Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny & Jason: The Divorce Showdown

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Someone here alleged that "forgery", not "fraud. They said that Bethenny claimed someone "forged" her signature and if that were the case, someone would have been arrested/charged with a felony/crime.

If you forged something you committed fraud.  I don't have any knowledge of what happened but it sounds like incompetency at best, fraud at worst. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Leroux said:

I am not a notary but I doubt that you can get a license without knowing specific rules.

Mrs. Hoppy surely had to know that she should not have notarized anything for her son, especially when it involved financial gain for him. I am sure all notaries have to pass some kind of test to be certified or have a license to notarize. 

https://www.nationalnotary.org/file library/nna/reference-library/notary_code.pdf  (National Notary Code) 

II-B-5: Notarization for Close Relative Improper

The Notary shall decline to notarize the signature of a close relative or family member, particularly a spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, son, daughter or grandchild of the Notary, or a stepchild, stepsibling, stepparent, step-grandparent or stepgrandchild of the Notary.

Illustration: The Notary is asked by the Notary’s father to notarize a document that specifies desired medical treatment in the event the father becomes unable to make such decisions. The Notary is not mentioned in the document.

The Ethical Imperative: The Notary declines to notarize and asks the father to have a Notary who is unrelated and truly disinterested notarize the document. It will thereby be rendered less open to challenge and the charge that undue influence was exerted on the signer by a family member.

https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2014/10/faq-where-can-notaries-use-their-commissions 

This link is about notarizing out of state documents. Carole was not allowed to notarized anything outside of Pensylvania and she knew it. 

Don't you have to take a basic test to be able to notarize? I mean if it was that simple every body would be a notary, right? 

At any rate the judge had the final word so he found the trust to be invalid due to the many irregularities, that is not up to interpretation. 

Just think, you got that from an internet search...if only someone like Carole could have been bothered as well lol

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

Bethenny met Jason the same month she went into business with Kanbar November 2008.  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/bethenny-frankel-sued-by-manager-187292  So she would not have been promoting Skinnygirl prior to its production.

This is true, they met for the first time in the same month that Bethenny (after having tried for months and months and even having to hire a firm to make it possible) finally had a meeting with David Kanbar. This is the origin of the first lawsuit against Bethenny, the firm sued her because they were able to secure the meeting with Kanbar after months of negotiations. 

But by Bethenny and Jason own admission their relationship was not a serious relationship until June of the next year, they had agreed to still see other people and have other options, it was Jason who said he had to put his foot down and force her to choose. Bethenny chose to take Jason with her on this trip to Turcos and Caicos (at the beginning of June) and this is the trip that Jill was so upset about and had driven Bethenny crazy because she wanted to go.  That was the trip that sealed their relationship and made it exclusive. 

David Kanbar is a mogul of the alcohol industry, for him to even accept to have a meeting with Bethenny that meant that Bethenny already had a viable product, he would not meet with her just to discuss ideas or ifs. Bethenny had already come up with the product, produce it on small scale and had a small line of production and distribution. Remember Jill charity event where Bethenny stocked the bar with SGM? that all happened when Jason hadn't met Bethenny. Bethenny needed David Kanbar to take her product to the next level and expand her production line. 

SGM was going to happen whether Jason was in the picture or not. Matter of fact it was at the insistence of David Kanbar that Bethenny was forced to have Jason signed the prenup. Mr. Kanbar saw through Jason's real intentions before even Bethenny, he wanted to protect the SGM products and he was savvy to do that, if it wasn't for him Bethenny would have never been able to sell her line of cocktails because Jason would have had a say in it and that would have complicated things. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lemons said:

Every state is different. Common sense would tell you to check before you do something out of the ordinary like notarizing in a different state. Also most states don't allow you to notarize a document where you might stand to benefit. 

Also there's no reason for Bethany to know all these rules, that's what the lawyer is for. The trust should have been executed in his office with a notary working for him with two disinterested witnesses. Every page should have been initialed. 

I don't agree that someone would have been arrested if there was fraud. The Trust was deemed invalid, that was the goal.  It's tough to prove fraud and probably not worth it  

My mom is a notary in MA and when I needed something notarized, she lamented the fact that she couldn't do it for me - and also mentioned that she shouldn't anyway because we were related. I certainly thought this was something a notary would know, but the lawyer absolutely should have. I mean, come on, that's why you hire a lawyer - to worry about that shit for you. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Otherkate said:

My mom is a notary in MA and when I needed something notarized, she lamented the fact that she couldn't do it for me - and also mentioned that she shouldn't anyway because we were related. I certainly thought this was something a notary would know, but the lawyer absolutely should have. I mean, come on, that's why you hire a lawyer - to worry about that shit for you. 

I was a notary a million years ago when I lived in Texas. Worked at a bank and had to become a notary to work there. I remember almost nothing about the actual process of becoming a notary, except for the strongly worded directive that I was only licensed in the state of Texas. I remember because my family and friends in Oklahoma were bummed. Not sure what they were wanting me to notarize for them, but I was really glad I had a real reason to not do it. Some of those people were/are trouble. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Leroux said:

SGM was going to happen whether Jason was in the picture or not. Matter of fact it was at the insistence of David Kanbar that Bethenny was forced to have Jason signed the prenup. Mr. Kanbar saw through Jason's real intentions before even Bethenny, he wanted to protect the SGM products and he was savvy to do that, if it wasn't for him Bethenny would have never been able to sell her line of cocktails because Jason would have had a say in it and that would have complicated things. 

Thank you. This gets to the heart of the matter. That is really why Beth will always be a little special to many of us. We saw it all at the beginning. We saw her hustle. Her struggle. We all know how hard she worked to make it all happen. 

• Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, QuinnM said:

It was her (ex)manager who sued her.  The partner in Canada was part of the Beam deal.  Unless your saying Kanbar sued her but I'm not seeing anything when I google that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/bethenny-frankel-sued-by-manager-187292

Bethenny had the idea of Skinnygirl and through her old manager (raw Talent, Doug Wald) she was introduced to Kanbar and the two of them began bottling Skinnygirl with a Canadian bottler.   Bethenny had promised to pay Raw Talent 10% and went back on her word.  The plan was find someone to bottle the swill and capitalize on Bethenny's fame and cash out two years later.  Bethenny followed this plan almost to the letter.   The company in Canada was just a bottler-not a partner or owner.  At the end of Season 2-the party was a benefit for Creaky Joints and Bethenny didn't even have the logo for Skinnygirl.  Kanbar is American.  His uncle, Maurice Kanbar, who developed Skyy Vodka is from the bay area. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Leroux said:

This is true, they met for the first time in the same month that Bethenny (after having tried for months and months and even having to hire a firm to make it possible) finally had a meeting with David Kanbar. This is the origin of the first lawsuit against Bethenny, the firm sued her because they were able to secure the meeting with Kanbar after months of negotiations. 

But by Bethenny and Jason own admission their relationship was not a serious relationship until June of the next year, they had agreed to still see other people and have other options, it was Jason who said he had to put his foot down and force her to choose. Bethenny chose to take Jason with her on this trip to Turcos and Caicos (at the beginning of June) and this is the trip that Jill was so upset about and had driven Bethenny crazy because she wanted to go.  That was the trip that sealed their relationship and made it exclusive. 

David Kanbar is a mogul of the alcohol industry, for him to even accept to have a meeting with Bethenny that meant that Bethenny already had a viable product, he would not meet with her just to discuss ideas or ifs. Bethenny had already come up with the product, produce it on small scale and had a small line of production and distribution. Remember Jill charity event where Bethenny stocked the bar with SGM? that all happened when Jason hadn't met Bethenny. Bethenny needed David Kanbar to take her product to the next level and expand her production line. 

Bethenny met Jason and Kanaber the same month December 2008.  It was Raw Talent that arranged the Bethenny/Kanbar meeting hence the lawsuit. That was the point of the lawsuit without Raw Talents introduction and connection Kanbar would most likely not have met with Bethenny.  Bethenny did not even have her trademark logo at the time of the Creaky Joints event in May of 2009.  Kanbar had the Canadian connection.  So Jason and Bethenny were very much an item when the Creaky Joints event occurred-it was just not on TV as Bethenny was fake milking having been rejected by Jason C. 

I agree SGM were on the road to production.  It is very practical and advisable for anyone in a business partnership to have a pre-nup.  Why would a business partner want to get bogged down in legal issues should the marriage become a divorce?  It is not about the person the other is about to marry it is just common sense.    There was no way Bethenny would have even considered marrying Jason without a pre-nup.  Jason and Bethenny were very much married at the time of the sale to Jim Beam and on the show it was very much about Jason helping and no mention of the partner.   I don't think Jason helped.   Jaosn said, "you are a very rich lady," to which Bethenny replied, "we are."  SO much for that. 

• Love 7

Thank you. This gets to the heart of the matter. That is really why Beth will always be a little special to many of us. We saw it all at the beginning. We saw her hustle. Her struggle. We all know how hard she worked to make it all happen. 

Yeap. She was on her way with SGM, Jason was just lucky enough to hitch a seat on the ride.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, robroy said:

She was already pregnant while living in the one bedroom. That's when they filmed the imfamous pee on a stick scene.

OT but I just heard a great podcast (kate casey i think?) with the guys who produced her spinoff.  One told a story about being the first person B called upon finding out she's pregnant.  Apparently she was freaking out because the show was supposed to be a sex and the city theme and she thought she was screwed before filming.   Puts the pee stick scene in  perspective!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Bethenny had the idea of Skinnygirl and through her old manager (raw Talent, Doug Wald) she was introduced to Kanbar and the two of them began bottling Skinnygirl with a Canadian bottler.   Bethenny had promised to pay Raw Talent 1-5 and went back on her word.  The plan was find someone to bottle the swill and capitalize on Bethenny's fame and cash out two years later.  Bethenny followed this plan almost to the letter.   The company in Canada was just a bottler-not a partner or owner.  At the end of Season 2-the party was a benefit for Creaky Joints and Bethenny didn't even have the logo for Skinnygirl.  Kanbar is American.  His uncle, Maurice Kanbar, who developed Skyy Vodka is from the bay area. 

Bethenny came up with the idea and entered the show determined to have a platform to promote it wayyyy before she met Jason. She was with Jason Colodne when she started promoting her bakes and cookies, it was season 1 when she ordered her first SGM on screen, she came with the concept, she went to every store to try to get them to prepare her cocktail, may failures, many tears, many rejections, it wasn't until Frangelico agreed to have her cocktail on the line that Bethenny managed to drag every one of her coworkers to Frangelico just so she could order her cocktail. She worked tirelessly to create the buzz for it. Whether her cocktails during that charity event had a logo on it or not, the fact is that they already were bottled and she managed to produce at least 20 boxes of it and have signage to promote it (big source of riff between Bethenny and Jill).  Plus she already had two bestsellers under her belt. 

That charity event happened at the beginning of October 2008, Mr. Hoppy was not even in the picture. Bethenny had her meeting with Mr. Kanbar at the beginning of November (according to lawsuit files) and then towards the end of the month she met Jason at an event where she was signing and promoting her cocktails for Tenjune. 

Bravo had their season 2 reunion in March and by April there were already rumors circulating about Bethenny getting her spin off show, it was going to be like a "Skinnygirl in the city" as someone mentioned above, nobody knew about Jason, her friends didn't even knew his name, they called him Mr. Tenjune.  

Bethenny already had 2 bestsellers, had a deal with Mr. Kanbar to expand the production line and make it profitable and sell it to a big liquor company and had already been offered a spin off , all of that on her own without any help from Mr. Hoppy. It was a huge mistake that Bethenny didn't look into Jason's ulterior motives. She fell for it and she is now paying for it.

• Love 6
(edited)

As a CURRENT notary in VA.

I've abbreviated the process to:

Check ID, Verify Identity, Notarize, Keep log.

Granted I'm not called on too often to notarize and it's almost always the same type of docs that I need to notarize but to be honest I sign whatever docs are in front of me and all I've ever done was verify the signers identity. Never have I checked to see if the documents have to do with business in another state and now that I think of it the advisors here do business in many different states so who knows? I don't review the paperwork. It's an official looking document that needs a notary seal.  I trust that the advisors know what they are doing and are confident my notary will serve their needs.

All I know is that I would have never thought to check about the state thing because I'm under the impression that my responsibility stops at verifying the person is who they say they are. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Granted I'm not called on too often to notarize and it's almost always the same type of docs that I need to notarize but to be honest I sign whatever docs are in front of me and all I've ever done was verify the signers identity. Never have I checked to see if the documents have to do with business in another state and now that I think of it the advisors here do business in many different states so who knows? I don't review the paperwork. It's an official looking document that needs a notary seal.  I trust that the advisors know what they are doing and are confident my notary will serve their needs.

All I know is that I would have never thought to check about the state thing because I'm under the impression that my responsibility stops at verifying the person is who they say they are. Nothing more, nothing less. 

CURRENT notary as well.  I also did not know about the state issue.  My understanding is the same as yours: verify signatures.  Also, we can perform marriages and administer oaths.  I know about the oaths because it is something I do regularly, but I don't know that everyone is up on that issue as well.  I agree there needs to be more training.  I do not think there was some deep, dark plot to get over on B while Ms. Hoppy sat back snickering and rubbing her hands together.  It seemed to be an honest mistake.  I also would not have notarized something like this for my son because of the conflict, but the state issue is new to me.  Years ago I notarized bank documents for all over the US, never had a problem.  

Who knew we could learn something useful from Real Housewives!!  And my husband thinks this is a useless waste of time.  I guess THIS will show him!!!

• Love 6

I do not think there was some deep, dark plot to get over on B while Ms. Hoppy sat back snickering and rubbing her hands together.  It seemed to be an honest mistake

I think that too.  There was discussion in the appeals court that decided this about where things were signed.  The statement that Bethenny had never been to the lawyers office was a big point but I don't know why.  She has said that she thought and was told that this trust agreement insured that if anything happened to her that Jason and Bryn would not have to move from the family home.  It was not her intention to give him half of the value of the home.  She is saying that the lawyer lied and that the notary issue was his fault as well.  Quite frankly there are moms that would just notarize it based on their son asking.  And Bethenny is not suing the mom or Hoppy.  But it might be that the lawyer will use them as his defense.  And I'm sure she knows that. 

Now Jason's big screaming thing in front of the school was about all her expensive lawyers.  So I think this weights heavy on him.

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Normades said:

CURRENT notary as well.  I also did not know about the state issue.  My understanding is the same as yours: verify signatures.  Also, we can perform marriages and administer oaths.  I know about the oaths because it is something I do regularly, but I don't know that everyone is up on that issue as well.  I agree there needs to be more training.  I do not think there was some deep, dark plot to get over on B while Ms. Hoppy sat back snickering and rubbing her hands together.  It seemed to be an honest mistake.  I also would not have notarized something like this for my son because of the conflict, but the state issue is new to me.  Years ago I notarized bank documents for all over the US, never had a problem.  

Who knew we could learn something useful from Real Housewives!!  And my husband thinks this is a useless waste of time.  I guess THIS will show him!!!

Woah, really?

I guess my point is that I've minimized the process so I don't find the need to memorize, study, and refresh myself on the details every month. I remember going over the required reading thoroughly to make sure I understood what was expected of me.  I made sure I took my time reading the material but I also made sure that I was clear on the details that I felt were the meat and potatoes and what I would be using it for. I felt confident that in a nutshell what it boiled down to was I had to make sure that I needed the person PRESENT. That they needed to PRESENT me with proper ID and that I kept a log. There were other details and precautions that were outlined that I committed to memory like keeping the stamp secure and not accessible to anyone else. That it was the notaries responsibility to keep the stamp from being inappropriately used by someone else.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Bethenny came up with the idea and entered the show determined to have a platform to promote it wayyyy before she met Jason. She was with Jason Colodne when she started promoting her bakes and cookies, it was season 1 when she ordered her first SGM on screen, she came with the concept, she went to every store to try to get them to prepare her cocktail, may failures, many tears, many rejections, it wasn't until Frangelico agreed to have her cocktail on the line that Bethenny managed to drag every one of her coworkers to Frangelico just so she could order her cocktail. She worked tirelessly to create the buzz for it. Whether her cocktails during that charity event had a logo on it or not, the fact is that they already were bottled and she managed to produce at least 20 boxes of it and have signage to promote it (big source of riff between Bethenny and Jill).  Plus she already had two bestsellers under her belt. 

That charity event happened at the beginning of October 2008, Mr. Hoppy was not even in the picture. Bethenny had her meeting with Mr. Kanbar at the beginning of November (according to lawsuit files) and then towards the end of the month she met Jason at an event where she was signing and promoting her cocktails for Tenjune. 

Bravo had their season 2 reunion in March and by April there were already rumors circulating about Bethenny getting her spin off show, it was going to be like a "Skinnygirl in the city" as someone mentioned above, nobody knew about Jason, her friends didn't even knew his name, they called him Mr. Tenjune.  

Bethenny already had 2 bestsellers, had a deal with Mr. Kanbar to expand the production line and make it profitable and sell it to a big liquor company and had already been offered a spin off , all of that on her own without any help from Mr. Hoppy. It was a huge mistake that Bethenny didn't look into Jason's ulterior motives. She fell for it and she is now paying for it.

Bethenny was always about promoting her brand.  Skinnygirl, premixed drinks though didn't really evolve until Season 2.  I always wondered why she was so angry at Luann over Skinnygirl-it was never about the drink-Luann was good about ordering it and did call it Skinnygirl-it was always about the idea Bethenny had to have a bottled ready to pour drink with fewer calories.  Bethenny in her rage at Luann stated it poorly and should have explained why she was offended. 

Bethenny had her spin-off and I agree it was to be about her looking for Mr. Right or whatever.  I do believe that Bethenny at the time wisely hid her relationship with Jason as her part of the partnership is she would through her celebrity would promote the Skinnygirl cocktails.

I have a hard time saying Jason contributed nothing as he was a major part of the show, the fairytale.  There were some scenes, in retrospect I am sure Bethenny regrets where it was portrayed as Jason being helpful.  The one I recall is the two of them flying in a private jet to Canada to up the production of Skinnygirl because demand exceeded the product.  Bethenny thanked Jason for his help and wisdom.  In reality it was probably Kanbar and the "can't keep it on the shelves" was just a well thought out marketing campaign.  Maybe for PR purposes it would not seem all that novel if Bethenny essentially partnered with someone and used the show as her bidding to sell off Skinnygirl.  I don't hold it against her but there was never a mention of a 50% partner during the run of the show.

I don't know that Jason had ulterior motives. Most people want to share their success with their spouse.  It just became this check off list-vacations weren't vacations they were work.  Were Jason and Bryn paid?  The product could have gone bust like several of her other businesses and she would be a reality star and author.  I do think he felt a little used and discarded.  He was around before the product took off and they do have a child together.   Jason was integral part of the Bethenny spin-off.  I just don't think Bethenny grasps that people-especially spouses and their families are not fungible.  She thought nothing of sending a letter and essentially telling him to clear out and leave the child.

• Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, Leroux said:

I am not a notary but I doubt that you can get a license without knowing specific rules.

Mrs. Hoppy surely had to know that she should not have notarized anything for her son, especially when it involved financial gain for him. I am sure all notaries have to pass some kind of test to be certified or have a license to notarize. 

Professionally- I always worked in design, construction, & project management. A huge number of contractors, subcontractors and architects run businesses with multiple family members present and frequently its with the wife being the office manager/bookkeeper/money person. I've seen wives/mothers/children notarize stuff left right and center. And half the time the financial gain/obligation was partly their own. They are not actually validating that the contract is/is not compliant- they are only validating that persons A & B presented ID to say they are who they claim.

I've also come across different licenses/certifications where some states accept reciprocity and others expect a new application (and/or retesting) to allow practice. You really have to stay on top of this type of thing because it is not always as clear cut.

ETA- the original spinoff was going to be Bethenney (or Single) in the City as someone mentioned but the SATC folks quashed that. Irony being we had Candace Bushnell herself show up in scenes at the start of this season. I also remember Sarah Jessica Parker on an early WWHL. She was asked if Beth was just like Carrie and her response was an immediate no but that one scene of Beth getting out of her town car to call/text Jill wearing a full red Chanel suit against a green tree/plant lined area was very much a Carrie aesthetic.  

Edited by robroy
  • Love 3

That is where I think Jason made a huge mistake. Had he been the supportive husband that he portrayed to be on screen Bethenny would had put the world at his feet. His insecurities got on his way.

He got resentful of her success and being known as Mr. Frankel. His ego couldn't take it and that is when he started snipping at her and using her childhood traumas to punish her for his lack of success in a very passive aggressive way. He started demanding and by the looks of it (trust for the apartment) he was not the most honest person. He probably felt the marriage was not going to last and decided to take matters into hands in the event of the divorce. He hit the lottery (financially) and was not about to let that go. 

I hate to think that he got with her since the get go just to hitch his start to hers but it really looks like that. Bethenny is strong and business minded but emotionally she was extremely needy, she wanted a family ( of her own, not his) and she craved for a child, it was the perfect ground for Jason. There are many husbands who support their wives on their rise to fame and success, they take a step back and support from the sidelines just like many wives do. Jason didn't want to be on the sidelines, he wanted to be a partner, even when he didn't know much about the alcohol industry, he wanted to direct her staff, Bethenny wanted to make him her CEO, he didn't want that, he wanted to be an equal partner and that was not going to happen. He got extremely irritated at her when she told him that one way or another if he chose to work for her she would be in charge. 

Jason has too traditional vision of what a wife should be, he is going to be the perfect husband for some Hazleton girl who will let him take control of everything. He should marry of a girl from his hometown and live happily ever after. Instead he has chosen the path of destruction and harassment  that will not end well. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Leroux said:

That is where I think Jason made a huge mistake. Had he been the supportive husband that he portrayed to be on screen Bethenny would had put the world at his feet. His insecurities got on his way.

He got resentful of her success and being known as Mr. Frankel. His ego couldn't take it and that is when he started snipping at her and using her childhood traumas to punish her for his lack of success in a very passive aggressive way. He started demanding and by the looks of it (trust for the apartment) he was not the most honest person. He probably felt the marriage was not going to last and decided to take matters into hands in the event of the divorce. He hit the lottery (financially) and was not about to let that go. 

I hate to think that he got with her since the get go just to hitch his start to hers but it really looks like that. Bethenny is strong and business minded but emotionally she was extremely needy, she wanted a family ( of her own, not his) and she craved for a child, it was the perfect ground for Jason. There are many husbands who support their wives on their rise to fame and success, they take a step back and support from the sidelines just like many wives do. Jason didn't want to be on the sidelines, he wanted to be a partner, even when he didn't know much about the alcohol industry, he wanted to direct her staff, Bethenny wanted to make him her CEO, he didn't want that, he wanted to be an equal partner and that was not going to happen. He got extremely irritated at her when she told him that one way or another if he chose to work for her she would be in charge. 

Jason has too traditional vision of what a wife should be, he is going to be the perfect husband for some Hazleton girl who will let him take control of everything. He should marry of a girl from his hometown and live happily ever after. Instead he has chosen the path of destruction and harassment  that will not end well. 

Okay that just made me spit coffee all over my computer screen...

• Love 3

What is really funny to me is how there was so much insistence that Bethenny owed her success to Jason, it was said many times that Jason got Bethenny the SGM deal and I LOL 

After the divorce Bethenny has kept on moving, she has gotten more endorsement deals, she has sponsored other products, she is still making money and now investing in real state and soon will be on Shark Tank. What has Jason done since the divorce? 

Professionally absolutely nothing, he just can't stand that he doesn't have what it takes to be successful in the business world. He should have accepted to be Bethenny's CEO and that would had been the highlight of his professional career, instead he tried to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs and ended up shooting himself in the foot. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

What is really funny to me is how there was so much insistence that Bethenny owed her success to Jason, it was said many times that Jason got Bethenny the SGM deal and I LOL 

After the divorce Bethenny has kept on moving, she has gotten more endorsement deals, she has sponsored other products, she is still making money and now investing in real state and soon will be on Shark Tank. What has Jason done since the divorce? 

Professionally absolutely nothing, he just can't stand that he doesn't have what it takes to be successful in the business world. He should have accepted to be Bethenny's CEO and that would had been the highlight of his professional career, instead he tried to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs and ended up shooting himself in the foot. 

I can only speak for myself but I don't think Bethenny owed her success to Jason, I do think he contributed to her success.  We will never know how much the marriage and baby and television show of their life together contributed to the enhance of the Skinnygirl empire.  When she was broke she spoke of wanting to be married and have children and if the husband didn't come along she would want a child.  She obviously wants a romantic partner because she has said she is now "open for business". 

I don't know if Jason can be successful in business he may have decided to put parenting ahead of work.  Just because he is silent doesn't mean he hasn't done anything.  When I think of a CEO I think of a person that is in charge -not some figurehead taking orders from someone.   Everyone has limits when it comes down to how much of themselves they are willing to give up to appease a partner be it business or personal.  I think once Bethenny made it and made it really big there was no need for Jason.  At best he is kind of bland.  Obviously if Jason wanted to be in the public eye he could have accepted any offer giving him a television show or interviews. 

• Love 7

Without other character of Jason, the fairy tale husband in BGM and BEA, SK would have gone the way of Bethenny Bakes, the nannying, the actressing, the pashminas, the special events firm she had in LA, the talk show and every other hunk of spaghetti that didn't that stick to the wall. 

Speaking of Bethenny Bakes, Louis Lazinnaro, a very close associate of Bethenny's father- was close to Bethenny in the BB days. Fast forward...to LL's wife Stephanie on Bethenny's talk show in a spot where Bethenny is taking a woman entrepreneur and launching this woman's great idea out of the goodness of her heart. So Stephanie and LL who own a shi shi restaurant in tony Saratoga Springs and have enough money for racehorses, a big house and designer clothes, get their cheesecake into Junior's via Bethenny's "help" from the show. Such a shit show of lies and politics and connections as Bethenny is snowing the audience that she is pulling a lady entrepreneur up by their bootstraps. I am sure the cheesecake are awesome and all...................Fake fake fake fake.  Find a single mother who needs this money to survive Bethenny. Not your Dad's friend who has already a lot of privilege to launch if you're being authentic.  She might be snowing the Skinnygirl audience but not me. Not now not ever. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Without other character of Jason, the fairy tale husband in BGM and BEA, SK would have gone the way of Bethenny Bakes, the nannying, the actressing, the pashminas, the special events firm she had in LA, the talk show and every other hunk of spaghetti that didn't that stick to the wall. 

Speaking of Bethenny Bakes, Louis Lazinnaro, a very close associate of Bethenny's father- was close to Bethenny in the BB days. Fast forward...to LL's wife Stephanie on Bethenny's talk show in a spot where Bethenny is taking a woman entrepreneur and launching this woman's great idea out of the goodness of her heart. So Stephanie and LL who own a shi shi restaurant in tony Saratoga Springs and have enough money for racehorses, a big house and designer clothes, get their cheesecake into Junior's via Bethenny's "help" from the show. Such a shit show of lies and politics and connections as Bethenny is snowing the audience that she is pulling a lady entrepreneur up by their bootstraps. I am sure the cheesecake are awesome and all...................Fake fake fake fake.  Find a single mother who needs this money to survive Bethenny. Not your Dad's friend who has already a lot of privilege to launch if you're being authentic.  She might be snowing the Skinnygirl audience but not me. Not now not ever. 

Curious assessment. 

Luann had the whole DeLesseps last name behind her, a count whose family gave the US the statue of Liberty but she could launch a successful product to save her life. What about Sonja Morgan and her very powerful last name and connections, same situation, plenty of connections yet no successful products. Mrs. Zarin also had plenty of connections in Manhattan and plenty of influential friends, same results, no successful products to speak off. Kelly Bensimon and her famous husband probably also tons of connections and yet no products that were launched. Carole who is a famous journalist and already had a best seller and the Kennedy connections but yet hasn't been able to translate that into a fortune. 

If it was just connections and politics that was needed then ALL of these women would have had even more success financially than Bethenny as a result of the show, yet that hasn't happen with any of them. 

Very curious indeed 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

Curious assessment. 

Luann had the whole DeLesseps last name behind her, a count whose family gave the US the statue of Liberty but she could launch a successful product to save her life. What about Sonja Morgan and her very powerful last name and connections, same situation, plenty of connections yet no successful products. Mrs. Zarin also had plenty of connections in Manhattan and plenty of influential friends, same results, no successful products to speak off. Kelly Bensimon and her famous husband probably also tons of connections and yet no products that were launched. Carole who is a famous journalist and already had a best seller and the Kennedy connections but yet hasn't been able to translate that into a fortune. 

If it was just connections and politics that was needed then ALL of these women would have had even more success financially than Bethenny as a result of the show, yet that hasn't happen with any of them. 

Very curious indeed 

Not quite, Luann did launch a clothing line that is still sold on EVINE today and is launching a home goods line, only her jewelry line was a failure. Did she do it at the same level Bethenny did, No, but she was/is still successful nonetheless. And by the same measurement, Bethenny is not as good a business woman as Heather was/is. Heather did not need this show to launch her own clothing line, while Bethenny needs this show so much she had to come back after vowing to never return when she left because her SKG sales down.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AnnaL said:

She would have been a major success without him.

• Love 5
(edited)
34 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

Curious assessment. 

Very curious indeed 

Luann has successful products.  She has a line of linens coming out this fall.  She launches a line of something that is for a season, summer dinnerware, winter clothing line and when it has run its course it is over and she moves on to something else.  So we will see how her linen line goes on Evine. I will say her vodka went nowhere.  Sonja can't get out of her own way.  Kelly has jewelry on HSN from time to time.  Lisa Rinna has huge success on QVC but she was on before her RH days.  The RH just increased her exposure and sales.  Even Skinnygirl has its fairshare of products that fizzled make-up, luggage various flavors of different items.

Bethenny and Kandi Burruss are stand alone in their ability to take their RH notoriety and turn it into gold.  One hundred RHs and two runaway successes.  Of course was already a successful performer, song writer and producer.  Her sex toy line is very, very successful. Both were able to get a products into a market where the concept was underutilized.  Ready made cocktails for Bethenny and Tupperware style sex toy parties for Kandi. 

2 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

I have a question-hasn't Junior's been famous for cheesecake for over 50 years?  Was it just one flavor?  Is it still there?

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Luann has successful products.  She has a line of linens coming out this fall.  She launches a line of something that is for a season, summer dinnerware, winter clothing line and when it has run its course it is over and she moves on to something else.  So we will see how her linen line goes on Evine. I will say her vodka went nowhere.  Sonja can't get out of her own way.  Kelly has jewelry on HSN from time to time.  Lisa Rinna has huge success on QVC but she was on before her RH days.  The RH just increased her exposure and sales.  Even Skinnygirl has its fairshare of products that fizzled make-up, luggage various flavors of different items.

Bethenny and Kandi Burruss are stand alone in their ability to take their RH notoriety and turn it into gold.  One hundred RHs and two runaway successes.  Of course was already a successful performer, song writer and producer.  Her sex toy line is very, very successful. Both were able to get a products into a market where the concept was underutilized.  Ready made cocktails for Bethenny and Tupperware style sex toy parties for Kandi. 

I have a question-hasn't Junior's been famous for cheesecake for over 50 years?  Was it just one flavor?  Is it still there?

Juniors have several flavors of cheesecake now, the also now sell on QVC. LOL

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

Curious assessment. 

Very curious indeed 

Actually Luann has had a number of successful products- they are just not at the Skinny Girl, Spanx, Goop level of business. Jill had a couple of successful things- she actually worked for some company like Hanes or Leggs prior remarriage and RH and did a line of shape wear during the show. Kelly had a book that did pretty well before joining the show but most assume the show was something she did on the way down not up. I would not call this a lack of success compared to 95% of business people or authors. As for Sonja- she's burned every bridge she had and her ex supposedly wouldn't piss on her if she were on fire.

What Beth did best is play the reality TV game better than 90 something percent of other reality folks. She had an in on the apprentice and came out of that 2nd. She had babysat Paris Hilton and is friends with her aunt so she walked into RHONY with a plan and partners in place. Along the way she had hustle, more than a little luck and one once in a lifetime deal. But that doesn't mean no one else had success. I'm not even sure Jason had an entrepreneurial bone in his body & never got why Beth wanted to wrangle him into her business. But he could still be aces as far as sales.

I actually think Heather is Beth's equal in terms of success- better at business but not as lucky with marketing. And she set her course before she entered RH.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

C. 

In answer, yes, It was just one flavor on the Bethenny In Your Business segment and I don't know. Bethenny hooked up the wife of her close friend who was also her dad's close friend, with Alan Rosen of Juniors who said he would help her perfect the recipe and put her on QVC. Juniors is also on QVC but I don't know if they added Stefanie Lazzinnaros cheesecake to their line or if it was just a one off.   I'd have way more respect for her putting a very needy woman with a good idea in the Bethenny in your business segment (you know like she says she started out) than a wealthy personal friend. 

All the RHONY have connections, esp Jill Z she's a "CONNECTA" don't ever forget! But Bethenny denies and eviscerates her connections right and left and claims shes clawed her way to the top on her own. 

• Love 7

Why would this decrease his custody with Bryn? This doesn't involve her, it is between the 2 questionable adults. Jason has not done anything to Bryn or else Bethenny would have filed for "sole" custody again.

Sometimes things spiral out of control.  Some women would just skip straight from crazy emails to a RO and then custody hearing.  But all along Jason has been given options.  Bethenny may just be waiting for a guilty verdict. So now he said no to a single misdemeanor and anger management.  Now he goes to court.  Worst case he leaves convicted of a felony.  A felony that involves threats to the mother of the child.  Now if he had settled perhaps none of the actual verbiage of the emails would be in evidence.  But now with this felony the actual threats are out there.  If Bethenny really wants Bryn all to herself then she takes it to court and shows that he is threatening her with the child.  And just like that his custody is changed.  It happens all the time because sometimes one of the parents is an arrogant bully.  They think that every thing that happens to them is the fault of their ex.  They just don't see their contribution.  So yes his losing in court at this point is a big deal.  He is risking custody.  And if he takes her to court for more support after the conviction he is a true idiot.

• Love 5

I think the poster was trying to say that B was presenting it as a charitable act where she used her business acumen to assist random fellow female entrepreneur with her product. In reality the woman was a wealthy business associate of Bethenny's who got a tv plug and great marketing gimmick i.e. everyday woman with a dream.  I didn't see the episode, just my understanding of the post.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He will not be convicted of a felony because all the charges against him are misdemeanors.

Unfortunately we have all been bad bad little posters. This stuff is spread out over the seven seas.  But I believe in the last episode thread someone looked up all the charges and included links to the various statues etc. There is in fact one felony charge. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

That's not the issue. Hoppys mother was in another state, a state where she is not registered as a notary. The content of the documents wasn't relevant. 

Plus why would anyone take their notary seal with them out of state?

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Inspectabecky said:

I think the poster was trying to say that B was presenting it as a charitable act where she used her business acumen to assist random fellow female entrepreneur with her product. In reality the woman was a wealthy business associate of Bethenny's who got a tv plug and great marketing gimmick i.e. everyday woman with a dream.  I didn't see the episode, just my understanding of the post.

Yes. Given her self professed committment to Dress For Success I would have expected Bethenny to help struggling new business owners and momtrepreneurs not her long term multi millionaire pals. I wondered if it was the show was tanking and she was all "f*** it I'm gonna help my friends from now till the end!" 

2 minutes ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Yes. Given her self professed committment to Dress For Success I would have expected Bethenny to help struggling new business owners and momtrepreneurs not her long term multi millionaire pals. I wondered if it was the show was tanking and she was all "f*** it I'm gonna help my friends from now till the end!" 

There was one a week while the show aired. So depends on how many of B's friends were baking pies.   Something like 30 weeks.   It was a regular segment. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

There was one a week while the show aired.   It was a regular segment. 

Am aware of that. Thanks. I am too lazy to determine if her friend toward the end of the show's run, wondered if she added her friend toward the end to help her out. 

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI

He will not be convicted of a felony because all the charges against him are misdemeanors.

I brought the post over.  So yes a felony and 2 misdemeanors.

I was curious and looked into these charges. Apparently, Jason got a $2000.00 bond.    Aggravated Harassment in the first degree, harassment in the second degree.  Apparently, there is some question about the constitutionality of New York's penal code.  I don't know much about that..  Here's a link about  it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/05/13/new-yorks-aggravated-harassment-statute-is-unconstitutionally-overbroad-and-vague/?utm_term=.42ab5d651366

Explanation of the statues:

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-york-law/new-york-harassment-laws.html

Aggravated Harassment in the First Degree is a Class E Felony.  

Harassment in the Second Degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

Here's 4th Degree Stalking. It's a Class B misdemeanor. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, robroy said:

Professionally- I always worked in design, construction, & project management. A huge number of contractors, subcontractors and architects run businesses with multiple family members present and frequently its with the wife being the office manager/bookkeeper/money person. I've seen wives/mothers/children notarize stuff left right and center. And half the time the financial gain/obligation was partly their own. They are not actually validating that the contract is/is not compliant- they are only validating that persons A & B presented ID to say they are who they claim.

Really stupid to notarize something you have an interest in. If Hoppys mother has been more aware of the regulations, Jason may have owned half of the property. Who wants the validity of a contract or a trust be decided on a flawed notarization?  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Really stupid to notarize something you have an interest in. If Hoppys mother has been more aware of the regulations, Jason may have owned half of the property. Who wants the validity of a contract or a trust be decided on a flawed notarization?  

You do understand that all notarizing does is signify that the document was signed in the notary's presence and that John Doe is John Doe by the measure of this state, such as ID types, etc? It doesn't mean you are endorsing the actual contract or saying the content is valid. It simply means that the identities of people signing have been authenticated. We see this constantly for pay apps, contracts and the like. In my state there is no law that a notary can not notarize a document for a relative or business where the person/relative has a share.

• Love 11

Well, Carol is a notary in PA.  She can notarize out of state documents.  The problem in this case is that both parties admitted that the documents were not signed in PA.  And that was the problem with her 'notary' of the documents. 

Notaries are witnesses of signatures and verification of identity.  I've signed legal NJ documents with an out of state notary.  I've signed NJ documents in NJ as an out of state resident that have been notarized by a NJ notary.

There is no law in PA that specifically states that a relative cannot notarize a document.  Carol was not a direct beneficiary of that document.  Laws pertaining to notaries vary from State to State.  Someone posted earlier that all you had to do to become a notary was to fill out an online application and send your check.  That's not exactly true.  For instance, in NJ (as a former notary) you have to have that application signed by a State Legislator before you can submit your application.  In PA, you have to take and pass a four hour course (there is an exemption for notaries prior to a certain year.  Sorry, I can't remember the exact year).

Yes, Carol Hoppy made a mistake.  I believe that this was all it was.  Jason needed documents notarized.  Mom was coming to town and she notarized the signatures.  I do not believe that Bethenny's signature was 'forged'.  I think that was a Beth on one of her rolls throwing that out.  Beth lucked out that her lawyers found the loophole regarding the notary.  I also think Beth knew exactly what that trust was about.  Wasn't it her friend the one who was designated the 'trustee' and I find it hard to believe that at that time, when they were both still happy together, that Jason was trying to play funny business.  If it was all about Beth owning the apartment, why didn't she have her own attorneys handle it all?  She apparently had them given the Beam deal, her father's estate, etc.  JMHO. 

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, robroy said:

You do understand that all notarizing does is signify that the document was signed in the notary's presence and that John Doe is John Doe by the measure of this state, such as ID types, etc? It doesn't mean you are endorsing the actual contract or saying the content is valid. It simply means that the identities of people signing have been authenticated. We see this constantly for pay apps, contracts and the like. In my state there is no law that a notary can not notarize a document for a relative or business where the person/relative has a share.

There can still be a conflict of interest if the notary has a financial interest in the document.  There might be a financial incentive for the notary to claim the document was signed in her presence when it wasn't.  Why take the chance of being accused of that?  

Texas, for example, allows notaries to notarize for family members but states: "There is no specific prohibition against notarizing a spouse's or relative’s signature or notarizing for a spouse's business. However, notarizations should not be performed by a notary public who is a party to the instrument or financially or beneficially interested in the transaction. The facts in each situation will determine whether the notary’s action was proper." I would guess the other states that don't outright prohibit it put up the same precautions.

It's bad practice and asking for trouble. 

31 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I do not believe that Bethenny's signature was 'forged'.  

If they had a disinterested Notary, there would be little question on Betheny's signature.  The fact is Jason's mother has no credibility, so there will always be the question on whether Jason and his mother committed forgery.  

• Love 7
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Lemons said:

There can still be a conflict of interest if the notary has a financial interest in the document.  There might be a financial incentive for the notary to claim the document was signed in her presence when it wasn't.  Why take the chance of being accused of that?  

Texas, for example, allows notaries to notarize for family members but states: "There is no specific prohibition against notarizing a spouse's or relative’s signature or notarizing for a spouse's business. However, notarizations should not be performed by a notary public who is a party to the instrument or financially or beneficially interested in the transaction. The facts in each situation will determine whether the notary’s action was proper." I would guess the other states that don't outright prohibit it put up the same precautions.

It's bad practice and asking for trouble. 

If they had a disinterested Notary, there would be little question on Betheny's signature.  The fact is Jason's mother has no credibility, so there will always be the question on whether Jason and his mother committed forgery.  

The only one who questioned Beth's signature was Beth.  That was not what the judge's decision was about.  It was about a document that was notarized by a PA notary that wasn't, as admitted to by both Beth and Jason, signed in PA. 

What TX law is doesn't matter.  I brought up NJ because someone posted something that doesn't pertain to all fifty States.  Just like TX doesn't pertain to all fifty States.  It's State law as it pertains to notaries.  Not federal.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 6

I actually think Heather is Beth's equal in terms of success

I'd say Beth is a few laps ahead of Heather. And both of them are laps and laps ahead of most of the other women when it comes to being entrepreneurs.

The intersection of greed and stupidity with regards to Jason and Momma Hoppy.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

The only one who questioned Beth's signature was Beth.  That was not what the judge's decision was about.  It was about a document that was notarized by a PA notary that wasn't, as admitted to by both Beth and Jason, signed in PA. 

What TX law is doesn't matter.  I brought up NJ because someone posted something that doesn't pertain to all fifty States.  Just like TX doesn't pertain to all fifty States.  It's State law as it pertains to notaries.  Not federal.

This wasn't in response to your post. It was about another post about notarizing for family members. It's allowed in some states, but not recommended if the notary has an interest in the document. 

My point about Bethany claiming forgery.  It's not about a judges decision. It's more about public opinion. She states she didn't sign it and Jason and his mother would be the only ones who witnessed her signature. Jason's mother has a reason to lie. Jason has a reason to lie. It gives Bethany's claim more weight. 

• Love 4

But doesn't make it true, imo.

The campaign to villafy the Hoppy is really becoming ugly.

I can understand part of the animosity against Jason but the venom directed at the Hoppy in particular is crazy.

Were they ever convicted of any crimes ever?

Are they under investigation of any kind?

I heard that Beth hired some big shot PR firm so that might explain some articles and other stuff but come on now, it is simply wrong.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

The campaign to villafy the Hoppy is really becoming ugly.

I can understand part of the animosity against Jason but the venom directed at the Hoppy in particular is crazy.

As with most topics on these threads, mileage varies and all that.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, QuinnM said:

I brought the post over.  So yes a felony and 2 misdemeanors.

Jason is charge with Harassment in the first degree-a B Misdemeanor and fourth degree stalking- a B misdemeanor.  I believe the poster was quoting an article that had nothing to do with Hoppy's case.  http://people.com/celebrity/bethenny-frankel-ex-jason-hoppy-court-appearance-stalking-harassment-charges/  He turned down a deal which would have left with a violation (no misdemeanor) but it would make the temporary restraining order permanent.

• Love 7

Nonsense. People are being accused without any proof.

It is character assassination, there are no mileage here.

I feel sorry for them. 

Nah, I still feel mileage does vary. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Love 8