Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Faking Up Is Hard to Do

(edited)

I can't help but think the episode title, "Burnt Toast," has something to do with Shane's comment about whol wheat vs sour dough. Karma will decide between Liam and Amy

Edited by Hellfire

Wow Karma's lies kept growing and getting more insane by minute. Figured she would end up with Liam by the end of this episode. She was so desperate to keep her whole happy bubble from busting that she is really being set up for everything to burst next week. Her speech on the school website definitely felt like it had elements of truth to it especially about her confusion. Also interesting contrast between the fake public kiss in ep 3 and this one. Also interesting was she didn't tell Liam the real truth instead opted for a half truth.

Amy was mainly just reacting to the craziness but she really is being put through the ringer. She has to tell Karma the truth about her feelings because she can't keep going through this.

Great seeing Elizabeth again.

That was close to unwatchable.  The show really seems more and more like Liam and Karma's love story with Amy's storyline treated in the most tokenistic of manners.  I detest when shows have a character tell us how another character is not bad.  Thanks screenwriter for having a surrogate try to manipulate me so brazenly.  Next time try for subtlety.  What really hurts is Liam and Karma are such detestable human beings.  Sorry Shane (or I should say sorry screenwriter of this episode).  I am really, really, really getting tired of shows that pander to people that are horribly represented on tv while actually focusing far more on the standard clichéd couple. 

I actually think it's a good sign that Karma and Liam got together in this episode -- I think that makes their relationship more likely to blow up in the next. I really have no idea what's going to happen, though. The only thing I'd bet on is that Karma learns the truth about Amy's feelings in the season finale.

The Tumblr tag is not pleased with how this episode ended, to put it mildly!

• Love 1

Yeah I would have been more worried about Liam and Karma if Karma actually told him the truth. She still is lying about being a lesbian. Plus despite trying to ignore the subject, her kiss with Amy seemed to still be effecting her when she pulled away from the fake PDA in front of the school with Amy.

Yeah, she definitely used to be much more into putting on a show for the school with those kisses. I do think that she felt something for Amy and she's (probably subconsciously) refusing to deal with that by pursuing Liam more fiercely/breaking up with Amy, but I could be totally wrong. I'm just not sure.

The writers are clever -- they started the episode with Amy gleefully telling Shane that Karma felt something when they kissed during the threesome (somewhat wishful thinking?), but she took that all back later when she fought with Karma and realized that Karma had apparently been thinking of Liam all along (more realistic). However, then we got Karma's speech about how she's confused and doesn't want to lose either of them (which hints at her actually feeling something for both), followed immediately by her wanting to break up for real (could go either way -- either she's afraid of her feelings for Amy or she legitimately wants to pursue Liam without having to lie about it anymore). This show could still go anywhere.

• Love 1
(edited)

They're still holding their cards pretty close to the vest. Or Katie is. It's very interesting to me that the two characters are not on equal footing in terms of being POV characters. I think we get Amy's real self while Karma is still managing to hide from us a bit. Clearly she felt something in the threesome, and it's still bothering her, but I'm not sure what exactly. But then I also don't think she knows or understands what she's feeling either. Clearly though she's finally going to have her epiphany next week as indicated in the preview. I hope they get a chance to process it a little and it isn't just a fade to black.

In my experience most shows (though not Game of Thrones, which is a notable exception) use the penultimate episode of a season to set up the finale, so they tend to be lobbed softballs in terms of episodes. I would have liked to have seen more open interaction between Amy and Karma this week, but wasn't really expecting it, having seen tv before.

I can say as a gay viewer I personally don't feel pandered to or manipulated by this show. But then I would find one's first gay crush on a friend going smoothly to be far less realistic than I find a liberal high school in a liberal city, which seems to give so many others pause. I remain, as I have been all season, genuinely curious to see where this goes.

If Karma ends up being the one with a confession to make to Amy, I'll be really impressed and pleasantly surprised by the twist. But even if it's "just" Amy confessing, I'm really looking forward to the catharsis.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 2
(edited)

Uhh Lauren what type of pills is she taking? I'm going to assume they are anti depressants for now.

The whole school basically represents tumblr. They all hate Liam and wants Karmy back together. lol

That kiss totally effected Karma. She usually would go for it.

I still don't hate Liam but blech don't care for him and Karma. The actors have chemistry though. I'm just worried for Amy tbh.

Next week is going to be painful to watch. I always get uncomfortable during PDA's and speeches where a person tells how the other feel. lol I'm such a chicken shit.

Its good to hear that the gay viewers don't feel manipulated or pandered because as a straight viewer I don't want to feel guilty for watching something that might offend one of my gay friends. I quickly gave up on Glee because of how offensive that show is.

Edited by mjgchick

@mjgchick I love that everyone on the show ships Karma and Amy (with the exception of Lauren and Liam, I guess). It really is like Tumblr -- I enjoy the fact that, if you scroll through the Faking It tag on Tumblr, 99% of the fans ship "Karmy" and dislike Liam. It's such a refreshing change from the usual love triangle situation where everyone hates the girl. (Seriously. Even if it's a triangle involving two guys and one girl. I remember seeing posts way back in the days of the Buffy/Angel vs. Buffy/Spike debate saying things like, "I can't stand Buffy but I want her with Spike because that's what he wants.") I've even seen a lot of straight girls shipping Karma and Amy, which gives me warm fuzzy feelings. I think that sometimes I tend to give teenage girls too little credit by assuming that they'll always side with the cute boy in any given story line, but clearly that's not the case.

(edited)

Most media portraits of young queer people have been about the coming out process. Faking skipped lightly over that to tell the story about the other great common experience of young queers :falling for their friend, happily or not. The show has to resolve that in the finale, because leaving us hanging would be both cruel, and also a tad inadvisable given that renewal has not been promised. It’s done, stick a fork in it. So, they need a new plot.

This episode made me acutely aware that there is, in fact another quite common story I have not seen told before. “Doing stupid heterosexual shit due to sexuality angst and the consequences of said stupid shit”.

if Karma got pregnant, that would have had all the foreshadowing. I mean, all of it.Going back to the first episode. And that encounter on the sand? I have this sinking feeling that was not safe sex. Heck, even if Liam, as the teen Casanova he is had condoms on him. They were doing it on *sand*. Sand and barrier methods are not a good idea.

Amy was adorable all episode. Does this need saying? The way she just instantly forgave Karma when Karma made actual amends was wonderful. And I am beginning to really hate ending every episode on a heartbroken Raudenfeld..

In contrast, Liam was so uggh…  I’m trying very hard to not hate him because I don’t want to be that person that hates the character just because they are in the way of my favorite ship, but the way he was sullen all episode did him no favors at all. That is just not attractive. Also, that posse of “hot girls” Lauren pulled together.. Really Liam? None of them were good enough for you? You only find the taken queer girl romantically interesting? That isn’t about Karma, that is wanting what you cant have. Like an overgrown toddler with fantastic hair.

Using the pills as a lever is just. Oh, Shane, no. Those are almost certainly going to be medically indicated. Guessing what they are exactly is a bit of a mugs game, as Lauren seems the kind of person who would hate pity, so it could be nearly anything, I did like that Lauren found a crusade of her own, and while she has ulterior motives, the effect is that she is fighting for her step-sister which is just adorable and funny.

Edited by Izeinwinter

I'm going to pretend that smile on Lauren's face is her being happy for her sister.

You know as much as I'd like to hate Liam I think the writers have done a decent job to make me feel for him. I guess I'm a sucker because I do think he's falling for Karma. I'm probably the 1% on tumblr who doesn't despise Liam. lol Maybe Liam and Lauren can be a thing?

And for hating the person in the middle I try not to hate the person in the middle of a triangle. When I use to watch TVD I was probably the only person who tried not to be angry at Elena because with the crappy writing that show does its hard not to like all 3 of the main characters. Its the same here. I can't hate Karma if she either doesn't know what she's doing to Amy or is confused about her feelings right now. Like others have said she is clearly having issues with the kiss because before that Karma didn't mind the PDA with Amy. (Amy's poor sad puppy face was everything there.)

Katie Stevens does a great job in this role because its like she's playing two different people and it was more evident during that speech she had where we don't know if what she said to Amy was about their friendship or more.

Oh I almost forgot Oliver was having a contest with Amy tonight on who can have the cutest sad panda face ever.

The thing with Karma is, if she really does have feelings for Amy, why would she be scared? It's not like her parents wouldn't be thrilled about her being gay since they already are! She goes to a super liberal high school where everyone is totally accepting of her "relationship" with Amy. So maybe she is actually straight and not confused at all.

Of course, she doesn't know about Amy's feelings so she may be scared about being rejected or about "ruining" their friendship if they ever become a real couple.

I don't know. I go back and forth on her. Is she that unaware and repressed? Is she actually straight? Is she scared of being attracted to Amy because that would change their whole dynamic?

Karma has become the most fascinating character on the show for me. Of course, Amy is still the most adorable and cutest one.

#fakingitconfessions: Oliver makes me a little paranoid they're going to make Amy bi instead of gay, which I'd find disappointing for reasons of over-identification and projection.  Heh.  But also she just seems so damned gay to me, not bi.  I could buy a bi Karma, but I'm on team gay for Amy.

(edited)

I.. have no idea where they are going with Oliver. Is he supposed to be a contrast to Liam? An example that sometimes orientations just do not line up and that can suck? Random cute boy ?

I think it is pretty clear that Amy is not a perfect kinsey six - there have been a few hints dropped with no particular degree of subtlety, but on the other hand she is so into Amy I can't see her going for anyone else, so it isn't like it matters unless the show decides to really push boundries and make them actually poly. which.. Uhm. I'd like to request a major time skip if we are going there. 

Edited by Izeinwinter

Oliver is cute, but I have a feeling if Karma and Amy don't get together next episode, or if Karma rejects Amy, either because she truly doesn't have feelings for her, or she's in denial or whatever, that Amy will use Oliver next season as a fake boyfriend of sorts. He could be a contrast to Liam, showing that, like Liam, he does like the girl but in this case, he won't be getting her and they'll just end up really good friends by the end, if Amy and Karma do have another falling out.

I really do like all the characters, even the most hated Liam. I think he's a normal teenage boy but he also has shown his regrets for being with Karma while she's dating Amy. Sure, he may be kind of an asshole, but Karma hasn't exactly rejected him. In fact, she's pursued him most of the time so he's getting the wrong impression too. Not that I totally blame Karma, because she clearly has gotten herself and Amy and even Liam into this mess. But I do think Liam is partially the problem, but partially the victim, just like Amy is. They're all fascinating characters because they're not just black or white. 

I think I like Karma most of all because she's the most mysterious and complex character. Does she truly have feelings for Amy or is she totally straight? Right now I get the feeling like they could go either way with Karma and they could have her just apologetic that she's been leading Amy on, but she could also harbour feelings for Amy that she's not quite aware of yet. I do get the feeling like she does care for Liam, so they could go the bi route with her, which would be perfectly fine with me. But with Amy, I get the feeling like she is a lesbian and as of right now, they're not showing any hints of her being bi, although it is ambiguous. I like the ambiguity of sexual orientation on this show.

I do wonder what pills Lauren is on. Maybe anti-depressants? I wonder if Shane actually knows what pills she is on, or if Elizabeth just said 'she's taking pills' and they have no idea what they're for. 

Despite me hating that Shane 'outed' Karma and Amy in the first episode, I really do like the guy. He's a great friend to Amy, he has an interesting frenemy relationship with Lauren (ok, mostly enemy but I could see them becoming friends easily once Lauren gets past all this traditional stuff) and he's also a good friend to Shane and he sticks by him, despite him on Team Karmy. I think what's interesting is that Shane and Karma haven't really shared any scenes together, and I would absolutely love to see them talk. Maybe when Karma finds out about Amy's feelings for her, Shane will sit down and have a talk with her.

• Love 1
(edited)

It could be anything. Adderall, thyroid  hormones, growth hormones.. (She is really small) lithium..The list of drugs which she may be obligated to take and feel embarrassed about enough to hide is endless. Trying to use that against her is... pretty darn dark.  Either she has a medical problem she would like to keep private, or an addiction that needs treating. Either case, this is not the appropriate move. Bad Shane, no biscuit. 

Edited by Izeinwinter

Karma definitely felt something during the kiss with Amy or she wouldn't have been so uncomfortable about the kiss for their "fans". She never was before.

She may just chalk up her feelings to just being in the moment and reading nothing deeper into it, but it certainly has made her more uncomfrtable to be affectionate to Amy when she wouldn't have been previously.

I've said this before, but Karma is actually a terrible friend right now. She routinely gets Amy involved in nonsense without her conset or even discussing it with her, she has absolutely no problem with lying about Amy to other people and it took Amy breaking off their friendship to apoligize, which instead of just going to your best friend like a normal human being, she does in public, as part of a ploy to make herself look better and also assure Liam she is still into him.

Just because Amy is a sap doesn't mean the rest of us need to be.

Not sure where they're going with Lauren or even what she was doing yesterday. Was her plan that by getting the hot girls to hate Liam that they would become her friends and thus restore the "natural order" of high school? Seems like a pretty dumb plan, espescially considering none of them seemed to actually like her.

(edited)

I too am curious what pills Lauren is on, but I hope it'll be realistic that those 2 saw her take it repeatedly. Anti-depressives would make an awesome point, but they are not the type of medication she'd have to take while at school. Or maybe we'll never find out, because the point of the storyline is Shane's attempt to fuck her over and next week is the season finale, so not much time for this.

I think it is pretty clear that Amy is not a perfect kinsey six - there have been a few hints dropped with no particular degree of subtlety

I don't know if that's where the show is going. Many people acted/felt straight before they had the "hey, this is not me." realization. That's one reason why I didn't mind Oliver: she liked him, she tried going for it, but the spark wasn't there, and I don't think the show will pair them up for real in season 2. (Which there will be! A season 2! Come on, MTV.)

Karma's insanity was through the roof in this episode. It was hilarious, but also sad. I really liked Amy's "And what does that make me?" though. Never change, Amy!

Edited by Crim

Rewatching, to catch the little details.. When Amy is walking out of the cafeteria, there are a few really quiet comments from the bystanders.
"Aww, poor Amy" and "Hang in there". I had to pause and laugh until I nearly cried. Poor Amy might as well be the title for this show.

Liam Bookers Ex's club look.. really suspiciously like a Benetton ad.  Very similar builds, similar height, every shade of the rainbow... Was he checking off a list or what? That isn't a group that would happen by accident. I am just not sure if this is the show trying to be racially inclusive, is supposed to be indicative of Liam's character, or both. 

That end scene. Karma being insane is pretty.. accurate. Liam is being the least charming we've seen him, but it doesn't deter her at all and talking about making a connection when you lie to him about everything? Is she projecting her relationship with Amy onto Booker, or what because this is just.. Urgh. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I know there are alot of people who want Karma and Amy to end up together but the show actually works better if Karma is straight and Lauren is gay.  It is more true to life.  How many lesbians have fallen in love with their straight best friend and had to pick up the pieces when they didn't feel the same?

Edited by ChaosTheory

If Lauren was gay then this show would be way more complicated than what's going on now. lol. I think you meant Amy though. I won't be angry if Karma ends up straight as I would love for them to bring on that Jasmine girl who Amy had that date with. But Amy has one track mind and its that pretty girl name Karma. lol

I don't know if Karma is insane but I think Amy was right. Karma has the picture of how things should be and has it in her mind what role people should play and she is determined to try to make this come true no matter how much the people don't fit those roles. Of course it is only going to end in disaster for her. Even her apology while probably heartfelt was still her way of keeping this perfect picture where she is popular with the hot popular boyfriend and life long best friend right beside her wishing her all the happiness. She was able to keep this by telling half truths while if she told the real truth it was have done the same thing but she would have lost her fantasy.

In the spec thread, I mentioned that Oliver coming back also means his video lair of the school comes back which could be why he is back. Karma and Liam are having sex at school so maybe footage of this will come out.

(edited)

I know there are alot of people who want Karma and Amy to end up together but the show actually works better if Karma is straight and Lauren is gay.  It is more true to life.  How many lesbians have fallen in love with their straight best friend and had to pick up the pieces when they didn't feel the same?

It is common. However also common are women that are bisexual dating a friend who is a lesbian.  Personally, the show would be a massive letdown if it cops out and makes Karma straight instead of bisexual.  And yes it would be a cop out.  Teen romances have long been about the teen who is in love with the other teen who doesn't notice that the one is really right in front of her.  Classic teen romance storyline.  Why in this case reject it? 

The show doesn't work better by having Karma be straight.  Instead it just becomes the same old same old.  A big snore which kills off several possibilities (for example Amy entering a romance with a woman next season and Karma doing the chasing after Amy). As it is, there was a blatant sign last night that Karma was shaken by the kiss and is aware of being attracted to Amy on some level.  When she has kissed Amy in front of others she has had no problem going for it.  Last night, she did a quick peck as if aware of and scared of an attraction she had not been aware of. 

As for Oliver, the guy creeps me out with the invasive viewing of his schoolmates.

Edited by dohe

The thing with Karma is, if she really does have feelings for Amy, why would she be scared? It's not like her parents wouldn't be thrilled about her being gay since they already are! She goes to a super liberal high school where everyone is totally accepting of her "relationship" with Amy. So maybe she is actually straight and not confused at all.

Coming out to yourself is often just as hard as coming out to everyone else - sure she's already "out" in that sense, but she still thinks of herself as straight and downright boy-crazy.  That is a huge, huge realization for anyone to make even in a supportive environment.  And to add the complications of that she's doing this with her best friend - and I don't doubt for a minute that she is sincere when she says that Amy is the most important person in her life - and doesn't want to ruin the relationship they have, even if she is into Amy and is aware of it, she may not want to act on it.

But I see it as more that she's a mainly straight girl in love with her female best friend AND a boy she's liked for a long time.  It happens.  People develop feelings for more than one person at a time.  And I can see Karma being the sort to ignore the Amy situation and press forward with Liam because it's just so much easier, and she really does like him. 

I really don't think Liam is that bad.  He's clueless, sure, but it's nice to see that he does care about Karma and Amy beyond whether or not he can sleep with them.  I like that the show doesn't fall back on easy stereotypes in general (gay male best friend aside).

• Love 1
The thing with Karma is, if she really does have feelings for Amy, why would she be scared?

A lot of people don't want to be different.  I'm about as out and comfortable irl as I could be and am lucky to work in an entertainment industry where zero fucks are given about one's sexuality, but still I can't say I would have chosen this.  It's still a harder setting on the ol' video game that is life, even if one were to have the approval of one's parents and a liberal highschool.  It's also just scary the first time you have that realization that you don't know your own self as well as you thought you did.  I would think it wouldn't be about the consequences for Karma so much as just the disorienting sea change of looking at yourself through a new filter.

• Love 2

I was so bored and yet the episode seemed to fly by so I'm not sure how I found the time to be bored. My thoughts were basically... yay, Oliver is back! Why don't I care about any of this Amy/Karma drama! Oh, no, Oliver's probably going to be gone again. I think I'm out on Liam. They may have ruined this actor for me. Oh, romantic scene at the end. I'm a sucker for these... even if the worst shows. Preparing to swoon... Wait, why didn't I feel anything. Oh, it's over. OK.