Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Outside Projects: From Animal House to Wayne's World

Message added by formerlyfreedom

This topic is for discussion of projects for former cast and crew outside of the show  - it may be an SNL related project or not!

• Start Topic

I think it's the little absurd things that'll might make it funny. Like the surrogate ripping the magazine with Ferrell and Wiig on the cover perfectly straight down the middle, or Ferrell telling his daughter perfectly straight faced "I'm scared too."

(edited)

Wasn't sure where to stick this, so I chose here. If you're interested, track down tonight's episode of Seth Myers. There was a new Really?! with Seth and Amy.

Edit- now linked here at the Seth Myers board. Go watch.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

Here's the clip:

Amy as a brunette is both beautiful and terrifying.

It's hard to tell from the lighting, but she's actually a red head now.  It's easier to see in photos like this.  And in some angles, she looks like Debra Messing, which is entirely confusing to me.  

I will say, I think Seth Meyer's is finally finding his footing on the Late Show.  His first couple of months were rough, but his jokes, especially his monologue jokes, have been really sharp recently.

• Love 1

It's hard to tell from the lighting, but she's actually a red head now.  It's easier to see in photos like this.  And in some angles, she looks like Debra Messing, which is entirely confusing to me.

Ah ok, thank you. Damn, Late Night has got some whack lighting. When I first started watching the clip all I could think was, "It finally happened. Tina and Amy have converged to make one person."

Cecily has been added to the Ghostbusters cast.

http://www.avclub.com/article/three-men-and-snl-lady-join-paul-feigs-ghostbuster-221813

Interesting. This rumor's been floating around for a while now. I saw her interviewed on Watch What Happens Live! a couple months back and Andy Cohen asked if it was true and she denied it. Maybe it wasn't true then, or maybe the ink wasn't dry on the contract yet. Either way, another reason (for me, anyway) to get pumped for the film!

• Love 2

For anyone that's ever wondered how Chris Farley would have sounded like as Shrek if the movie had been released with his voice work as originally intended, the lost footage has finally been uncovered on YouTube. And oh my God, he was wonderful.

No disrespect to Mike Myers, but....*sigh* what could have been...

• Love 1

The new Zoolander trailer is out, and it looks like Kyle Mooney is in it (in a part that looks like more than a bit part; he's in the trailer more than once).  Kristen Wiig is also in it, and honestly, if I hadn't seen her name at the end, I wouldn't have realized it was her.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Taran, Kate, Bobby, and Kenan are doing voices for this kid's animation show called "Nature Cat." I just watched the premiere on PBS. They're airing it over and over again, if anyone wants to see it. At the end of the show they also said there's a "Nature Cat" app, which I took to be the planned means of distribution for future episodes, but it wasn't really clear.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/new-pbs-kids-series-nature-cat-will-premiere-november-25-2015/

http://www.thewrap.com/snl-bobby-moynihan-nature-cat-pbs-kids-saturday-night-live-tca/

I'll be honest: I sometimes like kid shows (Steven Universe!!!), but this one was hard for me to get through. I didn't like the style of animation or the voice affectations. The stories were a mixed bag (there were three short stories in the premiere). It's not for me, but maybe kids and/or others would like it.

Has anyone else seen Sisters yet? I saw it this afternoon and thought it was pretty good. Not groundbreaking or anything (and I definitely wasn't expecting it to be) but I laughed a lot. Tina and Amy are always great, together and apart, but I thought the real scene-stealers were Maya and Bobby, especially Bobby. There are few great moments where he's just in the background being ridiculous while more important things are happening in the foreground and I'd laugh so hard every time.

Those Ghostbusters posters are amazing. I'm hoping we get a trailer soon!

Sundance Report: Molly Shannon Brings the Laughter and Tears in 'Other People'

In Other People, a talented group of supporting players step up into the sort of starring roles they seemed, in retrospect, destined to play.

A deeply personal and semi-autobiographical first feature written and directed by comedy writer Chris Kelly (Saturday Night Live and Broad City), the film premiered on Thursday night at the Sundance Film Festival. The dramedy, about a young gay comedy writer (Jesse Plemons) who returns home to bland Sacramento to help care for his dying mother (Molly Shannon) and deal with his quietly bigoted dad (Bradley Whitford), earned every tear and laugh from the sold-out crowd with a mix of specificity and pathos that could have only been written by someone who lived through the events depicted on screen. Kelly also deserves credit for his deft casting; perhaps the biggest revelations were the performances by vets Shannon (SNL) and Plemons (Friday Night Lights, Fargo), who, as mother and son, turn in nuanced and perhaps career-redefining performances.

I saw a special (I think it aired on both Showtime and the History Channel) called Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon, and it had some good stuff from Chevy Chase talking about his experiences as well as some great old photos of him, John Belushi and Bill Murray.

It's neat to see how the great funny people all tie together. It also mentions Harold "the hero I never knew I had" Ramis when it gets to the part of the story with Animal House.  Of interest was how close Chevy Chase was to the founder Doug Kenny. Who by the way, played Stork in Animal House. I did not know that Stork was actually a super important person in the creation of so many things I loved until I saw this documentary. John Landis tells the story of how and why Doug Kenny ended up in the movie.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Seeing the TV spots for Race, about Jesse Owens and was surprised to see Jason Sudeikis in it, being all serious. I'm sure he's good in it but I couldn't help think it looks like the recent SNL sketch about white actors being nominated for awards for appearing in movies  about black subject matter!

This is a Beck Bennett video. (Which was in the title of the thread before it was moved to this thread, and it couldn't be edited after that, I guess)

There's a creepy Conan in there somewhere . . .

Edited by JZL

A few cast members showed up at the Oscars last night. Chris Rock obviously hosted and then Tracy Morgan, Kristen Wiig, and Leslie Jones were in the pre-taped bit about re-imagining some of the nominated films with black actors. Leslie was freaking hilarious as the bear in The Revenant, especially considering her Update love letter to Leo a few episodes ago.

• Love 1

Kate didn't have many lines in the trailer, I wonder if that's going to be typical for the movie. She's gifted enough physically that her performance should still shine through and would make for a great sight gag if she constantly looks like she's about to say something but gets cut off.

PS. Go show your love for the movie on YouTube. The Anti-Female Ghostbusters crowd is over there down voting it and generally being dicks.

• Love 2

I've found that Kate has been featured in many sketches where she isn't the focus and yet is still able to make an impression. She's very talented in that way that she doesn't need all eyes on her to do something memorable.

That being said, it's hard to tell from the trailer how much of a role she'll play, but hopefully it's a substantial one. I'm not surprised at Kristen and Melissa getting more focus, they're vets compared to Kate and Leslie (I know Leslie's been in the game for awhile but she's only started to achieve mainstream notoriety in the past couple of years).

It's just a trailer. I doubt it means she won't have a lot of dialogue. She's the engineer and the one who makes all their equipment so there has to be scenes where she explains how to use them to the others.

• Love 1

Oh yes I agree, just saying that the trailer probably focused on Kristen and Melissa more because they've proven to be marketable stars, while Kate and Leslie haven't yet, though Leslie gets a lot of focus as well.