Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts: Fashionably Crafty, Hootie-Hoo, Daughter Oz, Croc-man and Bacon Guy

She just released a book earlier in the year which is how they explained away her absence at the beginning of the year and then a long vacation in the spring, I think they pretaped a lot this year because a lot of the talk at the top has been generic.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:34 AM, orangeiguana said:

I love Carla, but OMFG lose the Aunt Jemima bandana! So un-PC!

Are you referring to what she had in her hair on Monday?  I thought it was a hair clip.  The fruit reminded me of Carmen Miranda.  Not Aunt Jemima.

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Are you referring to what she had in her hair on Monday?  I thought it was a hair clip.  The fruit reminded me of Carmen Miranda.  Not Aunt Jemima.

No, no fruit involved. It was a full-on red-bandanna Aunt Jemima snood. I believe it was Friday; Back Yard BBQ with the barbershop quartet. It was wildly inappropriate. I'm southern, so I'm pretty sensitive to these things.

8 hours ago, Qoass said:

I have to believe that they all do those infomercial segments with gritted teeth, knowing their paychecks depend on them.

And that Mario is a good negotiator who had a clause put into his contract to keep him from having to directly shill Hidden Valley Ranch.

• Love 5

I just watched the latest Counting On (Duggar dreck) and was surprised to see Daphne as the host of the upcoming two-part clip show. I thought maybe she was having a difficult pregnancy and that was why she's been missing from The Chew so much. Now I'm wondering if she is easing out of this show, since she has time to moonlight on Food Network and TLC.

• Love 2

She has had a lighter schedule from even before she was pregnant, I believe.

The thing with the Chew is that it's more of a daily show. (I know they pre-tape too but, except for summer, it takes up at least half the week.  For something like The Food Network, they can probably block tape a few episodes that air over the course of weeks.

Given the amount of cleavage being shown by today's guest it was funny that Clinton brought up What Not To Wear - wonder if he thought she would have qualified for what not to wear for a daytime cooking show! She was pleasant & they all seemed to enjoy her company - but - what an eyeful!!

I saw a bit of Daphne and Dr. Charlatan on Rachael Ray yesterday and a bit of them on Today this morning. Looks like she may be returning to her (mostly unscientific) health claims about food like her season 1 schtick, and riding Daddy's coattails again, to boot. I wonder if that decision preceded or followed her departure from The Chew.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:15 PM, Marathonrunner said:

Given the amount of cleavage being shown by today's guest it was funny that Clinton brought up What Not To Wear - wonder if he thought she would have qualified for what not to wear for a daytime cooking show! She was pleasant & they all seemed to enjoy her company - but - what an eyeful!!

Danielle Brooks represents Cacique (the bra brand that she brought up, to which Clinton said he's always said the right bra is important). The way it was brought up on the show, I'm pretty sure The Chew got compensated for her little off the cuff mention of her extensive cleavage. The way the whole topic came up felt artificial. Carla did a product placement recipe this week, too. I was hoping that with the money saved by Daphne's exit, the hosts would have to do fewer of these.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:10 AM, General Days said:

Danielle Brooks represents Cacique (the bra brand that she brought up, to which Clinton said he's always said the right bra is important). The way it was brought up on the show, I'm pretty sure The Chew got compensated for her little off the cuff mention of her extensive cleavage. The way the whole topic came up felt artificial. Carla did a product placement recipe this week, too. I was hoping that with the money saved by Daphne's exit, the hosts would have to do fewer of these.

Just watching the Danielle Brooks episode (I DVR The Chew ).    I'm no prude, but I found her cleavage was quite distracting - I was convinced that any minute we'd see a wardrobe malfunction!  She may be repping for Cacique, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't wearing anything from that product line under her dress.  Double sided tape (maybe), but no bra.  She seems like fun.  Apparently she's vegan, but said she can't cook, they made a "vegan mac and cheese" using soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and assorted spices.  It didn't look appealing to me.   Judging from the expressions on Clinton and Michael's faces after they took a bite it wasn't very good.  Michael, whose usually very enthusiastic about most food made the comment that he "hadn't made a full decision on it yet and that it didn't taste very "mac and cheesy".  Clinton took a small bite and said "its hard to substitute cheese".

Michael made a tasty looking Sloppy Joe recipe,  During the segment Clinton shared that he's gone back to eating small amounts of red meat.  Apparently, he wasn't eating meat for health concerns (cholesterol) and his levels had not improved, so he said his doctor said he could go back to eating small amounts of "grass fed meat" because the omega fatty three acids in grass fed beef.   OK, Clinton whatever.  Throughout the whole show they kept prefacing everything by saying "hashtag" (Carla especially seemed to go overboard doing this) so I'm giving Clinton's beef explanation #sideeye #whateverdude.

I'm not missing Daphne at all this season, today Mario wasn't there and I didn't miss him either.  Sometimes he can be a pompous ass IMO.  I could even do without Carla - she went on and on about how her latest hobby is to "crash and photo bomb" weddings and she showed some pictures of her crashing/photo bombing outdoor weddings while they were in Chicago this weekend.  She certainly has a high opinion of her "celebrity"............. YMMV.

All said, despite all of my nitpicking I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, but agree General Days, I could do with less "product placement" recipes also.  I'd hate to see them turn into another "The Kitchen".

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Clinton was always up front that he had cut out the red meat for cholesterol concerns.  

Aquarian1, thanks for letting me know the reasoning behind Clinton's aversion to "mammals" last season.  I wasn't aware of the reason, (I don't always watch every episode I DVR), so I must have missed him mentioning it.  I also have high cholesterol and try to limit my diet mainly to fish, but looking at my last cholesterol reading it's not working.  My doctor said that unfortunately some people have to take statins regardless of diet.

Carla is helping him, Michael just asked her to julienne  some scallions for him.  I hope she was joking when she said "julienne?"- Michael said yeah, "slice them thin, on the bias."  Carla is a chef, I would assume she knows the meaning of the word julienne.  Her dress looks like a flag (looks like a modified hurricane warning flag).  She certainly wears some interesting outfits.  This afternoon she had a spoon, whisk and a fork (looked like modified hair pins) holding her updo.

Michael just finished making a delicious looking cauliflower omelet.  He's making me hungry!

8 hours ago, zoemom said:

arla is helping him, Michael just asked her to julienne  some scallions for him.  I hope she was joking when she said "julienne?"- Michael said yeah, "slice them thin, on the bias."  Carla is a chef, I would assume she knows the meaning of the word julienne. 

I think Carla was confused because Michael mispoke. Julienne is specifically long thin strips like matchsticks which is not what he actually wanted. Thin and in the bias isn't a julienne.

• Love 2

I never watched this show on a regular basis and realized (after discussing Daphne Oz with my son) that I hadn't seen it recently.  I decided to watch today.  Daphne wasn't there and now I see hints in this thread that she's gone.  How far back will I have to read to find out what happened? 

BUT FIRST (and sometimes our family likes to write, BUTT FIRST), I do not like Anne Heche.  I can't understand why she keeps getting jobs.  Doesn't she eventually cause problems every time.  Today she was over-the-top annoying.  Does she ever shut up?  Does anyone think she's as cute and funny as she does?  Thankfully, they showed a long enough clip of "The Brave" to let me know I won't be watching that one.   And what was her association with food and cooking?   And then...and then!!!   I watched my DVR of today's "The View."  Who was on?  EGAD!  Kristin Chenoweth.   Someone in TVLand is trying my patience.

Oh...my son (50yrs old) has been home for almost a year with complications of surgery for Crohn's disease. Big time complications that aren't getting resolved.  He mentioned that he just learned that "one of the judges" on some Food Network show he likes was Dr. Oz's daughter.  I told him that she was an original host and regular on "The Chew," and now I'll have to chew my words.

44 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

How far back will I have to read to find out what happened? 

BUT

No one knows what happened, it was just announced shortly before the beware season that she wouldn't be back. They actually didn't even mention it on the first episode but on the second episode Clinton briefly mentioned she wouldn't be returning and wished herwell

1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Doesn't she eventually cause problems every time.  Today she was over-the-top annoying.  Does she ever shut up?  Does anyone think she's as cute and funny as she does?

Most of the rumors of her problems are related to her personal life.  I'll admit that I love her and have loved her since she played twins on Another World. (In fact, her Emmys look was so very much like what one of those characters would wear.)  I thought she was great in Men and Trees and hilarious on the Michael J Fox Show.  I got a kick out of her segments and how much she had the hosts in stitches. 

1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

I never watched this show on a regular basis and realized (after discussing Daphne Oz with my son) that I hadn't seen it recently.  I decided to watch today.  Daphne wasn't there and now I see hints in this thread that she's gone.  How far back will I have to read to find out what happened? 

In addition to the details that @BIAKBIAK provided, if you haven't watched much you might not know that she actually missed quite a few episodes starting during the second half of last season...i.e. earlier this year.  Some of that was due to an ailing in-law who passed away.  And some was due to book promotion.  But that didn't explain it all.  And when she announced her third pregnancy earlier this summer, her leaving kind of felt inevitable.  It was both a surprise and not a surprise.

The Chew has now had two yummy looking cauliflower recipes. The omelette today and the soup Clinton made earlier this week.  I think I might make the soup. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I got a kick out of her segments and how much she had the hosts in stitches. 

And I'm of the opposite opinion.  She seemed to take over and get the schedule off.  They weren't able to make the salmon puff dish.  Still...I'm probably in the minority because she continues to get the occasional good job.  I think maybe she's better (for me) if she sticks to a script.  She's too unstable personally and tries too hard on interviews...again, for me.

Edited by Former Nun
OMG! to...too...two (have I come to that?
  • Love 3
On 9/29/2017 at 11:02 PM, Former Nun said:

The news broke in August. Here's the first post on it, from the media thread.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:41 PM, milkyaqua said:

I think Michigan is where he gets away from it all.  Maybe that’s why?  

I’m wondering why he is away so much since the start of the season.  Has it always been like this but less noticeable since Daphne was there?  Or is he getting ready to split too?

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, morgan said:

think Michigan is where he gets away from it all.  Maybe that’s why?  

Yes, he has just been their a ton this year, he used to just go in the summer. I follow him on IG and he always posts when he is there.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Irlandesa said:

Most of the rumors of her problems are related to her personal life.  I'll admit that I love her and have loved her since she played twins on Another World. (In fact, her Emmys look was so very much like what one of those characters would wear.)  I thought she was great in Men and Trees and hilarious on the Michael J Fox Show.  I got a kick out of her segments and how much she had the hosts in stitches. 

In addition to the details that @BIAKBIAK provided, if you haven't watched much you might not know that she actually missed quite a few episodes starting during the second half of last season...i.e. earlier this year.  Some of that was due to an ailing in-law who passed away.  And some was due to book promotion.  But that didn't explain it all.  And when she announced her third pregnancy earlier this summer, her leaving kind of felt inevitable.  It was both a surprise and not a surprise.

The Chew has now had two yummy looking cauliflower recipes. The omelette today and the soup Clinton made earlier this week.  I think I might make the soup. 

I should add to what you said -- as a point in Anne Heche's favor -- she was very good in an above-par Lifetime movie with Eric Roberts from several years ago, Fatal Desire.   She played the leading lady very well.  Maybe it was too easy for her to play "nutty," and maybe she is just a good actress.  I'm not sure.  All I know is that it was a good movie, and she was very effective in it.

Anne is definitely offbeat, at best, when she is not acting more 'out there' than usual.   I don't think I have ever seen or heard an interview with her where she wasn't kooky, with a strange energy about her.  She usually leaves most hosts confused and unsure of how to handle her!

However, sometimes those sorts of guests are great for shows like The Chew to mix things up and make everything awkward in a wonderful way.  I, personally, was not bothered by Jamie Lee Curtis' last appearance on The Chew (she acted very strange) because it was so obvious that she was behaving oddly and everyone knew it.  It made things awkward and uncomfortable, but I think the hosts all knew that it was probably going to make for interesting TV.  Sometimes it's good to shake things up with kooky guests every so often.

...Jumping to another topic in this thread -- Mario.   As for Mario and his absences... Michael Symon responded to someone (who asked about Mario) on, I think, Facebook or Instagram a couple of weeks back, to say that Mario is not gone from the show. 

For the last couple of years I've felt that Mario was just hanging on by a thread, and that he would probably end up being one of the first to leave.   I just don't think his heart is in it most of the time, for whatever reason.  It could be that he clashes with ABC's execs about certain creative decisions and it makes him prickly, or maybe he just wants to do other things with his time.    Mario doesn't really need the Chew job.   He doesn't need the money.   He doesn't need the exposure or prestige.  

It's quite possible that this show was something Mario wanted to do for only a little while -- made more enticing because his good friend Michael is on too, and they clearly enjoy each other because they know each other well -- but he could have started to burn out at some point or another.  Maybe he agreed to stay on the show only if he could have X number of weeks off each season or whatever.  And if ABC felt that Mario was important enough to The Chew to keep on the payroll, they might have agreed to those terms.   Or... this could be the "transition phase," in which we will see less and less of Mario over a long period of time, and then, before the next season starts, we find out he is gone.  I would really not be shocked if he is gone before Season 8.

I think that we will see Mario for the Halloween show -- and maybe a couple of Fall/Halloween-themed shows prior to that one.  I think we will, of course, see Mario for some of the Thanksgiving and Holiday season episodes (those are probably important to the network).  After the new year, though... I wonder.

It looks like Mario is one week on and one week off-ish.  He was there the first week but not there the second.  He wasn't there the third week but that was the week they were taping in FL and he actually was there.  That aired last week so I'm guessing the hosts had off.  Now if my theory were correct, he'd be taping this week but perhaps he wanted a two week vacation. And he might be trying to stack more weeks off during the fall since it's fall and fall is gorgeous.

Another reason to have four or more hosts: all of them have other projects that are just as important to them and they're given the time off to attend to them. I'm fine with it. Mario is never going to be the "wacky" guy like Michael but he does seem to have a great passion for teaching and also enjoys many of the guests.

18 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

However, sometimes those sorts of guests are great for shows like The Chew to mix things up and make everything awkward in a wonderful way.  I, personally, was not bothered by Jamie Lee Curtis' last appearance on The Chew (she acted very strange) because it was so obvious that she was behaving oddly and everyone knew it.

I loved Jamie Lee Curtis on the show and Anne's segment did remind me of her a bit but not so much because of the guest but rather because of the host (Clinton).  When JLC was on, she was loopy and it was another time that they didn't get to the recipe.  Clinton was (IMO) visibly irritated and upset by that...so much so that they gave out the recipe the next day even though it was a pretty simple dump and stir recipe.  I love Clinton but I felt he handled that poorly.

The hosts and guests talking so much that they really don't have much time to do the recipe happens all the time.  It just isn't as obvious when it's someone like Mario leading the segment vs. Clinton.  Mario is clearly comfortable cooking and talking so that's often what he does.  Sometimes he interjects what he's doing but sometimes he just quickly runs through it at the end of the segment.  Clinton adopted this technique with Anne and the segment felt more jovial than his segment with JLC. 

I watch this show for the recipes too but the days of getting the recipe from TV are long gone.  They usually just list the ingredients and if you want to see the full recipe, you go online.  I've always thought Clinton was the best/most experienced at this job but could sometimes be too rigid with plans.  He seems to be more willing to go with the flow this season and I see that as growth.

14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I caught a bit of the show the other day and saw Carla was wearing support on her left leg. What did she do to injure it?

She broke a metatarsal rehearsing for a dance thing.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She broke a metatarsal rehearsing for a dance thing.

Thanks.

I follow Mario, Michael, and Carla on Instagram and Twitter. Mario and his wife went to Paris this week to celebrate their anniversary, and are in Rome now.

7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks.

I follow Mario, Michael, and Carla on Instagram and Twitter. Mario and his wife went to Paris this week to celebrate their anniversary, and are in Rome now.

This week is the opening of Eataly World in Bologna so that is why he is in Italy. They even mentioned it on the show the other day.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2017 at 8:41 AM, biakbiak said:

Daphne had her daughter! 

It would be nice if the show would acknowledge that. Not sure of the politics of her leaving so I have no idea if they will mention it.

It seems like Mario is only on every other week this season. I think the show is better when it is the four of them.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

It would be nice if the show would acknowledge that. Not sure of the politics of her leaving so I have no idea if they will mention it.

It seems like Mario is only on every other week this season. I think the show is better when it is the four of them.

The picture I posted was from The Chew's account who reposted Daphne's announcement and they acknowledged it on the show today, showing the picture and congratulaing her. They most likely were in the middle of filming yesterday's show when she posted the announcement. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The picture I posted was from The Chew's account who reposted Daphne's announcement and they acknowledged it on the show today, showing the picture and congratulaing her. They most likely were in the middle of filming yesterday's show when she posted the announcement. 

So it was, thanks. Sorry, I am both Instagram-illiterate and a day behind on the show.

I haven't watched this show in years but popped in to see what the discussion was about Batali and the sexual assault/impropriety allegations against him ... but nobody's mentioned it.  Is the show on hiatus?  (BTW, the article in today's NYT about Ken Friedman's restaurant's "Rape Room" contains accounts of really appalling behavior on Batali's part.)  Interesting article.

9 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I haven't watched this show in years but popped in to see what the discussion was about Batali and the sexual assault/impropriety allegations against him ... but nobody's mentioned it.  Is the show on hiatus?  (BTW, the article in today's NYT about Ken Friedman's restaurant's "Rape Room" contains accounts of really appalling behavior on Batali's part.)  Interesting article.

Its being discussed in the media thread and the episode thread.