Type keyword(s) to search

Robot Chicken - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Robot Chicken" Takes on Riverdale High with "The Bleepin' Robot Chicken Archie Comics Special" on May 23

The Bleepin’ Robot Chicken Archie Comics Special premiering Sunday, May 23 at midnight ET/PT on Adult Swim. In the half-hour special, Archie faces the action-packed return of Josie and the Pussycats from outer space to Riverdale in this animated comedy. Featuring the origin of Archie Andrews as only the Robot Chicken writers can tell it! The Bleepin’ Robot Chicken Archie Comics Special features a star-studded voice cast that includes Fred Armisen, Rachel Leigh Cook, Hugh Davidson, Donald Faison, Betty Gilpin, Clare Grant, Seth Green, Jared Harris, Jane Lynch, Jason Mantzoukas, Breckin Meyer, Ryan Phillipe, Katee Sackhoff, Amy Sedaris, and Cree Summer among others.

• Love 3
(edited)

The majority of the special is Season 2 

(much like Power Rangers, I see the "spin-off" of the Pussycats cartoon

as just being another season)

of the Pussycats cartoon combined with the movie "Alien".

Rachel Leigh Cook actually voicing Josie

(which I'm sure many of you have heard by now) was a nice touch.

"Why is there coconut smoothie everywhere?"

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that they didn't give Cheryl and Kevin a bigger part.

They also could have given Sabrina more to do.   She has a live-action show

to make fun of as well, you know.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had fun. I didn't really start thinking about Archie comics until I read Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Also, I've read some of the reboot from a few years back. The show hit the obvious targets, though the bit with little Archie's parents fighting leading to his neuroses with choosing between Betty and Veronica was inspired.

I mistook Dilton for the Nerd in the commercials. I guess that if one original character had to be pushed into the special, it should be Bitch Pudding. I mean . . . I like her, but I can see how "unhinged Strawberry Shortcake knockoff" can wear thin after a while.

ETA: Bonus points for not doing obvious gay jokes with Kevin. No, just put him in Riverdale’s pride parade, an event that lasts a minute at most. Then have Archie bitch about the Black Pride parade going wrong, followed by Chuck revealed he was out of town that day.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I don't watch Archie and Riverdale, but I'm generally familiar. I watched the Josie cartoon way back. I'm sure I missed some of the inside jokes, but I like the show anyway. 

I've been in high school my whole life. 

And you can't beat Sackoff ripping the scenery apart. 

I liked the songs. 

• Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, AnimeMania said:

Great concept. I think it runs tonight.

Last night’s Avengers fun: Red Skull “entertaining” Gamora’s dead body. Episode ended with the neighbors of Beru and Owen trying to get their stash out of their house without getting caught by Rey.

ETA: I think this is the second time they’ve gotten to Inside Out. Looks like the sequel is really short.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Saw the full Larry David bit. Could’ve used a tie-in promotion in real life. “Save fifteen percent on your first batch of no-tuck shirts. Just use the code LEEWAY during checkout!”

*sigh* I don’t think these guys can get a firm comedic handle on Gargoyles. April Fool’s zombie sketch was funny, though.

• Love 1

Anyone else watching? I just watched last night’s episode. I’m thinking the quick Dumbo/Joker bit might be one of the most depressing things I’ve seen lately. YMMV, of course . . . for some, it might be Bob Ross trying to mentally drown out “happy little trees” getting murdered.

What was that last bit with the Sylvanians? I think it was The Wicker Man, but no one got a bee helmet.

ETA: Turns out it was Midsommar Murders. I haven’t watched that, either. Here’s the back half from the AS YouTube:

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ApathyMonger said:

Mashing up Midsomer Murders and Midsommar could also be its own sketch.

Those are two separate things? Of course they are. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Looking at tonight”s episode description . . . apparently, we’ll be getting Batman BeyondCats (the movie) and Bitch Pudding taking on Bring It On.

Too . . . much . . . Bitch Pudding . . . urrrrrrrrgh.

Bruce going the Miyagi Method with Terry? Better. With a tech suit and movements based on caring for the elderly, you too can be a Batman!

I never watched the Cats movie. Would Garfield had made it better or worse?

ETA: They sure love Hey, Arnold! I don’t think they’ll top Arnold killing both parents when he was born thanks to that fucked-up football-shaped head.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Bruce going the Miyagi Method with Terry? Better. With a tech suit and movements based on caring for the elderly, you too can be a Batman!

I never watched the Cats movie. Would Garfield had made it better or worse?

I agree, too much Bitch Pudding. She's like a fish or a houseguest: both start to stink after three days.

I never saw the Cats movie either (although I watched either CinemaSins's takedown of it or Screen Rants's), but Garfield's presence certainly wouldn't have hurt. 

• Love 1

Caught the latest episode. Half of it involved a bear hijacking a UFO, crashing sketches and eating people. Pretty high concept . . . though watching it eat Muriel and Eustass as Courage the Cowardly Dog lays there because of Prozac and poor timing, what with Muriel’s VA passing away a few weeks ago.

Also: Joe Exotic/GI Joe final sketch worked, even though I don’t have Netflix and never cared about that shit last year.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I’m not into Kingdom Hearts, I don’t think I’ve had In-And-Out (I’m on the East Coast), so I don’t know what could be considered a bigger blasphemy: the Keyblade Party or the “Secret Menu.”

I liked Naruto taking an entrance exam. In the anime, the written part took two episodes, and it was intense. On the other hand, I don’t any of the Villages had ScanTron machines.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:36 PM, Lantern7 said:

My least favorite character. Although I shockingly didn't hate the Pitch Perfect spoof.

The GI Joe/Joe Exotic worked for me, I never watched the Netflix show but, that was all over the place so I knew about it.

I loved the Naruto Ninja Exam, especially the Teachers comment on his essay.

I thought the Cabbage Bender was funny, I did expect the cabbage blades to actually kill Zuko so laughed when they just bounced off...they were cabbages after all.

The Star Wars Rey/Palatine sketch was everything I needed, so glad they got Seth to voice the character again. Only thing that would have improved it, would be if Larry the Stormtrooper was running the chair.

I don't like the Nerd character that much but the Bravoverse was entertaining, since all I know about Real Housewives is the constant fighting/bitching/skipping while drinking wine. 😂

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1

There’s wrong. And then there’s wrong. And then there’s “Hey, let’s do a bit with Vietnam War movie tropes, and the ‘lead’ is Fievel Mousecewitz from An American Tail

Ho. Lee. SHIT.

Or maybe it was Peppa Pig going Guy Ritchie. Probably not . . . though I’m thinking more people know about her than Fievel.

For anyone with DVRs . . . I think a Halloween special is airing Thursday night, and it doesn’t have an episode number, so you might miss recording it.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:33 PM, Lantern7 said:

For anyone with DVRs . . . I think a Halloween special is airing Thursday night, and it doesn’t have an episode number, so you might miss recording it.

The Halloween special was also the season finale.

The season's episode numbering is confusing, as the Adult Swim site counts the Archie special from May as the first episode, meaning Ep. 1 is Ep. 2. etc.

• Love 1

I think there’s more season left, and we just hit the halfway point. The other path is that Adult Swim is putting the Chicken out to pasture. Or barbecue. Or something similarly permanent.

Loopy the Time Loop Toucan? Cool. Maybe he can fight crime with Montage. Boop-Boop!

• Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lantern7 said:

I think there’s more season left, and we just hit the halfway point. The other path is that Adult Swim is putting the Chicken out to pasture. Or barbecue. Or something similarly permanent.

Ah, some places referred to it as the full season before it began, but this article says midseason finale: https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/robot-chickens-nerd-has-to-cope-with-a-new-kind-of-halloween-in-this-exclusive-clip/

Glad there's more coming, it's been one of the better recent seasons.

• Love 1

I finally got around to season 11. I loved the 2001 opening, but some of the sketches are intense. Even Larry David got a ton of people killed. 

On 9/22/2021 at 5:33 AM, Lantern7 said:

And then there’s “Hey, let’s do a bit with Vietnam War movie tropes, and the ‘lead’ is Fievel Mousecewitz from An American Tail

Yeah, wow that was a bold take. 

Run Lola Run for Halloween is a loooong walk in 2021. I loved that movie though. I'm always all in for a time loop. I loved all the costumes. There was even a Russian doll. 

I mean, I liked it all, but that was one hell of an afternoon. 

• Love 1

Someone (not AdultSwim) posted the commercial twelve days ago. I am slipping.

Let’s see . . . Cabbage Patch Kids, Snoopy as WWI Flying Ace, Fred Flintstone & Great Gazoo, Kraken, Emperor Palpatine, Space Ace (man, the “Dragon’s Lair: The Middle Age” bit was forever ago), a more morbid Eeyore, Wonder Woman and Cheetah (doesn’t look based on WW 84, which might be for the best), Mario Kart, Golden Girls x Alien (great concept, bad timing after the passing of Betty White), and Rey & Kyle making out.

Episode description for “May Cause Indecision… Or Not”:

Fred Flintstone’s meaning of Christmas is madness; Freddy Kruger has a nightmare; interview with a toilet.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Can't wait to watch after work

It was a good episode. The adjective that comes to mind for me was "punchy,” though I'm not sure how accurate that is. Also, it might not be a good sign I can't remember anything aside from the Flintstones and the final sketch. I think that's more from my aging brain than anything.

ETA: One of the things teased in the synopsis for the next episode is a really deep cut:

Spoiler

Pirates of Dark Water

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I thought the spoof of DC Comics was pretty lame, with just a few highlights: the constant disparaging of Aquaman was hilarious; Superman's indiscriminate kissing to make everyone forget and then having it backfire on him; and Bane constantly breaking Batman's back. 

• Love 1

Kept meaning to bump this post. S11 wrapped up, and it was . . . okay. I think they peaked on the second half with Bruce Wayne finding re-enactments of his parents’ murder at Crime Alley.

”The Legend of Zelda” bit . . . no. Never again.

Is the show big enough to where that bit of trolling at the end would cause a huge uproar?

ETA: “Old McThanos.” So cute.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

6x01: Executed by State

Currently watching season 6. That Starbucks logo bit killed me. lmao

What a way to open the season. Nice.

The vegetarian bit is a bit iffy and just feels like an anti-vegan ad, but I like the joke that watching The Wire makes you feel special (I only finished season 3 recently).

The Roadrunner bit was good and the Coyote's plan was a nice clever spin on Roadrunners' usual fake tunnel schtick, but the erection joke felt rather random.

Pixar Lamp's a good one.

The Marvel acapella is pretty cool. Can't believe they got Stan Lee on the show.

And finally, after a series of hits-and-misses, the final part of the episode is easily one of my favorite, if not my all time favorite Robot Chicken bit:

Let's face it: Andy was a weird kid who didn't play with his toys the right way.

4/5 for the episode. Great stuff throughout.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 1

6x02: Crushed by a Steamroller on My 53rd Birthday

A few nice bits here:

Lonnie Peppers with Rosemary, Satan, Joseph, Mary, and God appearing on a Maury-ish show where Satan and Joseph are not the father. Can't believe they went there. lol

The G.I. Joe in Afghanistan bit was not bad, but the fart joke's kinda meh.

3/5

• Like 1