Type keyword(s) to search

Mary Ingalls: Little Prisspot on the Prairie

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention that there's NO photographic evidence Pa took his shirt off - and he followed 19th century convention of being photographed in a suit (and his wife and daughters were in formal dresses) despite not having two dimes to rub together!

Read the recent biography of the real Laura. The real Ingalls weren't quite as skint.

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention that there's NO photographic evidence Pa took his shirt off - and he followed 19th century convention of being photographed in a suit (and his wife and daughters were in formal dresses) despite not having two dimes to rub together!

Gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that the real dude also didn’t go around punching other folks out :D

• Love 2
13 hours ago, wanton87 said:

Gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that the real dude also didn’t go around punching other folks out :D

NOR was there ever any evidence that Pa had been a bedwetter- which ML actually had Charles claim! I''ll bet his grave REALLY spun when ML put that one out (and I have to wonder how the Real Life Mary Ingalls would have reacted to have had her character get married then lose a child).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

NOR was there ever any evidence that Pa had been a bedwetter- which ML actually had Charles claim! I''ll bet his grave REALLY spun when ML put that one out (and I have to wonder how the Real Life Mary Ingalls would have reacted to have had her character get married then lose a child).

But ML was a bedwetter, right? That probably explains that!

37 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

True, and ML openly admitted it -even going so far to produce a semi-autobiographical TV movie called The Loneliest Runner in which that was  central theme.

HOWEVER; even though his semi-fictional character WAS trying to console a fictional child by mentioning this, it STILL was a bit of slander on ML's part re the actual Real Life Charles Ingalls. Perhaps, it might have worked had Pa just said that an unnamed 'best friend' had been one in childhood rather than having ML make the claim on his own character's part- especially since his semi-fictional character HAD been based on a Real Life person.

Oddly enough, ML DID consider delaying if not altogether ignoring Mary's blindness  (despite it having happened to her Real Life counterpart) so he could have a plot of her having an engagement then marriage to the (fictional) Edwardses' adopted (and fictional) son  called John, Jr. but evidently MSA objected to this so ML chucked the idea and went full speed ahead re Mary going blind and claimed he did so because THAT is was Real Life Mary had had happened. However; ML DID veer back off the 'reality' wagon by having LHOP Mary get married afterwards then bear and bury a child.

Edited by Blergh
boldly going
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Did no one in the LHOTP crew realise that the actress was using the baby prop as a batting ram?

Maybe that was the direction. 

"It's a fire! You have to get out! Hit the window harder! That doll's plenty sturdy!"

• LOL 1
On 9/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, sistermagpie said:

Poor ML. It sounds like he never really got over the feeling of shame. There was less understanding of bedwetting back then and his mother publicly humiliating him made it worse.

Maybe that's why he had Carrie wet herself all over the prairie. It was a form of therapy for him.

"his mother publicly humiliating him"

I've never understood the belief that horrible women should be let off easy or it's "anti-feminist". My mother was a horrible human being who took delight in ridiculing and humiliating me. 

• Love 1
On 8/22/2014 at 8:02 AM, Maherjunkie said:

Has MSA ever spoken to her on set reputation?

On 8/22/2014 at 1:50 PM, juneday said:

I don't think she's ever specifically addressed it. She does mention in her book that she and some of the other cast members didn't get along 100% of the time or something to that extent.

(Resurrected some older posts!)

Have you seen Melissa Gilbert's appearance on Watch What Happens Live from a few years ago? She discusses MSA's behavior on set and is more candid than the usual "we just didn't get along." Begins around 1:10 mark:

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-11/videos/after-show-melissas-troubled-little-house-relationship

• Love 3
On 10/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, SCS said:

(Resurrected some older posts!)

Have you seen Melissa Gilbert's appearance on Watch What Happens Live from a few years ago? She discusses MSA's behavior on set and is more candid than the usual "we just didn't get along." Begins around 1:10 mark:

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-11/videos/after-show-melissas-troubled-little-house-relationship

I came across an interview one time with Radames Pera (John Jr). He also mentioned that MSA was difficult to work with, to the point that he would breath a sigh of relief when he showed up on set and learned that he would not have to shoot any scenes with her on that particular day.

The combination of being rejected by my peers at "regular school" and her rejecting my friendship in the working environment eventually got to me, and one day I lost my patience with her while in the little (and actual) school room - I needed to borrow a pencil for some math work I had, and she had 3 sharp ones next to her tablet, so I asked to borrow one and she pointedly said "No." I replied, under my breath, "What a b****..."  The other kids (about 4 of them: Melissa Gilbert (Laura) and Alison Arngrim included) all contained their reactions ("OMG!" etc.), but were astonished I had said what we all thought. Miss Anderson distinctly had something lodged between her butt-cheeks, but I was the only one foolish enough to tell her so. Of course, this partially led to me getting written out of the show.

On the other hand, he probably didn’t breath a sigh of relief when he showed up on set after a long hiatus, and just discovered that he had been murdered :D

http://littlehousedocumentary.weebly.com/radames-pera-aka-john-edwards.html

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

so he's saying MSA had a stick lodged up her arse? Oh, dear...

More likely yet another freshly sharpened pencil ;-)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

Wow. The stories about MSA keep piling up. I don't think I've read one nice thing. Very curious about what her deal was.

I think "she was an arsehole" seems to have been her deal.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, savannah31401 said:
On 9/23/2017 at 8:35 PM, VCRTracking said:

MSA looking fab in this clip from the all-star roller disco episode of CHiPs in 1979. Victor French is also there, NOT wearing roller skates but still boogieing down!

Thank you for bringing this into my life.

*Trying very hard not to LMAO at work*

OMG.....next to Linda Lavin and Martha Raye singing 'Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?' on Alice I never saw anything so cheesy!

Antonio Fargas was getting down though and so was Todd Bridges....Dan Haggerty and Dana Plato did look like they were, um, 'spiked'.

• Love 1