Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Outside Projects: From Animal House to Wayne's World

Message added by formerlyfreedom

This topic is for discussion of projects for former cast and crew outside of the show  - it may be an SNL related project or not!

• Start Topic

Wine Country is in select theaters and on Netflix. The cast has been making the rounds to promote the movie so there have been lots of fun SNL stories!

Ana Gasteyer & Paula Pell discuss their new movie Wine Country:

Ana Gasteyer on Seth Meyers:

Amy Poehler on Seth Meyers:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Amy Poehler on Jimmy Fallon:

Maya Rudolph on Jimmy Fallon:

Part 1

Part 2

Rachel Dratch on Stephen Colbert:

• Love 2

Wow, I didn't know Nasim Pedrad was in the new live action Aladdin! As Princess Jasmine's friend apparently. I guess since this feels more like a romcom they need a "sassy best friend" character:

• Love 2

Another headline from that interview had him saying he'd go back to do another season if asked. 

I don't really think that would work, but I wouldn't mind seeing him host again. 

I was reading that infamous 1995 New York article on SNL's woes and saw that Lorne nearly brought him back as a full time cast member then. I was surprised as he'd only left a few years earlier. 

(edited)
19 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Another headline from that interview had him saying he'd go back to do another season if asked. 

I actually find that pretty sad. It's basically  pleading to be relevant again. And I can't see how it could work. I bet Dana looks at Kenan and realizes with regret that he probably should had taken the same tact and stayed as long as possible. 

Edited by vb68
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

I actually find that pretty sad. It's basically  pleading to be relevant again. And I can't see how it could work. I bet Dana looks at Kenan and realizes with regret that he probably should had taken the same tact and stayed as long as possible. 

I think he was probably right to leave when he did (I think Mike Myers probably should have left sooner than he did, although his contract may have always run that long, I don't know), but he was too typecast from his SNL period to have a big chance elsewhere. I also think that he became too overexposed on the show, which can hurt a career (I think it hurt Kristen Wiig's career to a degree). While I'd take him over what was to come, seeing him as GWB and Perot, sometimes in the same scenes, could be unbearable. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

(I think it hurt Kristen Wiig's career to a degree

I'm not sure just because you could kinda tell she was unprepared for how big Bridesmaids hit. She seems uneasy being too high profile IMO. I think she has tried to balance smaller projects with an occasional wannabe blockbuster (not always with great results.)   She may be more choosy after Ghost Busters, but she is the lead villain in the next Wonder Woman film.  So yeah, I think she's trying to be careful in picking her projects more than anything.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, JZL said:

Just watched the first ep of Documentary Now.  Are they all that bad? 

It's a very specific show and familiarity with the subject matter helps.  Some I didn't care for.  Others I thought were brilliant. 

• Love 1

HBO put up the first episode of Los Espookys for free.

I finally watched an episode of the new Match Game, and while Alec was a bit try-hard, he was alright, and I enjoyed the show overall. Michael Che was a panelist. Horatio Sanz will also be on this season, as will Rob Riggle. Chris Parnell is going to be on the 19th. Here's a recent Chris interview. 

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/q-a-chris-parnell-on-archer-rick-and-morty-and/article_02c30a68-7a67-11e9-b933-1bf70208520b.html

Rob Riggle also has a game show coming up on ABC, called Holey Moley. 

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/mini-golf-show-holey-moley-begins-on-abc-june-20

To cover hosts, Elizabeth Banks is fronting the new Press Your Luck, and Jason Alexander is a panelist on Match Game.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/quibi-mapleworth-murders-lorne-michaels-snl-paula-pell-1203252558/

A new show in the works for Paula Pell.

Quibi keeps shelling out cash for content: Jeffrey Katzenberg’s richly funded startup has ordered a short-form murder-mystery comedy written by and starring former “Saturday Night Live” writers Paula Pell and John Lutz, and executive produced by Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video alongside Seth Meyers and Mike Shoemaker.

Luke Null has a comedy album out.

He also has an AMA on Reddit today. 

image.png.45c4caf21ce0f7e772e25f9e5dfd7253.png

Ana Gasteyer in Wine Country reminded me of this forgotten gem, People of Earth, the 2016-2017 sitcom in which she plays the head of a support group for alien abductees that is investigated and then joined by a character played by Wyatt Cenac.

I loved this show.  It was slated for a third season and then cancelled, I suspect because Cenac got his HBO show Problem Areas (bleh, but nice try) about that time.

It aired on TBS and may be available via streaming or whatever.

Nasim Pedrad joined the show in its second season.

• Love 6
(edited)

Now on Hulu:  Too Funny to Fail: The Life & Death of The Dana Carvey Show

This was surprisingly interesting.  The show was on ABC in 1996 behind Tim Allen's Home Improvement and was almost immediately cancelled.  Only eight shows were produced and ABC didn't even air the eighth.

Notably, the show propelled the early careers of head-writer Louis CK, Steve Colbert and Steve Carrell, among others.

Edited by JZL
& Charlie Kaufman
  • Love 2

Jenny Slate has a new stand-up special on Netflix. 

I wonder what others think.  I like her a lot, but had to quit watching about 7-8 minutes in.  Is it safe to go back in the water?

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1