Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: EscApe from New York

I never thought I would say that but I really wonder if I will manage to get to the end of this show. I loved these characters (okay, some of them) and there are still some short moments of quality but the plot is beyond moronic and the characterisation changes to fit the needs of the stupid plots. I couldn't even enjoy the I Hate Ali club, despite hating her myself. All I could think of was "you all graduate in like a month, maybe you can survive her, no?" Plus why would Mona or Paige or Melissa need all those other "losers"? And why would the people bullied by one mean girl follow another (Mona) who was actually locked in a mental institution for going too far with her bullying not too long ago? You know who else called Lucas Hermie? That's right, Mona. None of this makes any sense.

The number of gratuitous murders is becoming ridiculous. Not that I don't want to get rid of Shana but by now the Liars' family staying in Rosewood and allowing them to go out at all is becoming about as believable as the ignorance of the people of Sunnydale, CA about the Hellmouth and at least Buffy was a fantasy show. And Shana, you were stupid to the very end. You only now realized how horrible Ali is? Are you blind, deaf and dumb?

• Love 1

Thank you for the answer to my question, I'd forgotten that we learned Mona helped Ali because Ali told us she did. And far can we trust Ali?  I'm curious to see where Ali will live when they return to Rosewood as her mom is now dead. Or at least we think she is. And what is it that Mr. Hastings doesn't want Melissa to tell Mrs. Hastings?

I think Lucas looks different because the actor has matured a bit rather than gotten a new haircut. He also looks taller.

I couldn't even enjoy the I Hate Ali club, despite hating her myself. All I could think of was "you all graduate in like a month, maybe you can survive her, no?"

I think they actually have several more months of school as last season moved at a snail’s pace and it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but regardless, you’re right. Mona is assuming that just because Ali is alive, which she’s known all along, that she will come back to town and school. Which should be a joke unto its self—the girls are seniors; Ali disappeared before her sophomore year??? So she has two years to make up! The I Hate Ali Club could be making fun of an 18 year old 10th grader. And why is Lucus worried? Didn’t he leave Rosewood High for homeschooling a few half seasons ago?

Meanwhile, no way is Shauna A.  But as others pointed out, if it gets rid of her character who always seemed peripheral to the whole plot, glad someone killed her and bonus points for it being Aria. About time the real A had something to blackmail her with aside from Ezra.

I like others don't understand that whole scene where Shana was forced out of town. No one knew she was after Ali, so either she made up the stuff about falling love with Jenna or someone on Ali's side did that to her. 

I really didn't like this reveal. I didn't realize she was around for so long...but she's just such an irrelevant character. Granted, she's obviously a minion. I'm still not sure if A acts alone and simply takes credit for all the people who torment the girls..or if it's a big conspiracy. 

Another thing is, I thought Jenna made it clear she didn't want the girls dead. She doesn't like them. But Jenna warned Emily to stay away from Cousin Nate. That's not something you do to someone you want dead. So where Jenna and Melissa fall in this whole mess is a whole other question. 

So..straightening this out..Mona is original A..and "big A" is a copy cat? With minions? I'm glad at least the Marlene has the ending planned. She just needs to stop teasing and answer some real questions..and to stop making things so messy. 

Also..I feel bad for Ian Harding. 

I never thought I would say that but I really wonder if I will manage to get to the end of this show. I loved these characters (okay, some of them) and there are still some short moments of quality but the plot is beyond moronic and the characterisation changes to fit the needs of the stupid plots. I couldn't even enjoy the I Hate Ali club, despite hating her myself. All I could think of was "you all graduate in like a month, maybe you can survive her, no?" Plus why would Mona or Paige or Melissa need all those other "losers"? And why would the people bullied by one mean girl follow another (Mona) who was actually locked in a mental institution for going too far with her bullying not too long ago? You know who else called Lucas Hermie? That's right, Mona. None of this makes any sense.

The number of gratuitous murders is becoming ridiculous. Not that I don't want to get rid of Shana but by now the Liars' family staying in Rosewood and allowing them to go out at all is becoming about as believable as the ignorance of the people of Sunnydale, CA about the Hellmouth and at least Buffy was a fantasy show. And Shana, you were stupid to the very end. You only now realized how horrible Ali is? Are you blind, deaf and dumb?

The only way I could buy the Lucas thing is if he were in on it with Mona the whole time running a long con and he knew Mona's meanness was an act. Even that's a stretch.

Ugh I love these characters and I hate when the writers make them do things that are stupid or make no sense.

Did anyone else think it was stupid for the liars to leave Shana there? It makes it so much more suspicious to runaway. They should just say there was an accident, say she is a deranged classmates and cite it as the reson why they were in NYC in the first place... I mean the girl did have a gun on her. And if they are not aware that it's now general knowledge that Ali is alive, then have her leave with one of them and have the others stay and give a statement. That was dumb.

Well, yeah, but I think a lot of what they do is stupid. 

I can see why they wouldn't trust the police at this point, even if it is the NYPD and not Rosewood cops.  But, their fingerprints are all over that theater, Aria was seen with Shawna at the hospital...it's going to come back to haunt them.

• Love 1

I am probably the only person to have this thought, but I am a little annoyed that they killed off Shana.  Don't get me wrong, they had no idea what to do with the character and the actress who played her couldn't act.  I just wish they had kept Shana around and made her a less clues version of the Liars.  Like have the Liars completely screwed themselves over and have Shana come in at the last second and save them because the plot doesn't require her to periodically lose common sense.  Or they could have had Shana talk about her friendship with Alison and have the Liars be like what the hell why is Alison actually supportive to her.  It would have at least justified the characters existence on the show.

Also Sasha's doing a good job, but I really don't like how they are writing Alison.   How does someone go from a borderline sociopath to spending all her time saying she is sorry and running away.  Maybe we are going to see more of the old Alison as the season goes on, but so far it looks like they are going to have the character do a complete one eighty.  Not that I loved the old Alison but I can't believe that the new Alison is a perfectly nice person who just wants to make up for everything she did wrong.  Hopefully Alison doesn't take Mona's Army lying down and instead actually fights back, because if you spent two or three years of your life hiding from a psychotic stalker, I think you would be emotional tough enough to fight back against some vindictive nerds.

(edited)

Well, yeah, but I think a lot of what they do is stupid.

I get that they would do something like that circa Season 1 & 2 but it feels worse now.

Edited by fantique
(edited)

Eh! I still want Ezra to be 'A'  I don't like how they're trying to redeem him already and have Aria soften towards him.

Yes, the episode was a train wreck, but I sat back and watched it anyway. The fashions were funny. Hannah/Ashley's comic timing was funny. Their stupid decisions were funny. All the Hastings were present, but they still didn't tell us shit.  I was waiting for Ali to show her true colours (didn't happen). I gasped once. I kept wondering where the frizzy haired female detective went and why Aria left her jacket on the chair. The girls were all extra pretty, and it amused me that no one asked Emily what she'd do and what her plans were if the stalking stopped. I guess no one cares.

I must have really low standards in the off-season.

Oh, and I fervently hoped that enough blood was seeping from Shana's head to kill her. Her acting and body language failed to convince me on any level. The actress should look into a behind-the-scenes job now. I assume there's a vacancy for a continuity person.

Edited by insubordination
  • Love 2

I was pretty ambivalent about hearing the show had been picked up for a 6th and 7th season but after this premiere my faith has been renewed! I say, bring it!

I was one of those most against Ali being brought back but it might just have been the best thing that could happen to PLL. It really breathed new life in the show, imo.

My favorite thing about this episode was the callbacks to the sleepover and the theater settling was all kinds of gorgeous. Seeing the girls there made me think of them as dolls in a dollhouse. Mona would have appreciated too, I'm sure!

I really did not see coming one of them actually going as far as killing anyone ever again, but I'm glad it was Shana who bit it. I appreciated her explanation about why she turned on Ali after hearing the stories of the people she has hurt and falling in love with Jenna. Shauna has always been one of the weaker characters and her supposed friendship with Ali never felt quite right so i'm glad they made sense of her character before killing her off.

(It also makes tons of sense because I've always had the impression Shauna was written to fill the role Jenna left after the actress who plays her got pregnant. And now that she's fit to come back, Shauna has to go. In retrospect, it served to keep Jenna as this mysterious figure even after all these seasons so I think it worked out for the best, but I'm so glad Shauna is gone and there's no time best for jenna to return than now that Ali is back too.)

The scene where the girls are eating snacks and talking about a tv show while Ali awkwardly and sadly looks hit me so hard that I had to pause the episode for a minute. I can't help but feel badly for Ali and what she's been though but I know I wouldn't be able to feel so sympathetic towards her if the show didn't consistenly bring up the bad things she did and called her out on them. I really love how they're going about bringing her back to the show since last season and I can't wait to see more of where they're taking her. 

On a superficial note, Hanna looked better than she has looked in years. Just absolutely gorgeous! I'm glad PLL's beauty department

stopped hating on AB. Aria on the other hand wore one of her most hideous outfits to date. She really looked like a hanger with those scarfs and that weird rope thing around her neck. As a tiny person myself, the proportions of that outfit were completely off for her body type. 

The scenes with Ali, Cece and Noel Khan made my life. I cannot express how much I love to see Ali's life through Ali's pov. It was one of the scenes that really sold me on the potential for the show to go as long and the writers plan for it to go.  The reason Ali had for keeping that stuff a secret from the girls (protecting Cece AND protecting them) was unexpectedly heartwarming but I completely get Spencer and Hanna's frustration with her.

I feel Shana's betrayal and death will make Ali wanting to trust the girls both easier and harder because she could use all the allies she can't get but girl is entitled to all the trust issues in the world at this point.

At last, I can't not mention Mona's little gathering. It's like every conversation I've ever had on Twop coming to life. Finally, FINALLY, we get an A-team! I can't remember the last time I liked Paige this much. She brought an important pov to that little gathering, of someone who's been bullied but would rather move on than take revenge (the fact that she has been arguably a bully in her own right might have factored in that). But also, her staying the moment Melissa walked in was just absolutely glorious. 

Paige has been in an uncertain place with the liars after that note she left on holbrook's (sp?) car, bu It really speaks of the writting of this show they've managed to convey Paige's loyalty to them in such a subtle way. I can't wait for her to tell them all about what she learns.

I'd like to take special note of the little moments like Spencer being too hungry too think (that would absolutely be me in that situation) and the girls talking about what life without A would be like. Gorgeous, gorgeous little moments that make the show what it is for me.

And also everything Melissa! I can't believe they're finally adressing her role in this A mess and it seems she's as deep in it as we've all suspected. At this point it looks like she's the Hasting who tried to kill Ali but that last scene with her father is starting to make me wonder if it isn't something else.

• Love 1

At this point only Jason or maybe the Courtney theory (which I would hate btw) makes sense to me for the person who hit Ali. It had to be someone Ali's mother would have wanted to protect by burying her own daughter instead of going to the police. Why would she do that for Melissa, or Jenna? Maybe Melissa, if her dad had pleaded with her, but since he thought it might have been Spencer that can't be it either.

That's something I really want them to reveal soon. There's plenty of other mysteries still unsolved, but I want some answers on something. And not crappy ones like the Shauna and Cece fake-out.

Did Toby's mom die before or after Ali got buried? 

I think it would be interesting to make her Ali's mom's sister and have it be a sister she's protecting rather than a child. 

(edited)

And also everything Melissa! I can't believe they're finally adressing her role in this A mess and it seems she's as deep in it as we've all suspected. At this point it looks like she's the Hasting who tried to kill Ali but that last scene with her father is starting to make me wonder if it isn't something else.

This is the part of the episode that I found most intriguing. The scenes in New York were laughably un-scary for all the grit and gloom that they were going for in the staging. But the tension between Melissa and her father--I half expected Mrs. Hastings to pop out from behind a wall during that final, menacing conversation between the two since it was so clear that something unspoken lies between them in the scene where the cops show up to report that oops, they lost CeCe and Spencer is in even more danger (this took away something from the moment, the cop seeming not at all contrite as if it were a snafu and no one's fault except for maybe Spencer's). Obvious, maybe, but still well played.

I still want to know what exactly happened the night Ali disappeared, and I think that's at least one impressive achievement on the show's part despite all of the ridiculous subplots and misdirection that have sprung up in the intervening seasons. Though I understand that not everyone is as easily drawn in as I may be!

Edited by BrainCellSup

I like that Holbrook's search on Fitz brought up fingerprints.  What crime did Ezra get printed for?  We all know he's not a registered sex offender.  Or maybe they just burn those lists in Rosewood.

This is the only thing that made sense to me. Ezra's a teacher, and (where I live, anyway) teachers are fingerprinted because they work with children. It makes sense that he would be in the system. I'm sure they just assume the sex offender part in Rosewood.

I am so fascinated with Melissa's storyline! It seems like she's sitting on something big, something her father either didn't know or thought no one would find out, something that's eating her up (she obviously wants to tell someone), and something that is driving her to help Mona.

• Love 1

My guess is that they're going the way of the books and Melissa knows that secret and she knows that 

the person the girls think is "their Ali" is the twin.

I can't imagine what else Melissa would know that would impact Mr. Hastings in that way.

I know the book twist is a bit unpopular, but I actually liked it. 

(edited)

What I got from this episode is Jenna must be amazing in bed, everyone she's with becomes obsessed with her. Garrett, Shana, Noel while he is helping Ali now was pretty much Jenna's shadow when they were dating, even Toby constantly talked about Jenna while he was with Spencer. 

Edited by Sakura12

I think she's still a sociopath. More so, as I think she is easing her way back in to her old life. I mean someone did try to kill her, so she is obviously a little uneasy and she has to know that the other four girls aren't going to be so trusting to her now. Plus, she now sees how close they have gotten without her. I think as the season goes on, we will see her return to her old footing. The way she pulled the liars before was how she had secrets with each and every one. It brings me to the pilot where she was like, "secrets keep us close". For Ali and the girls, the secrets did keep them close to her. I honestly don't think Ali is going to be a fan of the bond the other four girls share. I expect a lot of the Alison from "the very first secret" episode to come out again.

You're probably right.  I just get nervous with this show because the writers tend to wrap up storylines in really unsatisfactory ways when they want to move onto something new and I am just nervous whatever story they want to tell requires us to sympathize with Alison, so the writers will suddenly turn her into a scared little girl.  After the EzrA storyline, TobAy storyline, ShanA's reveal, and pretty much everything involving Ravenswood, I am starting to lose faith in the writers.  That being said, the writers have consistently made the relationship between the Lairs one of best, if not the best, parts of this show, so, fingers crossed, this season should be worth watching.

(edited)

I find it peculiar that A can skulk around an NYC hospital wearing a mask and no bystander finds it worthy of attention. See something say something, people!

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I find it peculiar that A can skulk around an NYC hospital wearing a mask and no bystander finds it worthy of attention.

Actually, I think that seems perfectly reasonable for NY.

• Love 1

You're probably right.  I just get nervous with this show because the writers tend to wrap up storylines in really unsatisfactory ways when they want to move onto something new and I am just nervous whatever story they want to tell requires us to sympathize with Alison, so the writers will suddenly turn her into a scared little girl.  After the EzrA storyline, TobAy storyline, ShanA's reveal, and pretty much everything involving Ravenswood, I am starting to lose faith in the writers.  That being said, the writers have consistently made the relationship between the Lairs one of best, if not the best, parts of this show, so, fingers crossed, this season should be worth watching.

All of those are pretty much pointless cop outs, Ravenswood was just awkward.

Honestly, I never saw Ali as a sociopath. 

She liked to keep her status on top. She was a bully. But I think her more "evil" doings were all powerplays. Because she was a little girl who got too deep into something and was trying to protect herself using blackmail. 

She's a flawed person and character..but there was always room for growth (assuming she hadn't died.) 

I don't know. Some of Alison's stuff could be waved away as bullying, but there was some strong enjoyment she got from cruelties she spread around. And her cruelty went beyond mere powerplay in some cases. Jenna herself is anything but a saint, but Alison blinded her and was only concerned about getting away with it. The fact that Toby went on to be grateful for freeing him, doesn't mean blaming it on him isn't abominable anyways, especially since she certainly didn't do it with the intention of helping him. And we don't know yet what happened with the girl who went down the stairs, for which Cece got expelled. 

Then there's the scene where she holds her breath until her mother gives in, which in itself would be scary, but especially seeing how cold and calculated Alison remains during that entire scene.

I also wonder who killed that girl who just so happened to look like Alison and buried her where Ali was meant to be. That's just very convenient for Alison, to be able to show a body to ensure people thought she really was dead. Despite the fact that apparently she had a small armada of people helping her who all knew she was alive and well and who all displayed MI6 levels of secret keeping skills and evading notice.

• Love 1

Calling Alison a sociopath may be an oversimplification of the character.  I completely agree that from what we have seen of Alison, she is terrible person, but the writers (hopefully) have something planned to make her a more sympathetic character.  For example, the one thing that we have been consistently told about Alison is that she lied, so I always considered it possible that she did feel remorse for the things that she did or that she at least had the capacity to feel remorse, but she was so focused on being in control that she never expressed those feelings to anyone and possibly never allowed herself to process feelings of remorse.  Whatever they end up doing, if the writers depicted her character as deeply damaged and as looking to make amends for the people that she hurt, then I could see her redemption as believable.  I just don't want the writers to expect us to see Alison as a completely changed character because she almost died.

• Love 1

Everyone in Rosewood almost dies every day I don't see how Alison's situation is different. 

If they aren't making Ali a sociopath then they better say she has some kind of mental issues like Mona, that is the only way I'll ever buy her redemption. That girl was a terror to everyone around her including her family and friends. Any remorse she had was short lived, she went right back to terrorizing Jenna after she threw a firecracker at her head. I know Jenna's not the greatest person either, but that showed me Alison felt no guilt over what she did to her. Normal people would feel something after maiming someone even if they didn't like that person. 

I'm beginning to really believe my theory that Rosewood is really a mental institution and everyone in it is a patient. 

• Love 2

I'm beginning to really believe my theory that Rosewood is really a mental institution and everyone in it is a patient.

LOL, maybe it's like this Dutch village for Alzheimers patients

Hogewey

Yes, sometimes I think it must be the answer. Rosewood is Shutter Island.

• Love 1
(edited)

Haha, yes, I can see it now.  The show will end with Alison being locked up in Radley and then it cuts to her talking with Dr. Sullivan and Alison says "...and that's why I am locked up in Radley".  Dr. Sullivan says something about how Alison is having a hard time letting go of her delusions.  Then a nurse walks her back to the common area and she walks by all the characters from the show including some of the people who have been killed off.  Finally Alison sits down at a table with a game of cards going on and the other patients playing the game are the Liars.  Alison asks what game they are playing.  Spencer replies they are playing BS (or some other game having to do with lying).  Alison smiles and says she that's her favorite game, and then the show ends.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 2

Haha, yes, I can see it now.  The show will end with Alison being locked up in Radley and then it cuts to her talking with Dr. Sullivan and Alison says "...and that's why I am locked up in Radley".  Dr. Sullivan says something about how Alison is having a hard time letting go of her delusions.  Then a nurse walks her back to the common area and she walks by all the characters from the show including some of the people who have been killed off.  Finally Alison sits down at a table with a game of cards going on and the other patients playing the game are the Liars.  Alison asks what game they are playing.  Spencer replies they are playing BS (or some other game having to do with lying).  Alison smiles and says she that's her favorite game, and then the show ends.

Oh, I hope not, they pretty much already did this on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Normal Again episode.

What I got from this episode is Jenna must be amazing in bed, everyone she's with becomes obsessed with her. Garrett, Shana, Noel while he is helping Ali now was pretty much Jenna's shadow when they were dating, even Toby constantly talked about Jenna while he was with Spencer.

I hope we get Noel as a bigger character role this season. I'd like to know if he only dated Jenna to keep an eye on her for Allie. Has he been on Allie's "payroll" all along--first dating Mona for intel, then Jenna, then some other job for Allie that she had to bring Shauna to town to take over dating Jenna??? 

• Love 1

I hope we get Noel as a bigger character role this season. I'd like to know if he only dated Jenna to keep an eye on her for Allie. Has he been on Allie's "payroll" all along--first dating Mona for intel, then Jenna, then some other job for Allie that she had to bring Shauna to town to take over dating Jenna??? 

Not to mention Noel was the first one to be suspicious of Ezra. Maybe he already knew about Ezra's connection to Ali?

Melissa running in at the end, and what did she say?  We don't have much time?  It made me think that perhaps she was the leader of the group and Mona was her second in command or some such thing. 

(edited)

It would be cool if we found out Alison has been running an anti-A team the whole time.  She could have been paying/blackmailing Noel, using her friendship with Cece and Shana to get their help, and maybe even using the liars to distract A from what she was doing.  If nothing else it would be kinda nice to find out that everyone wasn't helpless against A.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can see why they wouldn't trust the police at this point, even if it is the NYPD and not Rosewood cops.  But, their fingerprints are all over that theater, Aria was seen with Shawna at the hospital...it's going to come back to haunt them.

Shana was theoretically their friend, or at least not someone outright murderous, so I wondered why they didn't try to spin it: say that Shana and Aria were at the hospital, then they were all together in the theater, and they were attacked by someone in a hoodie and Shana was killed. They even have Ali's kidnapper now. Since it all happened in the Fitzgerald theater, with Ezra shot in the same city that very day although none of them lived there, it's obvious some serious shenanigans took place.

Speaking of Shana, I think the inconsistencies with her being run out of Rosewood and being willing to kill Ali (and the Liars at the lodge), it might be that she was a lovesick idiot acting as a free agent. After all, getting justice for Jenna is not A's motivation. We only have Ezra's hospital bed dramatic whispers that Shana is A.

Edited by Crim

After all, getting justice for Jenna is not A's motivation. We only have Ezra's hospital bed dramatic whispers that Shana is A.

And Ezra didn't even say that Shana was the only and uber A. He basically just said she's the one who shot him right? 

Well, he busted on the roof saying "I know who you are", so presumably she is the highest level A he got to. Useless, as usual.

Yeah, but that's what I mean - presumably he just followed her there right, hence why he knew who she was. She wasn't even on his radar before (he suspected Mrs. DiLaurentis which the liars know because he told them). So I'm really not getting where the girls jumped to the conclusion that Shana was A+ and the only threat to them. It makes no sense to me.