Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts: Fashionably Crafty, Hootie-Hoo, Daughter Oz, Croc-man and Bacon Guy

On 9/24/2018 at 9:42 PM, biakbiak said:

Daphne’s announced on her IG story that she is starting a podcast called Mom Brain, more details to come but I doubt I will listen.

Hard pass. I never liked Daphne and I doubt I'd like her any more off The Chew.

Edited by Ciarrai
  • Love 2

After the live Facebook someone mentioned in a comment  that the 3 should try to get something going with Netflix.  Clinton responded that it was a great idea.

I was just watching Wendy Williams and she put all the blame on Mario's scandal as to why the chew was canceled.  Carla didn't argu with her. We all knew that was the reason but the look on Carla's face tells me she was glad WW said it. Carla also said how much they loved being together again on  Facebook live .

• Love 2
On 10/25/2018 at 12:54 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

After the live Facebook someone mentioned in a comment  that the 3 should try to get something going with Netflix.  Clinton responded that it was a great idea.

I was just watching Wendy Williams and she put all the blame on Mario's scandal as to why the chew was canceled.  Carla didn't argu with her. We all knew that was the reason but the look on Carla's face tells me she was glad WW said it. Carla also said how much they loved being together again on  Facebook live .

Oh, Carla, Clinton and Michael probably know all kinds of things and were parties to all sorts of discussions behind the scenes, post-Mario and pre-cancellation, and we will never know what they know or what they were told!   Everything that they have publicly said or that ABC has said has been approved by ABC's lawyers, but it's probably not even half of the real story.

Wendy Williams was one of the people who spoke up right when the news of The Chew's cancellation was first announced back in May.  I remember that she suggested that she thought it was related to Mario's mess, and I think she also said something to the effect of thinking that ABC should have tried to keep the show on a bit longer, after the post-Mario dust had settled a bit.  I know she thought that ABC was cancelling it too soon, without enough time away from the Mario scandal.  (I am paraphrasing, but that was the essence of it.)

While I don't doubt that the ratings dropped to a level that ABC was not happy with, I am also positive that they could have tried different things to freshen it up for one extra season, to see if that worked in bringing up the ratings -- like changing the format a bit, getting rid of some segments or adding in new segments, or maybe cutting it down from a daily show to a weekly show, or reducing the number of new episodes in a season, airing it at a different time of day, etc.   They could have even added in a new permanent host or continued the revolving door of co-hosts. 

It's not that I would have wanted ABC to change anything on The Chew, but that is typically what a network would try to do with a show like that, with multiple hosts -- change things up.  It was as if they were just trying to detach themselves from the show and dump it as quickly as possible.    I am convinced that at least some part of that decision was based on wanting to jump ship before anymore potential Mario news came out.   They could have been afraid that something was going to come out about Mario's behavior with people on The Chew's staff (which was not part of the original allegations).    There could be all sorts of discussions that took place and things that were said behind the scenes, which we will never know.

Also, I remember when Clinton answered a bunch of questions on Facebook a while back, and when he was giving his responses to different people, one thing he said was that he "didn't know why" ABC cancelled The Chew.   He didn't say "It was because of the ratings."   He also said (to someone who asked it the cancellation had to do with the Mario mess) that he thought that the 60 Minutes segment on Mario probably "didn't help" the situation.  He couldn't say what actually happened, obviously, but the fact that he brought up the 60 Minutes show as something that "probably didn't help" makes me think that it was mentioned behind the scenes, by frantic ABC execs.

Anyway, I could have missed something, but I didn't see this mentioned in the couple of threads I checked.   Daphne is doing a new sort-of-show called The Dish -- which will air every Wednesday, in the second half of her dad's show!  In other words, every week on Wednesday, the second half hour of her dad's regular show will become The Dish.    The Dish is going to also feature Valerie Bertinelli, Jamika Pessoa and Jessie James Decker.    Daphne responded to someone in a comment to say that Marcela Valladolid is going to be on an upcoming show too.

So.. essentially, The Dish is going to be a show-within-a-show, but to me it sounds like this is a trial run to see if they can pick up enough viewers to make it its own series later on down the line.   If they get viewers, it will probably leave the Dr. Oz nest and become a real show in syndication.    I would not be shocked to see Carla pop up as a guest at some point.

1 hour ago, Ciarrai said:

Disappointing that she still has to use her dad to get anywhere.

My extreme dislike for her really comes to the forefront sometimes. I guess today is one of those times!

I feel the same way. I disliked her at first, liked her a bit later on, but of all the hosts (including Mario), Daphne was clearly the least talented and she had just used her dad's name to get hired. Of all the remaining hosts after she left (excluding Mario). Daphne is the one I least want to see back on TV. At least I am in no danger of ever watching her, as I have no interest in pseudo-science and snake oil and thus avoid Dr. Oz like the plague.

I recorded Dr Oz last wenesday and today to watch Daphne do her Chew type segment .  ? Nope, can't watch it again. I never hated Daphne but she just  doesn't have it to carry a show on her own. Daphne was always the weakest link.  

She had Valerie Bertinelli on as a co host. It reminded me that I enjoyed her cooking show. I'll have to record VB's show. I love watching food shows during the holidays.  I'll skip Daphne. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Carla is on "Hollywood Game Night," right now. I didn't even know the show was still on. Anyway, it must have filmed months ago because they said she's on the chew🙁. 

Sometimes they are filmed over a year before! 

• Love 1
On 11/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

Carla is on "Hollywood Game Night," right now. I didn't even know the show was still on. Anyway, it must have filmed months ago because they said she's on the chew🙁. 

I remember her mentioning on The Chew that she had been on Hollywood Game Night but have no recollection of when she mentioned it.

I notice that Daphne was on the Today show this morning to promote a podcast she is now doing called "Mom Brain." Her co-host has a really annoying voice. Looks like Daphne is throwing something else at the wall to see what she can monetize.