Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Blood Donut

• Start Topic

This is the first inmate for which I really have very little sympathy.  The others we've seen so far, either followed the only life they knew, or didn't have a lot of choice in what happened to them.  But runner girl had a real choice, a real chance to better her life and she really just threw it away.

I liked the conversation Piper had with the female guard, both in treating each other life 'normal' people and the guard acknowledging that Piper wasn't really different, she was just unlucky.

Was a bit of a dick move Healy did, promising the track then taking it away.  I'm glad Piper didn't snitch, especially since she knew it was hard enough on the other woman. 

So I guess the point of the WAC is just to keep the inmates thinking changes were possible, but really not and the WAC members keep quiet for donuts.  But with getting the track, the other inmates will continue to think the WAC does do something good.

I agree with you about not empathizing with Janae. I haven't liked her from her introduction to Piper and Lorna. I totally understand being sullen when you're going to prison, so that wasn't my issue with her. I just felt she was one note. This backstory didn't help the character in my eyes. Even having her hang with my fav set--Taystee, Black Cindy, Poussey and Suzanne--didn't raise her in my eyes. I felt sorry for poor Yoga Jones each time she had to have a stilted conversation with Janae. I just don't feel she brings much to the show and the actor's line readings sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Having said all that, I think Vicky Jeudy is adorable. I think I'm hard on the actress because I usually can't take my eyes off her in scenes. She has strong presence, but I don't think she's much of an actor yet.

WAC was whack. I love that this show is such a wonderful mix of comedy and drama, but I kept expecting someone to try to slock Piper for taking that position. I love that girl but she gets away with a lot. In real prison one might get your ass beat for looking at another inmate the wrong way. Piper's obvious priviledge and her *winning* ways would make her a target for sure.