Type keyword(s) to search

20/20 - General Discussion

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

My DVR cut off before it said where the children were placed, can someone fill me in.  

I've seen this story a number of times, and it always breaks my heart. That wonderful couple and their happy life ends in the most ungodly horrific way possible. 

Skylar in that last interview: "I'm generally a good person. I'm nice to everybody." I wanted to punch that bitch in the face so bad. 

• Love 9

What a horrific murder scenario.

Skylar should be living on bread and water with no TV, movies, activities, or privileges of any kind. And ditto for the others involved.

I can't imagine those poor children's reactions when they find out about their evil parents.

• Love 8

Sanctions have been issued and several posts removed for misgendering the murderer Skylar Deleon, the subject of the piece shown 1/17/2020. To repudiate Deleon by misgendering her is to repudiate her gender identity, not her crimes or her character. That insults transgender people in particular, and everyone's gender. 

For more information, the GLAAD Media Reference Guide is a helpful resource. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Pallas said:

Sanctions have been issued and several posts removed for misgendering the murderer Skylar Deleon, the subject of the piece shown 1/17/2020. To repudiate Deleon by misgendering her is to repudiate her gender identity, not her crimes or her character. That insults transgender people in particular, and everyone's gender. 

For more information, the GLAAD Media Reference Guide is a helpful resource. 

Thank you.

• Love 1

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if Jackie had stayed on land during the test of seaworthiness.  This is a horrible story, driven by the actions of despicable people.  But maybe other boat sellers have thought of the Hawks and used a fail-safe for their own safety.  But these despicable murderers probably had a plan if one or both of them had remained behind.  They don’t come any lower than the happy couple who picks up a video camera to record Thanksgiving, and hide behind a toddler in a police interrogation.

What happened to the notary - was she charged too?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have seen that story so many times. I am so sick of the same crimes being done in every true-crime show. You can’t tell me there’s not other murders that they can spin into a tv show. And, now I feel like a monster wanting more murders.....

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

ANOTHER focus on Jodi Arias?  I didn't even watch it.  I am beyond frustrated with the rehash of the same cases over and over and over.......

I’ve started deleting 20/20 without watching lately because they keep redoing cases that have already been done hundreds of times.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

ANOTHER focus on Jodi Arias?  I didn't even watch it.  I am beyond frustrated with the rehash of the same cases over and over and over.......

I haven’t seen this one. - is she back on TV because of her pending appeal, I wonder? Human garbage. 

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the episode last night about Nick McGuffin who had his manslaughter conviction for killing his girlfriend overturned? To say these cops/prosecutors had tunnel vision would be too generous - their vision was not nearly that wide. 

How in the world the jury convicted him is beyond me, but also interesting that at the time Oregon was one of only two states that could convict someone of manslaughter without all jurors voting to convict. He was acquitted of first degree murder and the jury was 10-2 for guilty on the manslaughter charge. Since then (2011) it sounds like the law has changed in Oregon so that there has to be a unanimous verdict for manslaughter too.

So, so many holes in this case.  But the one thing that floored me, besides the fact that the crime lab knew when she was killed in 2000 that there was unidentified male DNA on Leah's shoes but didn't report it, was the paint chip on her top that the cops didn't bother to disclose to the defense. The cop said that he didn't know what a paint chip on her top had to do with the case. WTF? Like teenage girls walk around all the time with random paint chips on their clothing. 

I could type paragraphs on this case - it was truly mind boggling! 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Did anyone watch the episode last night about Nick McGuffin who had his manslaughter conviction for killing his girlfriend overturned? To say these cops/prosecutors had tunnel vision would be too generous - their vision was not nearly that wide. 

How in the world the jury convicted him is beyond me, but also interesting that at the time Oregon was one of only two states that could convict someone of manslaughter without all jurors voting to convict. He was acquitted of first degree murder and the jury was 10-2 for guilty on the manslaughter charge. Since then (2011) it sounds like the law has changed in Oregon so that there has to be a unanimous verdict for manslaughter too.

So, so many holes in this case.  But the one thing that floored me, besides the fact that the crime lab knew when she was killed in 2000 that there was unidentified male DNA on Leah's shoes but didn't report it, was the paint chip on her top that the cops didn't bother to disclose to the defense. The cop said that he didn't know what a paint chip on her top had to do with the case. WTF? Like teenage girls walk around all the time with random paint chips on their clothing. 

I could type paragraphs on this case - it was truly mind boggling! 

I just watched this. Horrifying that the poor guy served nine years before his conviction was overturned. It’s heartbreaking that so many still believe he’s guilty. 

• Love 9

I don't understand how the jury even convicted Mcguffin. This is even less than circumstantial. It appeared to me the police just wanted to close it instead of doing any actual investigating. They had tunnel vision. Terrifying. 

• Love 7

I found the Sheriff's behavior off-putting. Why do you need to call the 20/20 crew in for the "investigation" other than to glorify yourself? Great to see Nick able to tell his side of the story to those who conspired to stalk him before his arrest. 

The whole thing was obvious grandstanding on the part of the Sherriff and the DA. Very troubling. 

Guilt and innocence are difficult to determine by watching edited snippets from someone's life but ... Nick seemed completely credible to me in 2000, 2011, and 2020. His anguish seems real as is his grief and desire to find Leah's killer.

• Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:42 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

I just watched this. Horrifying that the poor guy served nine years before his conviction was overturned. It’s heartbreaking that so many still believe he’s guilty. 

And his original sentence was only ten years, so he had almost served the entire time....I hope they will eventually track down the real killer so he can be fully exonerated.

• Love 4
(edited)

Someone (maybe the two arguing men) accidentally hit her with a car. It's going to be hard to solve since it was random,  her body was decomposed and the sheriff and DA just wanted to solve it.

Points for the Hitchcock connection during the trial. McGuffin was actually the McGuffin!

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 6

Last night’s episode regarding the kidnap and torture of the marijuana dispensary guy left me with a big question.  They couldn’t prove Nayeri was the one who did the cutting, but couldn’t the woman who was also kidnapped identify his voice?  She heard what he was saying while he did it.  I wonder if they ever put her on the stand. 

• Love 5

I wondered the same thing, plus wouldn't she have DNA on her too? That whole episode kept me engrossed through the entire thing, it was really well done. And it's scary to think that other kidnappings could happen for the same reason, marijuana proceeds can't be deposited in federal banks. That is just so stupid. It's money, not pot. No wonder Walter White bought a car wash.

I hope the others get a couple of life sentences too. And man, that guy was all kinds of creepy. (I've forgotten his name.) But what a good episode.

• Love 8

This story was insane! I lived in Newport Beach at the time those guys escaped from the Orange County jail - scary!

The law student girlfriend confounds me. How can you be a lawyer after funding an illegal business and abetting kidnapping? I get that she made a deal with prosecutors for her testimony, but who would hire her? 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

This story was insane!

Insane truly describes this story. I don't blame you for being scared since those three drove up and down the coast and hung out pretty much everywhere and no one -- including the cops! -- spotted them. Until the homeless man in San Francisco. Just think with the demise of so many printed newspapers, the odds of someone living on the street recognizing a criminal from a newspaper photo are bleak these days.

I thought the idea that the glove with Nayeri's DNA inside it was planted was dumb. First, the cops would need the DNA, then put it in the glove, then put the glove in the vehicle. I also wonder why anyone on the jury wouldn't think he's guilty, and why the jury was sent out of the room when Nayeri was having his tiz fit with the prosecutor. Aren't they there to judge him based on what they see and hear in court? And since Nayeri was testifying, why did they have to leave when he was saying things that might help them find out what kind of man he is? Insane for sure.

I seldom watch 20/20, but this was done so much better than any Dateline episode, my usual watch.

• Love 7

The law student wife confuses me as well, she got married and lived with this man and her parents didn't know? They paid her bills....did they never visit her? How did she hide him from her friends? How did he not go to jail for manslaughter while intoxicated and fleeing the goddamned country!?!?! After the manslaughter charge on his record he should have done time for assaulting his wife. Though she is no Saint, she should have done some time "Shegerian took three trips to see Nayeri, one to Turkey in late 2012 and two to Dubai in early 2013. She brought him clothes, medicine and, over the course of the three trips, $50,000 to $60,000 in cash, she said." If you google her she is quite the hot shot lawyer now. I believe she was more than happy to help him until she got caught.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 2

Last night's episode about the New Hampshire 25-30-year-old cold case, the bones in the barrel, was another gripper. 20/20 does so much better than Dateline; Dateline repeats so much during the hour, and works to throw red herrings out before revealing the killer ... this show is straight forward and just gives the facts and how things came together, which I appreciate. I'm stunned, however, thinking that the second barrel was there for a few decades before someone walked back and actually found it. Yikes.

I wonder if Terry's name or any or his fake names are on a birth certificate somewhere. It's my thinking the murdered daughter's mother is also in a barrel in some remote location, even though the daughter was found with the other girl's bones. I wonder if the mother of Terry's daughter was the murdered woman in the barrel. Frustrating that Terry died in prison and now all his murders are gone with him. I suspect there are more. How nonchalant that he just left the dead woman in the garage under all the kitty litter. Like, well, I'll get to moving that body out of here when I feel like it, maybe next week. Or not. Heck, he was never caught for the other murders, why would he be caught for that one?

The ending of this episode brought me to tears. I can't imagine what all of those people were going through, but I hope they can find some peace and closure.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wonder if the mother of Terry's daughter was the murdered woman in the barrel.

The DNA tests showed the woman in the barrel, Marylese, was the bio mom of the oldest and the youngest little girls.  The middle child was not genetically related to Marylese or her daughters.  Terry Rasmussen is not genetically tied to Marylese’s girls, but he is the bio dad of the middle child.  I don’t believe the genealogists have found the last victim’s relatives but they are working on it.

How did Lisa’s grandfather never look for his daughter after she left NH for parts unknown....and never think to call the authorities??  I am guessing he and his daughter did not have a great relationship?  I mean, she went missing in the 1980’s, not the 1880’s.  There were methods for looking for missing persons 30+ years ago!

I wonder where Denise’s 3 Rasmussen siblings were for this story?  I understand if they opted to remain off camera.  Rasmussen had 4 kids with Denise’s mom, but she only mentioned her brother a couple of times.

Whatever happened to poor Lisa?  Again, I completely get what she would choose not to be involved in this story.  I hope for all her trauma as a little girl that she found normalcy with adoptive or foster parents and made a successful life for herself.

• Love 3

2/27 case I had seen before but not as much footage of the interrogations and the trial. 

Not a huge fan of the "Donnie Brasco" guy who clearly loved being in the spotlight, but I guess good for him for coming forward.

Infuriated by the mom who can't see that her son is actually guilty.  Yeah, his best friend and roommate did the whole thing and is just trying to frame your son, and the Donnie Brasco guy is playing along with it for no reason, and the girl who was close with both of them is just hiding out in Canada (without her money) while her two friends are sent to prison. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

2/27 case I had seen before but not as much footage of the interrogations and the trial. 

Not a huge fan of the "Donnie Brasco" guy who clearly loved being in the spotlight, but I guess good for him for coming forward.

Infuriated by the mom who can't see that her son is actually guilty.  Yeah, his best friend and roommate did the whole thing and is just trying to frame your son, and the Donnie Brasco guy is playing along with it for no reason, and the girl who was close with both of them is just hiding out in Canada (without her money) while her two friends are sent to prison. 

I thought the mom was acting. She kept crying with no tears. She's delusional. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Court said:

I thought the mom was acting. She kept crying with no tears. She's delusional. 

Totally agree. I'm amazed at how often you see this no-tears "crying" on these true crime shows. I guess crying real tears on cue is a lot tougher than it looks. 

One thing that struck me with this case was how many of the main players had absolutely no affect, no emotion, even when talking about terrible things. If you watch the filmmaker really closely, he has tiny microexpressions that give away his nervousness and tension, but the other two are like stone walls. It's like they've grown up emulating emotionless gangsters, and learned the lesson way too well. 

The only exception was Liam crying after his verdict was read. I disagree with the prosecuter who said those tears were fake. With people like Liam, it seems like they can only feel pain and cry real tears when they're the ones being hurt. Then they feel like they're the victims. Obviously, Liam's mother is totally in agreement with this, that he's an innocent victim. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 5

The Kalamazoo Uber-driver-killer episode was interesting to me since I have good friends in that city and have been there many times, plus remember when it happened. There's not much to say about the episode since it wasn't a mystery about who was doing the shootings. The guy killed people because he wanted to and he could. Why does there always have to be a reason or mental illness. I can't blame the cops for not missing the guy in this case, since the killer switched things up mid rampage.

I did like the guards forcefully dragging him out of the courtroom though. Good on those guys. Some people don't deserve respect or courtesy. I'm glad his attempt at "being crazy" was a big fail.

• Love 3
(edited)

Marti Yang, some ‘mistakes’ you can’t take back.  I think you are where you need to be. 

I find it hard to believe that you are now in the midst of destroying your three children too. Make no mistake ... these kids’ lives were ripped apart with what you did and are now being ripped apart again with the mind control you’ve used on them to get yourself free.  

I also feel sorry for what Rhoni’s family will endure again.  I typically look up all parties involved after a show airs.  I couldn’t here.  I just couldn’t.

And while Shaun Gayles’ philandering ways set the wheels in motion I don’t believe he wanted all of this to happen.  He has to hurt to this day. 

Christi Paschen,  have you ever asked yourself why didn’t you call the police when Marni told you what she was going to do?  And why help her afterwards by getting rid of the evidence? 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 11

Jesus. How on Earth are people rallying behind this thing (Marni)? What a lying sack of crap. I feel for her kids having to get pulled back into this mess. She’s right where she belongs. She’s an utterly grotesque woman - both inside and out. Truly ugly. Poor Rhoni. Beautiful woman who paid the price for loving such a complete trash d**k.

• Love 9

While I have no issue believing police can be jerks and intimidate kids, I think Marni is guilty as hell. She deserves to rot in prison. I hope she stays there. 

Also, she's saying she believed her son killed Rhoni? 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Court said:

While I have no issue believing police can be jerks and intimidate kids, I think Marni is guilty as hell. She deserves to rot in prison. I hope she stays there. 

Also, she's saying she believed her son killed Rhoni? 

I think she just keeps throwing lies at the wall to see which one will stick.  

• Love 8
On 5/10/2020 at 5:07 AM, Koalagirl said:

I think she just keeps throwing lies at the wall to see which one will stick.  

She really was a piece of work. Right off the bat, her son says that Christi was a close friend of his mother's. Cut to Marni saying that Christi was just an acquaintance. I love how 20/20 from the start showed that Marni is a lying sack of shit. 

• Love 7

My apologies to those with speech issues, but Dahlia’s lisp was so pronounced (no pun intended) that I was completely preoccupied by it the entire episode. Also, stop saying she is so beautiful! I think all it takes to be called beautiful on these shows is to be young, thin and with long hair. 

• Love 22

Man... Dahlia must have spent all her time locked up at home coming up with the lies she was going to tell.  Must have repeated them to herself so many times she believed them herself. 

Just because ...I’m well ... me.... I wonder how she would do on a polygraph test.  I worked with a man that lied and twisted the truth so much I kind of believe he could pass one.  It takes a ‘Special’ kind of person to do that.  Ugh ... ‘Special’ indeed. 

• Love 5

Not sure why 20/20 thinks we needed 2 full hours dedicated to Daffy Duck and her murder for hire case. She’s right where she belongs. Frankly - this is as cut and dried solicitation case I’ve ever seen. She’s a pathological liar who seems to think she can lisp her way into men’s affections. Beautiful? Oh Lordy. In what universe?

• Love 11
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

Beautiful? Oh Lordy. In what universe?

I noticed at the beginning that someone, maybe the woman who interviewed her?, said "Some people said she was beautiful. Well, she was at least attractive". Words to that effect, indicating she recognized that Dahlia wasn't really beautiful. I sort of laughed at the interviewer's extremely skeptical and disdainful expression as Dahlia lied her way through the interview, and then her outright laugh when her latest lawyer pretended Dahlia wasn't sure if she'd go through with the contract. 

Am I the only one who gasps out loud and cringes whenever Nancy Grace appears? Honestly, last night she was giving Cruella de Ville a run for her money. Between her voice and her facial expressions, all she needs is a Dalmatian coat. 

Edited by Melina22
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8

Ugh!! That's all I have to say about Dalia, her lisp, and her lips.

Seriously shows, stop giving this psycho airtime.

However, I do always enjoy when Matt Murphy shows up. :-)

• Love 10
15 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

My apologies to those with speech issues, but Dahlia’s lisp was so pronounced (no pun intended) that I was completely preoccupied by it the entire episode. Also, stop saying she is so beautiful! I think all it takes to be called beautiful on these shows is to be young, thin and with long hair. 

Yeah, beautiful she is not. In any way at all. 

• Love 7