Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: My Fair Ladies of London

Oh, we've already gotten "Americans are loud and brash" and the loads of tea and the "it's so impossible for Americans to break into English society"...blah blah.  If any of these women were high society or anywhere near it, they wouldn't be on this show.  So that snobby woman pretending to be posh is just the tallest m*****, nothing to see here.

• Love 4

This is a true confession: I've been a subscriber to British high society mag Tatler for years, like since I was in high school in the '80s.  I've actually heard of all of the Brit women before - Annabelle and Caroline, definitely.  I don't know how they "rank" in high society, but they are definitely a familiar sight. Had definitely heard about Caprice, but mainly from Hello! magazine.  The others - rank amateurs from the land of Un-Real Housewives of Absolutely Nowhere.

• Love 1

I can't keep the names straight to save my life.  cheeztoast, who's the blond with the center-part pageboy that looks like Mick Jagger from the nose down?  It's really hard (for me) to see why she's so conceited.  Like for real.    what is she known for?  I gotta agree with moocher, as reserved as Brits are, I just don't see any of them thinking being so public even if only with their personalities is a good idea.   Even if it were sold to them as some lifestyle-celebration series.  Just no.    Ooh and who's the lady with long blond hair that is about to have twins?  This is gonna sound mean as shit but when the first look of this show aired and she or somebody else in a TH said that she was pregnant I walked towards my tv.  I was like no, girl you are a hundred and four years old!  I mean mazel, you know if that's what you want but {nosescrunch} really?  She's American right?  That Madonna fake accent thing she does drives me insane.

• Love 1

Oh, my, we've got the snobs, and the wannabe snobs. 

I guess the American women who are married to wealthy Englishmen (or want to be), feel the need to be accepted by English society ladies.  I can't imagine why as they seem pretty dull and very much like wet blankets.  Of course, we only have two English women on the show, so they don't represent all society women.

So Noelle's story line is waiting for her boyfriend of four years to complete his divorce so they can marry.  I guess he's been in jail for trying to hide his assets from the courts and his not-quite-ex-wife?  Noelle, pay attention!  Leopards don't change their spots.  It's not going to be "different this time" just because it's you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hope this entire series is not going to be 'we Brits are so much better than those loud, low-class Americans'. And I'm sorry but the 'I'm true royalty' gal is a snob and not nearly as attractive as she thinks she is.  She should thank her lucky stars she was born into the 'right' family in a country where snobbery is considered an asset. 

I like Caroline and her face of "excitement." The 'I'm up here and the Americans are down there' bit is annoying but I look at her as entertainment.

Besides Caprice I got confused by the other blondes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I, too, was amused by how the Brits looked down their nose at anything the Americans did. If they showed enjoyment at the polo match, that was déclassé. It they showed interest in their companions, that was too much interest. If they wore a dress to the polo match, they were over-dressed. Really, the only one who seemed a teeny bit over dressed was Noelle, with her ostentatious hat. Marissa and Juliet were dressed much in line with the Brits.

But I think that's the setup for the show, really. The Americans are going to try to break into a society that snubs its nose at them.

I must admit, I'm as much of an Anglophile as the next girl watching this show, but something in me cringed when Marissa (?) said she gave up her American citizenship for British citizenship. Dual citizenship, yes, renounce it entirely, no.

• Love 9

So basically, the British women of the show were born into their social status and didn't really earn anything on their own.  Caroline, the "socialite" essentially through her family's connections has a successful gift line that is probably only successful because of her family connections.  The other Brit with the crabby attitude also born into society and seems to have convinced herself she is a gorgeous, stylish woman for some reason.

The Americans, well, one married a Brit with ties to society so she's good.  The other a gold digger.  Caprice and the loud American seem to be the only ones who actually are self-made.  

With the exception of the loud American, the Americans are dying to be accepted by the extremely bland, hyper critical, born into status Brits who seem to not know the meaning of the word "fun".  

The only one who I found amusing was the silly American girl trying to pretend she isn't with the billionaire because he's a billionaire.  

• Love 6

Caroline is related to the Vesteys who are close to the Queen (horses, you know) but the Vesteys would have been considered arriviste by the 18th century aristos as I think they got their title through trade, ie grocery stores.  I don't think that makes her royalty, ferchrissake.  Also, if you're blue-blue-blood, you never claim how close you are to royalty because they're all Germans.  And most of the higher-ranked aristos (dukes, particularly) are offspring of royalty on the wrong side of the blanket. 

Annabelle was a fixture in Tatler, mainly because she used to be married to Nat Rothschild. Noelle showed up only when she was engaged to Matthew Mellon after he and Tamara (Jimmy Choo co-founder) Yeardye split up.  I don't know if I would have called Annabelle one of McQueen's muses (a term as overused and misused as "diva").  She was definitely friends with him, but who in London wasn't?

The Americans - I've never seen or heard of them ever, including the Earl of Sandwich's wife.  She's not on the regular Tatler society scene (mostly aristos who all went to school together and never stopped partying with the exact same people into perpetuity). Apparently she's on the made-for-TV London party scene, huh?

• Love 3

The Earl of Sandwich?

So, we're supposed to not titter at that right?  LMAO!!!!   Oh my days, how do these people take themselves so seriously.  I mean I know that's a real title for a real region but come. on.  Nobody's allowed to laugh in his face right?  Like "Hi Aunt Mole"  hee!

• Love 1
(edited)

Amen to all that---why would you WANT to hang with those boring British broads, beyond just getting a dinner and/or drinks invite to their opulent homes?

Okay, so social-climbing is a big deal in London and all women of a certain socioeconomic level are dying to be accepted by the "elite" and get invited to all the best social events and make all the social magazine pages/headlines.

And I could see where that would be very exciting at first for an American lady in London.

But after a while, wouldn't all the posturing and preening and denying your true character/heritage get really old really quick?

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I wonder how Lisa V. from BH and Cat from DC would fit into this group? Lisa's older than these women so I doubt she'd give a shit but I'd love to hear her take on the Brits and Caprice.

• Love 1

I was trying to remember what it was about Caprice that seemed familiar, and then I remembered she was on the Surreal Life reality show.  I remember nothing except that I think she was one of the nicer people.  

Even if the low-born Americans "get a seat at the table," Caroline made it perfectly clear that born an American, always an American, and you'll never really be one of them (and they won't let you forget it).  So I must ask, why bother?  It's all a bunch of bullshit.  I can't stand being around people who are constantly peering down their noses, and it's pitying that these women are approaching middle age and are still so hungry for acceptance in life.  Be yourself.  Surround yourself with people who actually like you and enjoy spending time with you.

• Love 13
I was trying to remember what it was about Caprice that seemed familiar, and then I remembered she was on the Surreal Life reality show.  I remember nothing except that I think she was one of the nicer people.

Thank you! I KNEW I'd seen her somewhere, but could not for the life of me place it. Wow. Too funny. 

I enjoyed the show last night. Yes, some of these women are definitely insufferable, but we've got fresh faces and genuine connections with each other. I'm in.

• Love 1

I wish they had more Brits in the cast - I want to see more over-the-pond fabulousity not more suck-up, wannabe Americans.  The chick from Chicago (brunette, dont remember her name) made some type of comparison re: polo and football back in the States.  She referenced wearing "cheese hats"?  As a foam cheese hat wearing Wisconsinite they only thing I will say is GO PACK !!!!!!

• Love 1
he chick from Chicago (brunette, dont remember her name) made some type of comparison re: polo and football back in the States.  She referenced wearing "cheese hats"?  As a foam cheese hat wearing Wisconsinite they only thing I will say is GO PACK !!!!!!

Was that Juliet? 

Yes, she was acting like Brits are so much more highbrow with their polo matches. I was like - Bitch, please. Have you seen some of the football Hooligans? They get very wild and sometimes downright violent. 

• Love 3

The thing is IME, the Upper class Brits on this show would look down  upon and speak the same way about Brits of lower classes too.

Is the one American renouncing her US citizenship? That's not actually easy to do and she has no reason to. I know many Americans who are now British citizens. The UK recognizes both citizenships while the USA simply ignores the British citizenship. My friends have 2 passports . You don't lose US nationality simply by accepting a British one.

• Love 1

Yes this show seems to be playing the 'us vs them' with us always being better.  'I'm up here and you're down there'...  I can't help it but I liked this silly show!  All the snobbishness, the clothes, the having tea at F&N, the looking down one's nose at lesser people (whether they are or not)  I felt like I was in Ab Fab territory at times ;)  I'm IN!

• Love 4

So Noelle's story line is waiting for her boyfriend of four years to complete his divorce so they can marry.  I guess he's been in jail for trying to hide his assets from the courts and his not-quite-ex-wife?  Noelle, pay attention!  Leopards don't change their spots.  It's not going to be "different this time" just because it's you.

But maybe he is just trying to hide is illegal offshore activities. That is so much better!

Maybe the one renouncing the citizenship is doing so for tax reasons. I would not give up my US citizenship though. Considering that her husband was a big playboy before the got married and is a nightclub owner, I would not be shocked if he got tired of her and divorced her.

Well, I was expecting better. They are definitely betting on the allure of London (and the this season on...) because this was a horrible premiere. Mainly introductions to the women with nothing else happening. I want to like Annabelle because of her fashion connections and because she's selling herself as a more of a tomboy rocker but I think she could be quite annoying. Caroline is just unbearable. She wants to be queen bee but she doesn't have it in her. She's just mean. I can't be bothered to care about Caprice. Juliet looks like she's going to be quite annoying, either because she's ready to play stereotypical American or because she's ready to get into reality tv screaming matches. That leaves Noelle which... no, and Marissa who could be someone I like if she would stop defining and explaining British things. So yeah, I'm hoping Annabelle and Marissa become more watchable as I have no hope for the rest of them. 

When Annabelle, Caprice, and Caroline didn't want to engage and were mocking the Americans, they didn't strike me as particularly British. They just seemed like your run of the mill mean girls, plagued by their own insecurities and barely covering it by deflecting and trying to make other people feel small.

• Love 3

Really, the only one who seemed a teeny bit over dressed was Noelle, with her ostentatious hat. Marissa and Juliet were dressed much in line with the Brits.

I was thinking the same thing. Try, Juliet was wearing crazy shoes, but otherwise she was wearing a very simple day dress. And Marissa seemed casual in a preppy way. I think her outfit would have fit in most places for a daytime event.

Caroline is a bitch. It's amazing how someone "born into society" could be so utterly classless. And not for nothing, she may say that Noelle's "scandal" is what puts her beyond the pale, but their meeting totally reminded me of Gretchen's introduction to RHOC, when Tamra got a first glance at a younger, hotter version of herself and singsonged, "lock up your husbands." And WTF about not being surprised Marissa's husband married an American, as "I'm sure she's amazing in the kitchen." The hell? Maybe she thinks she's witty.

I love how being British is synonymous with not being enthusiastic about anything. Heaven forfend. It would be so much better if any of these women seemed more self-aware, or in on the joke of themselves and/or the show.

• Love 4

Not sure what I think about this one because it's really just the HW in another wrapper in another country.  That Caroline isn't really that attractive regardless of what class she was born into.  I don't like the way Caprice looks down on the Americans.  She's American!! There are a lot of them to keep track of too!!  

I wonder how Lisa V. from BH and Cat from DC would fit into this group? Lisa's older than these women so I doubt she'd give a shit but I'd love to hear her take on the Brits and Caprice.

ME TOO!!!!  Lisa would probably be gracious in her opinion but Cat would be a big bitch about them. 

• Love 1
(edited)
It cracks me up how this show is called "Ladies of London" and yet half of the so-called ladies are American.

It cracks me up how this show is called "Ladies of London" and yet none of the so-called ladies are ladies.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 9

I'm hoping this show doesn't continue to be a British Carlos Mencia joke: Americans talk like this, while Brits talk like this.

I find it ridiculous that the "Brits" thought any enthusiasm about anything is evidence of classlessness. I'm sure high society Caroline uttered a perfectly civil "How do you do" after being presented with her newly birthed firstborn child.

The thing is IME, the Upper class Brits on this show would look down  upon and speak the same way about Brits of lower classes too.

Is the one American renouncing her US citizenship? That's not actually easy to do and she has no reason to. I know many Americans who are now British citizens. The UK recognizes both citizenships while the USA simply ignores the British citizenship. My friends have 2 passports . You don't lose US nationality simply by accepting a British one.

I don't know if this is true everywhere, but my husband has dual citizenship (here and the Dominican Republic) - the last time he renewed his passport, he was made to surrender his Dominican passport if he wanted an American one.  I agree, the US ignores other citizenships and it is still quite beneficial to be able to call on the US Embassy, should the need arise.  I think she's foolish to throw it away like she is.

• Love 1

The Brits vs.  the Americans...where have I seen this before?  Oh yeah, America's Next Top Model.  I'll still watch, though.  I'm a sucker for reality TV, especially some of the British ones.

• Love 1

I'm a little surprised that Bravo didn't shove Cat Ommanny from Real Housewives of DC onto this show.   She seemed to fit this bitchy and proud of it persona that these ladies have.

So far everyone seems to be sooooooo bored with everything.    We'll see how that plays out.  I did enjoy seeing all the London sights for what that's worth.

• Love 2

I kind of like Caroline's form of bitchery, because she's clearly so ridiculous and stuck up her own arse that everything she says is unintentionally hilarious.  I really wanted Noelle to slap that "enthusiastic" look off her face after she threw serious shade about the hat.  

I like Caprice.  Annabelle annoys with the constant Alexander McQueen name dropping.  

I agree, Marissa is a giant bonehead to drop her American citizenship.  I have cousins that are American on their mother's side, English on their father's side, and Australian by birth, but you'd better believe that the passport they travel with is the American one!

As a particularly loud Loud American, even I think Juliet needs to dial it down a few notches.  I call it my "Euro voice" for a reason.  Although she likes South London?  Really?  I mean, Borough Market is FANTASTIC, but the public transit is kind of a nightmare in places.

Aloha all!

I think we all found the late Michael Jackson's nose!  It is firmly (or not) attached to Caprice's face!  Oy vey!

None of these women are likeable in the premiere (well the one married to the club owner isn't too bad), all they are doing is posing and boasting about their either being "aristocracy" or "aristocracy" and the "muse" of the late Alexander McQueen......yikes!

I was really looking forward to this series, but he premiere has me re thinking my viewing it.

• Love 1

Aloha all!

I think we all found the late Michael Jackson's nose!  It is firmly (or not) attached to Caprice's face!  Oy vey!

Aloha koloagirl.  I thought Caprice just had the unfortunate hobby of chasing parked cars.  Or, would that be horse drawn carriages?

I'll keep watching. The scene that irritated me the most was at the polo match when Marissa (? I think?) was asking snotty Caroline questions. Caroline was all "she's such dumb American" and all I could think was " she is just trying to carry on a conversation, honey!" Get off your high horse, it's called conversation.

• Love 5
(edited)

I DO want Bravo to throw in Cat Omanney from Housewives of DC into this bunch!  I totally forgot about her.  Season 2 perhaps? (if there is one).  So far I hate all the ladies but I will keep watching for now.  The 1st episode was just meh but if its going to be an entire season of "Oh look how stupid these Americans are", tres yawn. 

Edited by beesknees

I love how being British is synonymous with not being enthusiastic about anything.

Does this make the British the original hipsters? 

Some of these Americans are acting far too thirsty. I don't even know why anyone would want to run in such rigid, stuffy, humorless circles. I don't see how anyone could be happy where everything you do like the hat wear to an event is criticised. What is even the point? Just to say you attended a garden party with the Earl of Sandwich?

I don't know any of these chicks names yet expect for Caprice (her face is a plastic surgery mess) and Annabelle, who has an old lady wither about her face and body.

Seriously, how aristocratic, noble, or royally connected can any of these women be if there are on a Bravo reality show? Back on TWOP someone allegedly in the know gave a lowdown on all these ladies and the answer seems to be = not much, if at all. Those 2 Brits are probably nothing more than younger, hipper versions of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet). Annabelle's has room for a pony.

Interesting that some wonder how Lisa would fit. I don't think she would be outright reviled or excluded but I also don't think she would be enfolded into the group and welcomed to breath their rarefied air either. She has $$ via owning nightclubs and restaurants which is probably seen as a step above day laborer. As far as I know she has no royal connections and seems a bit flashy and show-offy. I always have wondered about her accent though. Is her accent naturally posh or has she been working on it for years in order to sound that way? I think one of the greatest tells among the Brit elite is one's accents. From what I gather what you sound like, where you went to school along with your connections to a title are the end all, be all. I find the class distinctions and emphasis on title pretty gross but fascinating.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Class, to me, is about how well you treat other people and the ups and downs of life.  It has nothing to do with which family you were born into. 

The ones who go on and on about royals and classes, to me, are without class.  An accident of birth does not make one person better than another.  To believe that it does, and to act on those beliefs in social settings, is completely without real class or grace.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

I'll keep watching. The scene that irritated me the most was at the polo match when Marissa (? I think?) was asking snotty Caroline questions. Caroline was all "she's such dumb American" and all I could think was " she is just trying to carry on a conversation, honey!" Get off your high horse, it's called conversation.

Right!  I was thinking the exact same thing.  Chill out Caroline and quit reading so much into a big bag of nothing.  Its just conversation, small talk.  I mean, what was Marissa supposed to talk about?  Theory of Relativity?  Occam's Razor?  Why would having a general conversation make her a dumb American?  Yeah, I hate Caroline the most.

• Love 4

I am so far entertained and irritated by this show.

The snob of the British women is over the top and ridiculous but entertaining, I wish I was there when they talk about elegance, class, royalty and what not just to remind them that a cheater/adulterer whose conversations about her private parts were all over the news is about to become their queen anytime now, so much for being so proper.

What irritates me is the pathetic behavior of the American women crawling on her four just to be accepted by the Brits, what the hell is wrong with them? Be who you are and make no apologies for it, if these women don't want you around say FU and walk away. I know I would.

• Love 3

I went to school in England so I watched this for the London porn, which was fun.  If I'd been playing a drinking game for every time I recognized a location I would have been plastered!  I don't know if I can stick it out though.  So far all the reactions have been completely stereotypical.  The loud American.  The reserved Brit.  I think self defined 'high society' groups are hard to break into no matter where they are, whether London, Dallas, or Des Moines.  The 'haves' are always desperate to keep out the 'just gots'!

I think self defined 'high society' groups are hard to break into no matter where they are, whether London, Dallas, or Des Moines.  The 'haves' are always desperate to keep out the 'just gots'!

ICAM about this.  & I'm not loving the Brits vs. Americans stereotypes.  I hope we see something different in future episodes.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not sure why the American women want to break into English society.  The nice thing about being an American is we don't have to give a fuck if we're accepted anywhere.  We're American!  (I say this with a tongue-in-cheek yet slightly honest undertone)

• Love 7

Yeah, I'm not sure why the American women want to break into English society.  The nice thing about being an American is we don't have to give a fuck if we're accepted anywhere.  We're American!  (I say this with a tongue-in-cheek yet slightly honest undertone)

It seems to matter more in novels and movies where the characters move from the servant class to the upper class through tawdry "trade" or they're pining for someone on the other side of the class divide. At the very least they could play up the vast difference between the wealth and lifestyle of new money and old money. The thing is, there isn't a big difference between a society party and a Gatsby-style bash. At least, not as much as there used to be. I would make a House of Mirth reference as well but I need to reread it.