Type keyword(s) to search

Another World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

How was it ugly? Was he a bad guy character?

The problem I think was that he was not supposed to be a bad guy, just embittered, but they created a backstory in which John had raped Donna and a present in which he was allowed to insist that it had not been rape.  So John's version, which appeared to be what the show considered the truth,  was that he and Donna had been powerfully attracted to each other but she was in denial because of Michael. 

It's a very strange coincidence: First Jensen Buchanan drives drunk and injures somebody and serves a year in jail. Now Anne Heche drives drunk, through incredible good fortune narrowly misses that poor woman who was just sitting in her own home, and will certainly be looking at some kind of criminal proceedings.

Ellen Wheeler is Mormon and so presumably doesn't drink. She should stick to that and avoid becoming the third Vicky/Marley actress to get into DUI trouble.

• Mind Blown 1

Didn't know Wheeler was Mormon.

It's clear now that Anne, who is in a coma with brain injuries, is going to die soon...and it's just such a waste. Tragic and depressing.

Did she never get the right mental help? Was this a random drug spiral?

...burned alive while coked-out and trapped inside a crashed car? 😔 What a horrendous way to go.

I rewatched her scenes with Tom Eplin covering Marley forcing Jake to admit to raping her...it was top-notch stuff.

She was a great actress.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I find it rather interesting that the two arguably most famous alums of Another World die months apart.  Ray "Joey" Liotta and now Anne "Vicky/Marley" Heche.  May they both rest in peace!

• Sad 1

Anne Heche was truly brilliant as Marley and Vicki. Hers was the only Marley I actually liked, she played the vulnerable without making her too perfect and annoying. Her life sounds very troubled. I hope she’s at peace. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I find it rather interesting that the two arguably most famous alums of Another World die months apart.  Ray "Joey" Liotta and now Anne "Vicky/Marley" Heche.  May they both rest in peace!

Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt would like a word.. however I would say Ray and Anne played more integral characters to AW history than those two did so in that regard you have a point. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt would like a word.. however I would say Ray and Anne played more integral characters to AW history than those two did so in that regard you have a point. 

Lots of “famous” people were on AW. But for how many episodes?  Brad was a bit player for three episodes. He didn’t even have five lines. The fact that no one ever mentions Morgan Freeman says it all. Ray and Anne were in Bay City for years. Big difference! When I worked for Capital Cities/ABC back in the late 80’s to mid 90’s, word on the street was that the “Ingenue” category for the Daytime Emmys was invented for a certain 20 year old who used to play Vicky/Marley. 

You mean the "Outstanding Younger Actress" award? That was first introduced in 1985...and the word on the street seems to have gotten it a bit wrong, maybe? Ellen Wheeler did the award in 1986 for playing Vicky/Marley, but that was the second year of the award's existence. The first year, she wasn't even nominated for the award.

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

My ex-roommate and I were talking about that the other day when she passed. We used to watch when we got home from the beach and were getting ready for our evening shifts, and this was around the transition from Wheeler to Heche, and she was HORRENDOUS when she first started! They had her in wigs as Marley, because she couldn't transmit nuance, and it was difficult to distinguish. But, then, over time, she nailed both characters! I truly loved her performance and was sad to see her go, though by that time, I watched irregularly as my life had changed. As an ex-addict, it's even more alarming to remember that you're never truly recovered, and that one slip could be your end.

Anne Heche had a hard time connecting to the Marley character and she asked the writers to rest her for a bit in order for her to develop Marley they acquiesced and wrote her out. Once she got a handle on Marley, the writers brought her back got rid of the stupid wigs she not only nailed Marley but made the character her own surpassing Wheeler who originated the role.

Jensen's Marley was the absolute worst Marley.  Jensen's Vicky eventually became a weird amalgamation of Vicky and Marley.  Vicky's character took a hit with the absence of Marley over the years. Then they eventually brought Wheeler's Marley back as a psycho obsessed with her rapist..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Due to Anne Heche's passing, I have been binge watching another world and the Vicky/Ryan relationship with Anne in the role.  I am loving her and Ryan together but I also enjoy the brotherhood between Dack Rambo's Grant and Ryan.  Ryan has complex feelings for Grant due to their father's favoritism of him and it mirrors Vicky's own relationship with Marley and Donna. It is a shame that Dack Rambo had to leave the show because of his health problem.

I never liked Mark Pinter's Grant, he was always a vile nasty  disgusting creep.  Vicky lost her mind jumping into bed with him.. I can't picture Anne's Vicky doing that since she only had eyes for Ryan.. I can't see Dack's Grant killing Ryan either. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I found this wonderful clip of Vicky pretending to be Marley while Marley extols the virtues of Vicky:

It's remarkable how when Vicky is pretending to be Marley, you can tell she's Vicky because of slight mannerisms. I also love how Marley isn't just a prisspot -- she's a genuinely wonderful lady. 

Anne Heche was such a wonderful actress. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Anne Heche was such a wonderful actress. 

She was indeed. I have noticed in my watching the show recently on how Anne Heche always had a lot of scenes as the twins, whether they were in group scenes interacting with people each other or just scenes with just the two of them. Not to mention each twin had her own frontburner storyline.  No wonder she was tired at the end of her run. 

Donna Swajeski the headwriter of the show at the time recognized Anne's talent and centered the show around the twins. Once Jensen came on as a recast, the show did not want to overwhelm her so they cut back so much on the twin scenes.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

She was indeed. I have noticed in my watching the show recently on how Anne Heche always had a lot of scenes as the twins, whether they were in group scenes interacting with people each other or just scenes with just the two of them. Not to mention each twin had her own frontburner storyline.  No wonder she was tired at the end of her run. 

Donna Swajeski the headwriter of the show at the time recognized Anne's talent and centered the show around the twins. Once Jensen came on as a recast, the show did not want to overwhelm her so they cut back so much on the twin scenes.  

Ugh, to me the character of Vicky Hudson died when Jensen was cast. She just didn't have the spice and humor that Heche had in spades. And Marley was even worse. That whole Ellen Wheeler as Marley/Jensen as Vicky ... ugh.

One thing I liked about Anne Heche was she never pooh-poohed her soap years. She was always happy to talk about it on talk shows and I think she remained in touch with her soap mother Donna for years.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 8/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I can't believe I didn't remember Lindsay Lohan should also be on the most famous alum list until now. Alli is certainly above Brad Pitt's unnamed basketball-playing teenager in terms of significance. 

• Love 1

Anna Stuart remembers Anne Heche.

They had such great chemistry that you forgot how physically different Anne and Anna were and that they didn't look like a believable mother/daughter pairing on first sight.

When Heche had her tragic and still unexplained accident, I immediately contacted Stuart, who was too confused and upset to speak about what was going on. With the space of a few days, she has now graciously agreed. We spoke last night by phone. Stuart was in her upstate New York home, planning to meet her husband, actor James Cromwell, who’s been filming all summer in Los Angeles, for the Emmy Awards.

She told me that on that trip she’d planned to see Heche. They were constantly in touch over the years. Early on Heche had spent a lot of time at Stuart’s home, even after she’d left the soap. “She was closer to me than almost anyone except my husband, my dogs, and my cats,” Stuart said softly.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

I have been watching some clips of Another World after Ellen Wheeler came back as Marley and she has been hitting it out of the park.  As much as I hated Marley falling for her rapist Jake and targeting Vicky and even Donna. I can't help but feel so sorry for Marley because she too was damaged being raised in the Love Household as Donna's sister.  Reginald Love was a monster and did great emotional damage to his 3 children: Nicole, Peter and of course Donna. 

I think the story of Marley going crazy would have been much better if Vicky and Marley had the same face. I know that Jensen refused to play Marley but I think that the story would have had more depth if they had remained identical twins.  Jensen briefly played the twins and she showed  subtle signs of Marley's unraveling when she confronted Vicky about her selfishness that led to their father's death. 

I remember Anne Heche's Vicky always accusing Marley of always coveting what was Vicky's.  First it was Jake, then it was Jamie and then Steven. This story as much as I hated it showed that Vicky was right on some level. I also wished that the show had gone into depth on how the twins being separated at birth affected them psychologically and that story could have highlighted that..

Edited by Pearson80
On 8/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Nancy Frangione, Cecile, passed away at 70 on the 18th.

This does not compute for me, somehow. The characters (and actors, apparently) I knew and loved from the great days of Another World remain fixed within me, a constellation of memories. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I just can’t imagine that Frangione is gone.  

16 hours ago, Sandman said:

This does not compute for me, somehow. The characters (and actors, apparently) I knew and loved from the great days of Another World remain fixed within me, a constellation of memories. 

I understand. And in our mind, they will forever be 35 yr old.

I feel the same way about Carl. Charles K being gone does not work for me. I picture Carl delighting in his close relationships with the twins and finally earning Matt and Amanda's trust. Doting on Rachel and Vicky and Paulina. Reciting poetry.

Another World is still so vivid and alive in my mind. It was always a fixed place for me. The holiday episodes, the reconciliations between loving friends, the galas, the latest Gallant novel or love triangle...it all goes on.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2022 at 11:06 PM, Pearson80 said:

I have been watching some clips of Another World after Ellen Wheeler came back as Marley and she has been hitting it out of the park.  As much as I hated Marley falling for her rapist Jake and targeting Vicky and even Donna. I can't help but feel so sorry for Marley because she too was damaged being raised in the Love Household as Donna's sister.  Reginald Love was a monster and did great emotional damage to his 3 children: Nicole, Peter and of course Donna. 

I think the story of Marley going crazy would have been much better if Vicky and Marley had the same face. I know that Jensen refused to play Marley but I think that the story would have had more depth if they had remained identical twins.  Jensen briefly played the twins and she showed  subtle signs of Marley's unraveling when she confronted Vicky about her selfishness that led to their father's death. 

I remember Anne Heche's Vicky always accusing Marley of always coveting what was Vicky's.  First it was Jake, then it was Jamie and then Steven. This story as much as I hated it showed that Vicky was right on some level. I also wished that the show had gone into depth on how the twins being separated at birth affected them psychologically and that story could have highlighted that..

I never understood writers struggling to write for Marley because her character had so many facets.  She was raised for 18 years thinking Donna was her older sister and then finding out that she was really her mother.  That was never fully explored except that Marley always called Donna 'Donna'.

Truth be told...that actually happened in my extended family.  Someone was raised for 21 years thinking someone was their older sister only to find out they were actually their mom.  Lots and lots of psychologically issues that never got resolved.

The show hinted at Marley's mental state during the Anne Heche years...but wasn't fully explored till the last months.

I follow our beloved Linda Dano on Instagram and she has started a podcast called "In with Linda Dano" that I think AW fans would definitely enjoy.  So far she's had Stephen Schnetzer, Anna Holbrook, Judi Evans and Anna Stuart, plus some non-AW folks like Robert S. Woods, Deidre Hall and Erika Slezak.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she has Alicia Coppola on soon!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, TaraS1 said:

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she has Alicia Coppola on soon!

Does anybody else wonder why Alicia Coppola never had a bigger career?

I remember watching the pilot episode of Star Trek: Voyager, excited to see her working, only to watch Lt. Stadi bite it before the plot even got going! (And Stadi was to have been a Betazoid, too, dang it!)

I seem to remember that she and Dano grew genuinely fond of each other; maybe that increases the chances that she’ll appear on the podcast. 

Edited by Sandman
On 9/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sandman said:

I just watched That Gal ... Who Was In That Thing where Alicia is one of the actresses interviewed. She didn't mention Another World at all but she talked a little about standing up for herself so that some people might consider her a "difficult bitch" and also that she has declined some jobs because she has 3 children to look after.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, TaraS1 said:

I follow our beloved Linda Dano on Instagram and she has started a podcast called "In with Linda Dano" that I think AW fans would definitely enjoy.  So far she's had Stephen Schnetzer, Anna Holbrook, Judi Evans and Anna Stuart, plus some non-AW folks like Robert S. Woods, Deidre Hall and Erika Slezak.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she has Alicia Coppola on soon!

Linda Dano just released an episode of her podcast with Alicia.

https://spotify.link/Lcho4TT7YCb

On 9/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sandman said:

I've wondered that for 30 years, because I think she's a phenomenal talent...not to mention a badass woman and all around fabulous human being.  She's worked consistently for decades, but it just seems like the stars never aligned to for her to become a household name like I had always hoped she would. At least she's always had steady work, though.

23 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Linda Dano just released an episode of her podcast with Alicia.

https://spotify.link/Lcho4TT7YCb

I haven't listened yet, but I already know I'm going to love it lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

I've wondered that for 30 years, because I think she's a phenomenal talent...not to mention a badass woman and all around fabulous human being.  She's worked consistently for decades, but it just seems like the stars never aligned to for her to become a household name like I had always hoped she would. At least she's always had steady work, though.

One of her appearances I remember most was when was on an episode of C.S.I. She played a Dr. who ended up being guilty.

@Jaded Yep, I think that's probably the guest appearance that sticks out the most in people's minds lol

I think I'll always appreciate her guest role on NYPD Blue the most, because I tuned in just to see her and that ended up becoming my favorite drama series of all time.  Plus, it was Jimmy Smits' first episode!  (I remember her saying that Linda Dano was a huge fan of the show, so Alicia got Jimmy and Dennis Franz to sign her script and she gave it to Linda.)

I just found the 30th anniversary episode of AW online today and watched it while cooking. It was the '60s themed party I'd heard about but never actually saw. Fun costumes and tons of great music. They had money for all the big 60s tunes, from Beach Boys to Louis Armstrong.

Big episode, with Amanda getting engaged to Grant, John and amnesiac Sharlene aka Kate sharing a dance (why did that storyline seem to go on and on forever??) and Carl angrily calling out the whole cast for thinking the worst of him (dude, can you seriously blame them?), prompting Rachel to propose marriage...all set against the backdrop of a laidback daytime costume party celebrating the family company.

And apparently media were invited too because Iris gave a speech and photos were taken LOL.

It was weirdly lowkey, honestly, but after years now of watching campy Days of our Lives, it was so refreshing to see people acting like...like people, you know?

The warmth of that cast was infectious. And in spite of all the big stuff happening, it never felt overblown.

And Aunt Liz was there! Was she a character from Day One or something? She seemed like a veteran but she rarely appeared in the years that followed.

A bit strange how the Cory grounds seemed about 5 times larger that day, though, with multiple sets needed to extend the backyard, since the pool took up one of them.

At the end, the cast thanked the audience and a montage of clips was played. Really beautiful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

A bit strange how the Cory grounds seemed about 5 times larger that day, though, with multiple sets needed to extend the backyard, since the pool took up one of them.

Have you ever seen the double wedding of Mac and Rachel and Sandy and Blaine? That was a location shoot on quite a large property to represent the Cory estate (and including  a real swimming pool that Julia pushed Felicia into). And when Ada hid Catlin in one of the buildings on the property it was clear it was supposed to be pretty large. I believe there was a location shoot where Catlin saved Sally when her horse ran away. 

• Love 1

No I never saw that! Although, funny you should mention it, during the end of the 30th anniversary episode, when they did the montage of clips, they did show a shot of Felicia getting pushed into the pool and I freeze-framed it (LOL) to check and see if it was the traditional "Cory pool" that Lila pushed Cass into years later. I couldn't quite tell.

Mystery solved I guess :)

(edited)

I often think of AW and find it so, so sad that fewer and fewer people out there do too.

Really wish the show had been preserved and streamed somehow.

Soaps just vanish into the ether.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
(edited)

Considering what a game-changer AW was to the form and substance of the genre, I agree. 

And I definitely remember the location shoot where Catlin saved Sally from the runaway horse. 

Edited by Sandman
Catlin and Sally forever!

This year will be the 60th anniversary of AW and apparently someone has arranged a celebration in Tarrytown NY on May 4th 2024. I am not connected in any way and don't have any plan to attend but thought I should mention it here in case anyone might be interested. There are some cast and crew planning to attend -- names are behind the details link.

The invitation appears to be open for registration with a deadline of April 4th. 

https://www.greenvelope.com/card/.public-8efca4cc5d754199b8abcf5451a6cc4235373031343331#card_1

(edited)

That is so cool !!! Thank you for sharing, I'd have never known.

...I'm a bit surprised at the guest list though. Only two major characters will be present from the last decade of the series: Michael Hudson and Felicia Gallant.

That's great and all - love them - and I'm not sneering at vets from the 70s or 80s by any means but....no Cass? No Frankie? Marley? Lorna? Joe? Gary? Sharlene? Lucas? Grant? Donna? Amanda? Rachel??

I have no clue where anyone lives, mind you, but if they're hoping for a good turnout, hopefully some more of the big "A Names" get involved. It would be so, so nice to see more of the "recent" vets attending. (You know what I mean)

Let's see...I think I heard Tom Eplin is very much out of acting, and Jensen is too and had that drunk driving arrest thing happen semi-recently...Wyndham seemingly wants nothing to do with the fandom, from what little I've heard, and just sculpts in LA or something....Judi Evans works occasionally at DAYS so therefore lives in or near LA, so this would be a long trip...

Question about the actual show: I was watching the scenes where Joe tells Donna that Michael has died (brutal,  fantastic acting from Anna Stuart), and I was looking at the set for Donna's house and thinking....isn't that the set for Cass's house too? By 1999, a year later, he's in a strikingly similar home entertaining Lila, and Anne O'Donnell, and Charlie.

....if it IS Donna's place (which she had for years and years, going back to the Anne Heche era) did they ever explain how Cass ended up there? Donna was essentially living at Vicky's cottage for the last months of the show...

Am I just confusing two sets? Or did it suddenly become Cass' place?

Edited by DisneyBoy