Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts: Fashionably Crafty, Hootie-Hoo, Daughter Oz, Croc-man and Bacon Guy

Discuss the hosts here...

While I never hated Daphne, she used to be the one I thought could most easily be "lifted out" without much impact.  I no longer feel that way.  I love the chemistry and banter between them all.  It's what makes the show for me.

• Love 3

I think Clinton is my favorite, mainly because I feel like I've known him the longest with What Not To Wear, followed by Carla, Daphne, Michael then Mario. I don't necessarily miss Mario when he's gone. I actually preferred Curtis filling in for him (which may or may not have everything to do with the accent and the gorgeousness).

Daphne's constant giggling did bother me when I first started watching but now I don't mind it. Someone that laughs too much is way down on the list of what annoys me. She doesn't seem to take herself too seriously and I loved the other day at the end of the show when they were all sitting around the table talking and Daphne just busted in with this gasp stating that Carla and Clinton's names mashed together created Carlton. It was so off the cuff and cute.

• Love 1

I don't mind Daphne much, but I hate when she gives horrible medical/other advice. Some of her ideas and tips are good, but some are complete woo that it makes it hard to take the decent stuff seriously.

• Love 2

I don't mind Daphne much, but I hate when she gives horrible medical/other advice. Some of her ideas and tips are good, but some are complete woo that it makes it hard to take the decent stuff seriously.

Like father, like daughter.

• Love 8

I'm not a vegetarian but eat very little meat and would enjoy seeing vegetarian recipes or effective veg substitutions, especially for their main dishes. (Disclaimer: I haven't been paying as close attention to the show as I'd like to because of real-life distractions, so they may be doing this and I'm missing it.)

What I don't miss are Daphne's days of adding psyllium husks to everything and giving nutritional rundowns of all the recipes. Her role on the show when it first started was unbearable. She's much more tolerable now and I like when she offers a lighter version of the dish being prepared, but I still have a very hard time taking her seriously either as a nutritional expert or a cook/chef.

• Love 3

The fact that Michael and Mario clearly adore her and treat her like the daughter that neither of them have makes me like her. Michael calling her "Daffles" will never not be sweet to me.

I missed the first season where she was in the full "nutritionist" form which probably makes me have a better impression of her.

I do agree they should feature more vegetarian recipes, Mario has mentioned several times that his family eats meatless at least once a week and Michael's wife is a vegetarian so neither of them are unfamiliar with cooking vegetarian and so they definitely could go to that well more often.

I have to say my favorite of the shows are when it's just the five of them and no guests they have a great chemistry together, so whoever (Gordon or the other producers/casting people) put them together should be commended!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

Yeah Daphne held a sign up saying I'm pregnant.

They didn't talk about it much. Has it been out there? Or is this the first people are hearing about it. I was shocked. I thought she would a couple years.

Edited by imjagain

Yeah Daphne held a sign up saying I'm pregnant.

They didn't talk about it much. Has it been out there? Or is this the first people are hearing about it. I was shocked. I thought she would wait a couple years.

Today seems to be the 1st day they've spoken about it--at least publicly/on the show. I was kind of surprised myself. But, to be fair, Daphne's daughter's 13 months old already; so it's not exactly like Daphne got pregnant again as soon as they could start trying, once she was medically cleared after her recovery from the 1st pregnancy/birth. Here's the link to the announcement People magazine posted about it earlier today:

http://celebritybabies.people.com/2015/04/23/daphne-oz-pregnant-expecting-second-child/

Daphne's daughter should be almost/a little over 2 (depending on how far into this pregnancy it was announced) by the time her baby brother or sister arrives (they haven't announced the gender, if they know it yet)--the linked article said she's 13 months old now. I think that's (2 years) a fairly reasonable space between siblings, speaking just for myself.

• Love 3

This may be a little snarky but, do you think Bobby Flay's divorce will prompt Michael to bring Liz into the conversation more often?

Given today's show was shot this week and he mentioned her like five tines, I think we have a winner!

• Love 1

While I thought she looked fabulous overall (certainly better than I did a year after my baby), I have been perplexed by Daphne's wardrobe choices lately. I thought they were really unflattering... so the announcement was like "oh.... well that makes sense."  Not that she has to be skinny pre-pregnancy weight. I don't want to sound like I'm body shaming.  It's just that I did notice something but hadn't figured out what.

I'm assuming she's at least 3 months, as it's still the rule most people follow, especially if you're in the public eye. I like how she surprises the hosts and Mario tears up and everyone has such a genuine emotional moment.

• Love 4

Even pre first pregnancy Daphne couldn't dress for her body and looked pregnant. She has even talked about how people would come up and ask her when she was due. That said I did wonder recently if she was pregnant and felt bad because I remember her complaining about it.

• Love 2

Even pre first pregnancy Daphne couldn't dress for her body and looked pregnant. She has even talked about how people would come up and ask her when she was due. That said I did wonder recently if she was pregnant and felt bad because I remember her complaining about it.

Yes, Daphne has no waist. So she tends to look thicker in the middle with any weight on her. She reminds me of one of my sisters. It can be hard to dress or find things that flatter her shape.

Daphne is stunning imo, I wish Clinton would take her on as a client lol. Help her or the the people on the show who dress her pick stuff for Daphne that is more flattering.

• Love 2

A great moment from yesterday's show: Clinton is going around the table at the beginning, reviewing what each host will be doing during the show. He gets to Daphne, who is wearing a flowing floral chiffon off the shoulder blouse with her hair in an updo, and Clinton says, "...and Daphne will be posing for the cover of a romance novel with Fabio." It was hilarious (Clinton is an outstanding host) and the way they all reacted to it was warm and familial. It made me remember what a hot mess this show was at the very beginning, before Daphne got a sense of humor, everyone gelled, and the pace stopped being frantic. They've come a long way.

• Love 2

She keeps referring to herself as a millennial and while there isn't a definite cut off for ages, she's on the older side. She did it this week to reference how young and hip she is and it's like "no..... you're 30 and married with two kids." Not that you can't be fabulous with those things but you aren't really a kid any more. Like if that generation stretches to people (kids still, really) born in 2000ish, what does she have in common with the 16-year old buying prom dresses right now that the rest of the hosts don't have?  To them she seems like a baby but she's really not.

I fall into the spot between her and the rest of the hosts in age. So it's not like I think of her as a creepy old lady while I study for the SATs.

Edited by elzin

If Daphne is thirty and born in 1986, she's most certainly a millennial. The Baby Boom was 1946-1964, Generation X is 1964/5 to early eighties - most end it 81/82, some push it to 83/84. 

Someone elsewhere mentioned recently that they couldn't believe that they (at thirty-five) and someone graduating high school could both be considered part of the same grouped demographic; but many forget that there's a older and younger spectrum to each cohort, and not all millennials are twenty-two. For instance, going back:

In 1981, the oldest Baby Boomer (born in 1946) was thirty-five; the youngest (born in 1964) was graduating high school that same year. 

For anyone on either end of the spectrum, it probably does seem strange that someone so much older or younger is "their generation." 

Edited by CaliCheeseSucks
  • Love 1

Like I said, she's on the older end of the spectrum, but she talks about herself as like a kid sometimes and she's not. She's a full grown serious adult. Although I'm older, she's got a lot more in common with my cynical Gen X self on a lot of things than someone who's still in HS.  It feels grasping, like a marketing thing. "The Chew has a millennial." Well, technically, yes, but she's not a carefree young 'un.  So maybe for me it's not the words but the age gap with the other hosts? I don't know. I guess I look at real young people and she doesn't seem to have much in common with them now because she's older and at a different point in her life.

I try to like Daphne, I really do. But I honestly don't miss her when she's not on the show and I don't think she really adds much of anything.

She's the only one who really "needs" the show for work. Carla has her restaurant and catering business, Clinton is still well-known for What Not To Wear, Mario is Mario, and Michael has his own restaurants and various appearances. Daphne really has nothing other than The Chew. Of course she has her family, but profession-wise.

• Love 1

Has anyone else read Clinton's book?  There are some funny stories, but you definitely should read the chapter "Turd in a Punch Bowl" about Paula Deen's guest visit. Seriously, just go to a library and read that chapter. 

• Love 1

I have it on hold at the library and given how long I've been waiting for it, apparently it's quite popular.  Can't wait to read it.

Can anybody recommend any of his other books?

Maybe Daphne is working on a book or other project. Clinton took time off for his book and fashion TV show. I don't think they'd let her go after they've reached such a good dynamic as a team -- although I could never figure out (besides the obvious) why she was there.