Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lisin

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've really come to hate Gregory House. I love Hugh Laurie, but at some point the biting one liners wear on your nerves. There's only so much asshole you can take.

Come sit with me. 🙂 I endured years of House because my brother insisted on watching it. And it should have been right up my alley, but I loathed House himself. I love a lot of terrible characters, but I didn't find him fun or amusing. I just thought he was an asshole and not a particularly interesting one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've really come to hate Gregory House. I love Hugh Laurie, but at some point the biting one liners wear on your nerves. There's only so much asshole you can take.

4 hours ago, Zella said:

Come sit with me. 🙂 I endured years of House because my brother insisted on watching it. And it should have been right up my alley, but I loathed House himself. I love a lot of terrible characters, but I didn't find him fun or amusing. I just thought he was an asshole and not a particularly interesting one. 

I agree. I only made it through a handful of episodes because he was an asshole. 

• Like 3

I used to watch House and kinda liked it until about season 4, maybe 5, I think. I recently started it again on Amazon Prime and barely made it into season 2. There was a humanity to him at the very beginning that seems to disappear fast in favor of more and more outrageous behavior.

Having said that, some of the scenes at the clinic with weird and stupid patients are still rather funny.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, supposebly said:

I used to watch House and kinda liked it until about season 4, maybe 5, I think. I recently started it again on Amazon Prime and barely made it into season 2. There was a humanity to him at the very beginning that seems to disappear fast in favor of more and more outrageous behavior.

Having said that, some of the scenes at the clinic with weird and stupid patients are still rather funny.

To be fair to the show, I don't know what seasons I watched. I just remember never liking the character, but I very well could have only been watching mid to late season episodes. We watched it as reruns rather than in real time. 

• Like 2

I liked House the first year or so when it was all about calling in the misanthrope who had no real interest in helping people, but could be counted on to solve the most difficult medical mysteries because they were interesting. I've always imagined there were people in medicine who were drawn to it mainly for the science and wondered what that would look like drama-wise and House was it.

Then, instead of sticking with that, they made him more and more outrageously assholic until he became a stand-in for viewers who wished they too could do anything they wanted professionally with no consequences. The pill popping, actively messing with peoples' minds for fun, and the endless aggressive flirting with the administrator finally killed it for me after about 4 seasons. Not sorry.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Like 9

I also bailed on House after a few seasons and then went back and watched the finale out of curiosity.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

The pill popping, actively messing with peoples' minds for fun, and the endless aggressive flirting with the administrator finally killed it for me after about 4 seasons.

I finally bounced when they decided to get rid of the old ducklings and replace them with new ducklings but the thing with Cuddy was always pushing me out the door. In fact, she might be worse to me than House.  House worked as a misanthrope asshole doctor. I can believe a genius doctor would be able to keep his job even though he was a jerk.  But having Cuddy all woobie over House made her a terrible administrator and I could never buy she was good at her job because of it. 

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But having Cuddy all woobie over House made her a terrible administrator and I could never buy she was good at her job because of it. 

I fucking hated it that they hooked up.* House was a loathsome character but I still liked the show. He was a drug addict that did the terrible shit to people he supposedly cared about like addicts do. I thought it was interesting as in 'how much do we let someone like that get away with just because they're brilliant'.

*Letting him get way with shit was one thing because he did save patients but having romantic feelings for him, that I couldn't buy.

• Like 6

On 7/21/2020 at 5:47 PM, Camille said:

Not to mention his stalking and harassing of Laura that lasts for a DECADE and culminates in him finally getting her. What a great way to promote this kind of behavior.

I'm joining in with those who hate GH's Carly. I've hated her since she debuted on the show. The sad thing is, in her early years, she had a legitimate streak of vulnerability and self-loathing that kept me from hating her completely, but at some point, that was erased and she became this completely obnoxious bullying bitch who thought she was better than everyone and was ready to get into a fight with everyone. In particular, verbally and physically assaulting any woman who dared to even talk to a man she was involved with or interested in and branding them a slut or a tramp--making her a complete hypocrite too, because if anyone defined the word "slut", it was her.

While arguing with someone on YouTube on the merits of Carly, it occurred to me one of the reasons I hate her but enjoyed Tracy Q and Helena Cassadine, no matter how much they ruined that character. Carly will betray people that she says she cares about and won't apologize, ever even years down the line. The reason why Carly was able to drug AJ was because AJ thought he and Carly were close friends. After Michael was sent to prison, Lulu came to make peace with Carly because Carly blamed her and Dante for Michael going to jail. If she told Lulu to go screw herself and cut of any communication, I would have respected it, instead she lulls Lulu into a false sense of security . When Brook Lynn finally outed the secret, Carly lied and said the reason she plotted against her was because she cared about Lulu, when she wanted to hurt Lulu and Dante. The worst part, she never suffers any consequences for these lies. People, even people she screwed over except for AJ, continue to blindly trust her and help her. 

• Like 3