions now. Kevin and Chris both have major projects waiting for them next year and Lea has earned enough good notice that I think she'll have a few things to choose from. Now is the time when they still can take advantage of using Glee to try to further their careers but that time is rapidly running out. Glee is no longer a critical or ratings hit and the last episodes are likely to air at a dead time (which will further reduce professional focus on the cast). They've had several years now to make the kind of professional connections and good will that will translate to jobs in the future. If they haven't done it by now, then I think that they are going to have a rougher time in moving their acting or musical careers forward.

Not to be a stickler for facts but Chord just shot a movie (whatever his role may be). I'm a huge fan of Chris but I'm also a a realist and at this point he's hardly a proven movie commodity. SBL got mixed reviews and it's very possible that the shelving of the asylum script has to do with investors pulling out as a result, or something like that. I'm not saying he won't succeed but TV and film are different animals, and it's often surprising which actor from a TV show makes it into movies  - perennial example Jared Leto. Same with Lea, not a proven box office draw so far. I'm not saying they have to do blockbuster roles to be seen as successful but so far a lot of them have had pretty similar level of success in movies, and that includes Darren. I don't think he's sitting on his bum either but he's got dual priorities with the album that takes forever, and who knows what he's planning - but I'm certain he's got stuff planned, he's a hustler. The regulars haven't been free to accept every interesting offer due to their Glee commitment. Let's see what happens when they finish shooting the final season.  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

We talked about that possibility, yes. But do we also think that those three have given up on doing an album or working on their music? I think they'll try to keep this open. I know Darren always says he's working on stuff but it's taking forever. Yet he is schmoozing label and music guys a lot these days, I wonder if he's shopping around. I don't think he's given up on that, even if Columbia is about or has dropped him too. 

Edited by fakeempress

We don't know how any of the regulars are going to do until they have a couple of years under their belt post Glee to see the results of any of their contacts and possible projects/deals.  .

Stans aside, I don't think we know how much ANY of the casts actually works behind the scenes trying to get projects made.   Personally I'm not impressed because celebrity X is shown in a photo with Celebrity Y or with mover and shaker Z, HW is full of photo ops for people, it's like catnip for these people.

It's not that if celebrity X and mover-shaker Z show up together is impressive or means something is cooking right this moment. It's basic networking, it's part of the hustling. Other people prefer more low-key approach but that doesn't mean they don't meet people, they're just not that flashy about it. Ultimately, I also think the presence or absence of projects right now isn't a definite indicator of how things are gonna pan out, there is a sense of where some people are going but it's still early to say.