Type keyword(s) to search

Sonja Morgan: Don't Call her White Trash

• Start Topic

I need to give a big shout out to the posters who compared Sonja to "Grey Gardens." This was like a year+ ago on here or TWOP, but I always kept that in the back of my mind as a must-see documentary. TCM just played it, and OMG, this is without a doubt The Real Spinsters of East Hampton (40 years ago!) and Sonja could step in the role of the daughter Edie without skipping a beat! Not only with the ramshackle mansion crumbling around her, but the "costumes" (sweaters and the like pinned as dresses), and the performances (singing and marching routines), and the delusional ramblings of once was and what could have been (I should have married a Getty!...If only mother didn't have eye surgery, I could have gone off to the war and had a whole different life!...I could have been a stage performer in Paris! I [at 56] could still go!), and the young handyman kid who is their only friend (with talk of other friends in the past who were also lived there as employees, such as the composer). This woman is 100% Sonja Morgan.

I would agree with you, but the difference is the Beales were real society, Sonja is a nobody.     As nutty as the Beales were, I think they would refuse Sonja entrance to their home for cat food pate.    :)

That movie/documentary was good.

• Love 1

I think I figured out what Sonja's referring to when she says "my businesses." I followed Sonja on Facebook for a couple of seasons (not any more) and she was a very prolific poster, at least compared to the other HWs. (I'm sure her interns were posting on her behalf.) I didn't think much about it at the time, but Sonja would give a lot of product and business plugs, and I bet that she's getting a lot of freebies that way. I think her "business" is to continuously hustle restaurants, salons etc. in exchange for her promotion on social media and the show.

• Love 7

Maybe it is just me but was the jacket Sonja was wearing when she met with Ramona all stained and dirty on the back?

I noticed them as well. A couple of marks high up on the back on both sides near her shoulders - noticeable when Ramona was speaking and the camera was on Sonjas back. Like a few other people, I also think they were moth holes. It looked like a velvet jacket. She probably dug that number out for the shoot that day thinking it screams old money Waspy. Like the faux riding outfits.  

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 3

I remember when it was announced that Sonja would be joining the show and the promo photo of her was that formal shot of her in a ball gown maybe with her daughter.  And I thought - Oh a real bluebood.  She is going to be so proper!  Lol.  Was I wrong!

john-Morgan1.jpg

Edited by jinjer
  • Love 8

Has anybody else noticed this on camera habit of Sonja's? This first episode, last season, and the one before that.....

When she is seated at a table conversing with someone, Sonja constantly drinks water, then holds the glass up to her face. Now as I type that out, it sounds like pretty normal innocuous behavior. But actually it comes off as a narcissistic tic because she knows that camera is on her. (Actually I think she is one of the Housewives across all franchises that play for the camera most of their screen time, with the exception of Kenya Moore)......That said, it's a weird habit. Like she is trying hard to distract so we, the viewers,  don't notice that she "gish gallops" her words. (tries to fit as much pompous bullshittery as she can in her 10 sec when the camera is on her).

"...I have a marketing expert, I have a branding expert, I am ready to launch my lifestyle brand in Paris, London, my clothing line, my home decor line, people are calling me, I am so busy, and so important, sold my house in France, my team...."

That's the best explanation I can give it for now. If anybody else can analyze it better..... 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 3

Has anybody else noticed this on camera habit of Sonja's? This first episode, last season, and the one before that.....

When she is seated at a table conversing with someone, Sonja constantly drinks water, then holds the glass up to her face. Now as I type that out, it sounds like pretty normal innocuous behavior. But actually it comes off as a narcissistic tic because she knows that camera is on her. (Actually I think she is one of the Housewives across all franchises that play for the camera most of their screen time, with the exception of Kenya Moore)......That said, it's a weird habit. Like she is trying hard to distract so we, the viewers,  don't notice that she "gish gallops" her words. (tries to fit as much pompous bullshittery as she can in her 10 sec when the camera is on her).

"...I have a marketing expert, I have a branding expert, I am ready to launch my lifestyle brand in Paris, London, my clothing line, my home decor line, people are calling me, I am so busy, and so important, sold my house in France, my team...."

That's the best explanation I can give it for now. If anybody else can analyze it better.....

I have to watch for this. Usually I'm so distracted by Sonja's pouting, pursing, preening and posturing that I have trouble focusing on what she is saying.

• Love 1

I hadn't noticed that. Maybe she's holding the water glass so that we can see that it's in fact water and not something else? Although I guess it could be pure vodka :)

Speaking of Sonja's clothes, I'm so waiting for her to unwittingly wear something that's still got the price tags on it. 

• Love 4

I have to watch for this. Usually I'm so distracted by Sonja's pouting, pursing, preening and posturing that I have trouble focusing on what she is saying.

Wait! That's it !!

The water drinking is indeed a sort of preening distraction. It is a  "tell".

When she is bloviating about all her projects, she is lying. And we all know it, but she still thinks she can bullshit the viewers with her wanna be grandiosity.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 4

Maybe someone in Manhattan knows the answer to this...what's the deal with Sonja's townhouse? Is it on the market again? It seems to have been on, then off, the market here and there over the years. For all Sonja's talk of "I'm not selling the only home my daughter has known," I think it's more a case of her not getting any offers. I bet there's tons of deferred maintenance in there that Sonja's tried to fix herself. I thought last spring there were rumors that she had moved out and was renting it?

I would think Sonja either needs to fix up the place before selling it at a competitive price or she needs to sell at a reduced rate in consideration of its current state. I couldn't see Sonja agreeing to do the latter.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Sonja pulling the beer out of her purse reminded me of years ago my alcoholic uncle was visiting my parents with my cousin. My cousin lived about 40 minutes away. My uncle wouldn't leave my parents house until my cousin swore that they would stop and buy a 6 pack on the way home so my uncle would have something to drink during the 40 minute drive.

• Love 2

Well I don't know if it is really going to exist or not, but I think Sonja's clothing line is pretty.

It seems like she's chosen a lot of very simple looks that can be worn for a lot of different occasions.

When Andy tried to talk to her she got kind of shady about how it was going to launch...something about all being 'pre-ordered' and then the line would be manufactured....I'm not too sure how that's going to work.

http://www.sonjamorgannewyork.com/

Well I don't know if it is really going to exist or not, but I think Sonja's clothing line is pretty.

It seems like she's chosen a lot of very simple looks that can be worn for a lot of different occasions.

When Andy tried to talk to her she got kind of shady about how it was going to launch...something about all being 'pre-ordered' and then the line would be manufactured....I'm not too sure how that's going to work.

http://www.sonjamorgannewyork.com/

Sonja doesn't even have prices on anything! I am shocked that she's gotten far enough to actually get samples photographed and on a website, but she couldn't even get her shit together to take an order, let alone actually sell anything! What the fuck is wrong with her, she has a perfect opportunity to hawk the clothes during the season airing and she couldn't get it up and running. I believe this clothing line is going to end up like the toaster oven that never toasted.

• Love 4

Could Sonja be hoping to launch her line as an MLM -- where consultants host trunk shows ( of over-priced items) and then the orders are placed? I have no reason to think this other than a friend called me last year and told me she was thinking about becoming a consultant for this:

http://www.cabionline.com

I (very nicely) pointed out that $49 white tank tops could be found at TJ Maxx and Target for under $12 and she should think carefully before investing ( they have to purchase a demo wardrobe or something ). Happily, she saw the light.

• Love 2

Poor Sonja, there must be a successful business endeavor in her somewhere. She keeps hoping the money will just pour in for her Sonja's with the sexy J existence and being. Like we would all pay big bucks as long as her name is on it. I think she ought turn that decrepit townhouse into a brothel (more interns?) and become Madame Morgan. She could then start selling something she's actually known for.

• Love 9

Just rewatched the "Sonja giddily pretends to have a fashion line coming" preview and, for a lark, I googled the 2 people who get billing: I found nothing on the guy BJ Bindra. I did find the public LinkedIn profile for Laura Cantor (the one who asks Beth about her experience).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lauracantor

Then I checked out CBA Group -- a very bland site that says .... pretty much nothing. It's filled with all the popular buzz terminology, eg "maximize efficiency" and "seamless services integration" and so on but the few testimonials are vague, with attributions like, "owner, sportswear company" and no actual clients listed. Oh, and the blog appears to have been put up in January 2014--and never touched again.

http://www.cbagroupusa.com

• Love 1
When Andy tried to talk to her she got kind of shady about how it was going to launch

I think her nickname should be be "Sonja with a shady S."

That said, I do feel a bit badly for Sonja. I know it's her own doing, and she just won't listen to people who are in a position to give her solid advice. She just wants to listen to yes-people, and as long as she does that, it's a foregone conclusion that she'll fail. I still don't really understand the thing with the toaster oven. Everything was ready to go and then the investor pulled out? Who is investing in her clothing line? I just see this as another thing that will fail, and Sonja will have yet another vague excuse as for why - textile shortage in Asia.

• Love 5

That said, I do feel a bit badly for Sonja. I know it's her own doing, and she just won't listen to people who are in a position to give her solid advice. She just wants to listen to yes-people, and as long as she does that, it's a foregone conclusion that she'll fail. I still don't really understand the thing with the toaster oven. Everything was ready to go and then the investor pulled out? Who is investing in her clothing line? I just see this as another thing that will fail, and Sonja will have yet another vague excuse as for why - textile shortage in Asia.

Maybe the toaster oven investor pulled out after seeing Sonja ask her intern to help her with her tampon during the photo shoot.

• Love 2

One thing that does make sense is that if she sells the house everyone to whom she owes a dollar will come to collect. And something tells me that list is longer than we realize. I wouldn't be surprised if multiple friends and relatives had helped her out 'here and there' while she waited for various 'business or HW' checks to be sent. 

The thing that kills me is that she is obviously collecting major child support and makes something like $400k off RHONY. Who- short of a complete moron- cannot get their financial house in order on $500-$700k per year? Lu just pocketed as much from her downsize as Sonja owes to bankruptcy debtors. That is a pretty sharp contrast.

• Love 7

Just rewatched the "Sonja giddily pretends to have a fashion line coming" preview and, for a lark, I googled the 2 people who get billing: I found nothing on the guy BJ Bindra. I did find the public LinkedIn profile for Laura Cantor (the one who asks Beth about her experience).

Then I checked out CBA Group -- a very bland site that says .... pretty much nothing. It's filled with all the popular buzz terminology, eg "maximize efficiency" and "seamless services integration" and so on but the few testimonials are vague, with attributions like, "owner, sportswear company" and no actual clients listed. Oh, and the blog appears to have been put up in January 2014--and never touched again.

Sounds like Simon and Alex's luxury towel website.  Had all the right terminology but a whole lot of nothing.

Sonja's (un)affordable brand of clothing (still not) available now... 

http://www.sonjamorgannewyork.com/dresses/

The stuff is so overpriced... who is going to buy it?  Some of the jewelry still doesn't even have a price tag.  I feel like this is Sonja's latest, future lawsuit, to be filed by the people dumb enough to "preorder" the overpriced goods she's selling.  

• Love 2

I'm not a shrink and don't even play one on TV, but I would bet Sonja has a rip-roaring case of ADHD. She is all over the place, cannot stay on topic, was even told by Ramona of all people to "FOCUS!" She can't. Which is why nothing she undertakes goes anywhere. She's national! She's international! She's going to make seventy-eleven different products and lines! She's going to be in Barney's and Harrod's! Try Walmart. Even that won't happen because nothing is going anywhere. This "team" she assembled may think she is going to produce a so-called brand, but Bethenny was right: they have no clue how far in advance you have to have a product ready for a future season.  Poor Sonja. Promiscuous, pathetic and constantly spotting squirrels.

• Love 7
(edited)

Sonja wouldn't dream of Walmart, but Jessica Simpson didn't create a $1B clothing and accessory label by going after Barney's. She's done very well with the chain value stores, and Walmart also made Kathy Ireland a very well-off woman. Heck, even Isaac Mizrahi, Missoni, and now Lily Pulitzer weren't too proud to have Target sell their stuff.

I haven't seen any buzz about Sonja's Fashion Week collection at all.

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 6

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Sonja's "businesses" and all her real estate.  She's got nothing and is just embarrassing herself.  Once again in her blog she mentions how important the house is, how she needs to provide stability for Quincy.  Isn't her kid a teenager now? Doesn't she go to boarding school? I assume she's also spending time with Old Man Morgan, so how much time is she really at Sonja's home? The home filled with 20-something "interns" and 20-something German gigolo/models.   Does she really think Q will melt into a puddle of despair if she traded in Grey Gardens for an apartment on the UES? Please.

She was a hot drunken mess at Dorinda's cocktail party and it looks like next week is even worse. After the energy suck that was RHOBH, I'm not sure that I'm ready for Kim Richards 2.0. 

• Love 6

According to her most recent blog, this weeks blog, Sonja was talked out of doing a toaster oven, no mention of any investor that backed out. LOL In other words, there was never an investor, she just hoped one would materialize out of thin air because after all, she IS Sonja Morgan ! The Sonja Morgan who met her ex-husband while working as a hostess in a restaurant in NYC, even though she had been a top model in Europe, owned RE and was financially well to do/independent! LOL

The Sonja Morgan who met her ex-husband while working as a hostess in a restaurant in NYC, even though she had been a top model in Europe, owned RE and was financially well to do/independent! LOL

The hostessing gig was really just a cover for when she was working with the CIA.

The shady financial dealings of the Wall Street crowd that she was able to uncover were what finally put Ivan Boesky behind bars. It's what inspired the movie Wall Street. This is why Hollywood welcomed Sonja with such open arms.

• Love 6

Was Sonja ever really a model? She claims to have been living as one in Paris and Milan but it's hard to believe. For starters she doesn't seem very tall. She also seems like someone who became more attractive as she aged.

• Love 1

I am hoping Sonja will wise up and just say, "when I have too much too drink I just make stuff up." So ask me anything and no telling what I will say. Then she will need to work an excuse for her sober behavior.

I think Sonja having a line of paper doll clothes is pretty much what she has now. Even the models are cut out to make people believe the walked during Fashion Week. In viewing her collection I think she decided that is what she wants people to think what affordable luxury is. She might want to try and take a look at Kathy Hilton's line.

Here are the other 2 players in the meeting:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/aj-bindra/2b/826/9b6?trk=pub-pbmap

https://in.linkedin.com/in/sumeetkharbanda

• Love 1

I'm thinking ADHD, too. There is a lot of speculation that some of these women use Adderall recreationally, but if Sonja has legit ADHD then Adderall wouldn't affect her in the same way it would as a bouncy college kid.

The biggest tell for me was when she was walked back to her hotel and she still had moments of hyperactive mania and wanted to keep drinking -- and had nary of a hint of a hangover the next morning.

Her blog this week claims that unless she has wine or spritzers, she is gone after three drinks and prefers to abstain. Maybe she meant multiples of three.

• Love 3

There were rumors during her first season on the show that she abused prescriptions and even pushed the LPs to score her some.  She definitely gives off the multi-substance vibe.

• Love 4

E gads!! Through the LinkedIn connections I apparently know people (and unlike so many LinkedIn connections I really DO know these people) who know people connected to the first 2 people (laura and AJ). I am a bit disgusted with my friends

Ha!  If it makes you feel better, I've got a few Housewives as second connections with quite a few connections to Jo Delarosa from OC.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ha! If it makes you feel better, I've got a few Housewives as second connections with quite a few connections to Jo Delarosa from OC.

Jo? That does make me feel better Lola16, thanks for taking one for the team. Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 2

I've really been thinking about Sonja and all of her dumb businesses. I really think she should get into romance novels. If she got a ghostwriter and did a couple of Jackie Collins/Gloria Vanderbilt type of romance novels with a little bit more sex, I think she could tap into that same 50 Shades momporn market. And it's on brand with Sonja. She's known for being attractive, able to pick up men of all ages, and a floozy. I don't think she'd do it because she wants to be perceived as classier than she actually is.

• Love 8

She's known for being attractive, able to pick up men of all ages, and a floozy.

Speaking of picking up men, US Magazine has a story that she went home with Dr. Paul Nassif, Adrienne Maloof's ex.  Multiple sources confirm it. LOL. That would be a hilarious pairing. I hope it sticks.

• Love 4

Speaking of picking up men, US Magazine has a story that she went home with Dr. Paul Nassif, Adrienne Maloof's ex.  Multiple sources confirm it. LOL. That would be a hilarious pairing. I hope it sticks.

Hmmm I was just thinking Sonja needs a beak trim.  if she sticks with Paul Dr. Terry could straighten out her wonky boobs.

Hmmm, Sonja's blog was more rewriting of the facts/history! LOL

"Confident women support other women. If you ask me, Heather is upset with herself and is taking it out on me. Otherwise, why would she be so unfeeling and unsupportive? She would roll her sleeves up and spend the time with me. She doesn't. She washed her hands of me over the photoshoot I organized with her photographer. We never did the brand identification. We never changed the logo to match my brand ID. We had a difference of opinion over what my brand was. I certainly didn't think it was a shirtless man on my box, but she was so overbearing I just said yes to printing both pictures (one without the guy and one with the guy) and put the guy on the box. And when I got to the department stores, they said the toaster would sell based on its features and the fact that I endorsed it as a lifestyle expert, dressed head to toe in fashion and bling! They said look at your image on the box. You are an international fashion lifestyle brand, and therefore you are making a mistake to sequence your brand with toaster ovens first."

I bolded her rewrite in just 1 paragraph. LOL Sonja really believes we either forgot what we saw/heard or that we will just go along with whatever she says. LOL

• Love 7
(edited)

Oh my gawd. What delusional horseshit.

Good comment from LaurieAG, over at New York Mag - Vulture on this week's episode:

"Re Sonja's clothing line- she bought a full page ad. That's why they gave her the cover and an editorial- correct? Plus Sonja's team managed to find an unknown magazine that desperately needs to sell ad space. that's how it works. I work in the fashion (garment) industry. Anyone can make samples. Anyone can do a photo shoot. Anyone can throw a party. No one has placed orders, sounds like they haven't even shown the line properly yet. Its a vanity project- not that hard to gather a team and a few quasi investors. Sonja does have a name based on this show, so she probably could move some product, but not an "international luxury line"- its all sort of Fake Business BS 101."

Sonja's make believe international luxury affordable lifestyle product line is making She By Sheree look like a successful and legitimate business.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 9

If Sonja really wanted to get some business going, she could.  Hell, even Lynne Curtain and Alexis Bellino, arguably the 2 biggest airheads ever to come out of the West Coast editions, if not all editions, got product to market.  I wonder if there's some "business loss" tax write off that is going on with all these failed ventures.  Not that I think Sonja is that smart, but she might have a CPA that is.

But if her fashion is truly real, I don't get why she's aiming for big high end department stores when there are many high end boutiques.  She's got to have a couple of favorites on the UES that she has a "connection" with. 

• Love 3

If you're interested in Sonja's Latino Show article, it's here.

My favorite quote: "My brand is virgin and untainted, limitless and international."

Ha! Sonja doesn't know the meaning of the word virgin?

My favorite part was that the interviewer appeared to not know Sonja was/is planning a clothing line. Two questions where this is not known, including "have you ever considered doing a fashion,line?" And the person didn't know one of the photos was a dress from her line? AMAZING!! (TM Maurcio). And most of the photos were of other designers' dresses. Guess Sonja could only afford to have the one made.

If you're interested in Sonja's Latino Show article, it's here.

My favorite quote: "My brand is virgin and untainted, limitless and international."

Ha! Sonja doesn't know the meaning of the word virgin?

My favorite part was that the interviewer appeared to not know Sonja was/is planning a clothing line. Two questions where this is not known, including "have you ever considered doing a fashion,line?" And the person didn't know one of the photos was a dress from her line? AMAZING!! (TM Maurcio). And most of the photos were of other designers' dresses. Guess Sonja could only afford to have the one made.

• Love 2

Just read Sonja's blog about the episode. In it she says the most important things for success are positivity, visualization and tenacity. I would have though brains, hard work and focus would help more.

But then Sonja also says everything she dreamed has come through. Personally, I wouldn't have dreamed of a $7million judgment that can't be avoided through bankruptcy, but I guess I forgot to do my visualizations while lighting my abundance candles.

• Love 6

Just read Sonja's blog about the episode. In it she says the most important things for success are positivity, visualization and tenacity. I would have though brains, hard work and focus would help more.

But then Sonja also says everything she dreamed has come through. Personally, I wouldn't have dreamed of a $7million judgment that can't be avoided through bankruptcy, but I guess I forgot to do my visualizations while lighting my abundance candles.

Did she just read The Secrect? I think for Sonjia in the past the most important part of success was finding a rich man to support her.

• Love 3