Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Outside Projects: From Animal House to Wayne's World

Message added by formerlyfreedom

This topic is for discussion of projects for former cast and crew outside of the show  - it may be an SNL related project or not!

• Start Topic

I recently watched Andy's movie "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping" and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.  I thought the satire was so sharp and I'm bummed it didn't do better. I'm not only impressed that they somehow got Ringo Starr to say "doink de doink", but that they also got Mariah Carey to say that she's the most humble person she knows (which cracked my shit up).  I think eventually, it will hold a spot as a cult classic (similar to their other movie Hot Rod).

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

Molly Shannon won an Independent Spirit Award tonight as Best Supporting Female Actor for Chris Kelly's Other People.  And boy her speech was great! She was so joyous and uplifting.  She gave a beautiful salute to Chris' mom, which him made cry, and at the end exclaimed she felt like a "SUPERSTAR!"  Hee. Loved it!

I really need to see that movie.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Taran Killam's project at Showtime is not going forward, but hey, guy's still got Hamilton going for him!

And he is fantastic!  I didn't realize the role could even be funnier than it was the first time I saw it with Rory, but Taran is great!

• Love 1
(edited)

David Koechner and Jim Belushi have popped up in small roles on Twin Peaks. Belushi's is likely going to be bigger in future episodes as he's playing a mob boss). Koechner played a detective in a scene with Kyle Maclachlan (who hosted back in the days of Twin Peaks-mania, so I guess it's all symbiotic...).

Molly Shannon was on the show back when it first aired, also in a small role.

Edited by Pete Martell

I caught the the Gong Show last week. Euh. Despite game, cheerful judges (including Dana Carvey!) Mike Myers just can't help himself. The act will just be getting started and then it cuts to Myers in that ridiculous persona mugging or taking attention from it. 

Chuck Barris struck the right balance of letting the acts get the attention but keeping the tone light and absurdist. I'd rather just watch his reruns.

• Love 1

Bobby Monihan and John Larroquette will star in Me, Myself, & I this fall on CBS.  Along with teen Jack Dylan Grazer, they play the same character at different ages.  It's nice to see Larroquette again.  The last I saw of him was his small role in the shamefully-prematurely-cancelled HBO realpolitik comedy, The Brink.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:13 PM, hendersonrocks said:

If you are a fan of Leslie Jones and Game of Thrones (with Seth Meyers giggling along), OMG. Game of Jones.

Leslie in a Def Leppard wife-beater 4TW!

Alec Baldwin is doing a Sunday night talk show on ABC.  The pilot (which they didn't intend to air) is on right now.  First guest is Jerry Seinfeld.  Kate McKinnon will be coming up soon.  Alec does good talk shows.

• Love 1

So Adam Sandler has a new stand-up special on Netflix 100 Percent Fresh. Actually it's edited together from a bunch of his live shows he's done, but it's really the best thing he's done in years! At the end he does a really beautiful musical tribute to Chris Farley.

I have no desire to see this film, but I was reading an article about Lars von Trier's new gorefest, The House That Jack Built, and then saw that Siobhan Fallon is in the cast list. I know she's done a number of things since SNL, but I still always associate her with SNL, her recurring characters, the Showtime at the Apollo sketch, the sheer zeal with which Don Pardo would announce her name, etc. She had a lot of potential. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

Tracy Morgan is releasing a cookbook based on his new show in April: The Last OG Cookbook

Featuring “80 Soulful Recipes With Street Credit,” the book includes an introduction written by Morgan with a focus on community and love.

“This project is really special to me,” Morgan said in a statement. “I can throw down in the kitchen, so I’m excited to put these recipes in a book packed with soul and bold in-your-face flavors. The most important ingredient is love. I want this book to not only inspire mad culinary skills, but give back to the Brooklyn community where I grew up.”

In addition to the soulful recipes of The Last O.G. Cookbook — covering everything from wacky originals like Dessert Loaf and Chopped Cheese Dip to reinterpreted African-American classics such as Tray’s To Die Dreaming Fried Chicken and Waffles and Shay’s Repast Spaghetti — brief sections of the book will focus on pressing social issues including mass incarceration, food deserts, and re-entry challenges.

• Love 2

Aidy Bryant has a new Hulu show -- Shrill.  I include this link as it also deals with Julia Sweeney, who is also in the cast.

Aidy's on a recent WTF w/ Marc Maron partly to pimp her new show.  IMHO, apart from that, it's a pretty standard SNL castmember Marc Maron interview.  She knew Vanessa beforehand from Improv Olympics, auditioned the same time as Cecily, and was buddies with Tim Robinson at the time they both got the nod. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2

I haven't watched B99 in a few years now but I read that Julia Sweeney was on last week's episode. Nice to see SNL alums showing each other love. 

Apparently Julia was also on Shrill last season. The show has gotten another season.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/shrill-aidy-bryant-renewed-season-2-hulu-1202595935/

In another article, which is mostly behind a paywall, Aidy said she films the show during her summer break so gets little time off. She says she wants to be back on SNL this coming season, and she isn't even sure she wants that to be her last season, although she knows she will need a break. 

(she didn't say this in a way that implies she thought they were going to do whatever she wanted or that she was making demands on SNL, in case I'm wording it poorly) 

I was watching The Assistant, a web series Abby Elliott did in 2012. Jim Downey has a very funny bit in the first episode, and Kate McKinnon pops up in episode 5 as a psychic. That one was a surprise as she wasn't listed on IMDB. 

Taran Killam's sitcom on ABC, Single Parents (also featuring a guest spot by Vanessa Bayer), was renewed for a second season. 

Kenan's sitcom has been picked up. 

https://deadline.com/2019/05/kenan-thompson-comedy-the-kenan-show-series-order-nbc-1202611924/

A trailer for It 2, starring Bill Hader (and SNL hosts Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy), has been released. 

The screenwriter said he originally included an Al Pacino impression, but Bill (rightfully I'd say) replied that he'd already done all that on SNL.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Taran Killam's sitcom on ABC, Single Parents (also featuring a guest spot by Vanessa Bayer), was renewed for a second season. 

And as an aside, his wife, Cobie Smulders, also had her own new series (now untitled, but formerly known as Stumptown) picked up by ABC, so it sounds like good times for that household.

And congrats to Keenan, too.

• Love 1