Type keyword(s) to search

Yolanda Hadid: My Love, My Lemons, My Lyme Disease.

• Start Topic

Here are two interesting documentaries about the early days of the Aids crisis 

We Were Here. the early days of the crisis told by 5 people who survived it.

And How to Survive a Plague. This film is about Aids activist fighting for proper treatment.

Yo compares Lyme to Aids because it fits perfectly into her victim narrative.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Lura said:

Who or what or how is Occam?  Did I stop for a nap when that info was posted?  I come on here with all good intentions of writing something halfway interesting, and I wake up an hour later.  It can't be the fault of the delightful company that surrounds me here, so it must be the pain pills. 

BTW, I went to QVC to take a gander at what Yo was selling, and her name didn't even come up in search.  I thought she was already hawking her brand of whatnot, but I'm wondering whether she hasn't been on air yet.  Anybody know?  I did notice Rinna's smiling face in a picture there, so I guess she's an official spokesman for something.  I wasn't interested enough to check out her wares.  Man, with her speech pattern of 500 words a minute, she must sell like nobody's business

Yolanda has never sold anything on QVC (or on any home shopping channel), it is Rinna who has a clothing line on QVC. Both Kyle (clothing) and Bethenny (mixer/blender) were once on QVC but no longer are. HSN has Paul Nassif (skincare) Nene (clothing line) and EVINE has LisaV (jewelry/pet products/home goods) Luann (clothing/jewelry) and the Dubrow's (skincare).

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I like the last line, When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras. It applies to Yolanda and her google search self diagnosis.

I don't really get rankled over handicap parking tags because it doesn't matter to me and who am I to be the tag police but I got rankled over seeing Yolanda with one. She is all about the perks. I wish someone on twitter would ask her about it. Ugh, please don't be on the show next season. She sucks all the fun out of watching a fluffy show. 

Four three two one...

Yes she does.  Rinna did, too and that was directly related to Yo's batshittery.   Yo hijacked every plot line.  No cure insight for her as she continues her crusade on twitter.   I feel certain she will be asked back because her connection to Gigi and Mohammed is not something they are going to let go.  sigh

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
On May 19, 2016 at 0:24 PM, zoeysmom said:

Where Yolanda fails me is she keeps thinking that those who don't buy her theory of Lyme Disease and all the other combinations she has with the word Lyme in them, are somehow ignorant or unsympathetic.  It just isn't the case.  Just because a person doesn't sign up for your theory does not make them a bad person.  If you applied Yolanda's statements to religion or politics there would be no doubt that her platform would be vilified.  What I hear from Yolanda is if you are my friend you must not only support me but you must conform your thinking to mine.  If not, no friendship.

Honestly, that attitude of "you must agree with me or else you're a bad person" is what I've found in everyone who has "chronic Lyme disease." I responded on a People magazine article to someone who said that she didn't understand the hate Yolanda gets, she hasn't done anything to offend anyone. I said I was offended by her comparison to the AIDS crisis of the early 80s. I received a response from someone, who identified herself as having "chronic Lyme disease", telling me she felt sorry for the sick people in my life because I obviously treat them like shit. I said I'd be sure to tell my mom, who has Alzheimer's, that as I have her her bath that night. The only response I got was that my mom probably didn't have Alzheimer's because a lot of those symptoms can actually be Lyme.

• Love 17
14 hours ago, Jules2307 said:

Honestly, that attitude of "you must agree with me or else you're a bad person" is what I've found in everyone who has "chronic Lyme disease." I responded on a People magazine article to someone who said that she didn't understand the hate Yolanda gets, she hasn't done anything to offend anyone. I said I was offended by her comparison to the AIDS crisis of the early 80s. I received a response from someone, who identified herself as having "chronic Lyme disease", telling me she felt sorry for the sick people in my life because I obviously treat them like shit. I said I'd be sure to tell my mom, who has Alzheimer's, that as I have her her bath that night. The only response I got was that my mom probably didn't have Alzheimer's because a lot of those symptoms can actually be Lyme.

To me the word "hate" is being misused as a sympathy ploy.  The words should be "not believable" , not buying her story.  It doesn't even mean people aren't sympathetic, it just means they don't subscribe to Yolanda and her merry band of Lyme friendly doctors.  I have zero sympathy for Ally Hilfiger, Yolanda's latest partner in crime, spinning tales of 17 years of untreated/unsuccessfully treated Lyme disease to excuse away bad behavior, poor life choices and spurious statements.  From what I have read she has spent most of her life vying for attention, something that is not really a symptom of Lyme Disease.  Being spoiled or having feelings of being unsuccessful are really not chronic illness symptoms.  Maybe mental illness symptoms.

Just once I wish some RH would have the courage to say to Yolanda, when she makes a claim, mashes up someone's statement that it is futile to have a discussion with her as there is a broken record built in excuse that it is her Lyme brain, or they are not sympathetic to her.  Why bother having discussions with someone who takes no responsibility for their words?  Worse she takes the others' in conversation and twists them.  Might as well be talking to your dog.  perhaps if Yolanda stuck around long enough to be part of a discussion where she was not the focus, she might develop some people skills.  I honestly only saw her once veer from Yolanda and Lyme disease and that was when she was talking with the Girardis or speaking with the others about Erika and her Erika Jayne career.  Otherwise it was all Yolanda all the time.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Jules2307 said:

Yolanda has done plenty to offend having nothing to do with Lyme. 

She was probably joking about your mother. Well maybe not!   Lyme is said to effect the brain and if it does this is it.  The logic center.

The left side is important for logic and rational thinking. The hemispheres of the cerebrum are divided into lobes, or broad regions of the brain. Each lobe is responsible for a variety of bodily functions: Frontal lobes are involved with personality, speech, and motor development.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, wings707 said:
21 hours ago, Jules2307 said:

Yolanda has done plenty to offend having nothing to do with Lyme. 

She was probably joking about your mother. Well maybe not!   Lyme is said to effect the brain and if it does this is it.  The logic center.

You're much kinder than I am. I just thought she was rude, attention seeking, narcissist. But I also tend to hate it when people try to out misery each other. Can't we just accept that all of these illnesses, be they physical or mental, suck? I think I've just discovered why I dislike Yolanda so much.

• Love 10
(edited)

There is usually a cure for Lyme.

However, as much as many on this forum like to deny it, antibiotics don't work for all cases of Lyme, especially those discovered quite a bit after they were infected.  I do have a problem with that attitude, because it's personally touching my life right now.  I'm watching someone with good, respected, actual doctors, not Yolanda's questionable one, struggle with many of the same symptoms Yolanda has/had.  She's about to start another course of antibiotics because her symptoms recurred and the most recent blood tests showed it's bounced right back.  After over a year of this?  She's still coping, still working on her PhD, but very tired of being sick, and trying not to be discouraged about ever feeling better again.

Is there a stigma?  Yes.  Her father's an MD, and until this happened to his daughter, he was like many others about Lyme.  Misinformed.  She was very glad to finally have a diagnosis, but completely bummed that it confirmed Lyme, the disease so many don't believe exists, or is so easy to "cure" with antibiotics.  Recurrent, chronic, resistant, whatever you want to call it, it is.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 5

@Umbelina, you are so right.  What is true today is tomorrow's junk science.  So sorry about your friend and my best wishes for her health.  That said,  I am not sure I trust Yo as a source of medical knowledge. Hopefully there will be advances and we  will get a reliable test for Lyme, for starters. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

There is usually a cure for Lyme.

However, as much as many on this forum like to deny it, antibiotics don't work for all cases of Lyme, especially those discovered quite a bit after they were infected.  I do have a problem with that attitude, because it's personally touching my life right now.  I'm watching someone with good, respected, actual doctors, not Yolanda's questionable one, struggle with many of the same symptoms Yolanda has/had.  She's about to start another course of antibiotics because her symptoms recurred and the most recent blood tests showed it's bounced right back.  After over a year of this?  She's still coping, still working on her PhD, but very tired of being sick, and trying not to be discouraged about ever feeling better again.

Is there a stigma?  Yes.  Her father's an MD, and until this happened to his daughter, he was like many others about Lyme.  Misinformed.  She was very glad to finally have a diagnosis, but completely bummed that it confirmed Lyme, the disease so many don't believe exists, or is so easy to "cure" with antibiotics.  Recurrent, chronic, resistant, whatever you want to call it, it is.

Sorry about your friend.  I have not run across anyone on this board who does not believe that Lyme exists. 

Yolanda and her batshittery is a topic unto itself and not directed at others who are dealing with this disease. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

They don't believe Lyme that isn't easily cured by antibiotics exist.

It does.

I can only speak for myself here.  I know antibiotics only work if you catch it early, if they are going to work.  That is in all the literature.  I have mastered the art of ignoring posts that bug me.  :^)  

A friend of mine was bitten by a tick (back in the 80's), he took it to the doctor.  It was a small deer tic so the doctor, gave him antibiotics that day, just in case.  He never knew if that particular bug had Lyme.  

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

It does.

I am sure that there are people out there that don't believe that it isn't always curable, even in the medical community, just as there are some out there that don't believe that AIDS is real or that cancer can't be cured with/by juicing. There will always be skeptics and charlatans no matter what the disease/illness, which is why it is so important that the correct information/facts get out.....not the BS Yolanda is pushing. All she is doing is mudding the water and making it harder for others to get a correct diagnosis be it LD or another Auto-Immune disease/Illness and then get the correct treatment.

• Love 8
(edited)

Thanks Yolanda and members here for all your tick/Lyme's discussions.  No doubt the awareness gleaned from this forum and Yolanda's TV exposure has brought us to this point...yesterday hubby and I visited our doctor for deer tick bites. Hubby pulled out two and I had one.  We were both infected already with dark red itchy spots with hard lumps underneath. The doctor told us we had to take two antibiotic capsules ( doxycycline hyclate, 100 mg) a day for 14-days. Our doc told us about his neighbor who had Lyme's and didn't take an antibiotic until a few weeks after the bite.  His neighbor had all sorts of horrible symptoms including a heart infection.  You can't fool around about this dreaded possible disease.  Hopefully neither of us have Lyme's and if we do the antibiotic will help us fight it before it has a chance to take a hold.  

We're scheduled to have our property sprayed with a non-toxic garlic mixture this Thursday. Next year we'll start monthly spraying at the beginning of May. Hopefully that will cut down the number of ticks.  Last year we sprayed every month (June to September) and were tick free. The deer population has increased due to hundreds of acres of woods being removed for a railroad terminal. 

Bought Elle magazine with Bella Hadid on the cover. Very nice article and photos about her.  She really shows her personality with funny faces in a few of the photos.  Both Gigi and Bella seem to be appreciated as nice people by those they work with.  Yolanda is a good mom despite her health problems and subsequent treatment trials and tribulations.  gallery-1462823177-elle-june-bella-hadid

http://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/news/a36242/bella-hadid-june-2016-cover-reveal/

Edited by talula
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, WireWrap said:

I am sure that there are people out there that don't believe that it isn't always curable, even in the medical community, just as there are some out there that don't believe that AIDS is real or that cancer can't be cured with/by juicing. There will always be skeptics and charlatans no matter what the disease/illness, which is why it is so important that the correct information/facts get out.....not the BS Yolanda is pushing. All she is doing is mudding the water and making it harder for others to get a correct diagnosis be it LD or another Auto-Immune disease/Illness and then get the correct treatment.

I don't think many are hanging on her words or following her treatment plan.  She is still sick so nothing thus far has worked.  Unless you watch this show, how many actually know about her?  The "foundation" that gave her an award was started by Mohammed and Foster.  I sense a tax advantage was their motivation. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I don't think many are hanging on her words or following her treatment plan.  She is still sick so nothing thus far has worked.  Unless you watch this show, how many actually know about her?  The "foundation" that gave her an award was started by Mohammed and Foster.  I sense a tax advantage was their motivation. 

She seems to have a growing LD following on SM and they hang on her every post. Sadly, there are those desperate enough to believe everything she is selling and/or they are offering her other quack treatments and she retweets them on her SM. Getting on the Oz show, and other gossip shows such as E, seems to have given her some sort of credibility outside those that watch the BH HW show. :(

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 4

http://www.allabouttrh.com/2016/05/24/yolanda-foster-honored-another-award-efforts-lyme-disease-plus-will-back-rhobh-season-7/

Yolanda honorary co-chair for Stand4Lyme, other celebrities were Chynna Phillips and Billy Baldwin .  There was a benefit concert  featuring KC and the Sunshine band.  The event wasn't really at Stanford and claims all proceeds go to Stanford Medical.   http://www.stand4lyme.org/Catalyst-4-the-Cure

Very curious how much of this is worded.  If it were truly a silicon valley/Stanford event they would have raised $5 million during the cocktail hour. Note their goal is to raise $5 million, not that they raised $5 million.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

She seems to have a growing LD following on SM and they hang on her every post. Sadly, there are those desperate enough to believe everything she is selling and/or they are offering her other quack treatments and she retweets them on her SM. Getting on the Oz show, and other gossip shows such as E, seems to have given her some sort of credibility outside those that watch the BH HW show. :(

Well that is on them and not Yolanda's fault.  Alternative health treatments abound!  Yolanda is giving her opinion and she is free to do that.  My problem with her has nothing to do with her self designated leader of Lyme cures. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

http://www.allabouttrh.com/2016/05/24/yolanda-foster-honored-another-award-efforts-lyme-disease-plus-will-back-rhobh-season-7/

Yolanda honorary co-chair for Stand4Lyme, other celebrities were Chynna Phillips and Billy Baldwin .  There was a benefit concert  featuring KC and the Sunshine band.  The event wasn't really at Stanford and claims all proceeds go to Stanford Medical.   http://www.stand4lyme.org/Catalyst-4-the-Cure

Very curious how much of this is worded.  If it were truly a silicon valley/Stanford event they would have raised $5 million during the cocktail hour. Note their goal is to raise $5 million, not that they raised $5 million.

Here is the Stanford LD research team......... https://med.stanford.edu/psychiatry/special-initiatives/lyme.html

It looks like a respected, legit, group!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Umbelina said:

It does.

I am not sure 'they' are but I don't believe that everyone who contracts Lyme Disease is easily cured by antibiotics. 

I do not believe Yolanda and her children have "chronic Lyme", but there is a post treatment Lyme disease that causes problems with people including cardiac, muscle and joint symptoms.  The spin that bothers me is when the 300,000 people who are estimated to contract Lyme Disease a year are thrown into this "chronic Lyme Disease" equation.   The numbers aren't there and people such as Yolanda, who in the name of awareness and touting she is all about finding an  affordable cure-which Lyme Disease is she talking about?  If one were to follow Yolanda, contract Lyme Disease, is she not perhaps unnecessarily alarming these newly infected people there is no cure?  That is what it sounds like to me.  Yolanda is the conductor of the misinformation train.

For me, there needs to be a control group of people with similar symptoms Yolanda claims to suffer from to try and find a effective treatment for the Post-Treatment Lyme Disease.  Yes, there are illnesses that leave damage in their wake after contracting them.  That damage may not be 100% correctable or may take some time for a person to feel their normal.  Yolanda seems to have a fairly impossible standard of normal.  I believe there is a big difference between a 45 year old woman's physical capabilities and a 55 year old woman's physical capabilities.  Add years of down time and I don't think you get back to the 45 year old standard.  It is not about a cure it is about acceptance of how the human body changes with age.

Yolanda did all the things surgically possible to give the appearance of physical perfection, boob jobs, tummy tuck, years of Botox.  When she elected to discontinue or reverse some of these body perfecting treatments and surgeries, she is angry that the rest of the world doesn't do the same.  It is almost like she wants the playing field leveled.  Procedures she benefitted from to enhance her physical beauty should now be off limits to everyone.  That is what I get from Yolanda.   

2 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Here is the Stanford LD research team......... https://med.stanford.edu/psychiatry/special-initiatives/lyme.html

It looks like a respected, legit, group!

Stanford's medical team and the group Yolanda headed are two very different animals.  Granted there are Stanford doctors trying to raise money and supporting Stand 4 Lyme for further research but Stanford University is not using Yolanda as a spokesperson.  Big difference.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Satchels of gold said:

And How to Survive a Plague. This film is about Aids activist fighting for proper treatment.

Yo is a fucking asshole with no credibility - Ugh, she make me really angry with all her bullshit.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Satchels of gold said:

Yo is a fucking asshole with no credibility - Ugh, she make me really angry with all her bullshit.

• Love 8

If you look closely at the reflection in the window to the left of Yo in that pic of her with her Lyme award, it looks like it's Daisy, the escort/health advocate, taking the shot. I don't know why, but that cracked me up.

That is a beautiful picture of Bella on Elle and I think her boyfriend is very cute (and he seems very talented), but his hair style is ridiculous.

• Love 6
(edited)

Mumps can lead to permanent infertility (rare but can happen) even after all of the virus has been killed.

Neurocystercosis, a parasite infection, is the leading cause of epilepsy worldwide, even after all of the parasite is dead. There is no cure for the resultant epilepsy and just treatment with anti epileptic medications to help prevent seizures.

Lyme disease may lead to lasting damage even after all the bacteria is dead. Often the damage heals with time but maybe not always. Maybe if the quacks and quack treatments stopped clouding the picture, it would be easier to find and recruit patients for studies on Post Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome.

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 11
(edited)

Michael J Fox started a foundation for Parkinson's research. He leads an active life within his health parameters. 

Stephen Hawking supports, Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, AIDS & HIV, ALS, Children, Disaster Relief, Homelessness, Human Rights, Poverty.

He also lives a full life against tremendous odds

Neither are on SM chronicling their "suffering."  No selfies, no demands for others to support them, no whining. 

They both contribute to finding a cure with donations.  Michael often appears at fund raisers. THIS IS THE WAY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  

Making note of these men is the best way I can illustrate my revulsion at Yolanda's selfish and ugly display.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Michael J Fox started a foundation for Parkinson's research. He leads an active life within his health parameters. 

Stephen Hawking supports, Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, AIDS & HIV, ALS, Children, Disaster Relief, Homelessness, Human Rights, Poverty.

He also lives a full life against tremendous odds

Neither are on SM chronicling their "suffering."  No selfies, no demands for others to support them, no whining. 

They both contribute to finding a cure with donations.  Michael often appears at fund raisers. THIS IS THE WAY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  

Making note of these men is the best way I can illustrate my revulsion at Yolanda's selfish and ugly display.  

To be fair, can either take a selfie?

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I guess they don't have  health care workers/ex prostitutes take theirs like Yolanda does, LOL

Hawking very well may.  He has had a couple of wives and health care workers at his disposal!  Not joking. 

• Love 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Hawking very well may.  He has had a couple of wives and health care workers at his disposal!  Not joking. 

Hawking needs home health care workers and pays for them with money he earned (not by leaching off a spouse). He is one of my heroes!

I loved Michael J Fox's character on The Good Wife. Hmm, maybe I should add him to my hero list;-) I really admire him. A colleague of mine met him at a work event and said he was lovely.

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Hawking needs home health care workers and pays for them with money he earned (not by leaching off a spouse). He is one of my heroes!

Yes and at least one was a lover first then he married her.  He has had no problem getting women as odd as that may sound.  

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I hope the judge agrees.

These people.  First she asks for support, he responds asking not to pay.  Then they make all these statements how they are in agreement and love and respect each other.  If they are so fucking happy, why are they not still together?  Barf, barf, the Hadid/Foster happy family machine.

I was kind of hoping Yolanda would quit RHOBH citing health issues and try and grift off David.

Now I need to sound off on young Anwar, the burgeoning asshole.  He was not raised by a single mother.  He was raised by a parents who were divorced and Mommy Dumbest got $40,000.00 a month and millions of dollars in cash and property to provide for her brood.  He spent a significant amount of time with multi-millionaire daddy and a nanny that travelled back and forth with the brood.  Please don't dumb it down like Mommy Dumbest was working multiple jobs to keep food on the table. After six years Mommy Dumbest hooked up and made your household a duo parent household with another multi-millionaire.  How sad is it this young man now wants to be a fashion designer?  On his way to the same school Bella attended for one semester.  When will the fashion world be tired of the Hadid family?  None too soon for me.  Anwar and his Lyme brain need to look at other educational options.  If he has one it is wasted on fashion.   Can't the world just write a check for these fame hos to disappear?  Or maybe one of them get a university education?  Lead by example not by opportunity.

• Love 16

It sounds like a civilized divorce.  Just because you no longer want to be married to someone doesn't mean you must then hate or fight with them.  I know several former couples who not only got through divorce without contention, remain friends.  Love doesn't have to turn into hate just because the marriage doesn't work out.  It frequently does, but not always.

As far as Lyme, I think one thing Yolanda is saying will eventually be proven true.  More research is needed, and antibiotics, especially when not given and taken soon after being bitten/sucked on, is not always an easy cure.  It exists.  I don't care if they eventually do call it "chronic Lyme" or stick with "recurrent Lyme" or "Unresponsive to AB Lyme" it's all the same thing.

I also agree with the CDC that Lyme is much more prevalent than previously thought, and occurring in areas, such as the West Coast where it was previously thought to be rare.  Doctors, at some point, need to stop poo-pooing the idea of that, or saying, as was said to me, "Lyme is no big deal, so no, I won't do the test, here's 5 days of antibiotics if you are so worried about it."  (eye roll)  From comments here it seems that East Coast MD's are more aware of the problem of Lyme, hopefully that will soon be the norm everywhere.

• Love 3

For there have been 300,000 cases reported there has to have been test to confirm a patient has it.  I believe the debate comes in regarding a much smaller group of patients and how to treat Post Treatment Lyme Disease. 

I don't know of any doctor that would just randomly hand patients "five days worth of antibiotics" to assuage a patient.  I believe the story that is being repeated is the patient presents and without the telltale bulls eye rash they are diagnosed with other ailments.  There are a certain percentage of patients who do not respond or symptoms return and for these patients the controversy is whether prolonged antibiotics work.  We saw it was not the case with Yolanda. 

What Yolanda speaks of is this long lasting Post Treatment Lyme Disease.  There are many people studying it.  So far there has been this  http://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2014/new-test-shows-promise-in-identifying-new-drugs%20to-treat-lyme-disease.html  Human trials require people to volunteer that have the disease to see if this new drug is the cure.  Of course this is after animal trials.  Maybe the Hadids can be first in line to volunteer and in the process be cured.  What seems to be the problem is they can't find patients for studies. So there is plenty of research being conducted on both coasts.  It does not help when Lyme friendly doctors prescribe loads of supplements and recommend spa treatments disguised as medical treatments and then have their patients scream for conventional medicine to finance and find the cure.  .

• Love 11
(edited)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/19/predator-doctors-take-advantage-of-patients-with-chronic-lyme-scam.html

interesting article about the predatory doctors who treat Lyme.

from the article

“The problem is,” Dr. Hymes continued, “we now know much more about the disease and how to diagnose and treat it, and the activists around it haven’t caught up with that.”

According to Dr. Paul G. Auwaerter, clinical director of the Division of Infectious Diseases and the Sherrilyn and Ken Fisher Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, proponents of the chronic Lyme disease diagnosis have created an appearance of ersatz legitimacy for themselves despite the evidence being thin.

“Those who advocate as physicians for chronic Lyme disease have established a reasonable but poorly evidence-based paper trail in journals to support their point of view, offer CME [Continuing Medical Education] programs, and host national meetings,” wrote Dr. Auwaerter on behalf of the IDSA. “This lends the veneer of credibility.”

Edited by Satchels of gold
  • Love 10

Hello, has anyone heard of antibiotic resistance due to overuse of antibiotics (like using antibiotics for months for some quack diagnosis like chronic lyme disease even though there is no evidence to show it helps and in fact evidence to show harm in that it has potential side effects).

On a different note, people "use" words like prevalence and in case anyone has forgotten, here is a reminder on what is meant by the terms incidence and prevalence of a disease:

incidence: the occurrence, rate, or frequency of a disease

prevalence: is the proportion of a population found to have a condition (disease)

People lumping in "chronic lyme" and "post treatment lyme syndrome) skew the numbers of incidence and prevalence of "real" lyme disease.

from the internet (http://advancedrenaleducation.com/content/incidence-and-prevalence):

Incidence and prevalence are terms commonly used in describing disease epidemiology.

Incidence

Incidence is the rate of new (or newly diagnosed) cases of the disease. It is generally reported as the number of new cases occurring within a period of time (e.g., per month, per year). It is more meaningful when the incidence rate is reported as a fraction of the population at risk of developing the disease (e.g., per 100,000 or per million population). Obviously, the accuracy of incidence data depends upon the accuracy of diagnosis and reporting of the disease. In some cases (including ESRD) it may be more appropriate to report the rate of treatment of new cases since these are known, whereas the actual incidence of untreated cases is not.

Incidence rates can be further categorized according to different subsets of the population – e.g., by gender, by racial origin, by age group or by diagnostic category.

Prevalence

Prevalence is the actual number of cases alive, with the disease either during a period of time (period prevalence) or at a particular date in time (point prevalence). Period prevalence provides the better measure of the disease load since it includes all new cases and all deaths between two dates, whereas point prevalence only counts those alive on a particular date.

Prevalence is also most meaningfully reported as the number of cases as a fraction of the total population at risk and can be further categorized according to different subsets of the population.

Incidence to Prevalence

The relationship between incidence and prevalence depends greatly on the natural history of the disease state being reported. In the case of an influenza epidemic, the incidence may be high but not contribute to much growth of prevalence because of the high, spontaneous rate of disease resolution. In the case of a disease that has a low (or zero) cure rate, but where maintenance treatment permits sustained survival, then incidence contributes to continuous growth of prevalence. In such cases, the limitation on prevalence growth is the mortality which occurs in the population. Obviously, prevalence will continue to grow until mortality equals or exceeds the incidence rate.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Hello, has anyone heard of antibiotic resistance due to overuse of antibiotics (like using antibiotics for months for some quack diagnosis like chronic lyme disease even though there is no evidence to show it helps and in fact evidence to show harm in that it has potential side effects).

On a different note, people "use" words like prevalence and in case anyone has forgotten, here is a reminder on what is meant by the terms incidence and prevalence of a disease:

prevalence: is the proportion of a population found to have a condition (disease)

People lumping in "chronic lyme" and "post treatment lyme syndrome) skew the numbers of incidence and prevalence of "real" lyme disease.

from the internet (http://advancedrenaleducation.com/content/incidence-and-prevalence):

Incidence and prevalence are terms commonly used in describing disease epidemiology.

Incidence

Incidence is the rate of new (or newly diagnosed) cases of the disease. It is generally reported as the number of new cases occurring within a period of time (e.g., per month, per year). It is more meaningful when the incidence rate is reported as a fraction of the population at risk of developing the disease (e.g., per 100,000 or per million population). Obviously, the accuracy of incidence data depends upon the accuracy of diagnosis and reporting of the disease. In some cases (including ESRD) it may be more appropriate to report the rate of treatment of new cases since these are known, whereas the actual incidence of untreated cases is not.

Incidence rates can be further categorized according to different subsets of the population – e.g., by gender, by racial origin, by age group or by diagnostic category.

Prevalence

Prevalence is the actual number of cases alive, with the disease either during a period of time (period prevalence) or at a particular date in time (point prevalence). Period prevalence provides the better measure of the disease load since it includes all new cases and all deaths between two dates, whereas point prevalence only counts those alive on a particular date.

Prevalence is also most meaningfully reported as the number of cases as a fraction of the total population at risk and can be further categorized according to different subsets of the population.

Incidence to Prevalence

The relationship between incidence and prevalence depends greatly on the natural history of the disease state being reported. In the case of an influenza epidemic, the incidence may be high but not contribute to much growth of prevalence because of the high, spontaneous rate of disease resolution. In the case of a disease that has a low (or zero) cure rate, but where maintenance treatment permits sustained survival, then incidence contributes to continuous growth of prevalence. In such cases, the limitation on prevalence growth is the mortality which occurs in the population. Obviously, prevalence will continue to grow until mortality equals or exceeds the incidence rate.

Correct, one has to factor in the "mutation" factor of antibiotic over use. It means we are creating super bugs that become resistant to many or all antibiotics and increase the chances of some dying from illnesses that were treatable just a few decades ago.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

For there have been 300,000 cases reported there has to have been test to confirm a patient has it.  I believe the debate comes in regarding a much smaller group of patients and how to treat Post Treatment Lyme Disease. 

I don't know of any doctor that would just randomly hand patients "five days worth of antibiotics" to assuage a patient.  I believe the story that is being repeated is the patient presents and without the telltale bulls eye rash they are diagnosed with other ailments.  There are a certain percentage of patients who do not respond or symptoms return and for these patients the controversy is whether prolonged antibiotics work.  We saw it was not the case with Yolanda. 

What Yolanda speaks of is this long lasting Post Treatment Lyme Disease.  There are many people studying it.  So far there has been this  http://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2014/new-test-shows-promise-in-identifying-new-drugs%20to-treat-lyme-disease.html  Human trials require people to volunteer that have the disease to see if this new drug is the cure.  Of course this is after animal trials.  Maybe the Hadids can be first in line to volunteer and in the process be cured.  What seems to be the problem is they can't find patients for studies. So there is plenty of research being conducted on both coasts.  It does not help when Lyme friendly doctors prescribe loads of supplements and recommend spa treatments disguised as medical treatments and then have their patients scream for conventional medicine to finance and find the cure.  .

My doctor did.

I had the bulls-eye rash, and he doesn't believe in Lyme, or rather, doesn't believe it is anything to worry about.  At the time (just a few years ago) I felt ashamed bringing up my concern, because he was so dismissive, also I foolishly believed him.  He gave me the antibiotics (though not the recommended amount or type) and refused to do the Lyme test.

I'm glad there are trials.  My Goddaughter is suffering, and has been for over two years.  A year into it they finally looked for Lyme, and found it.  She's been on several rounds of AB so far, with breaks, and she, and her doctor, are well aware of AB use, and the danger of using it when it's not needed.  Her father is a doctor, her mom was a nurse, she's in a science PhD program.  They know from their work, they don't need google.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Incidence

Prevalence

Incidence to Prevalence

Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours. I appreciate your posts more than anyone else ever has. I severely appreciate them. My appreciation of your posts is the most chronic appreciation that Dr. Fang has ever seen. I appreciate your posts so much that a two foot long parasite just came out of my butt.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

My doctor did.

I had the bulls-eye rash, and he doesn't believe in Lyme, or rather, doesn't believe it is anything to worry about.  At the time (just a few years ago) I felt ashamed bringing up my concern, because he was so dismissive, also I foolishly believed him.  He gave me the antibiotics (though not the recommended amount or type) and refused to do the Lyme test.

I'm glad there are trials.  My Goddaughter is suffering, and has been for over two years.  A year into it they finally looked for Lyme, and found it.  She's been on several rounds of AB so far, with breaks, and she, and her doctor, are well aware of AB use, and the danger of using it when it's not needed.  Her father is a doctor, her mom was a nurse, she's in a science PhD program.  They know from their work, they don't need google.

You can ask for a second opinion and quite frankly if your doctor is so dismissive I would find another STAT.  I feel for you no healthcare provider should dismiss your claims.  I have never heard of a doctor not believing in Lyme Disease.  I have heard that when the telltale bullseye rash is not presented they do not test for Lyme Disease. 

Doctors get their information from studying.  Google has allowed medical studies to be available to a wider group of people.  Obviously your friends haven't found the cure and I would guess they are researching and perhaps even using Google for the latest information.  .

• Love 5
(edited)

They are using all of the established traditional "cures" but so far, it's not working.

Sometimes it doesn't, and just because Yolanda is flaky doesn't mean this doesn't exist.

Anyone who isn't aware of antibiotic resistance and the problems with that has been living under a rock, or hasn't graduated from junior high.

I did fire that doctor though.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Umbelina said:

My doctor did.

3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

They are using all of the established traditional "cures" but so far, it's not working.

Sometimes it doesn't, and just because Yolanda is flaky doesn't mean this doesn't exist.

Anyone who isn't aware of antibiotic resistance and the problems with that has been living under a rock, or hasn't graduated from junior high.

I did fire that doctor though.

bib #1: sounds like a bit of obfuscation is going on and I suspect he didn't believe in Chronic Lyme Disease rather then Lyme Disease which all western MDs believe in.

bib #2 & 4: these contradict each other. Why is she getting multiple courses of antibiotics that don't help and just lead to antibiotic resistance

bib #3: friends and family members should never treat each other (shouldn't have a doctor patient relationship). Also unless they are experimenting on their patients, then they need to keep current with all the medical research/information which is done by reading journals*, seminars, conferences, lectures, etc.

*due to time constraints, most practitioners use online journals since they are faster to navigate and so the internet is very useful. I'm not sure why google is mentioned or its relevance but journals accessed through the internet is a great time saver. Also expert opinion is fairly weak science unless backed up by references to support their opinion. Antidotal evidence is weak. Double blinded placebo controlled trials are the much stronger/better.

I'm half asleep so I hope this make sense...I just had to put words to "paper" (lol) before I forgot about this.

• Love 7

No I meant what I said.  His opinion was that Lyme was no big deal and people make too much of it. 

Who said FAMILY members are treating any other family members?

Doctors don't need google to know about antibiotic abuse, neither do I.  It's widespread knowledge.