Type keyword(s) to search

Yolanda Hadid: My Love, My Lemons, My Lyme Disease.

• Start Topic

I keep reminding myself that WE (as in viewers who not only watch the show but also read and post in blogs are really a very small minority compared to the million of viewers of the show, most of the viewers watch the show and take at face value whatever is shown there,

Downplaying Bella's drinking by saying she only had a glass of wine doesn't work with anyone.  If she got a DUI, she blew above the legal limit on the breathalyzer.  It's clear that it takes a lot more than a glass of wine to blow above the legal limit.  Yo can't fool anyone with that comment, whether they are casual viewers or otherwise.

• Love 2

The more shit I find out about this, da more it pisses me off. Da girl was drunk as a skunk. Call it as it was, Yo, or just your yap about it.

Hate to break it ya, Yo, but if a mere glass of wine lead to a DUI, the cops would be giving out millions of DUI's. If you're gonna lie, don't fuckin' assume we're morons, hun.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

I think the most important person in Yolanda's life is Yolanda. A rich Yolanda. She's so worried about her mother, basically has nothing to do, and can only spend a week with her when she gets back from vacation. She has to vacation with David because he's her current gravy train. Her whole damn life is a vacation. In previous seasons, she couldn't understand why she had to struggle with Lyme disease. Why not her? Everyone has something. Bella has shattered her image of herself as a perfect mother. And, Bella may require some of Yolanda's attention that Yolanda had been planning to spend on herself.

• Love 6

I think the most important person in Yolanda's life is Yolanda. A rich Yolanda. She's so worried about her mother, basically has nothing to do, and can only spend a week with her when she gets back from vacation. She has to vacation with David because he's her current gravy train. Her whole damn life is a vacation. In previous seasons, she couldn't understand why she had to struggle with Lyme disease. Why not her? Everyone has something. Bella has shattered her image of herself as a perfect mother. And, Bella may require some of Yolanda's attention that Yolanda had been planning to spend on herself.

Yo in a nutshell ... actually, all of them. Would love to see ONE of them not only ace a college degree, excel at a career, and be independent financially. But that would take an actual work ethic, and brains, which I don't think any of them possess, and yes I mean even Lisa. Without Ken and his $, she wouldn't be a VP (Vice Prez, not VanderPump :)) of anything.

• Love 2

TMZ reported that Bella Hadid blew a .14 during her DUI arrest. I don't drink, but I agree it does sound highly unlikely that one glass of wine would put you at almost twice the legal limit!

After hearing Yolanda say that Bella was arrested after a glass of wine, I assumed that the arrest was due to a combo of her being underage + drinking + driving. However, it does appear that Bella had more than just "a glass".

When life hands Yolanda lemons...

• Love 3

I like how Yolanda's lemony polished version conveniently leaves out the fact that Bella was driving on a suspended license.

ETA: I wonder if Yolanda still considers Bella a better version of herself?

Edited by EVS
  • Love 3

So I googled David Foster while reading here on another thread, and I was surprised to learn it was David Foster who was driving the car that hit and critically injured Ben Vareen. I remember that as a tragic circumstance. Just thought I would share. 

• Love 2

I like how Yolanda's lemony polished version conveniently leaves out the fact that Bella was driving on a suspended license.

ETA: I wonder if Yolanda still considers Bella a better version of herself?

Dat line still baffles me. I've never heard any parent describe his/her children in this way. It sounds flattering, but it actually puts incredible pressure on teenagers.

Could it be Yolanda is expressing the thought awkwardly because of language issues? As a parent, I certainly hope my kids exceed my limitations. My limitations don't revolve around how many magazine covers I landed as a working (but not super) model, but maybe Yolanda has more in mind than that, too.

• Love 2

I am starting to get more of an understanding of Yolanda as I look back over past seasons and watch this one. For Yolanda, maybe because of her upbringing or culture, everything is a choice. It's a very pragmatic stance and I could see her offending people left and right with out even realizing it because her mindset seems to be about choices and consequences.

The reason she didn't understand why Andy was angry about the "choose to be gay" comments was because she believes that everyone chooses everything for themselves. I would be willing to bet that if questioned closely, she would admit that her "Great Love" for David is a choice that she made and continues to make every day. All of the ridiculous catering that she does to him is because she chooses to love him and therefore, she chooses to maintain that love by behaving as a subordinate.

The idea that people are simply born gay would be complete foreign to her in the same way that it would be impossible for her to believe that people suddenly find themselves homeless, or find themselves in a bad marriage.

It's offensive, and explains why I have never really enjoyed her on the show, but it also makes sense in explaining why she takes such hard stances about things. I.e. "There is nothing uglier than a drunk woman." Or, "I thought you were going to become gay because of your being a jock." Or, "Bella is a rebel because she dresses edgy." 

It is all bullshit, of course, but it is also the way she structures her life and rings true to her based on the way her life has turned out. Of course, it could be that she just phrases things this way because English isn't her first language. If I had to choose, I would say it's somewhere in the middle with me leaning toward her structuring life as a series of choices regardless of actual circumstance.

Edited by MatildaMoody
  • Love 10

I'm not crazy about Yolanda put I can't even begin to imagine how violated I would feel if a private email, written to my child when I was freaked out, angry, and upset, ended up out there for everyone to see.  It's dumb these days to do such things online in any way shape or form but what a terrible humiliation for her daughter too.

Let's hope this family can get its act together and offer the girl some real help.  I've never really understood why the Fosters are even on this show -- and I know David's been on other reality TV programs.  Clearly, something ain't right and, while Yolanda isn't totally responsible for what her daughter does, you can't convince me she hasn't contributed in some form to whatever is driving this kind of irresponsible driving, drinking, and drugging behavior.

I figured the one glass of wine story was BS.  It would make sense, wouldn't it?, to put all the modeling pressure and craziness on the back burner.  What was Yo's plan?  To ship another daughter out to NYC, set her up in another luxury apartment, make certain she made her go-sees and generally discouraged her from attending classes?  The woman is a fool. 

• Love 1

I'm not crazy about Yolanda put I can't even begin to imagine how violated I would feel if a private email, written to my child when I was freaked out, angry, and upset, ended up out there for everyone to see.  It's dumb these days to do such things online in any way shape or form but what a terrible humiliation for her daughter too.

Let's hope this family can get its act together and offer the girl some real help.  I've never really understood why the Fosters are even on this show -- and I know David's been on other reality TV programs.  Clearly, something ain't right and, while Yolanda isn't totally responsible for what her daughter does, you can't convince me she hasn't contributed in some form to whatever is driving this kind of irresponsible driving, drinking, and drugging behavior.

I figured the one glass of wine story was BS.  It would make sense, wouldn't it?, to put all the modeling pressure and craziness on the back burner.  What was Yo's plan?  To ship another daughter out to NYC, set her up in another luxury apartment, make certain she made her go-sees and generally discouraged her from attending classes?  The woman is a fool. 

According to an interview David gave last season to some paper in Canada, Yolanda is on the show to get her own "Fitness and Lifestyle" Show. http://www.realitytea.com/2013/12/10/david-foster-calls-real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-cast-clowns-lisa-vanderpump-responds/

Makes me wonder if he is trying/planning to pull a K. Grammer move with/for Yolanda!

Since Yolanda's arrival she has been sort of a mishmash of half truths.  Early on Kim tried to call her out at a Reunion claiming Yolanda either uses English as a second language or her illness as an excuse when she gets busted for half-truths.  I always get the impression that Yolanda has different expectations from the show than the others do.  Obviously her husband has far more star power and connections than the others and Yolanda isn't afraid to use it.

The success of her daughters in the modeling world will be interesting to follow.  I do think the modeling world is giving way to celebutantes these days.  Whether it be a Kendall Kardashian, who I find stunning and very model like in stature, to the Hadid girls who I find slightly less modelesque but both very pretty ladies.  As the popularity of reality shows continues to make stars I do see the daughters getting a leg up in the modeling world.  I often wonder how the true supermodels feel about the invasion of celebutantes in their world.

• Love 6

See then again I can understand Yolanda's position in trying to minimize the incident because that is what my mother probably would have done, my mom would have told me good in the privacy of our home but in front of everybody she would have defended me, except for my aunts, the rest of the world was not to ever talk badly about her children, ever.

I keep reminding myself that WE (as in viewers who not only watch the show but also read and post in blogs are really a very small minority compared to the million of viewers of the show, most of the viewers watch the show and take at face value whatever is shown there, that is why Kyle got so mad when Lisa put the cheating rumors on the show, or why Adrienne was so hurt when Brandi spewed her secret, because once it makes it to the show, the audience multiplies 10 fold, people who never heard about it before now know about it, so yolanda once she knew the DIU was going to play in the show is now trying to down play what really happened to Bella.

Reading Yolanda's email there is no doubt that yolanda is pretty pissed and hurt and worried about the consequences of Bella's very poor decisions, yet for the public and the viewers she has to try to minimize it, what do we expect? If Yolanda was to say on the show that she is pretty mad because her daughter was falling out drunk and her car was a mess of alcohol, pills and bloody tampons, most viewers would judge her terribly for throwing her daughter under the bus, so in that sense she is screwed one way or another. For most viewers of the show she has to pretend that it was a silly and childish thing that Bella did even though inside I am pretty sure that she knows the gravity of the problem her daughter faces. JMO

ITA I've got to be honest if it were my daughter I would probably play it off the same way. In private I would wring her neck but in front of the world? Hell no. I'm mortified for Yolanda that the email was leaked because she said things about Bella that she certainly didn't want the world to know. Face it, who in the world is going to defend you like your mother?

But doesn't this prove time and time again how karma just keeps on rolling along ? One year you are pontificating about nothing is worse than a drunk women and a few years later that drunk woman is your daughter. I'm trying to think of the saying.....the mills of the Gods grind slowly but the grind exceeding fine (think that's right). In the fullness of time everything comes back one way or another.

• Love 6

That said, I'd shudder like a mudder if anyone read it other than my son, his dad or me.  It's awful that Yo's was leaked.  I believe it's real. I could hear her voice as I read it.  And also because I understand why she felt the need to email.  Although I think the content was all kinds of fucked up. Bringing Anwar into it was wrong.  I suspect Anwar has been brought up as a future King and being disappointed/embarrassed by girls, even if they're his sisters, is something not easily tolerated.

I believe the email was real too. She said she had just picked up Bella's car from the pound, but is it possible Bella was traveling at this point? She does a lot of modeling too and may have had to leave town for a shoot. Does anyone know the exact date of the DUI? Because Yo has a picture from the lunch she shared with Bella, which was shown on RH, and the picture is dated before her trip to see her mom and her trip to Turkey with David. So if it was filmed after the DUI, the DUI would have had to happen before that date.

The email is pretty heartbreaking and very real. I can understand a parent reacting that way, especially if (for whatever reason) she hadn't yet been able to actually see Bella and speak with her. But if at 17 Bella already had a suspended license, how much of a shock could any of this have been? She does seem troubled. I think someone in another thread hit it on the head when they said Gigi was like Pandora, the naturally perfect child who wanted to emulate and live up to their parents standards and expectations. Bella and Max seem to be a little more troubled.

• Love 1

In all likelihood there will be a question about Bella's drunken antics at this year's reunion, but I really hope the viewer question directed at Yolanda is prefaced with "You once said there's nothing uglier than a drunk woman..."

I'd love to see the look on Yo's face as she fields that one!

• Love 3

I agree that the email is all me me me.  Why would you do this to me?  You saw how to be a perfect woman by watching me.  I'm working my ass of for your wonderful New York apartment.  Huh?  Mohammed provided Gigi's apartment.  Setting aside the fact that the sisters need their own million dollar pads, how exactly does Yo think she's working her ass off?  Painting little porcelain tiles that she will hang in Bella's apartment?  Bossing around the delivery men when they come to install the multiple state of the art TVs?

I am absolutely flabbergasted that Bella is off on her own now.  The one thing that I respected about Yolanda's email is she seemed to get that Bella is in a very bad place.  This is the very opposite of tough love.  She's sent off to New York, given a million dollar apartment fully furnished, and given no supervision.  You're on your own Bella!  Well, you've always known that.

• Love 6

I often wonder how the true supermodels feel about the invasion of celebutantes in their world.

Probably the same way that true actors feel about the invasion of models in their world.

I think Bella and Gigi are both beautiful.  But Bella, to me, is more classically so.  Gigi has a round face that lacks real definition although as she gets older the contours will become more pronounced.  That look has been popular for years.  See:  Lily Cole.  (Although if you don't know who she is and you google her, you can't un-see Lily Cole.  She's....um....interesting for a supermodel.)  I'd take healthy round faces over heroin chic, though, any day of the week.

• Love 4

My feeling about the e-mail is that while she was still processing things she may have gotten a bit stuck on the dirty car because it was her way at the time of coping with the evidence of previous instances of Rx drug abuse and drunk driving. IMO that's the real worry. Obviously I'm not advocating or excusing drinking and driving but I do understand alcohol can have what I call the Opposite Day effect...you know, "This is a great decision that will not have any consequences", which leads to driving home hammered. And hopefully that false line of thought doesn't kill anybody and you sober up and say holy shit, that was lucky, and take steps never to do it again. It kinda sounds like Bella got away with driving intoxicated at least once and thought maybe it wasn't as big of a deal as society makes it out to be. This is all wild speculation on my part, of course. I do wonder if Yolanda ever privately acknowledges the dangers of being a rich young model...but maybe she experienced the less decadent, totally non-coke fueled church camp vibe of the 1980s fashion scene. :/

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 5

I find Yolanda to be a quietly smug, condescending and hypocritical bitch, but I did feel for her when she mentioned she wished David had stayed with her to look after her ailing mother in Holland. Their marriage seems pretty devoid of any real love or attachment, but I suppose when you marry for money you earn every penny.

Yolanda is evidently just a trophy wife for a man who's first first (and perhaps only) love will always be music. I don't even think David is interested in women--he seems asexual to me.

• Love 5

David visited her in the hospital yesterday and she tweeted a thank you for his being there for her. To most people, your husband visiting you in the hospital is just a naturally expected thing. Their dynamic is so strange.

• Love 7

David visited her in the hospital yesterday and she tweeted a thank you for his being there for her. To most people, your husband visiting you in the hospital is just a naturally expected thing. Their dynamic is so strange.

It appears that Yolanda has to stroke David's ego constantly to keep their marriage going. I get telling your husband you love him and doing special things for and with him but Yolanda takes it to a level that is not seen in most modern marriages. It is like he rescued her from a fate worse than death and without him she would go right back into that pit because she has no value or identity outside being his wife.

• Love 9

She's been in the hospital since the 19th.  All I can gather from Twitter is that she's fighting the side effects of some medication she's taking for the Lyme's.  I do think it's weird how she thanks David for things that one would expect wouldn't require thanks.  But maybe David doesn't really require it and it's just Yolanda showing the world how wonderful she is.  Her marriage is.  I dunno.  I will say that I think the pictures of her kids in the bed with her are sweet. 

And I take it back what I said earlier about Gigi being doughy-faced.  She's freaking gorgeous.  All Yolanda's children are.  Even the one's not named Gigi.

• Love 2

And I take it back what I said earlier about Gigi being doughy-faced.  She's freaking gorgeous.  All Yolanda's children are.  Even the one's not named Gigi.

Gigi's very striking. Bella, to me, is just Jennifer Lawrence's face put on someone else's body.

• Love 1

You have to admire Yolanda, in the hospital and managed to book a spot on tonight's WWHL.  Go Yolanda!!!!  I just hope if I am awake for her WWHL performance it won't be about Lyme's disease.  I feel lazy having been bedridden for the last three days with the flu.

Yolanda and David were together for seven years or so before they married.  Since they married it seems Yolanda has had a lot on her plate, Lyme's disease, her mother's illness, Bella's incident and more Lyme's disease.  Life probably seemed a lot simpler before they married.  I hope David is in it for the long run. 

• Love 1

I could be waaaaayyy off base but I get the vibe that David married her to be his arm candy among other things. The Lymes disease has put a big crimp in her trophy wife abilities and I don't think David likes that. As others have said they interact like they are strangers. No connection, no warmth or familiarity. So very strange.....

• Love 5

I hope David is in it for the long run.

Well, you know, Yolanda is his FOURTH wife, and even in Hollywood, they begin to wonder about you once you hit five.  Like maybe you're NOT the greatest husband … or maybe even, you're not good in bed. 

• Love 1

Yolanda got sprung from the hospital today.  She was in Seoul Korea last month for a Lyme treatment that apparently they don't offer here in the U.S.  I wonder if those meds are the ones that gave her the side effects that put her in the hospital.

I'm not willing to give Yo a complete pass when she blames her disease for crappy behavior but I certainly feel bad for her that she's struggling with her health.

• Love 1

Caught her on WWHL and she was almost weeping talking about her "silent killer" . I had no idea that you could be so sick that you would wind up in the hospital or that it is a silent killer. Sorry for posting here but the talk show forum did not mention her. Seems she jets around and vacations a lot.

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 1

I too have chronic Lyme and it can kill you. I have never received the amount of treatment for it that Yo has, but, there are varying degrees of it. Another difference is that mine sometimes interferes with my plans because I'm too stiff or in too much pain. Yo's never seems to interfere with anything she wants to do.

• Love 6

Bronzedog - my heart goes out to you, for realz.  Because many diseases and disabilities are unnoticed and "unappreciated", as it were, and cutting edge treatment isn't available to We: The Unwashed Masses.  This is some serious shit, and I cannot evoke a single snark-monster inside me for anyone who doesn't openly exhibit "signs" of distress, disease or disability.  Yo may be many things, but she does not strike me as a malingerer or hypochondriac.  I'll be more than happy to eat these words about Yo, should the time come.  :-)

• Love 2

Caught her on WWHL and she was almost weeping talking about her "silent killer" . I had no idea that you could be so sick that you would wind up in the hospital or that it is a silent killer. Sorry for posting here but the talk show forum did not mention her. Seems she jets around and vacations a lot.

I saw that and what stood out to me was Yo saying she would not give up on Brandi. Which sounds admirable but then she compares Brandi to a child or a dog, saying she needs to be taught how to behave. BWAHAHAHA!  That's some serious delusion there. Brandi is not a child or a pet, she's a grown ass woman but the fierce Dutch Mommy is going to teach her "how to behave" LOL  Good luck with that, Yo, remember how she treated Lisa for trying to Mommy her.

• Love 4

I saw that and what stood out to me was Yo saying she would not give up on Brandi. Which sounds admirable but then she compares Brandi to a child or a dog, saying she needs to be taught how to behave. BWAHAHAHA! That's some serious delusion there. Brandi is not a child or a pet, she's a grown ass woman but the fierce Dutch Mommy is going to teach her "how to behave" LOL Good luck with that, Yo, remember how she treated Lisa for trying to Mommy her.

Like a friend of mine used to say, and Yolanda will eventually realize-You can't polish turd.

• Love 3

What I tend to forget, and maybe others, too, is that Yo left home when she was only 17, had no parental supervision after that time (that we know of), and pretty much did what she wanted to do.  Except for what she learned up to that age, she knew nothing about being a mother, yet she blames herself for not being a good one.  That has to be a problem for her, whether we like her or not. 

I think that Yolanda has lived a fairly racy life, first with one rich man, then with another.  She had no discipline of her own, yet she expects herself to be able to discipline teenagers.  In a very real sense, Yo has never really grown up.  She wants Gigi to live the same life she lived, being a glamorous model and seeing the world.  She wants Bella to be a top equestrian when Bella has no self-discipline.  Unless you have a heart of stone, you have to feel just a little bit sorry for Yolanda because she's missed out on so much about life and doesn't know it.  She still thinks that her appearance is what matters, and she wants her daughters to grow up when she, herself, has never grown up.  Tis a problem!

Yolanda is going to have to come to terms with her own shortcomings and her own narrow views on life before she can ever handle the problems of her daughters, I think.  If she doesn't, then she really is a failure as a mother and a well-adjusted human being.

• Love 2

TMZ reported that Bella Hadid blew a .14 during her DUI arrest. I don't drink, but I agree it does sound highly unlikely that one glass of wine would put you at almost twice the legal limit!

After hearing Yolanda say that Bella was arrested after a glass of wine, I assumed that the arrest was due to a combo of her being underage + drinking + driving. However, it does appear that Bella had more than just "a glass".

When life hands Yolanda lemons...

Maybe she was drinking a harder version of Yo's lemonade?

• Love 2

Does anyone else see the irony in Yolanda's promos for "Into the Woods"? She has Lyme's Disease... A great place to pick that up would be the woods (I know this from personal experience).

• Love 3

Yolanda was comparing Lyme disease to cancer - it's worse than cancer because you can't see it - it's the silent killer.

Um, no it's not. I had a coworker who was hospitalized for a month with a spider bite and then she had Lyme's.  Totally devastating to her health.  A formerly bright active kickboxer barely able to walk unassisted at first.  Horrible.  But I wouldn't start comparing diseases.  Not good.

Yolanda doesn't seem to let it interfere with much of her life.  And good on her that she can afford experimental treatments.

• Love 3

I don't understand Yolanda's mothering.  It's just too hands off in my opinion.  I know that modern mothers tend towards helicoptering, but Yolanda is the complete opposite (unless a modelling shoot involving scant clothing is involved).  Even knowing that Bella has secretly been using drugs (Rx and otherwise) and drinking and driving, as well as the unforgiveable crime of being messy, she does not alter plans.  Bella - a seventeen year old who has shown terrible decision making skills - will be sent to New York, unchaperoned, and given a million dollar apartment.  Oh gee, it's not like an under-aged girl could get in trouble in a small town like NY, right?

By the way, even perfect little Gigi may be wondering into the land of scandal.  Gigi is peripherally involved in Selena Gomez's latest scandal.  A group of rich teenagers (Selena Gomez, Kendall Jenner, Gigi, plus ten more) spent New Year's in Dubai, in a paid appearance.  They visited a famous mosque and took some disrespectful pictures.  Gigi was there smiling away - wonder what Mohamed thought?  One other thought - this appearance was arranged by PMK (pimp-mama Kris, aka Kris Jenner), surely Gigi is not her client?  If so, she's on the fast-track to fame whore.

• Love 2

I bet Mohammed was furious with her.  Rihanna did the same thing (only worse - she showed much more) a few months ago, and it really caused a ruckus.  Selena Gomez knew what to do to get some media attention.  Stupid idiot.   

• Love 1

I don't understand Yolanda's mothering.  It's just too hands off in my opinion.  I know that modern mothers tend towards helicoptering, but Yolanda is the complete opposite (unless a modelling shoot involving scant clothing is involved).  Even knowing that Bella has secretly been using drugs (Rx and otherwise) and drinking and driving, as well as the unforgiveable crime of being messy, she does not alter plans.  Bella - a seventeen year old who has shown terrible decision making skills - will be sent to New York, unchaperoned, and given a million dollar apartment.  Oh gee, it's not like an under-aged girl could get in trouble in a small town like NY, right?

By the way, even perfect little Gigi may be wondering into the land of scandal.  Gigi is peripherally involved in Selena Gomez's latest scandal.  A group of rich teenagers (Selena Gomez, Kendall Jenner, Gigi, plus ten more) spent New Year's in Dubai, in a paid appearance.  They visited a famous mosque and took some disrespectful pictures.  Gigi was there smiling away - wonder what Mohamed thought?  One other thought - this appearance was arranged by PMK (pimp-mama Kris, aka Kris Jenner), surely Gigi is not her client?  If so, she's on the fast-track to fame whore.

Not just fame whoredom either if Kris Jenner is involved. She is one sick woman to pimp her children out like she has. Totally bizarre.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 4