Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
galax-arena

Race and Ethnicity in the Movies

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How many times are casting people going to look for a British, Argentinian, Japanese person?  (Sonoya)?  How many times are casting people going to look for a Venezuelan, German, Korean person (Fred Armisen for another example)?   How many times are casting people going to look for a Japanese, British, German person (Devon Aoki for another example?)  Basically almost never, which is why Devon's career is what it is.  When they finally do have a piece of text that explicitly makes the character half Korean and half white (TATBILB) I was extremely, extremely shocked that they didn't even bother to cast a multiracial person in the role.  If that's how they're going to cast, it's kind of hard for me to blame Henry Golding for taking that part.  Where the casting people apparently said "We've tested a bunch of people, and you are the ONLY person we want playing this role."

I agree with you 100%. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, aradia22 said:

There aren't a lot of well-known Asian actors so to shift the conversation, for me it's like saying you aren't typically attracted to black women but you think Halle Berry is beautiful. You want a cookie? You don't deserve a gold star for that. I'm not saying that you can't have a type but if you can't see that Halle is beautiful but Lupita Nyong'o, Viola Davis, Queen Latifah, etc. are also beautiful, then I feel sorry for you. Even though rigid ideals of beauty hurt everyone, I feel like society is more accepting of variation the closer you are to the ideal white beauty standard. So if you're white, you can look like Karlie Kloss or Scarlett Johanssen or Ashley Graham or Olivia Wilde or Blake Lively or Emma Watson or Amanda Seyfried or Gal Gadot or Jessica Chastain, etc. and be considered beautiful. 

(Bolding mine) YES you are exactly on the money. The media is saying “POC (and more specifically WOC) can be attractive if they have a hair more melanin than white persons, but other than that must fit Northern European beauty standards as closely as possible”. 

While all of the white women you mentioned are attractive women, the only one who actually “sticks out” as a different beauty standard is Ashley Graham, who’s got a well proportioned “thicker” body often found in women of color. However on Ashley it’s “exotic” (omg I hate that word) when there are millions of WOC who look like that. Of course Ashley is beautiful and I’m not taking anything away from her or her modeling talent. Henry Golding was able to play a romantic lead because he has a lot of facial symmetry and gorgeous muscles. The Asian (or Asian American) version of a Seth Rogen would NEVER get the pretty woman in a mainstream movie. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The Asian (or Asian American) version of a Seth Rogen would NEVER get the pretty woman in a mainstream movie. 

I'm so freaking tired of the schlubby, nothing-looking white guy landing incredibly desirable women trope.  It's still happening in 2019, too.  (As you are mentioning!)

I think that Jaime Pressly is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.  On the show "Mom" (a show I admittedly love) they were floating this subplot of Will Sasso playing a character who was supposedly too good for her.  It made me really annoyed.  The movie "Long Shot" is basically a long form of this.  I think Seth Rogen is cool, and I found him attractive in "The 40 Year Old Virgin" but seriously, this trope makes me really not want to spend money on this movie.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm so freaking tired of the schlubby, nothing-looking white guy landing incredibly desirable women trope.  It's still happening in 2019, too.  (As you are mentioning!)

I think that Jaime Pressly is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.  On the show "Mom" (a show I admittedly love) they were floating this subplot of Will Sasso playing a character who was supposedly too good for her.  It made me really annoyed.  The movie "Long Shot" is basically a long form of this.  I think Seth Rogen is cool, and I found him attractive in "The 40 Year Old Virgin" but seriously, this trope makes me really not want to spend money on this movie.

I know what you mean. I would love if more “average” looking actors (like Seth Rogen types) who are actually talented could get roles in mainstream romantic comedies. And I’d have no problem if “different levels of attractiveness”(which is always subjective) individuals ended up falling for each other. But it’s always the schlubby (didn’t know how to spell that by the way thanks) white man with an absolutely gorgeous drop dead white woman.

Off the top of my head that didn’t do this was Something New , Sana’a Lanthan is pretty, but in a very normal way (if you saw her walking down the street you’d think she was a normal woman), she’s not unusually thin or toned or portioned due to plastic surgery and they paired her with a hot white guy Simon Baker. 

My Mom watched “Mom”- Jaime Priesly is very beautiful! And she’s a blonde thin white woman which means she’s THE STANDARD, who’s this guy that’s “too good” for her? Is he millionaire Jesus?!!

• Like 1

He's just some cop, I think.  Also, in the movie "I Love You Man" Jaime Pressly is paired with Jon Favreau who is not only very average looks-wise, but is a total asshole in the movie.  He has a horrible personality.  

That reminds me of the movie "Chef", where I read that Jon Favreau cast Sofia Vergara as his own ex-wife.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I know what you mean. I would love if more “average” looking actors (like Seth Rogen types) who are actually talented could get roles in mainstream romantic comedies. And I’d have no problem if “different levels of attractiveness”(which is always subjective) individuals ended up falling for each other. But it’s always the schlubby (didn’t know how to spell that by the way thanks) white man with an absolutely gorgeous drop dead white woman.

Off the top of my head that didn’t do this was Something New , Sana’a Lanthan is pretty, but in a very normal way (if you saw her walking down the street you’d think she was a normal woman), she’s not unusually thin or toned or portioned due to plastic surgery and they paired her with a hot white guy Simon Baker. 

But the difference is that if an average-looking white dude gets the hot woman, no one really questions it. But if someone like Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer are cast as romantic leads (and both of them are attractive, IMO), they are criticized on the internet--and even by reputable critics--as their romances being unrealistic. Or they're called brave because they aren't a size 00 and dare to act like desirable, sexual creatures on screen. 

And beauty is subjective, of course, but most of the black men I know find Sanaa really beautiful. 

On 4/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, aradia22 said:

I think there's a kind of exceptionalism. This is a thorny topic to discuss but I think I've mentioned that I wasn't thrilled with his casting because he's Asian but he's Malaysian and half-white.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, NUguy514 said:

I am very much of the opinion that Henry Golding, Chris Pang, and Pierre Png could all completely get it.

I didn't know Henry Golding was Malaysian and biracial. I still think he looks traditionally Asian, although some of his facial features might be somewhat more Westernized. 

Other Asian men I've always found attractive: Jet Li, Bruce Lee (short though he was), and even John Cho, although John's great personality and acting ability also play a role. 

• Like 3

That reminds me of the movie "Chef", where I read that Jon Favreau cast Sofia Vergara as his own ex-wife.

I think Scarlett Johanssen is also his new young love interest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aradia22 said:

I think Scarlett Johanssen is also his new young love interest. 

Of course *eye-roll.* And was Charlize Theron another former love interest?*

*Love both of them, BTW.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Mileage varies, as they say, because I think Sanaa is the hot one and Simon is the schlubby (but too schlubby) one in that combo!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, topanga said:

But the difference is that if an average-looking white dude gets the hot woman, no one really questions it. But if someone like Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer are cast as romantic leads (and both of them are attractive, IMO), they are criticized on the internet--and even by reputable critics--as their romances being unrealistic. Or they're called brave because they aren't a size 00 and dare to act like desirable, sexual creatures on screen. 

I absolutely agree with you! Sorry if that wasn’t clear in my initial post. 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Mileage varies, as they say, because I think Sanaa is the hot one and Simon is the schlubby (but too schlubby) one in that combo!

He’s schlubby now but I think he was hot then. 

2 hours ago, topanga said:

And beauty is subjective, of course, but most of the black men I know find Sanaa really beautiful. 

I didn't know Henry Golding was Malaysian and biracial. I still think he looks traditionally Asian, although some of his facial features might be somewhat more Westernized. 

Other Asian men I've always found attractive: Jet Li, Bruce Lee (short though he was), and even John Cho, although John's great personality and acting ability also play a role. 

All those men are smokin’😍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topanga said:

Of course *eye-roll.* And was Charlize Theron another former love interest?*

*Love both of them, BTW.

Jon Favreau has spent his entire career hooking up with women (on-screen of course) who are way out of his league.

Heather Graham in Swingers

Courtney Cox in Friends

Cameron Diaz in Very Bad Things

Famke Janssen in a couple of films

And the ones already mentioned

• Like 7

7 hours ago, topanga said:

I've only ever heard people thinking Sanaa is incredibly hot.

It's hard for me to agree with people saying someone "looks" Asian or not, be it Mark Paul Gosselaar or Keanu Reeves or Henry Golding because I think it's very very very subjective.  As a mixed race person myself some people know immediately, and some never do.  So I think it's really a toss up whether someone looks mixed or not.  The fact is Henry Golding is and I understand the disappointment of him being cast in that role.  People who are from Asia have a different opinion than North American Asians etc. etc. etc. some people think I look "so white" and some people think I look "so Asian" so those opinions are really moot to me and only the facts are important.

I totally agree with you about women like Melissa and Amy.  There's a lot of pushback when women like that are cast in attractive roles.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Jon Favreau has spent his entire career hooking up with women (on-screen of course) who are way out of his league.

Yup.  And as a director and producer, like the movie "Chef" he gets to decide who he's cast with and of course he picks some of the hottest women in Hollywood.  And of course they are all a size zero or two.

Women like Melissa McCarthy, Gabourey Sidibe, etc. should all have those same opportunities, but unfortunately as of now they don't.  Rebel Wilson tried to take it there, but unfortunately she was so awful towards all the plus size women who came before her and the black women who pointed this out towards her on Twitter that I really didn't want to support her film.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, topanga said:

But the difference is that if an average-looking white dude gets the hot woman, no one really questions it.

Oh, I take issue with it every. single. time.  It drives me crazy.  I hated Knocked Up for so many reasons, chief among which was my total disbelief that Katherine Heigl('s character) would ever, ever fall in love with Seth Rogen('s character).  No way in hell.  The trailer for Long Shot similarly pisses me off because nothing could or would ever make me believe Charlize would fall for Seth.

And Jon Favreau...yeah, he telegraphed what he was all about way back in Swingers.

And I think Sanaa and Simon are both gorgeous, and I love Something New.  Such a cute movie.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rebel Wilson tried to take it there, but unfortunately she was so awful towards all the plus size women who came before her and the black women who pointed this out towards her on Twitter that I really didn't want to support her film.

I understand what you mean. I did see “Isn't It Romantic” and quite enjoyed it but I never forgot about how Rebel behaved. 

At least we got a WOC with Priyanka Chopra Jonas- who actually has great comic timing. I’d like to see her in a romantic comedy. The way she said “Josh” still cracks me up!

There’s a discussion in the “All the Boys I Loved Before” thread regarding casting Jordan Fisher as John Ambrose from Model UN (the original character- books and last shot of the movie was white), and how people would react. For the record I think Jordan Fisher will be awesome in the part!(he’s charming and a real theatre talent) Given Jordan is a black man of mixed heritage people might go up in flames. I wonder if we will see much of John’s life and give him mixed heritage as well. As @Ms Blue Jay has pointed out- actors of mixed race take the parts they can get as roles are rarely written for people of mixed heritage. Jordan isn’t white passing in the slightest so likely they just make the character black. 

I have no issue with Jordan Fisher's casting, but the actor who played John Ambrose in TAtBILB (it was really a glorified cameo with no lines at the very end) was Jordan Burtchett, who is white.  I can see people complaining about the switcheroo there.