Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Tracie & Sammie

I think it was the part where Sammie created a fake person & then told Tracie that they died & then used a relative's funeral to keep up the deception. That seems pretty strange to me.

That's actually very common with people who've made a fake persona - maybe just for fun, maybe because of the whole "on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog" freedom to explore being someone else - and then don't know how to get out of it.

• Love 2

As for the fake persona, I've seen that before; I just wondered why did it seem so strange to Tracie.

I don't think it was as big a deal for Tracie as Nev tried to build it up after she first met with him. I wouldn't be surprised if her first contact with the producers opened with something like "my agent says I need exposure if I want to get more work and I have this story you might be interested in".

I was really disappointed in this episode (like everyone else, it seems).  I was expecting some twist, like the catfish was a guy or something, and instead got this pathetic girl who was doing this crap for attention...what a shocker!  I hope they stick to romantic catfish in the future.  Those episodes are way more interesting if just for the "wow, these people are morons" factor. 

That episode was horrible. So Nev and Max are just going to hunt down twitter trolls who harass z-list celebrities? And it's supposed to be a shock when they reveal that the internet troll is actually a lonely and weird person in real life? I better stop tweeting mean things to everyone on the Teen Mom cast before they fly out to my town and accuse me of "catfishing."

Ha, this. I didn't think it qualified as catfishing at all - it sounded more like something I'd read about on Fandom Wank (sockpuppet account and cancer? it's a classic!) and it made for a very boring episode since Tracie had most of it figured out already (and there wasn't much to figure out to begin with). The way Nev and Max tried to build up some tension - "Who knows. WHAT. Could be. LURKING. THERE." - and imply that the girl could be DANGEROUS was 100% more ridiculous than usual. And I don't get why they made a big deal out of her following Tracie on Twitter with her lizbian account. So now following someone's very public Twitter account = stalking? rme.

• Love 1

Especially considering to my eye she looked pretty proficient with internet skills and even deducing the "funeral" banner from the back of the car could be zoomed in on, the funeral home information gathered, and then calling the funeral home to get more information.

I didn't see Nev and Max doing anything particularly challenging to find this girl.  I would think had Tracie Thoms really wanted to find her, she seemed pretty resourceful and could have probably done it on her own.

Maybe she has a new project she wanted some early publicity for, get her name and face back out there as a refresher?  Hard to say what motivates people to be on this show.  At least the last couple of episodes haven't been "You're catfish is a WHALE!!!" type of reveal.  Those were getting really old, really fast.  

Oh wow - I had been thinking the SAME thing when I watched the episode.  Tracie had said that she was filming, or had met Sammie while filming some independent movie.  I think it was called Raze or something like that.  She went on to mention the name of the movie like 20 times.  She had said that Sammie would help her publicize the movie, which as an independent film would need all the publicity it could get.  After all, the last thing I remember Tracie in was Cold Case, and that was on CBS, which generally tends to target the AARP crowd.  And not that the people in that age group won't go to see a hip new independent film, they may just be less likely, or less likely to live in the middle of a major metropolitan city where it would even be screened.  Long story short, I think Tracie really needed to get some publicity for the movie, and she needed to target young people.  How better to target young people than to get on a popular show on MTV?

I know I'm a jerk, but I haven't yet gotten tired of the "so you're a 20 year old guy delivering pizzas part time, living in your mothers basement and you're about 50 pounds overweight with a bowlcut, and you think its reasonable that a Mila Kunis lookalike has fallen in love with you, but just hasn't had time to meet in 3 years because her modelling career is just taking off........psych!"

Ahhh, thank you. 

I loved Tracie Thoms in Rent and Cold Case, but I was a little surprised to see her participating in this show. She's no T-Lights, know what I mean? Girlfriend already has a legit career. I saw absolutely no point in her meeting Sammie but even less so given her declarations of concern about the potential danger of the situation.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would be happy to know that I'm not the only person whose mind automatically said "T-Bag" everytime someone referred to that poor kid as "T-Lights"

(edited)

I've interacted with other fans on online fan groups before. Now I have the feeling that some of them might have been "Sammies."

It was cute seeing Nev's girlfriend. I can't help but feel sometimes that Catfish: the TV Show is just a continuation of Catfish: the Movie, and it is all the just the story of Nev's life. We never see Max's wife.

ETA: Sammie posted a blog detailing her experience. It provides a lot of insight into the Catfish process.

Edited by sunrisepink

I've interacted with other fans on online fan groups before. Now I have the feeling that some of them might have been "Sammies."

It was cute seeing Nev's girlfriend. I can't help but feel sometimes that Catfish: the TV Show is just a continuation of Catfish: the Movie, and it is all the just the story of Nev's life. We never see Max's wife.

ETA: Sammie posted a blog detailing her experience. It provides a lot of insight into the Catfish process.

Wow, that really does show how much of the show is setup, the part that got me was this

"The day that I met them, I had to pretend that I was coming from a bus stop; That I had just taken the bus. The reality was that the cafe was down the street from where I lived. Why couldn’t I have said that I just walked? I still dont get that."

They felt they had to fake her coming on a bus? Why? It just seems like a ridiculous thing to fake to me, & it really makes me wonder about everything else we see.

They felt they had to fake her coming on a bus? Why? It just seems like a ridiculous thing to fake to me, & it really makes me wonder about everything else we see.

How about all those SHEDS from season one?

I couldn't believe from that blog how much they coach the Catfish! Telling them to act nervous, let Nev talk them into coming, etc. Also, Sammie replied to someone on Twitter that she made $2000 from being on the show. When the person asked her if it was worth it she said "no." She, of course, still thinks she is the victim in all this.

(edited)

I didn't see season one, what sheds?

Ah, Thus The Sheds, as I said on TWOP.

Several catfish on season one didn't want their house (or maybe just the inside of the house) to be on TV so Nev and Max would go knock on the front door, make a big deal about going around the back/side of the house and then bang on the door of one of those temporary Home Depot sheds - and out would emerge the catfish!  As though they actually LIVED in these fucking sheds.

Edited to add: you have GOT to see season one of this show.  It is mesmerizing.   Seasons one and two are out on DVD and plus MTV re-runs episodes all the time.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

Ah, Thus The Sheds, as I said on TWOP.

Several catfish on season one didn't want their house (or maybe just the inside of the house) to be on TV so Nev and Max would go knock on the front door, make a big deal about going around the back/side of the house and then bang on the door of one of those temporary Home Depot sheds - and out would emerge the catfish!  As though they actually LIVED in these fucking sheds.

Edited to add: you have GOT to see season one of this show.  It is mesmerizing.   Seasons one and two are out on DVD and plus MTV re-runs episodes all the time.

That's so strange, I wonder why sheds?