Type keyword(s) to search

Carole Radziwill: She's a Real Princess!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Except it’s entiely possible this was done in person. I have never considered the will the place to tell someone you loved them.

If there was an item that meant a lot to Carol, hopefully Lee either gave it to her or left instructions for her to have it.  Sometimes the surviving relatives don't always follow through on a deceased person's wishes though.   Or they just swoop in and start taking things.  Been there, seen that.   😞   Anyway, hopefully Carol and Lee were on good terms before she passed.  That's the most important thing. 

• Love 7

Did Carole still see Lee socially? Like, not to be blunt, but Anthony died almost 20 years ago. Carole and Anthony didn't have children. I would assume fond mementos would have already been given or dealt with and  as for money, maybe I am just cold but was there a relationship between these two any more?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Did Carole still see Lee socially? Like, not to be blunt, but Anthony died almost 20 years ago. Carole and Anthony didn't have children. I would assume fond mementos would have already been given or dealt with and  as for money, maybe I am just cold but was there a relationship between these two any more?

Even if there was, she is not a natural beneficiary imo.  Until we see Carole griping about a lack of inheritance, it's sort of a non issue to me.

• Love 11

I'm surprised to read that Lee had $50M. I had always thought she was somewhat "broke." 

also that article is weird. Caroline Kennedy never changed her name after marrying. When she was appointed ambassador to Japan (?) her title was all over the news as Ambassador Kennedy, not Schlossberg (sp). Come on, Daily Mail, get *something* right. Lol

• Love 6

I don't believe half the crap I read so it's likely Lee wasn't worth $50 million.   I'm not surprised that she didn't leave anything for Carole because I don't think she (a) had much to leave and (b) liked Carole.

I don't know whether or not Caroline legally changed her name or not but I have often seen it hyphenated, I.e., Caroline Kennedy-Schlossberg (sp).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

don't know whether or not Caroline legally changed her name or not but I have often seen it hyphenated, I.e., Caroline Kennedy-Schlossberg (sp).

She didn’t change her name and goes by Kennedy so the hyphen version is incorrect. 

• Love 3

I’m officially all in on RHNY. Best RH iteration ever. Thanks Previously TV friends for the recommendation! IMO - these self-admittedly drunken, 50-something year old, wealthy floozies are hysterical.

I just started Season 8 (I’ve been moving quick - Mr. DC is fatigued watching it), so still have catching up to do and can’t post on recent episodes yet. Can’t wait to see Ramona and Sonja stuffing lobsters into their purse.

On topic - I find it hard to believe Lee Radziwill had a $50M estate. I was under the impression that Jackie Kennedy gave her quite a bit of money to support her lifestyle over the years (guilt after “stealing” Aristotle Onassis from her?).

My knowledge purely comes from my love of Truman Capote though. I didn’t even know she remarried. 

So far I’ve enjoyed Carole. Definitely wasn’t what I expected. Especially, unlike Luann, she’s never once referred to herself as a Princess. One - it’s a bullshit courtesy title, and two they’re both naturally born Americans and still live in the United States.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, AnnA said:

I don't believe half the crap I read so it's likely Lee wasn't worth $50 million.   I'm not surprised that she didn't leave anything for Carole because I don't think she (a) had much to leave and (b) liked Carole.

I don't know whether or not Caroline legally changed her name or not but I have often seen it hyphenated, I.e., Caroline Kennedy-Schlossberg (sp).

Something strange here.  DM refers to the will & it apparently states the trust in Lee's name will go to her daughter ONLY.  It makes me wonder if there were some strict guidelines connected to this trust.  Lee did not live an extravagant life in older age, despite being healthy & active until fairly recently. 

Or maybe it's possible Lee changed her ways from being a ridiculous spender to being frugal.  It's possible.

I have no idea if Carole expected any dough from Lee.  Just saying that if she were my daughter-in-law, I think I'd make some arrangements to give her some amount.  I mean, shit, 50 mil is a fucking lot of money.  Does the daughter need all that dough?  And keep in mind the situation with Carole & her son.  Carole helped him enormously when he was dying & his death has clearly affected the rest of her life tremendously.  In addition, she seemed to be very respectful & kind to Lee.

When I first mentioned this, it was just to take an unkind jab at Carole.  I regret that.  No, Lee didn't "owe" Carole a thing.  But for someone who experienced such pain in helping her son, I think it was unkind, even cold & thoughtless, to not mention her at all in her will.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

I’m officially all in on RHNY. Best RH iteration ever. Thanks Previously TV friends for the recommendation! IMO - these self-admittedly drunken, 50-something year old, wealthy floozies are hysterical.

Welcome to the RNHY world!!  There's been a few duds on this show, but overall, it's still my favorite of al the RH franchises.  

So far I’ve enjoyed Carole. Definitely wasn’t what I expected.

I liked her when she first joined the show, then fast forward to 2016 and the election (which I'm not trying to rehash), and her haughty attitude towards those with opposing views was front and center.  Some of the ladies didn't want the political discussion, but at times she persisted.  In her own words, she was a journalist, so therefore she was more informed than anybody else on the planet! It was annoying.   Last season was painful with her and Bethenny fighting.  That was awkward.  I kind of warmed up to her again once she came down off of her political high horse.  Honestly, I really don't miss her on the show, but I wouldn't be opposed to an appearance or two by her.  I wonder if she and Bethenny ever made up.  

• Love 8

I just started Season 8 (I’ve been moving quick - Mr. DC is fatigued watching it), so still have catching up to do and can’t post on recent episodes yet. Can’t wait to see Ramona and Sonja stuffing lobsters into their purse.

On topic - I find it hard to believe Lee Radziwill had a $50M estate. I was under the impression that Jackie Kennedy gave her quite a bit of money to support her lifestyle over the years (guilt after “stealing” Aristotle Onassis from her?).

My knowledge purely comes from my love of Truman Capote though. I didn’t even know she remarried. 

So far I’ve enjoyed Carole. Definitely wasn’t what I expected. Especially, unlike Luann, she’s never once referred to herself as a Princess. One - it’s a bullshit courtesy title, and two they’re both naturally born Americans and still live in the United States.

Welcome!

44007377.png

• LOL 16
  • Love 4

Does the daughter need all that dough?  And keep in mind the situation with Carole & her son.  Carole helped him enormously when he was dying & his death has clearly affected the rest of her life tremendously.  In addition, she seemed to be very respectful & kind to Lee.

I would have never guessed that the woman at Lee's funeral was actually her daughter.  I wonder if she has some mental health issues. She really doesn't have a career as a producer--she only worked on her stepfather Herbert Ross's film.  

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I would have never guessed that the woman at Lee's funeral was actually her daughter.  I wonder if she has some mental health issues. She really doesn't have a career as a producer--she only worked on her stepfather Herbert Ross's film.  

You can definitely see the resemblance when she isn’t in morning. There are several pictures of them next to each other out at events together. 

On 3/30/2019 at 2:06 AM, Rap541 said:

Maybe this is a question, but everything I possess goes to my daughter when I die.  I wouldn't expect my brother to give money or items to my daughter upon his death.  So I don't see the big deal about not bequeathing family members that aren't your kids anything.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Maybe this is a question, but everything I possess goes to my daughter when I die.  I wouldn't expect my brother to give money or items to my daughter upon his death.  So I don't see the big deal about not bequeathing family members that aren't your kids anything.

It shouldn't be expected to me either.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Mrs peel said:

Caroline is worth a fortune, she doesn’t need anything from her aunt.  If she wants a momento, perhaps her cousin will give her one.  Not sure how I feel about Carole not being in the will.

It doesn't surprise me that Caroline didn't get money, but given that Lee may have had something that had a connection to Jackie or their mother, I could see her leaving her some sort of item.  Jewelry, a piece of furniture maybe.  Perhaps Lee had gotten some item from Jackie back in the day and it would be a sweet gesture to give it to Caroline, that sort of thing.

I could also see giving Carole something along the same lines.  There are plenty of things that would take away from her estate that could be meaningful to Carole.  A piece of jewelry, a decorative object, a book, something.  Anthony and Carole had one of JFK's rocking chairs, so having some sort of memento isn't out of the realm of the ordinary.  

On 3/30/2019 at 1:06 AM, Rap541 said:

An article I read said that they were in touch and had spoken within 2 weeks of her death.  They hadn't visited in person in a while, though.  

On 4/3/2019 at 1:52 PM, sasha206 said:

I think it depends on the family and also the amount of money you're talking about.  For the average family, I don't think it's as likely for people to pass stuff down to nieces or nephews unless they are super close (or perhaps godchildren), but when Jackie died, she was quite wealthy and her sister wasn't.  She had helped her sister with money throughout her life, and so it makes sense that she'd have also left something to her niece and nephew.  I'd expect Carole to leave money (depending on her estate, of course), to her nieces and nephews, given that she doesn't have a spouse or children.  

• Love 1

I agree with all of the above.

Also, the wills of people in the public eye are kind of different from those of us average folks.  No one's going to read my will after I die, although they could, since it's then public record.  But celebrities' wills are like their final word to the world about who they were and how they want to be remembered and to remember the important people in their lives.  So I think that bequests (or lack thereof) to family and friends and employees become part of a mini-autobiography that leaves a lasting fragrance.  Most people want a pleasant, generous scent to linger after themselves, but the ones who are determined to carry grudges beyond the grave can do that, too.  Not smart, but there you go.  How hard is it to at least mention someone's name, especially, in the case of Carole, who cared for your son through a protracted illness?  Makes it easy to believe that Lee wasn't the nicest person.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, sasha206 said:

I wouldn't expect my brother to give money or items to my daughter upon his death.  So I don't see the big deal about not bequeathing family members that aren't your kids anything.

But if your brother died before you, and in his will, he left half a million dollars to each of your kids (which is what Jackie did for Lee's children) would you still not leave anything -- not even a memento or a family treasure -- to his kids in return?

Edited by film noire
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, film noire said:

But if your brother died before you, and in his will, he left half a million dollars to each of your kids (which is what Jackie did for Lee's children) would you still not leave anything -- not even a memento or a family treasure -- to his kids in return?

Given she also made a bitchy swipe at Lee in making those bequeaths I don’t Caroline was waiting for Lee’s soliciter to call.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2019 at 9:28 AM, ChitChat said:

Welcome to the RNHY world!!  There's been a few duds on this show, but overall, it's still my favorite of al the RH franchises.  

I liked her when she first joined the show, then fast forward to 2016 and the election (which I'm not trying to rehash), and her haughty attitude towards those with opposing views was front and center.  Some of the ladies didn't want the political discussion, but at times she persisted.  In her own words, she was a journalist, so therefore she was more informed than anybody else on the planet! It was annoying.   Last season was painful with her and Bethenny fighting.  That was awkward.  I kind of warmed up to her again once she came down off of her political high horse.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up for me. 

• Love 3

I would read that book!

I was just listening to the Bitch Sesh podcast. It was mentioned that Carole didn't vote in the 2018 midterms. There is some app where you can look up this information apparently. Pretty interesting given her passion for the election....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, FeverDog said:

was mentioned that Carole didn't vote in the 2018 midterms. There is some app where you can look up this information apparently. Pretty interesting given her passion for the election....

What the person said was that she didn’t vote in the 2016 election.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

Carole jumped out of the way of this oncoming train wreck which is Bethenny Frankel just in the nick of time. She saw what was coming and saved herself. 

Paul should do the same.

Yup.  I feel sorry for anyone in Frankel’s orbit. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Midnight Cheese said:

Yes - I can’t quite believe she didn’t vote, didn’t Carole have an I Voted sticker on during the relevant 2016 election episode?

She did sport an I voted sticker. She also held an election night results party for the show. It's possible she voted absentee to canvas in Pennsylvania and plan for the party. It's also possible that the records are for shit. As someone who has been a government employee in the legislative and executive branches at the state and federal levels, our records were for shit in a number of areas.

• Love 8
On 3/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't see why Carole would be in the will.  🤷‍♀️

Other than bequeathing her a specific loved trinket or something, nope.

Well....Carole did get the couch!  😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 3/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, HunterHunted said:

I have a hard time believing the Daily Fail's assertion that Lee's estate is worth $50 million because of a long ago trust. Lee was a well known spendthrift. 

Vanity Fair used to write about Lee ALL THE TIME.  Seriously, it was one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription.  They'd write a lot about her being "broke", but then they'd detail the Warhol's and Caulder's she had in her apartment in Paris.  I don't think she was worth $50MM, but I think she could have been worth $10MM just in art and the value of her apartment, so she may not have had cash to give.

Also, Lee was fucking awful her entire adult life-jealous, petty, greedy, vain, covetous, entitled, etc.  I doubt Caroline had much to do with her.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ninjago said:

Vanity Fair used to write about Lee ALL THE TIME.  Seriously, it was one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription.  They'd write a lot about her being "broke", but then they'd detail the Warhol's and Caulder's she had in her apartment in Paris.  I don't think she was worth $50MM, but I think she could have been worth $10MM just in art and the value of her apartment, so she may not have had cash to give.

Also, Lee was fucking awful her entire adult life-jealous, petty, greedy, vain, covetous, entitled, etc.  I doubt Caroline had much to do with her.

You can't treat literary luminaries like Gore Vidal and Truman Capote like she did and think you haven't earned the eternal enmity of publications like Vanity Fair. You are probably right about Lee having a bunch of artwork worth millions upon millions. But I think the fact that Lee was busy trying to sell her Paris apartment in the year before her death, confirms that Lee was once again spending like she was actually the princess of a country that paid for her living expenses. 

I believe Carole and Lee saw each other once or twice a year. And it's pretty clear that Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg had nothing to do with Lee because Lee wasn't really present in their lives except when she needed something from Jackie and the Kennedy family tore themselves in two when JFK Jr died. Caroline's husband allegedly ran roughshod over the other Kennedy family members and alienated a lot of people.

• Useful 5

There’s an old saying about inherited goods, “Better from a warm hand than a cold one.” Possibly private, heartfelt gifts were given well before Lee cast off this mortal coil, without getting the DM informed nor involved. 

I got so disenchanted with CR between reading her memoirs and the time she came into her mean-spirited own on RHONY.  I’d borrow the second memoirs from the public library but sure wouldn’t buy it.   

• Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, sasha206 said:

Me too.  I don't expect my bro to leave her anything.  And I'm not leaving his kids anything.

• Love 3

I watched a show last night about JFK Jr's last days before the terrible plane crash. Carole was interviewed. She said Carolyn Bessette called her just before leaving on the plane and said, "I love you". Carole's response--I know you do. I thought that was so odd! Wouldn't a normal person say "I love you too"??

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I watched a show last night about JFK Jr's last days before the terrible plane crash. Carole was interviewed. She said Carolyn Bessette called her just before leaving on the plane and said, "I love you". Carole's response--I know you do. I thought that was so odd! Wouldn't a normal person say "I love you too"??

Most people would say, “I love you, too.” I do think that there are some truly kind-hearted people who would say, “I know you do,” and what they mean is, “I always feel loved by you. You make me feel valued and cherished every day, and it means so much to me.” I’m not saying Carole is one of those people, but it is one interpretation. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
On 2/17/2019 at 11:48 PM, film noire said:

What an ugly and vindictive piece of writing from Robert McFadden

"In 1961, he was hired by The New York Times, where he remained for the next five decades as a reporter and rewrite man. His writing has covered a wide range of topics including plane crashes, hurricanes, strikes, blackouts, government affairs, health, crime, transportation, politics, education, the environment, and mass media."

If he's so accomplished, wonder why he's writing nasty obits?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
23 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

If he's so accomplished, wonder why he's writing nasty obits?

I once saw that Truman Capote and Gore Vidal lawsuit called as big a literary scandal as Watergate was to politics and Lee was at the center of this one. She abandoned her good friend Truman Capote who had been supporting her emotionally and financially for some time. When Capote needed her in this mess she kind of caused, she told Capote to fuck off. I get the sense that a lot of writers  and creatives decided Lee was cancelled after that.

It's also possible McFadden had an occasion to meet Lee who was reportedly a massively pretentious See You Next Tuesday. McFadden could have been a little bit more diplomatic, but consider that the New York Times editors ran with this obit. I think that alone is probably a good indication that Lee was the fucking worst. She's like the ur Luann and also like the zenith of that kind of person. She was a selfish talentless drunk who abandoned her children to be raised by her sister; she spent lavishly and didn't seem to give a single fuck about the vast majority of people. So the fact that the Times ran with this obit means the editorial board and publishers could confirm that this is an accurate description of her. I'm also not one of those people who thinks you need to gloss over the bad shit in death. Lee wasn't a war criminal, but she was a shit person.

Perhaps it could have been kinder and a little bit more even-handed, but there were clearly those at the Times who felt that Lee earned every last bit of that obit. I think we have to consider that nothing at a newspaper has only one set of eyes looking at it. Multiple people looked at this and said, "Lee is that bitch."

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11

At the height of Liz Smith‘s column, it was syndicated in more than 75 newspapers worldwide, including the New York Post, which lured her away from arch-rival Daily News for more than $1 million a year. The Post let her go in ’09, but she’s still turning out her column from the same Murray Hill building she’s lived in since ’79. My old pal (and former editor of Radar) Maer Roshan interviewed the legendary gossip columnist and asked her about many things, including her aversion to Jackie O.’s sister, Princess Lee Radziwill:

“… she did something terrible. She was always a close friend of Truman Capote’s. But then Capote got embroiled in that ridiculous libel suit with Gore Vidal over his claim that Vidal had been drunkenly kicked out of the White House. Lee is the one who told Capote the story, but when it ended up in court, she threw him to the wolves. All she had to do was tell the truth. But she refused, and Truman lost the lawsuit, which devastated him. During the trial, as a last-ditch effort, he asked me to call her and beg her to testify. And you know, Truman had done everything for her. He even tried to help her start an acting career. But when I called her and said,

‘Lee, you really must testify for Truman.’

She said, ‘Oh, Liz, what do we care – they’re just a couple of f***! They’re disgusting.’

I was so stunned, I just hung up. I’ve never spoken to her since.”

https://worldofwonder.net/quoteunquote-gossip-columnist-liz-smith-on-why-she-hates-lee-radziwill/

In his autobiography, Keith Richards did not think much of "Princess" Lee". He said they called her Princess Radish behind her back.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ki-in said:

In his autobiography, Keith Richards did not think much of "Princess" Lee". He said they called her Princess Radish behind her back.

Good! I never understand the hype on that snooty shrew Lee Radziwell—-she was just another snobby old money skinny white lady who was only stylish and invited places because of her bank account/vanity/status. Nobody really liked her and she treated her family like shit half the time. She was mostly a horrible person and not nearly as beautiful or as fascinating as she considered herself.

• Love 10

Saying this as a person who only recently was blessed to have much-needed dental work done which improved my smile and self-confidence SO  much — I don’t understand why Carole doesn’t do the same. And immediately I answer my own question: because she’s perfectly fine with her teeth. To each, her own. *le shrug*

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sharonana said:

The past few weeks I've been rewatching seasons 7-9. I got to season 10 and had to skip it. This is an unpopular opinion, but I like Carole. I liked the friendship that Carole and Bethenny had. It's hard to watch each episode as the friendship slowly disintegrates. ☹️

Bethenny is a lot! Her word vomit rants are too much.

I like Carole, too.

• Love 18