Type keyword(s) to search

Mass Effect

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

This might be another reason why ME:A was disappointing. Here are screenshots from ME:A and Anthem, Bioware's new game that was developed concurrently.

maxresdefault.jpg

qhtn6uodizsx1lr8eqen.png

Looks like Anthem was clearly their priority. 

• Love 1

Good job Bioware! You managed to kill off one of the top franchises in gaming!

I hope Anthem is worth it.  I, however, will not be buying it. Not my type of game. 

(edited)

I guess I'm not going to bother trying to play it again.  And that's really a shame, because even though a lot of the characters annoyed me, a lot of them didn't.

I don't even understand what Anthem is supposed to be.

ETA:  I wouldn't be surprised if this is more EA's deal than BioWare itself.  Same thing they ever do, mess with their subsidiaries until they're unrecognizable, and then take them out back and shoot them.  Just like Bullfrog...and Origin...and Westwood...and Pandemic...

Edited by starri

It's not so much that I'm afraid they're going to abandon the franchise, it's more that despite the game's numerous imperfections, I did find myself invested in a lot of the story despite myself, and I have no interest in following it in a way that I don't have some role in guiding.

The first game in the series was by no means perfect, and they improved it by leaps and bounds in ME2, and if BioWare had removed their heads from their asses and given a potential sequel appropriate resources, they could have done it again.

This whole thing has left such a sour taste in my mouth, I'm really not in any hurry to support anything else they put out, even if Anthem was something I found appealing.

• Love 1

If anyone has held out for ME:  Andromeda to go under $20, Amazon is selling the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the deluxe edition for less than $19.99 today.  There's not much extra that comes with the deluxe edition, you just get a stupid monkey, an extra outfit and a copy of the soundtrack which I didn't find all that great.

I'm not even sure I care at this point.  Anthem isn't the type of game I'm interested in, and the only thing I could possibly want out of them is a current-gen edition of ME1-3.  Yeah, the way they handled Andromeda pissed me off that much.

• Love 1

Shamus Young. " I expect the meeting they're having now at Bioware is, "We were told to copy Destiny but now everyone is mad at Destiny and we need to find some other game to clone because we're not allowed to come up with our own ideas anymore oh god someone please wake me from this nightmare." "

Yeah, that sounds about right. Though perhaps they should try copying from, y'know, Mass Effect.

16 hours ago, starri said:

I'm not even sure I care at this point.  Anthem isn't the type of game I'm interested in, and the only thing I could possibly want out of them is a current-gen edition of ME1-3.  Yeah, the way they handled Andromeda pissed me off that much.

I'm just worried about losing the best producer of relationship based RPGs. (And I don't really count Andromeda because that was the B team.)

I don't know that we should still give them that title.  EA clearly wants a piece of that sweet, sweet microtransaction pie, and I'm sure will never let BioWare produce another ME style game again.  Just look at how they somewhat vindictively just closed Visceral and put people out of work.

I don't follow gaming news that closely, but from what I've heard, this is mainly EA killing the companies they've acquired, yes? I'll be very upset if Bioware dies, but that'll be aimed at EA's mismanagement. I too, have zero interest in Anthem. I would rather get another ME or the next Dragon Age.

So, I'm finally playing Andromeda (didn't have a rig capable of running it until now), and ... it might be my favourite of the franchise? I really like playing Ryder, I love my ship, the crew is solid. Really, I'm getting most of what I want out of a Mass Effect game. Now, admittedly, I haven't played the original. I jumped in with ME2, and found trying ME1 after 2 and 3 was an exercise in frustration.

What I'm really enjoying is the scanner. The Mass Effect universe has always been this neat confluence of Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5, my favourite Sci-fi franchises, and ME:A definitely feels the most Star Trek. Running around playing diplomat and using a tricorder ... Andromeda is giving me better Trek than Star Trek Online (but that might be because I just can't get into MMOs).

Anyway, no spoilers, but I'm just past the Archon's ship in the main plot, and leaving it to work on sidequests. And I can already feel the big problem, Andromeda sets up a lot of neat choices, clearly intending possible consequences in ME:A2, so it's gonna suck to leave those hanging. I might have to start fan-ficing my own sequels.

• Love 1

What is, in your opinion, at least one of the most dangerous/deadly video game obstacles?

One of the worst for me is the two deep-penetrating spiked chandeliers in Marble Zone act 3 on O-R 1991 Sonic The Hedgehog. Why do I say this? Because if you get caught under them at the wrong time, the consequences could be quite horrendous! 

What I mean is this: if you do not have a shield on, and one of these things comes down on you, it not only takes your rings, but kills you at the same time. The animation thereof drives the point home too: you see your rings in a tight cluster behind you, and you see your death throw sprite at the same time.

If you do have a shield on, the effect is similar, but not quite as embarrassing; all you see in that case is your death throw sprite. 

I've been a victim of these traps both ways, and that is why I seldom even attempt the possible shortcut on Marble Zone act 3; I know it could save time, but I'd much rather take time and be safe, than risk a quite embarrassing death.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, Unusual Suspect said:

Finished the main plot. Damn. It's such a shame ME:A went down like that, I feel it needs a sequel or more story content. I'm definitely interested in seeing more of Andromeda.

Yeah. I feel like Andromeda got WAY WAY more hate than it really deserves. Sure, it could use some ironing out here and there, mostly with the open world stuff but I'd say in general it fits somewhere between ME3 and ME2 in quality.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 4:21 PM, Danny Franks said:

That looks way too much like a Geth to be coincidental.

His voice also sounds quite a bit like Legion's.  I know that could just be the result of it being modulated to sound electronic, but it's so close, I wonder if it might also be DC Douglas.  There's no one credited yet on IMDb.

Okay... add that to the list of games I'll need to get.

I hope they actually add more to the character storylines and try to do something with the ending. I didn't mind the bittersweet conclusion, and I've said before that the emotional impact of the story was more important than the game mechanics, but it upset a lot of people that you had a 'push one of these buttons' conclusion.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, Danny Franks said:

Okay... add that to the list of games I'll need to get.

I hope they actually add more to the character storylines and try to do something with the ending. I didn't mind the bittersweet conclusion, and I've said before that the emotional impact of the story was more important than the game mechanics, but it upset a lot of people that you had a 'push one of these buttons' conclusion.

They wont remake the games, just remaster them with slightly better graphics. If anything, for example, ME 1 will miss its Pinnacle Station DLC due to incompatibility in source code for consoles or something yaddy-yadda-yadda.

The internet may have figured out who the (male?) voice of the next main character is.

Spoiler

Henry Cavill, our beloved Geralt from Netflix's The Witcher and Superman from Snyder's DC films, posted a mysterious photo on Instagram today (you'll find it above), in which he can be seen in a make-up room holding sheets of paper - unfortunately with the text completely blurred. The actor hinted in the photo's description that he was preparing for a new project. What exactly? Well, we have an idea.

It's all thanks one of our colleagues, who, using the right program (Focus Magic), got rid of the annoying blur from the photo, enabling us to deciphere the text. The result is surprising to say the least, as we can make out words like "Cerberus", "Reaper", "Geth" or "Tali'Zorah". Those who are more observant probably already know what it's about, so I won't keep the rest of you in suspense - Cavill is holding in his hand a text connected with the Mass Effect series.

The article also contains potential plot spoilers.

It's odd.  While I'm grateful to finally have the series for modern consoles, I'm not sure I'm seeing that great a difference. There are some minor gameplay changes--the combat HUD in ME1 now looks like the ones from the later games, there are no class restrictions on firearms, and the Mako sucks a little less.  The only times that the plussed graphics have stood out to me so far are the pre-rendered scenes (the mass relays have a subtle, very cool particle effect) and oddly, the thresher maws.  But I'm also only just leaving the Citadel, so maybe I'll notice more as I go.

I did have a weird thought that never really occurred to me in fifteen years:  The Alliance navy seems to be really egalitarian about gender, so why does Ashley's armor have boobs?  

• Love 1
On 5/16/2021 at 12:06 PM, starri said:

I'm not sure I'm seeing that great a difference.

I've watched game footage and that was my impression. Especially if you take into account the work that has been done by modders over the years. I'll probably wait a couple of years to catch it in a Steam sale. Hopefully before the release of ME4.