Type keyword(s) to search

You Know Orphan Black is Taking Over Your Life When...

...when even my boyfriend, whom I pushed to binge watch S1 with me just before S2 premiered so now he's a fan, will faux-slap my hand and say "no!" when I try to poke him or get his attention the way a la Alison that night she and Donnie were in bed in S1 and Donnie tried to get frisky with her.

I've also caught myself adding "yeah?" at the end of certain sentences like Sarah does.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've also caught myself adding "yeah?" at the end of certain sentences like Sarah does.

Yes! Me too!

...you and your sister start referring to each other as either sestra or meathead exclusively.

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 2
(edited)

And, do you have a Craft Room ?

No, but we do have a drawer with scissors, tissue paper and a glue gun.

Edited by beedub

Forgot to mention that my boyfriend and I will now hold up our index finger and lower it at the same time as we make a "psssssss" sound to refer to anyone who annoys us (usually at work) to the point where we would not mind using pepper spray on that person to get them to go away, stop talking, etc. We've taken to doing this after Alison sprayed Vic with pepper spray in the parking lot last season and when Daniel and his goons attempted to abduct her this season.

We also saw a rerun of the Hollywood Game Night tv show and one of the games is you have to get your teammates to guess the song you're singing but you can only say the word "do" as you sing it. So of course The Archies' Sugar Sugar is one of the songs and of course we both start singing along and bopping along in our seats, doing our best Helena impressions.

We both may need some help. lol

I changed my cable package so I can get BBC America because apparently this Saturday's episode needs to be watched live.  Guys, I'm a-scared!

@Grammaeryn, did you choose that picture of your cat for your icon because the look on his/her face perfectly expresses how you feel about the finale? :D
(edited)

The finale is June 21 so no. I hope whatever shit hits the fan tomorrow will get vaguely better by then! That is my tortoiseshell Stella. :-)

Oops. I meant tonight's. Anyway, she looks worried about our clones' fates. So maybe: You know Orphan Black is taking over your life when your pets get anxious before a new episode?

Although I'm guess it's just the way her markings make her look.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Not only have I changed my wallpaper to an Orphan Black cast photo but I'm also saying "yeah?" after way too many sentences, I can't stop singing "Sugar Sugar" and I keep calling people "seestra" even though I only have brothers. Since they think I'm crazy already they just ignore me but I do call my cats "seestra-cat" and they respond happily.

I also count down the hours till the next episode- less than 3.5 hours from now I'll be hanging my Do Not Disturb sign.

• Love 3

...when you walk down a hallway at work where discarded tech is stored before being recycled, and, as you read the signs designating where to put which equipment, "Printers, Media (DVRs, Video, etc,), Cables, Monitors..." you double back, re-read "Monitors," and then try to exit the building without anyone noticing the foolish grin on your face.

...you and your sister start referring to each other as either sestra or meathead exclusively.

Similarly...

When your friend texts you: "Sestra we have a connection." and then you keep  texting back and forth using

sestra all the time.

When you go to the dentist and the heavily-accented hygienist introduces herself as Oksana and you remember you had a friend once named Oksana and she was Ukrainian so you ask the hygienist if she's Ukrainian and she says Yes! and you have a sudden and overwhelming (but childish) impulse to call her "sestra" but you don't because she has you pinned in a chair in the reclining position and she's Ukrainian and she's holding... instruments.

True story!

• Love 6

When you start dressing like one of the clones. I've been channelling Beth and/or Sarah lately. And really wishing I knew where to find Cosima's tie dyed dress from the tour of the lab earlier this season.

For me, I guess it's when you watch the entire first season in two days, and then immediately set about getting your hands on season 2, and plan to watch that over the next two days.

Or maybe, as I'm drifting off to sleep and my mind wanders, idly imagining Helena coming to kill me, then realising she never would because I don't look like her. And then even more idly imagining myself in a crazy, blonde, Shakira wig, and feeling a bit weird about it.

• Love 1

And then even more idly imagining myself in a crazy, blonde, Shakira wig, and feeling a bit weird about it.

It's not so bad, although mine does fly off when I dance.

• Love 1

...in my mind and soul, the sisters really are different people. Even though I know it's because of the brilliance of Tatiana Maslany. But tell that to my heart.

...whenever I see identical twins, I wonder if they're really clones.

...in my mind and soul, the sisters really are different people. Even though I know it's because of the brilliance of Tatiana Maslany. But tell that to my heart.

Honestly, I was watching an episode the other day that didn't have Alison in it, and my first thought was, 'huh, they probably couldn't get the actress for this one', before realising that... they could get the actress. She's there all the bloody time.

I'm always a little surprised when I see Rachel and realise she's also played by Tatiana Maslany.

• Love 5
(edited)

Honestly, I was watching an episode the other day that didn't have Alison in it, and my first thought was, 'huh, they probably couldn't get the actress for this one', before realising that... they could get the actress. She's there all the bloody time.

I'm always a little surprised when I see Rachel and realise she's also played by Tatiana Maslany.

That's not that bad, I was watching an interview with Tatiana Maslany during season 1 and she was talking about working with the Donnie actor and I was like, when did she work with him? Then I remembered that she plays Alison. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
I was like, when did she work with him? Then I remembered that she plays Alison.

I caught myself thinking "Well, too bad Tatiana didn't get lead actress-- but she should've been nominated in Supporting for Alison, right?" And then I felt ...pretty stupid.

you suddenly realize that in growing your hair out, you have a Rachel.  And not a Jennifer Aniston cut! (In fairness, it is really more when the hairdresser styles it, because I can't get it to lay smooth ever, but it does look a lot like her style.  Not on purpose!)

...your sister is having knee surgery and will be laid up for a while--so you tell her she has to start watching Orphan Black, and threaten not to send a birthday present if she doesn't do it.

. . . you not only inhaled the first two seasons within one week, but also ordered the Season 1 DVD from Amazon and had it shipped to her house before even telling her about the show.

. . . your sister and brother-in-law then inhaled the series themselves, and your sister wound up ordering the DVD on Amazon and having it shipped to one of her friends ("paying it forward").

. . . you and your sister refer to each other as "Sestra" in full Helena voice and your sister gives you the t-shirt for your birthday.

. . . you find yourself wearing a LOT more plaid flannel shirts, and not only ending your sentences with "Yeah?" but also yelling "Oi, oi!" to get your students' attention.

. . . you seriously try and figure out how to dress up as all four main clones for Halloween, even though you know that only two people at your job will even recognize what you're doing.

and finally,

. . . you can't meet someone named Paul without internally giggling and wondering . . . well, you know.

• Love 2

. . . you and your sister refer to each other as "Sestra" in full Helena voice and your sister gives you the t-shirt for your birthday.

My sister and I do the exact same thing! I bought us both the "Sestra" shirts when I saw them in Hot Topic, and we both wore them on premiere night! We also refer to each other as "Sestra" in terrible Helena voices pretty frequently...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

. . .

. . . you and your sister refer to each other as "Sestra" in full Helena voice and your sister gives you the t-shirt for your birthday....

. . . you can't meet someone named Paul without internally giggling and wondering . . . well, you know.

You know OB has taken over your life when...

reading this post fills you with envy because your sister would never in a million years watch the show and become a "sestra."

• Love 1

Same here, shapeshifter, re: my sister; OB is nowhere near the usual tv shows that she watches.

You know OB has taken over your life when...

You ALWAYS visit a Hot Topic when you're in a mall in hopes of buying OB merch. I did so two weeks ago and was able to score a Dyad coffee mug (and I don't even drink coffee) and four of the six clone Pop Vinyl figures: Rachel with pencil in her eye, Alison, Cosima and Sarah. I was told that the other two figures were not available yet but would be "soon."

• Love 1

I definitely want a Dyad coffee mug!

You know Orphan Black is taking over your life when . . .

You refer to your cats (three females from the same litter) as "the sestras". Or, since they all have enthusiastic appetites, the "three Helenas".

• Love 2

A followup on my post just above this one:

You know OB is taking over your life when...

As soon as you realize you must visit a mall next week to look for a birthday gift for someone, you immediately make a note to also stop by the Hot Topic there to search for the two missing Pop Vinyl figures you're missing and to also browse for any other OB merch they may have.

...your wife comes home and tells you she looked for an OB T-shirt for you but all they had left was I♥︎Cosima, so she didn't bother. And you almost wish she had.

This might not be a sign that OB is taking over my life, but it's somewhat adjacent in that I was listening to a story on NPR about people who implant devices into their bodies to enhance their senses or give them abilities they would not otherwise have, and some of them consider themselves no longer "just human" but now "human-cyborg hybrids"-- it reminded me of the Neolutionists and perhaps Rachel's artificial eye. The whole time I'm listening to this story, I'm thinking about OB.

Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/03/10/468556420/body-hacking-movement-rises-ahead-of-moral-answers

It's not all creepy and weird, and if I hadn't seen OB, I probably would not have reacted to it the way I did.

Edited by possibilities