Type keyword(s) to search

Another World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Jaded said:

When he made appearances on GH in 2013/14 he was awful acting wise. His character was supposed to be a bad guy but wow seeing his behavior in scenes was like watching a bad soap parody.

Interesting clip...and you're totally right. His acting (and what seemed like a bad attempt at an accent) was on par with a soap parody. OTOH, I watched the entire 4:50 minutes, and now I need to know what the outcome of that story was 😂 

Did (Stavros?) succeed with the implantation? Did the pretty blond (don't know the actress' name) have his baby? Enquiring minds need to know the end of this 6 year old storyline😄

The guy who played her husband looks like a young Stefan from Days.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

That was Days but he also sexually harrassed his coworkers and KA, LR etc teamed up to get rid of him.

In addition to LR and KA, didn't Alison Sweeney's parents pull her from the show for a while when he started up with Miriam Parrish since they were about the same age?  The official line is that he and Miriam officially started dating when she was 18 (and he 31) but I think there were rumors that it started earlier.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In addition to LR and KA, didn't Alison Sweeney's parents pull her from the show for a while when he started up with Miriam Parrish since they were about the same age?  The official line is that he and Miriam officially started dating when she was 18 (and he 31) but I think there were rumors that it started earlier.

Yep which is why Sami ran away and ended up in Seattle taken in by some chick named Ashley who was played by Tara Reid(that part I remember vividly). Then Sami returns pregnant to crash Austin/Carrie's wedding.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:26 AM, MsTree said:

Interesting clip...and you're totally right. His acting (and what seemed like a bad attempt at an accent) was on par with a soap parody.

He was almost as bad over a longer duration when he played Stavros during the "Endgame" story in 2001. The character had to be unthawed from frozen status for the story to begin, and some people on boards were calling him "The Ice Dork." Oh, memories.  

The only redeeming feature was Constance Towers's performance as his mother, Helena. She really committed to what seemed a mother-on-son crush. I'll never forget her stroking RKK's naked chest while making little ecstatic-cooing noises.  

On 9/12/2019 at 3:26 AM, MsTree said:

OTOH, I watched the entire 4:50 minutes, and now I need to know what the outcome of that story was 😂 

Did (Stavros?) succeed with the implantation? Did the pretty blond (don't know the actress' name) have his baby? Enquiring minds need to know the end of this 6 year old storyline😄

The pretty blonde is Lulu Spencer Falconeri (Emme Rylan), daughter of Luke and Laura. Yes and no on whether it worked. It didn't seem so at the time, but years later they revealed she had had a daughter as a result of the embryo-implantation hijinks. But the father-donor was not Stavros, but another Cassadine, Valentin, who is one of the show's villains now. He's played by the guy on Seinfeld who would go into a trance when he heard "Desperado," if that gives you a face. You should come and enjoy/suffer with us! There aren't many soaps left; we have to take what we can get. Ha ha.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

You should come and enjoy/suffer with us! There aren't many soaps left; we have to take what we can get. Ha ha.

Thanks so much for the explanation and follow-up to my questions. The part about stroking RKK's chest just gave me the creeps. 😬

I currently watch B&B (since '97) and Days (since the beginning), along with the new Dynasty and Grand Hotel (nighttime soaps). I'm not sure I can take another one, but thanks for the invitation.

• Love 2

The only redeeming feature was Constance Towers's performance as his mother, Helena.

I loved her in that role. She knew how to dish out super-bitchy lines. I''ll never forget this one to Elizabeth:

"Three children, by three different men, not married to any of them. You're ripe for welfare!"

Edited by Hiyo

How did Jamie leave the show? It must have been around the time he and Marley were together, right? Did the rape cause them to break up..?

I only knew that RKK had gotten involved with a really young woman on Days who he ended up marrying. I didn't know anything else about Diva Behavior. It's strange, because he definitely had a presence on both Days and Another World and was obviously very handsome and charismatic. You would think with everything he had going for him he would just be polite to people and not ruffle any feathers. He could have had a very long career in soaps.

Thanks for explaining that bit about the show possibly pairing up Amanda and Jake again. In watching old clips online, I saw some where it seemed like Amanda and Jake were getting close again and others where it seemed Amanda and Shane were getting close. I didn't hate the actress who played Amanda during that time, but she just was saddled with such bad stories. Her pretending to be Sidney Prescott and creating a fake affair for Carl was gross and Matt covering it up wasn't any better. (Interesting how Iris was villifed for going to extreme lengths to stop Rachel's marriage to Carl, and yet Matt and Amanda went to similar extremes a short while later, and Iris' name never came up. Yes, I'm still a little bitter that Iris wasn't brought back after being sent off to jail.)

But then Amanda just also seemed like this woman who couldn't get a date to save her life, either from Jake or Shane. In the span of a couple of years she went from being a powerful CEO type with a young daughter and a senator for husband, to a gal with no responsibilities and no man who people seemed to either look down on or pity. I'm so glad Sandra Ferguson came back because things seem to completely turn around once she did.

I have to admit she always seemed very happy on screen. She had a wonderful smile and I liked how much she looked like Victoria Wyndham while still looking unique.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, Hiyo said:

I loved her in that role. She knew how to dish out super-bitchy lines. I''ll never forget this one to Elizabeth:

"Three children, by three different men, not married to any of them. You're ripe for welfare!"

While that line is accurate it bugged me because Sonny has how many kids by how many different women? The women tend to be slut shamed in soaps though... 

• Love 2
On 9/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, Irlandesa said:

He also sexually harassed Crystal Chappel who played Carly.  It was more sexual assault than harassment. They would block  love scenes during rehearsal with the director  and everything was fine. Once they were taping them, he would touch her in places that she said that only her husband had a right to..It is why she left the show and Carly was quickly written out with Lawrence. She also said she did not say anything to higher ups because she felt that nobody would believe her and she feared reprisals. She said had Peter Reckel had never left the show as Bo, she would not have left. I often wonder how Bo/Carly would have been like when Hope came back from the dead. Not to mention, what trajectory Billie would have had as a character. She was ruined during the Krista Allen years when she played Billie.

• Love 4

Did anyone catch the AW Quarantine Reunion, with Joe, Linda, Amy, Stephen and Anna (sort of). The connection was really terrible and the moderator didn't do a good job of preparing questions but it was nice to see everyone. Apparently the actor who played John Hudson has suffered a stroke recently, and Tom Eplin long since retired from acting and isn't really in touch with any of them. Apparently that's the case also with Victoria Wyndham, who some of them saw at Charles Keating's Memorial but not since.

Apparently the gang got together in New York sometime in the last few years and want to do it again once all this is over. I'm glad that some of them are still in touch with one another. Amy seems like a doll.

13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Did anyone catch the AW Quarantine Reunion, with Joe, Linda, Amy, Stephen and Anna (sort of). The connection was really terrible and the moderator didn't do a good job of preparing questions but it was nice to see everyone. Apparently the actor who played John Hudson has suffered a stroke recently, and Tom Eplin long since retired from acting and isn't really in touch with any of them. Apparently that's the case also with Victoria Wyndham, who some of them saw at Charles Keating's Memorial but not since.

Apparently the gang got together in New York sometime in the last few years and want to do it again once all this is over. I'm glad that some of them are still in touch with one another. Amy seems like a doll.

Pardon my ignorance, but when/where was this reunion held? I used to have a major crush on David (John Hudson) and I'm so sorry to hear of his recent stroke. Also used to get a kick out of Tom Eplin. He's too young to be retired, right?

Please refresh my memory as to the character Amy played. If you have any photos or a link where I could see the "gang", I'd really appreciate it. Also, any further info you can share about the reunion. Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Pardon my ignorance, but when/where was this reunion held? I used to have a major crush on David (John Hudson) and I'm so sorry to hear of his recent stroke. Also used to get a kick out of Tom Eplin. He's too young to be retired, right?

Please refresh my memory as to the character Amy played. If you have any photos or a link where I could see the "gang", I'd really appreciate it. Also, any further info you can share about the reunion. Thanks in advance.

I found it on YouTube. Amy was the 2nd actress to play Josie who was Sharlene's daughter. Amy was also in the role the longest from 93 to 98.

• Love 2

It was good to see them on the reunion.  The others reunions (not AW) have had better sound quality, less glitches.

Speaking of Sandra Ferguson, she did not have kind words for RKK.  She said, a while back, that she tried to reconnect with him or saw him after he left AW and he was not friendly.  She didn't get into much detail.

I also liked Jake and Amanda together when the red head? was playing her.  I  was never a Jake/Viki fan, with Jensen in the role.

• Love 2

Marcus Smythe, who played Peter Love from the end of 1985 until November 1987, has died. The Peter of that era was cruel and abusive to Brittany. I was touched to read Sharon Gabet's response to his death:

Marcus was so kind to me during a difficult story, [...] He played an abusive husband, Peter Love, to my character Brittany Love [on AW]. I was also pregnant at the time which made it rough to do the sometimes violent and highly emotional scenes. He would almost weep at the end of taping telling me how sorry he was that he had to say and do those things to me. May he rest in peace.

• Love 5
On 6/29/2019 at 11:00 AM, howmanywords said:

Back when I was growing up in NY I had cousins that lived a few blocks away from where AW filmed in Brooklyn (The Cosby Show also filmed in the same place). Such great memories and I got to meet many cast members. 

Oh wow, that is so awesome, I would have killed for that opportunity back in the day.  Around 2004 or 2005, a friend of mine was working at ATWT (after they moved into AW's old studio) and we got to visit her there.  It was nice to meet some of the ATWT cast (not you, though, Maura West) but all I really cared about was knowing I was in the same building where my beloved AW had filmed. That was like hallowed ground to me.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:31 AM, Irlandesa said:

I think I've mentioned this before but Anne Heche owned me during the "Who Shot Jake?"story. There's a scene she gives which is probably one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, female performances ever given in any medium/genre--not just soaps.

I will never, ever forget that bathroom scene.  I can still remember exactly where I was when I watched it, it was that powerful and memorable.  And as much as I grew to like Jensen as Vicky, I always thought Anne was the superior actress, if for no other reason than that one moment/episode.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:56 AM, Irlandesa said:

Great in real life. Excruciatingly boring on screen.  She was a fun character who basically became "mom" when she married Joe.  JFP didn't care about them and I think it showed. 

And if I'm remembering it all correctly, wasn't there some drama over Judi's weight?  She was still carrying baby weight after she had her son and JFP had an issue with it.  Or maybe we all just hated JFP so for making Paulina boring that we just assumed she was mean to Judi about her weight.  I still can't believe Judi's son passed away.  And then she had some horrible horseback riding accident earlier this year and nearly died herself.  

I've skipped the AW Zoom reunions just because watching those things give me weird second-hand embarrassment for some reason, but I know there was a second one that Alicia Coppola, Kale Brown, Alice Barrett, Christine Tucci and Anna Stuart did.  I follow Alicia on Instagram (her Lorna is my all-time favorite AW character) and she hasn't aged a day, she's absolutely gorgeous.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

And if I'm remembering it all correctly, wasn't there some drama over Judi's weight?  She was still carrying baby weight after she had her son and JFP had an issue with it. 

Yes.  But I don't remember where that originated or if Judi ever confirmed it.

But this is standard operating procedure with JFP, I believe.  She did it on GH too.

12 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

And if I'm remembering it all correctly, wasn't there some drama over Judi's weight?  She was still carrying baby weight after she had her son and JFP had an issue with it.  Or maybe we all just hated JFP so for making Paulina boring that we just assumed she was mean to Judi about her weight. 

They gave Judi a storyline about Paulina having baby weight and taking pills or something, didn't they? At the time that was considered better than the way they had treated Laura Malone [Blaine], who I think was just given an ultimatum to lose the weight and then was fired and replaced by the less interesting but thinner Judy Dewey before the character was written out when Chris Rich [Sandy] left.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
added character names
23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But this is standard operating procedure with JFP, I believe.  She did it on GH too.

I definitely remember her reign of terror on GH.  Quite the beast, wasn't she?  And there was the whole FOJ (Friend of Jill) thing where she - allegedly - kept giving jobs to guys she liked, like Kale Browne.  And I seem to remember her having the hots for Tim Gibbs and John Bolger.

@SomeTameGazelle I think you're right about the pill storyline.  It was criminal what they did to Paulina, basically sacrificing her at the altar of Vicky.  But then again, everything going on those last few years was a mess.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

And there was the whole FOJ (Friend of Jill) thing where she - allegedly - kept giving jobs to guys she liked, like Kale Browne.

Did she show favoritism to Kale? I remember complaints that she catered heavily to David Forsyth and, inexplicably, Kevin McClatchy, but not whether Kale was also on the list. 

Speaking of Kevin McClatchy, I really wish that Justin Chambers had lasted longer in the role of Nick.  

On 9/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, TaraS1 said:

I will never, ever forget that bathroom scene.  I can still remember exactly where I was when I watched it, it was that powerful and memorable.  And as much as I grew to like Jensen as Vicky, I always thought Anne was the superior actress, if for no other reason than that one moment/episode.

Jensen's Vicky became more like Marley as time went on and it added to my dislike of her..  Her Vicky lost something special with Marley's absence.  Anne Heche was awesome as  Vicky and Marley..  She gave Vicky a vulnerability that made you love her even when she was being difficult and Marley a quiet strength that Jensen could not duplicate.. Jensen was okay as Vicky, her Marley was the absolute worst.. Having re-watched the show on youtube, I noticed that Vicky and Marley were always in scenes together in almost every episode, whether alone or with other people in group scenes, If there was a big party the twins were both there, no wonder Anne burnt out and opted to leave.. I don't remember that during Jensen's era of playing the twins.. Her Vicky and Marley were barely together and their stories rarely intersect, diminishing the twins' bond that was always there during Anne and to a certain extent when Ellen originated both roles.

• Love 2

I don't know if I can remember 10 scenarios, but some of the highlights I enjoyed are:

Steve Frame & Alice's romance (early 60s)

Cass & Felicia's friendship, and later with Wally

Rachel & Mac's marriage

Anne Heche's twingate along with Tom Eplin's Jake

And of course any scene with David Forsythe 😍

• Love 2

I'd add:

Bennett Publishing/The Chief/Iris' return in the late 80s.

The Mac/Rachel/Janice/Mitch storyline.

Stuff I didn't see, but wish I had, since it sounds good (have only seen bits and pieces on Youtube and wish I could see more):

The Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle (this was when Rachel was in full-on uber bitch mode).

The original Iris/Rachel feud.

8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

What would you guys say were the Top Ten AW moments?

I have a few but they're all from the 90s episodes....

I am going to interpret "moments" as specific scenes rather than whole storylines. These 3 are in my top 10 for sure. 

Catlin after his conviction for David's murder lying to Sally that he never loved her. 

Jake going into his room to be greeted by what appeared to be slutty Marley and turned out to be her unknown twin. 

Adam Cory apologizing to MJ and the McKinnon family for jilting MJ on their wedding day and taking all the blame.

Hmmm...if specific scenes, here are 2:

Rachel and Iris having drinks. The olive that Iris was supposed to eat fell onto her plate, causing the actresses to briefly break character. Rather than just cutting and re-doing it, they just went on and kept it as is. A nice moment.

I always like this confrontation too between Rachel and Iris, and Iris confessing to Mac that she was The Chief.

13 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The original Iris/Rachel feud.

This storyline has to be in the Top Ten not just for Another World, but for the whole genre. This is when soap writers were actually writers. Harding Lemay changed the rules.

• Useful 1

Just started watching old Another World episodes. I was always such a huge fan of Vicky/Ryan, Jake/Paulina, and Cass/Frankie. I feel AW started to go down hill when they killed off Ryan and then later killed Frankie. I never cared for Jake/Vicky. I always felt they were better off being really good friends. So, I have decided my favorite years to watch are from 1991-1995. 

• Love 4
On 6/14/2021 at 4:51 AM, Jaded said:

Looking back the introduction of Justine was the beginning of the end for me...🙁

For me, it was the death of Frankie. I went back towards the end, but then whoosh, it was gone.

• Love 2

I think Justine was introduced before Rachel married Carl (and I think I stopped watching before their "love story" (ick) anyway), but that marriage seemed so incontrovertibly wrong to me that it the show had plainly lost its way. I could never bring myself to watch after that. Another World was the soap I loved first and best, and the idea of Rachel falling in love with Carl Hutchins ruined it.

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I preferred Cali Timmons as Paulina over Judy Evans.  I loved her Paulina who was a mixture of vulnerability and toughness.  She had lots of chemistry with Tom Eplin.  Jake confronting Paulina about her trying to kill him remains my favorite Jake/Paulina scenes of all time.  They were the only characters featured in that episode.

I don't think a lot of fans of the show gave Cali credit for what she brought to the role.. I always thought that she got a raw deal when she got dumped for Judy..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6

I've been watching episodes from 1980- the Mitch/Rachel/Mac and the baby timeline. There are so many full episodes. But it's hard for me because I keep thinking "That is NOT my Cecile. And that is not MY Jamie either."

But anyway, I've never seen this time period and I'm having a little problem with who everyone is. Who is the guy that makes that woman sing? Her name is Tracy and he's just a jerk.

• Love 1

Since there isn’t a thread for it I have to say I’ve been watching Texas on YouTube and it really was a good soap. I usually only watched it in the summer because I was taping GL and GH at that time. Texas had fun characters and beautiful sets. No soap was going overtake either GH or GL in the ratings so they should have just left it on the air longer. I know it’s a business but I’m sure it brought some money in for the next work. They probably could have gotten a good 5 years out of it instead of the 2 they ended up,with.

Currently, I’m watching the David Forsyth years. He was super good looking here. He would go on to be a bigger star on Another World where he rocked an awesome beard and body in his tight jeans. Oh! He could act, too. LOL!!!! The 80’s and 90’s were a great time for the soaps. 

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Currently, I’m watching the David Forsyth years. He was super good looking here. He would go on to be a bigger star on Another World where he rocked an awesome beard and body in his tight jeans. Oh! He could act, too. LOL!!!! The 80’s and 90’s were a great time for the soaps. 

I couldn't agree with you more! Especially about David Forsyth. He was my "hall pass" for many, many years. 😍

12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I first saw David Forsyth on Search For Tomorrow. I liked Hogan and Sunny. But John Hudson's introduction on Another World was ugly and the character wasn't well-handled until Anna Holbrook came on the scene.

• Love 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11085985/Actress-Anne-Heche-gets-wild-crash-LA-drove-blue-Mini-Cooper-garage.html

I came here to let people know as well. Just horrible.

I had no idea about her childhood but apparently her father raped her, died of AIDS and then her brother killed himself.

All that, plus Celestia and the Ellen relationship...she's had a very bizarre, awful life. I'm so sad to see it come to this.

On 5/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

John Hudson's introduction on Another World was ugly and the character wasn't well-handled until Anna Holbrook came on the scene.

How was it ugly? Was he a bad guy character?

Love Holbrook - always felt she should have been brought back for more than just the Josie/Cameron dead baby stuff.

She glowed and seemed like a great person.