Type keyword(s) to search

Robot Chicken - General Discussion

• Start Topic

More about a past episode than media: is it weird that I read about the death of Alfie Curtis, find out he played Dr. Cornelius Evazan in Star Wars, and immediately think of the sketch from Robot Chicken where Evaan being an asshole led to Ponda Baba losing an arm? Hey, it was a funny sketch . . . I think it even got glued into an episode from the first season. I can't remember what it replaced, though.

• Love 1

*sigh* Doctor Who joke for the total loss. Come on, guys. On the bright side, Seth, Matt & Co. know where the sweetest spots are . . . one of 'em being putting the Scooby gang in more fucked-up bits. They started on this show with Camp Crystal Lake and Jason Voorhes, with Don Knotts and Phyllis Diller as guest stars. So watching Velma and Daphne try to improve and Fred have a snit fit? Funny stuff . ..  especially with Fred bitching about how "the dog" got a letter.

ETA: They're also pretty good with creating new franchises, then messing them up. Eagle Force, Cheese League, now the Road Hawgs. Oops, one of them got turned into bacon by the least-mutated Hawg. Never mind.

Edited by Lantern7

I think this episode was an improvement. Some choice deep cuts, ending with friggin' Jabberjaw. Yes, he was a drummer for a pop group. Because Hanna Barbera in the Seventies, that's why. So having him swap places with "Bruce" from Jaws? Fun idea. Didn't "get" Daniel Tiger, but the wish-fulfillment mash-up was good. And I understand if a lot of people suffer from Nerd and/or Bitch Pudding fatigue. In the Nerd's defense, finding out that Nick Arcade would have it's grand prize stage for a green screen is a good idea. Would not have thought to end that with a suicidal monkey coated in green paint.

I wouldn't subject you guys to the original Jabberjaw. No, I offer this clip from Boomerang, back when they were airing old-school stuff, and they were remixing HB properties into entertaining shorts.

Enough . . . with . . . The Nerd. Actually, he did hype the coming of a seventh Star Wars movie, so why not insert him into The Force Awakens? And throw shade on Kylo Ren? And get horrified by the way Han Solo went out?

And shit, I can't remember anything else. It's like last week, when I totally forgot about the Smash Bros/Hunger Games mashup. And the live Cats revival. It's not that the bits from tonight sucked. I remember getting a kick out of some of that. But the final sketch is jammed deep into my brain, and I can't recall the other stuff.

ETA: Just remembered the Stone Protectors bit. And, holy shit, that was actually a cartoon, as opposed to something Seth and/or Matt made up.

Edited by Lantern7

No Nerd!! ‘‘Tis a miracle!! Actually, I thought most of the skits were great. I mean, Frank Castle isn’t really villain, but they got in both live-action versions of Kingpin. And Quail Man. And friggin’ Manimal! And we end with Pokémon breeding, with props. Not bad . . . personally, when it comes to poking fun of the old cartoon, I like Pokémon: The ‘Bridged Series.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2018 at 1:18 AM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Just remembered the Stone Protectors bit. And, holy shit, that was actually a cartoon, as opposed to something Seth and/or Matt made up.

Seth had the Stone Protectors featured in an earlier episode; they were the band at a wedding and, once again, they couldn't stop singing about their power stones.

Yes, I even remember the commercial advertising the toys.   Boy, that Wiki page; they had everything:  toys, cartoon, comic book, video game

and then the little boys said "Who wants stupid troll dolls with weapons??"

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1

Anybody catch last week’s episode? The Chipmunks play Cochella,  finish an episode, and have lots of unprotected sex. What else . . . the fates of Harriet the Spy and Plank from Ed, Edd & Eddy, and Henry Kissinger kills Pikachu. Also: the seldom-attempted Star Wars/Braveheart mashup.

• Love 1

Once again, checking to see who watched last week. They ended with "James Bond doing The Bachelor," which was okay. Cheerios honeybee accidentally stinging and kid and losing its life? That's nightmare fuel right there.

For anybody catching Last Week Tonight this evening . . . it goes from 11:02-11:32, so there will be a tiny bit of overlap.

ETA: The Sword in the Stone . . . nice deep dive for material. And we end with how Rose and Jack really left things in Titanic. Nicely done.

ETA2: Here's a Joker makeup tutorial. Bad news: it's the Jared Leto version. Sorry.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I don't see new episodes scheduled, so this might be it for a while. Even with the episode ending on an Olsen Twins sketch (huh?), this was a good sendoff. I think the guys have upped their game. And sometimes, there's the brief moment of satisfaction where you figure out a quick sketch's premise when the next one begins. To wit: "Oh! DUMPSTER DIVING!!!" Oh and it's nice to know that the bad guys from Beast Wars (they're not Decepticons, right?) fall for pandas like the rest of us.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
On 2/26/2018 at 1:45 AM, Lantern7 said:

I don't see new episodes scheduled, so this might be it for a while. Even with the episode ending on an Olsen Twins sketch (huh?), this was a good sendoff. I think the guys have upped their game. And sometimes, there's the brief moment of satisfaction where you figure out a quick sketch's premise when the next one begins. To wit: "Oh! DUMPSTER DIVING!!!" Oh and it's nice to know that the bad guys from Beast Wars (they're not Decepticons, right?) fall for pandas like the rest of us.

The dumpster diving bit was great.

I must confess, I didn't get the first skit with the sheep. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Supergirl sketch was so wrong. I think it has to do with Melissa Benoist's portrayal, where you don't want to imagine her using a vibrator. Of course, since this is Robot Chicken, she gets tricked into using a Kryptonite marital aid, and that kills us  her.

End sketch . . . is "Date My Mom" a thing? Was a thing? Maybe on MTV? Of course the hornball would pick Jessica Rabbit's girl, and of course that daughter looked beyond fucked up.

Crap, I can't think of much else. BTW, did Archie and Ms. Grundy get frisky on Riverdale? And did she get the Aunt May treatment, going from crone to Sally Field to Marisa Tomei? Still a bit squicky thought.

ETA: Dexter applying for college!! I thought the voices were pretty accurate, though Dex looked more early Stewie Griffith here. And of course Dee Dee would be swimming in extracurricular stuff.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I decided to check it out and that was just sad.  I recently saw a few early season episodes and they still hold up.  Now it just seems like they ran out of ideas.  Actually there were some decent ideas in th episode but they seem to be unable to actually make them funny.  

(edited)

No one else watched last week? First Dragon Ball Z skit since Christmas ‘05, Bitch Pudding crossed with The Sound Of Music (hey, not like she gets served up like Nerd), and decent sketches based off Watchmen and X-Men: Apocalypse.

ETA: Totally forgot about “North Pole High.” This week: First Richie Rich sketch since the Cribs spoof, we get another Terminator bit (who does the voice?), and the horror that is Sailor Earth. Oh, and Ash Ketchum beats a Blastoise using Glinda the Good Witch. And Pikachu dies.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
On 6/3/2018 at 10:10 PM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Totally forgot about “North Pole High.”

I thought "North Pole High" was hilarious, especially as Santa kept getting fatter with each scene.

• Love 1
(edited)

Listing for tonight's episode:

The Robot Chicken crew witness the straw that breaks Captain Planet's back; a Spider-Man secret is revealed thanks to J. Jonah Jameson; The Nerd realizes his problems are Legion.

I'm thinking we're looking at the FX series. If the Nerd wears a wig like the comic version of David Haller, it will be a success.

ETA: “Nerd sticking his dick in a vacuum cleaner.” Of course. It was a pretty decent sketch, though. You’d need an hour to cover the insanity of the first season. I don’t even know what the fuck goes on nowadays.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Great episode. Silent, traumatizing Monsters, Inc. sketch, adult Susie trying to get lover Calvin to pee on her, superb Parker Bros bit (the “oh, Jesus H. Christ” moment, following by the Parker Brother whipping out Sorry!, was golden), and a failing businessman inadvertently kills the Scooby Gang. Also, I think the show abridged Gravity. It was the movie mixed with a leaping  cow, right?

ETA: Oh, and here's Helga from Hey, Arnold! Happy nightmares!!!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Another good episode. Two Indiana Jones bits, the exploration of the aftermath of Disney’s Robin Hood, the rise of DoubleDaredevil (I didn’t get it until near the end), and a half-ass hybrid of Hamilton and “The Three Little Pigs.”

• Love 1

When I saw the "Hammilton" skit, it just reminded me of Green Jelly and that silly heavy metal comedy song.

Did you know that Pauly Shore voiced one of the little pigs???

Between Vanilla Ice, that song, and the Macarena. I think we were willing to listen to "anything" back in the early 1990's.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally got an obligatory MOTU sketch, only with Grizzlor in place of Beast Man. I like to think the latter had enough of Skeletor’s schemes for one lifetime.

I think the highlight from last night was the dad playing Bob Dylan in the car, and the girls in the back seat bailing out in increasingly hysterical ways.

ETA: “Speak of the devil” was also clever, as was Mr. Sinister getting made over.

Edited by Lantern7

Last night was the season finale. In lieu of “Adult Swim cancels Robot Chicken,” we get “Nerd saves the show by jumping Springfield Gorge the Grand Canyon, but kills himself in the process.” And Doug Goldstein shows up at the end to be an asshole, which is oddly entertaining in itself.

I miss the days where you could get clips online . . . because I really want to share “Willie Wonka deals with the president doing the Veruca Salt song.” So funny, yet so fucking depressing.

Is anyone watching?

I went to the Robot Chicken panel today at New York Comic Con. As always, lots of fun. They ended with two hilarious sketches:

1. Spoiler
    1. The world after Thanos snapped his fingers. HIghlights: A woman vanishes when she tries to talk her son off a ledge, a guy getting a colonoscopy blows up when his doctor vanishes, and the middle guy in a Human Centipede vanishes, and the other two guys crawl away.
    2. Basically, "What if Bill & Ted met Pol Pot?" They get killed, and another pair arrives. This is a sketch far funnier than it had any right to be. Just a pile of time-traveling phone booths and dead Bills and Teds.

Anyone else watch the latest special? Basically, it's "Murder On The Orient Express," with a really peppy Jesus as the inspector, and Santa as the murder victim. But it turns out Santa was in the caboose the whole time, and the real victim was Tim Allen dressed as Santa. Cheap, but the episode was funny. And Jason Alexander returns as Krampus!

(edited)

Shot in the dark . . . did anyone else see the new episode that aired this past April Fool’s Day? Apparently, we’ll be getting new episodes in the summer.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

New episodes are on their way. Here’s a clip:

I am surprised you didn't mention that the YouTube video description it says: 

Robot Chicken returns to Adult Swim on June 28th at midnight.

• Love 2

Fun pair of episodes. The idea of Garfield getting killed and Jon burying him in the Pet Sematary seems so obvious in retrospect, yet I only hate myself for not thinking of it. Jonas Brothers sketch took me back to "The Ring," an episode of South Park from 2009. I blame the mention of  promise rings.

• Love 1
(edited)

Caught the latest episode on DVR. I think impact was lost because a lot of the bits were up on social media. The Super Glue sketch was funny, especially when the show pitted it against a Teflon pan and admitted the result was garbage.

I don’t remember Inside-Out Boy. Too old a reference for me?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I’m just imagining how many people will complain about The Adventures of Pete and Pete getting turned into surreal nightmare fuel. I know, everything is fair game, but that was weird.

Good pair of episodes . . . Cold Slither on The Voice, Venom getting too into Hamilton (hey, just in time for Disney+!), Pink Panther taking the mantle of Black Panther, and the horrific fairy (faerie) genocide we accidentally started.

• Love 1

In case you didn’t know, one of tonight’s episode is the one that aired on April Fools Day. In case you missed it, here’s some of what can expect:

Spoiler

Batman and his nipples, Hank Pam and his vaudeville giant ant act, lots of Dad Jokes, and ?Bitch Pudding landing on Love Island and meeting her match in Richard “Dick” Gravy.

• Love 1

With the 200th episode airing on Sunday, Adult Swim is going all-out with a marathon. New episodes are in bold:

09:00 PM Robot Chicken Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II TV-14 LV

09:30 PM Robot Chicken Secret of the Flushed Footlong TV-14 DLSV

09:45 PM Robot Chicken Junk in the Trunk TV-14 DV

10:00 PM Robot Chicken Robot Chicken: DC Comics Special II: Villains in Paradise TV-14 DLSV

10:30 PM Robot Chicken 1987 TV-MA

10:45 PM Robot Chicken Tapping a Hero TV-MA

11:00 PM Robot Chicken The Robot Chicken Walking Dead Special: Look Who's Walking TV-MA LV

11:30 PM Robot Chicken Fight Club Paradise TV-MA

11:45 PM Robot Chicken Hurtled from a Helicopter into a Speeding Train TV-MA

12:00 AM Robot Chicken Babe Hollytree in: I Wish One Person Had Died TV-MA

12:15 AM Robot Chicken Endgame TV-14 DLSV

12:30 AM Robot Chicken Chipotle Miserables TV-MA DLSV

12:45 AM Robot Chicken Why Is It Wet? TV-14 DLSV

01:00 AM Robot Chicken The Robot Chicken Bitch Pudding Special TV-MA L

01:15 AM Robot Chicken Panthropologie TV-MA L

01:30 AM Robot Chicken G.I. Jogurt TV-MA L

01:45 AM Robot Chicken What Can You Tell Me About Butt Rashes? TV-MA L

02:00 AM Robot Chicken Freshly Baked: The Robot Chicken Santa Claus Pot Cookie Freakout Special: Special Edition TV-MA

02:15 AM Robot Chicken Book of Corinne TV-MA

02:30 AM Robot Chicken Ginger Hill in: Bursting Pipes TV-MA L

02:45 AM Robot Chicken Hermie Nursery in: Seafood Sensation TV-MA L

03:00 AM Robot Chicken Zero Vegetables TV-MA

03:15 AM Robot Chicken Sundancer Craig in: 30% of the Way to Crying TV-MA

03:30 AM Robot Chicken Babe Hollytree in: I Wish One Person Had Died TV-MA

03:45 AMRobot Chicken Endgame TV-14 DLSV

04:00 AMRobot Chicken Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode IIITV-14 DLSV

. . . and here's the Nerd having "Bandersnatch" explained to him by Deadpool:

• Love 1

Is this the end? These episodes were actually the tail end of the last season, held back for like a year. Usually the season finale has something with Seth Green and the other producers. The Scientist said these were his results. So I'm thinking the show is done even if nothing was ever announced.

• Love 1