Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny & Jason: The Divorce Showdown

• Start Topic

Considering that Jason is every bit of a manipulative narcissist as Bethenny is, I don't see why that should entitle him to something that he didn't earn. Bethenny had business partners that played a huge role in her success. She was already well known for both her books and her reality television persona.Skinny Girl would have taken off with or without Jason. 

Besides, didn't they have a pre-nup? Why should he be entitled to any monetary gain outside of what he signed on for? I could understand him getting consideration for any boost that he gave to her "life style" brand. The books and appearances that she made after they married, the promotional events that all centered around the whole "you can have it all" fairy tale should definitely be taken into consideration because their marriage helped sell that. If Jason took a financial hit because he quit his job to play along with the BRAVO fairy tale, he should also get financial consideration for that. But, when it comes down to it, Skinny Girl did not need Jason. I think it would have been just as successful if Bethenny had done a spin off as a single woman who just launched a company that was starting to really take off. 

And considering that he is now drawing this out to damage the Skinny Girl Brand so that Bethenny will pay him off, I don't see why Jason deserves anything from the Skinny Girl brand. Especially since it is a brand that was built by a lot of hard work and hustle on the part of people besides Bethenny without him. This is all just my opinion of course, since I don't know the details of their pre-nup and my perceptions are completely colored by what I saw on the shows and the stuff in the media.

• Love 5

I get what you're saying but I don't see it the same way. I view Bethenny as a much more horrid person than Jason. She was also the executive producer of BEA, so I take everything with a grain of salt. I think Skinnygirl would've been successful to a degree, since she was gaining momentum on RHONY, but BGM & BEA helped to put her in a more favorable light, it gave her far more exposure and people really did buy into her "you can have it all" "place of yes" bs because of her new image of a successful wife, mother, entrepenuer. Jason was integral in that. Could it have been anyone in that role? Sure. But he helped create her post RHONY brand- not SG, but the Bethenny brand and that's why I believe that he's entitled to a piece of the pie.

• Love 3

What exactly has Jason stated publicly to damage Skinny Girl?  His wife filed for divorce asking for the moon, sole custody, child support, health insurance, life insurance, the family home.  He filed a response.  I do not recall one article where Jason has even spoken about the divorce or Bethenny.   Maybe his wife should have filed for a divorce more in keeping with the spirit of cooperation or the pre-nup.  You can't blame a guy for asking for joint custody of his child.

One never knows exactly what led to the popularity of Skinny Girl.  Bethenny's was a upstart brand when she met Jason, at the time of their marriage Skinny Girl was a partnership with Bethenny and Kanabar.  How is Bethenny Bakes doing?  Her business venture prior to meeting Jason.  How about her talk show - during the pilot season she was the happy married lady. When it was picked up Bethenny tanked as single Bethenny.  I am not suggesting that Jason was the reason for her success but she sure seemed to enjoy a lot of success when she was married to Jason. Before and after-not so much. She received immense free publicity and exposure during the reality show that co-starred Jason.  At the very least Jason is entitled to what the pre-nup allows.  Most of these contested court battles have far more to do with the interpretation of the pre-nup  and accounting and distribution of the assets.  Bethenny had her day in court and to me-her zeal to limit Jason's input in their child's life has a far more negative effect on her brand than anything Jason has said or done.

Bethenny had total creative control in her spin-off.  It was her choice and her choice alone to show herself in an unflattering light.  Redemption of her persona should not be Jason rolling over and giving in to her demands.

• Love 7

I think Skinnygirl would've been successful to a degree, since she was gaining momentum on RHONY, but BGM & BEA helped to put her in a more favorable light, it gave her far more exposure and people really did buy into her "you can have it all" "place of yes" bs because of her new image of a successful wife, mother, entrepenuer. Jason was integral in that. Could it have been anyone in that role? Sure. But he helped create her post RHONY brand- not SG, but the Bethenny brand and that's why I believe that he's entitled to a piece of the pie.

I don't think that Bethenny Ever After helped put her in a favorable light at all. But, I do agree that the books, Place of Yes and You Can Have it All, and all of the stuff that she launched, during  her marriage to Jason, were instrumental in launching her lifestyle brand. Which is why I think that if Jason is wanting compensation for her lifestyle brand, he is entitled to that. But, Jason had nothing to do with building or launching the Skinny Girl Brand. I just don't see how he is entitled to that.

"Bethenny Bakes" is just another example of Bethenny trying to get a business off the ground. It doesn't discount her hustle, or her drive, or the fact that Jason had nothing to do with Skinny Girl. It only means that Bethenny tried a business and it didn't take off.

Jason chose to include himself (as well as his unborn child at the time) on a reality show just like Bethenny did. Jason chose to include his parents and friends on a reality show, just like Bethenny did. Jason chose to include his newly born child on a reality show (just like Bethenny did). Jason chose to leave the court proceedings of his custody hearings public, just like Bethenny did. 

I honestly see no difference between Bethenny and Jason. Except that Jason was better at being the person who was much more suitable for television. At least Bethenny was upfront about her ridiculousness. Jason hid his ridiculousness to the point that I could only see him in the same light as Bethenny. Except, he wouldn't own his behavior. 

Was Jason fundamental to the success of SGC because he made Bethenny marketable? Did her marriage contributed to her financial success?

I am not even going to point out Jason's allegations that he helped her launch her cocktail company because as Wendy already pointed out that is easily verifiable and contradicted by evidence. I will just go with facts that are easy to prove.

Bethenny's partnership with Kanbar happened before Bethenny and Jason ever met each other, Kanbar is a well known investor in the spirit business, if he didn't see the potential in Bethenny's cocktail, it would have never happened for Bethenny. She would have been like many of the other housewives who have a cocktail, wine, sangria, vodka, etc, but no renown investor to back them up. Bethenny would have never been able to take her cocktail to the next level and Kanbar would have never been interested in such partnership. Kanbar provided the experience and his credibility on the line and Bethenny put the product and her exposure on TV, both elements were key for this unique situation, Jason has nothing to do with this as he was not even part of the equation back then. Whether Bethenny married Jason or not her cocktail was going to be successful, at the end of RHNY season 3 her popularity was very strong and she was still not married.

If likability and popularity can be automatically be translated as millions and millions of income, then how come not even one Bravo housewife has been able to replicate the Bethenny formula? Lisa V is extremely popular so is her husband , but she hasn't accumulate millions upon millions because of Bravo exposure, she was millionaire before and she is in better shape now , her restaurants are great but VB was already succesful before the show, she has a sangria that was produced last year so unless a deal is in the making to mass produce that product I say Lisa has done extremely well but nowhere close to the financial deal of Bethenny and Beam.

How about Teresa? Before the indictments, she was very popular and her fans one of the most fanatics and vocals of the bunch, that of course translated in terms of book sales and her cocktail sales but then again, has it provided her with millions? Has it produced a spirit company interested in buying it? Not that I know off

Other housewives have tried to peddle everything and anything with little success if you ask me, but not one of them has been able to imitate the formula whether they were likable or not, whether they were popular or not, so to attribute Jason's appeal to her financial success is not reasonable, if all they needed was a wonderful husband to create a financial empire then lets go and take a look at Kim Zolciac, before she married Kroy she was one of the most hated Bravo HW, Kroy in fact has been fundamental to make her more likable to the point that most viewers of her show have all forgotten about Big Poppa, not only that but she has adorable children, I mean that has been a 180 degree turn in her TV persona and that has only been possible through the presence of Kroy in her life, the perfect example of a guy who can claim that his presence in fact had a positive impact in her TV career, yet where are the millions? Where is the Beam deal? Kim was promoting for a while a couple of flavored cocktails? Has anybody heard of them? Why not? Her husband made her likable Isn't that all that is needed to successfully get yourself a business deal of a Beam nature?

The fact that Jason is trying to claim that is him who helped launch the product or made it profitable by making Bethenny likable is petty and ridiculous, he is not acknowledging or trying to dismiss all the hard work and financial planning that when along in the success of this product, he wasn't there when Bethenny was paving the streets getting rejection after rejection, he wasn't there when the product was taking off and being produced by a small company giving Bethenny probably endless sleepless nights, he came at the last miles of a marathon and wants to claim credit just because he was there for the photo op? He signed a prenup , he should honor his signature.

• Love 14

Skinny Girl experiences a 23% decline.  Jim Beam blames it on the weather  http://www.beveragedaily.com/Manufacturers/Skinnygirl-cocktail-sales-growth-slims-down-23-for-Beam-Inc and is hopeful Bethenny's talk show will create interest.

All I know about Bethenny is she was sued for failing to give a commission to her former agent who fostered the introduction to Kanabar.  After much bluster and name calling and "my attorneys will beat up your attorneys" smack, Bethenny wrote a check.  So when I read Bethenny has hustle she also uses (quite wisely apparently) accomplished experts to guide her along.   So I do think Bethenny has a history of forgetting those who helped her along the way.

I don't think there are many celebrities real or scripted that have enjoyed the success that Bethenny Frankel has in the food and beverage arena, based on her branding of her Skinny Girl brand.  The only one that over shadows it would be Paul Newman food brands but then again he was Paul Newman and he donated post tax profits to charity.  There will probably never be another Bravolebrity that soared the way she did. Teresa Giudice had a good run with the cookbooks but I don't think her beverage line faired well. I do think other Bravolebrities have used their fame and exposure to grow their on-going businesses, most notably Lisa VanderPump, Kandi Burriss and to some extent I believe Mauricio Umansky start up real estate company has done very, very well with over $700,000,000.00 in sales ( I don't know how much of that had to do with his media exposure due to his marriage to a RH but he and Kyle aren't divorcing.)

The public through court filings knows only one thing-Jason did not accept Bethenny's settlement offer nor did Bethenny accept his offer.  We do not know why he didn't accept it, if he is even asserting any type of additional money due to his alleged participation in the Skinny Girl sale.  All we know is they have not come to terms and the weather and perhaps the acrimony surrounding the divorce is not good for Skinny Girl alcoholic beverage sales. 

The danger in tying a person so closely to a brand is that public support can rise and fall with the events in their lives.  Paul Newman being the exception -the public continues to buy his products long after he has left us.

I do remember that event. At the end of it Ramona and Simon with his red pants danced, lol

So this investor gives him the money to pay for his lawyer? Then when he gets his settlement he gets his money back plus a percentage of the settlement? Isn't that what shark loans do? Instead of the title of his car he is signing off a percentage of his settlement, right?

I am still confused though, I thought that Bethenny was court ordered to pay his lawyer fees by the judge, there were articles about it, so if she is paying for his lawyer fees why does he need an investor?

Yes, she was court ordered to pay his lawyer's fees to the tune of 100k and if the separation of assets goes longer and longer the judge probably will order her to pay the lawyers from the settlement he will receive.

IMO the investor is not to pay his lawyer fees but mainly to support his standard of living. I assume that before moving out Bethenny was the one paying for the apartment's mortgage and the utilities, among several maintenance payments that living in such a exclusive area entails. With Bethenny moving out of the apartment I also assume that Jason has to cover now those expenses and with his regular job, the job he always had for the last decade because unlike some myth Jason never quit his job to work for Bethenny in any of her ventures, he refused to work for her, he just can't afford it.

The weekends off , the golfing trip with his frat boys and his trips to Hazelton twice a month I bet those are kind of expensive as well, so this is why I am more incline to believe that this "investor" is someone who is bankrolling his life style rather than lawyer fees. I am now curious to find out who this investor is.

• Love 1

Just to be flip, doesn't this mean Jason can never prove he helped make it popular? ;)

Honest question. In these types of proceedings where does the burden lie? Does Bethanny have to prove that Jason wasn't instrumental or does Jason have to prove he was?

Just to chime in and say that I don't think comparing Bethenney's success to other HW's is apples to apples. I'll give B all the credit in the world for bringing SG margaritas to market. I thought it was brilliant (at the time) but it was hers from the get-to. Theresa, Ramona, etcs., in many instances, just provide publicity to someone else's product. So B. does get props from me for that. Do I think Jason contributed to ther success of it? Somewhat, but I think it's more of a contribution the brand, support to Bethenney and some logistical support that we saw on TV. They presented as a team on TV and if so, he should be compensated for that, but maybe not to the tune that his lawyers think he should get. But the biggest mystery to me is why on  Bethenney Ever After, I felt like now that she had so much control over her life and the show, she choose to come across as such a stark raving bitch. I've never seen anyone destory their own reputation the way Bethenney did. Despite being up on criminal charges, Theresa G. is still likable to me. Frankly, once I saw Bethenney tell her friend that if anything happened to her and Jason, she wanted the friend (or was she an assistant?) to take Brynn because she would take her out for ice-cream and get her nails done. WTF? Nothing about the Hoppys or next of kin? And without consulting Jason? It was weird. If my spouse had done that, rest assured the shit would have hit the fan.  Trust me, I was her biggest fan until that season.

• Love 3

I don't think that Bethenny Ever After helped put her in a favorable light at all. But, I do agree that the books, Place of Yes and You Can Have it All, and all of the stuff that she launched, during  her marriage to Jason, were instrumental in launching her lifestyle brand. Which is why I think that if Jason is wanting compensation for her lifestyle brand, he is entitled to that. But, Jason had nothing to do with building or launching the Skinny Girl Brand. I just don't see how he is entitled to that.

I think that Jason is going after that--the SG brand--because it has net the most money. I think the other lifestyle items, while experiencing some modicum of success, has not reached the level of the SG brand, which means less money to ask for by Jason. Jason is showing now that he's going to hold his hand out like the proverbial gold digger who expects that "his presence alone" (tm Jay Z) is worth the money he had no hand in.

Skinny Girl experiences a 23% decline.  Jim Beam blames it on the weather  http://www.beveraged...23-for-Beam-Inc and is hopeful Bethenny's talk show will create interest.

This article is from nearly a year ago.  I wonder if SG is still losing sales.  Does it have to do with Beth's image or increased competition & poor marketing?  Still think Beth cut the court proceedings short cuz it would have slaughtered her image.  Not that it's anything so great to begin with, but I'm sure Jason had his share of ugly accusations to throw out there.

Just to chime in and say that I don't think comparing Bethenney's success to other HW's is apples to apples. I'll give B all the credit in the world for bringing SG margaritas to market. I thought it was brilliant (at the time) but it was hers from the get-to. Theresa, Ramona, etcs., in many instances, just provide publicity to someone else's product. So B. does get props from me for that. Do I think Jason contributed to ther success of it? Somewhat, but I think it's more of a contribution the brand, support to Bethenney and some logistical support that we saw on TV. They presented as a team on TV and if so, he should be compensated for that, but maybe not to the tune that his lawyers think he should get. But the biggest mystery to me is why on  Bethenney Ever After, I felt like now that she had so much control over her life and the show, she choose to come across as such a stark raving bitch. I've never seen anyone destory their own reputation the way Bethenney did. Despite being up on criminal charges, Theresa G. is still likable to me. Frankly, once I saw Bethenney tell her friend that if anything happened to her and Jason, she wanted the friend (or was she an assistant?) to take Brynn because she would take her out for ice-cream and get her nails done. WTF? Nothing about the Hoppys or next of kin? And without consulting Jason? It was weird. If my spouse had done that, rest assured the shit would have hit the fan.  Trust me, I was her biggest fan until that season.

Bethenny said she would always show the actual reality as long as she was on a reality show. And that is exactly what we saw. Her marriage was falling apart and we witnessed it. Some saw it as her fault and some blame him. And one or two (haha) blame both. If Bethenny had hid everything and acted like the perfect wife, employer, entrepreneur on TV......everyone would have asked for her head on a stick.

Moral of the story........just say no to Reality TV :-)

• Love 3

This article is from nearly a year ago.  I wonder if SG is still losing sales.  Does it have to do with Beth's image or increased competition & poor marketing?  Still think Beth cut the court proceedings short cuz it would have slaughtered her image.  Not that it's anything so great to begin with, but I'm sure Jason had his share of ugly accusations to throw out there.

Those numbers are for the year 2012, what the article doesn't mention is that the previous year the growth was +300% and that is a very number to follow so 23% is really not terrible if you ask me.

I think that Bethenny was emotionally attached to her cocktail line and that is why she took the chance to stay with Beam but technically the cocktail line belongs to beam and Bethenny gets bonus per performance so the worst that can happen to her is that she doesn't get the rest of the bonuses. All her other products still belong to her so that probably will keep her busy while away from the TV.

More the strengthen the argument that Bethenny shouldn't just give Jason 10M

(edited)

I remember when SGM had a meteoric rise and Bethenny and her partner received a healthy bonus.  Here is my take on SGM-one it is not tasty and it contains very little alcohol to keep the calorie count low, it is marketed to only women so right away you have 50% loss in the market.  The big guys  (Jose Cuervo and Margaritaville)in the Margarita world all have lower calorie versions of both mix and pre-mixed Margaritas.    I do think it is an impulse buy and it does rely on product placement.  Other than SUR, owned by Lisa, I have never seen a real bar offer a SGM as a drink.  I think Lisa might have pulled it shortly after she felt Bethenny insulted her. Jim Beam employed a different marketing strategy with the "drink like a lady" campaign and I see it frequently on E! and Bravo.  Is Bethenny viable to their marketing strategy-as long as sales increase she is.  Speaking as one person-I bought a bottle and served it at a pool party it was not well received.  I have never bought a second bottle.  If I am serving mixed drinks I like to use real ingredients like fresh limes, good tequila triple sec-none of these are part of the SGM product.

I still have not been able to find ANYTHING indicating Jason is challenging the validity of the pre-nup and post-nup OR that he asserting that he deserves to be paid for his participation in the SG branding.

I agree with you Bethenny cut the proceedings short because she could not predict what might be said about her.  I think she also probably took a look at social media where she was getting slaughtered in the comments after the stories of her testimony appeared.  Her desire for a court trial on the custody did nothing to boost her image.  It really isn't about Jason image vs. Bethenny's it is about Bethenny reinventing herself or polishing the tarnish off her image.

The 23% decline were 2013 numbers-not 2012 numbers.  They are referencing the first half of 2013.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 3

This article is from nearly a year ago. I wonder if SG is still losing sales. Does it have to do with Beth's image or increased competition & poor marketing? Still think Beth cut the court proceedings short cuz it would have slaughtered her image. Not that it's anything so great to begin with, but I'm sure Jason had his share of ugly accusations to throw out there.

I think it has more to do with Skinny Girl being, much like both Bethenny and Jason, bitter and acrid.

• Love 4
(edited)
Those numbers are for the year 2012, what the article doesn't mention is that the previous year the growth was +300% and that is a very number to follow so 23% is really not terrible if you ask me.

Yeah, but that 300% growth in 2011 was at a time when SG had little or no competition.  Now there are lots of ready-made mixed-alcoholic drinks on the market -- cheaper, tastier & with less calories & marketed to men as well as women.  So I'm curious if SG sales have decreased further.  

And it can't help sales, that Beth keeps on getting shitty PR.  Even besides the divorce stuff, the media seems to hate her.  Every day there are stories like this one in either the NY Post or The NY Daily News or Daily Mail-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2657707/Bethenny-Frankel-toyboy-lover-Michael-Cerussi-III-upset-fellow-patrons-rude-entitled-behaviour-getting-wasted-night-out.html

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

Honest question. In these types of proceedings where does the burden lie? Does Bethanny have to prove that Jason wasn't instrumental or does Jason have to prove he was?

I figure the burden of proof would be on Jason, being that he signed an iron clad prenup that prevents him from receiving anything from the cocktail line, then I am assuming that he will have the burden of proof that Bethenny has accumulated at least 20M in net profits from all her other ventures and that he is entitled to half of that. That is why he hired the forensic expert last year just to trace all her money.

But then NY is not a community property state so even if he can prove that Bethenny in fact earned 20 M in net profits from her shows, book deals, and other products, this doesn't automatically means he would be entitled to half of that. IMO he is shooting for the stars and working the media actively to force Bethenny to settle and give him the money he thinks he deserves, but realistically his chances of the judge awarding him 10M are slim to none.

Here is another article http://nypost.com/2013/12/26/just-say-no-to-diet-booze/  The article is primarily about diet booze but near the end it states Skinny Girl had 29% decline for YTD 2013 (first 3 quarters).   The  article also has a snippet about Jim Beam continuing to use Bethenny as a spokesperson. 

I tried the Skinnygirl White Cherry Cosmo.  It was OK, but it gave me a headache. 

The shelves in liquor stores are now CROWDED with all sorts of competitors, which must not be a surprise to anyone.  The bottles looked dusty to me. I'm waiting for the clearance sale.

So I do think Bethenny has a history of forgetting those who helped her along the way.

I'm surprised nobody (IIRC) has brought up Ellen DeGeneres. Bethenny bitterly complained that Ellen never allowed any A-list guests to come to her show. And so she was forced to interview RHs ad nauseum.  She apologized, but now Bethenny must be seen as poison to all the bookers.  If you look at all those POST and DAILY NEWS articles, comments favoring Jason are liked like 350 to 10.  Even Jason can't have that many supporters.  Then again, he's pictured walking on New York streets with his baby; Bethenny is pictured with some drunken loser. 

On a side note, I knew they would be divorced quickly once I saw her at the wedding and once they were pronounced married, she turned and walked down the aisle BY HERSELF smiling at the camera.  People started laughing.

On another note, if it matters to Jason, his marriage wasn't recognized in the Catholic Church since it was strictly a civil ceremony, so if he wants, he can marry again with the church's blessing.

• Love 1

On a side note, I knew they would be divorced quickly once I saw her at the wedding and once they were pronounced married, she turned and walked down the aisle BY HERSELF smiling at the camera.  People started laughing.

That was on a par with a beautiful wedding photo album featuring a wrap around photo on the cover of lovely bride Bethenny and some guy, I guess it was Jason because his head was cut off. Yep, she was really in love and proud of her new husband...

• Love 2
Then again, he's pictured walking on New York streets with his baby; Bethenny is pictured with some drunken loser.

The media is being non-stop brutal to her.  Any guesses why?  She is setting herself up for this.  She's dating some asshole now, who always looks drunk & angry in every pic the media has of him.  Well, it certainly is her choice to date yet another asshole, but she definitely does NOT deserve to be hounded.  But she's not making smart choices.  And I suspect those choices will have consequences she may not like.  Jason has been much smarter -- maybe even clever & coy.  He hasn't been photographed with anyone -- except Brynn.  So in the media, he always looks like the doting father, while Beths is looking like some Lohan-like party chick, dating some scary-looking loser who always looks like he wants to crack the skulls of anyone near him.  Yikers!  Think about your choices, Bethenny.  And dump this latest loser quick!

• Love 2

And dump this latest loser quick!

She must be priming herself for her Bethenny Redemption reality show!  

I mean, seriously.  EVERY article in EVERY media outlet is followed by the most negative comments I've ever seen towards a woman who hasn't been arrested for murdering a child or accused of stealing a husband from a dying woman.

(edited)
I'm surprised nobody (IIRC) has brought up Ellen DeGeneres. Bethenny bitterly complained that Ellen never allowed any A-list guests to come to her show. And so she was forced to interview RHs ad nauseum.  She apologized, but now Bethenny must be seen as poison to all the bookers.

I wonder what Ellen thinks about her.  Actually, I think she treated Beths rather shabbily.  Just shows Ellen knows how to work her own shit, but that's about it.  Problem with Beth's show was not really the crappy guests -- altho that was a huge prob.  And the prob was NOT necessarily Beth herself.  II think it was totally Ellen's fault Beth's show failed.  They used her wrong.  They showcased her in a way that was destined to fail.  Look, Beth is particularly nasty & hard-edged.  Sure, she's self-absorbed, but she's articulate, intelligent & clever in her observations.  She can be really funny, and sometimes even witty.  But as an interviewer, she sucked.

I think a talk show was a big mistake for her.  The only part of her show I could stand watching was her cooking & food advice segments.  They were usually pretty good.  She shoulda done a show related to food.  Then she coulda pushed her SG brand too.  Will she get an opportunity to do a show like that now?  I doubt it.  Andy ain't gonna do that for her.  Bravo ain't gonna do that for her.  They want her badly -- but ONLY to save the NY Housewives show.-- and that's about it.  Is Bethenny right to stay away from the show?  Probably.  Sure, it would be an opportunity to promote her brand, but Andy & the other shitty producers  might treat her nicely at first & then in no time, they'll start ripping her to shreds.  What the fuck does she need that shit for?  As poor clueless Carole seems to be just learning now, Andy Cohen is nobody's friend

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

She's dating some asshole now, who always looks drunk & angry in every pic the media has of him.

I believe that he's another trust fund guy. He reminds me of a younger Harry Dubin, Aviva's ex and paramour to Sonja and LuAnn, etc. I think its the slightly bloated face and generally debauched look that they have in common.

• Love 1

I mean, seriously.  EVERY article in EVERY media outlet is followed by the most negative comments I've ever seen towards a woman who hasn't been arrested for murdering a child or accused of stealing a husband from a dying woman.

I tell you it is crazy and completely disproportionate. When I see people finding all kind of excuses for a criminal like Teresa Guidice but on the same token blasting Bethenny for petitioning for divorce then I realize that reality TV characters play a dangerous game, if you like them, they can't do no wrong, if you don't like them you will blast them for the way they turn their heads.

Look at the recent news about Lisa Vanderpump and Ken Todd, (I was reading a little bit on TAmara Tattles) and there is no other way to put this as the Vanderpumps simply being cheap and jerks with their help, they are about to get a sentence against them for malice and it is documented for the jury how Ken basically got rid of incriminating evidence of the harassment this waitress endure, yet you do not see anything anywhere. Lisa cultivates a very good relationship with the press and knows how important it is for her and her business to be on their good side. Bethenny lacks that, she has called them trash, she has accused them of trying to blackmail her for an interview, she has used her TL to ask her followers not to read this gossip rags and it is never a good idea to mess with the press.

I read that early on when it was reported that Jason was moving in and out of the apartment before the filing for divorce that many gossip rags wanted the exclusive from Bethenny but she refused to speak to them, she has even called Radar Online a blackmailing trash rag, so that leads me to believe that this is what happens when you do not play the media game, they come after you. Since the separation was announced, Radar has done nothing but to publish one negative story after another and has nailed to the cross the story of the sole custody, so of course that has a very negative impact. On the other hand when Jason was court ordered to stop the hacking and the taping Radar didn't say a word. It is easy to realize who is playing the media like a fiddle. Also is you ready get down to it most of the media does the same , one of them publishes and article and the others just link to it and copy. Page six is a joke at this point, their stories are so fabricated, I remember reading last year , close to the divorce petition, that Bethenny was caught cheating on Jason and a "witness" has seen her on a restaurant being flirty with a guy , turns that the guy was one of her partners in one of her ventures and not her lover, but do they ever retract their tales, nope. Never.

The media can make you and they can take you down, as long as you play their game and give them "exclusives" or stories under the disguise of "inside sources" they will be on your corner and will repeat the story with a twist. When it comes down to it Bethenny hasn't done anything unforgivable, she has gotten a divorce, just like 50% of women in this country and her divorce is a nasty one, just like millions out there but the disproportionate amount of hate and bad press she gets is out of this world.

• Love 2

My extreme dislike for Bethenny has nothing to do with her getting a divorce and everything to do with the shrillness of her voice, her trashy behavior and bagging on her mother ad nauseum. She ruined Martha Stewart's Apprentice for me. I've loved to hate Bethenny for a long time now. Her behavior during the divorce is just par for the course.

• Love 4

I tell you it is crazy and completely disproportionate. When I see people finding all kind of excuses for a criminal like Teresa Guidice but on the same token blasting Bethenny for petitioning for divorce then I realize that reality TV characters play a dangerous game, if you like them, they can't do no wrong, if you don't like them you will blast them for the way they turn their heads.

Look at the recent news about Lisa Vanderpump and Ken Todd, (I was reading a little bit on TAmara Tattles) and there is no other way to put this as the Vanderpumps simply being cheap and jerks with their help, they are about to get a sentence against them for malice and it is documented for the jury how Ken basically got rid of incriminating evidence of the harassment this waitress endure, yet you do not see anything anywhere. Lisa cultivates a very good relationship with the press and knows how important it is for her and her business to be on their good side. Bethenny lacks that, she has called them trash, she has accused them of trying to blackmail her for an interview, she has used her TL to ask her followers not to read this gossip rags and it is never a good idea to mess with the press.

I read that early on when it was reported that Jason was moving in and out of the apartment before the filing for divorce that many gossip rags wanted the exclusive from Bethenny but she refused to speak to them, she has even called Radar Online a blackmailing trash rag, so that leads me to believe that this is what happens when you do not play the media game, they come after you. Since the separation was announced, Radar has done nothing but to publish one negative story after another and has nailed to the cross the story of the sole custody, so of course that has a very negative impact. On the other hand when Jason was court ordered to stop the hacking and the taping Radar didn't say a word. It is easy to realize who is playing the media like a fiddle. Also is you ready get down to it most of the media does the same , one of them publishes and article and the others just link to it and copy. Page six is a joke at this point, their stories are so fabricated, I remember reading last year , close to the divorce petition, that Bethenny was caught cheating on Jason and a "witness" has seen her on a restaurant being flirty with a guy , turns that the guy was one of her partners in one of her ventures and not her lover, but do they ever retract their tales, nope. Never.

The media can make you and they can take you down, as long as you play their game and give them "exclusives" or stories under the disguise of "inside sources" they will be on your corner and will repeat the story with a twist. When it comes down to it Bethenny hasn't done anything unforgivable, she has gotten a divorce, just like 50% of women in this country and her divorce is a nasty one, just like millions out there but the disproportionate amount of hate and bad press she gets is out of this world.

Where did you read about the VanderPump Todds?

The media is being non-stop brutal to her.  Any guesses why?  She is setting herself up for this.  She's dating some asshole now, who always looks drunk & angry in every pic the media has of him.  Well, it certainly is her choice to date yet another asshole, but she definitely does NOT deserve to be hounded.  But she's not making smart choices.  And I suspect those choices will have consequences she may not like.  Jason has been much smarter -- maybe even clever & coy.  He hasn't been photographed with anyone -- except Brynn.  So in the media, he always looks like the doting father, while Beths is looking like some Lohan-like party chick, dating some scary-looking loser who always looks like he wants to crack the skulls of anyone near him.  Yikers!  Think about your choices, Bethenny.  And dump this latest loser quick!

I've always thought that Bethenny has some major psychiatric problems, and now she is decompensating a bit as indicated by her behavior in public....JMO, but based on her behavior since she got involved with Jason. 

The Vanderpump-Todd 'information' came from a gossip site.  Just like Page Six and Radar, only somewhat less vetted: Tamara Tattles is known for getting more wrong than right with the Atlanta Housewives.

I don't think Bethenny is some brave advocate against scummy press.  It must be some other homeplate face heroine toting her daughter around like a Birkin roughly every single week, without fail, since birth.  It's so *weird* that people like Liam Neeson, Jennifer Connelly, Michelle Williams (hugely pursued after Heath Ledger overdosed, and with a newborn herself) can walk around the city and not have adverse, antagonistic relationships with press and Honest Bethenny (who would NEVER call paps or use the press, no ma'am) can't.  Super weird.

Bottom line for me is that Bethenny bungled her divorce.  She came out of the gate as aggressive.  She filed first, she could've mediated and set a tone that made settlement a possibility, instead of being out years of time before even custody was settled.  Like poppygibson, I watched the Martha Stewart season of The Apprentice and Bethenny has been an argumentative, arrogant, can't-get-along-with-anyone person for years now, well before RHONY, and my contempt for how she carries herself and treats other people comes from that.  In terms of the reality machine spitting people out, yes, it does.  But the same people defending the Giudices aren't necessarily the ones who loathe Bethenny.   She is NOT some carefully selected victim of the fame or infamy machine.  She's had LOTS of opportunities to show a graciousness that she lacks - for instance, the widely commented lack of PUBLIC gratitude to Ellen DeGeneres for the chance to bomb with her talk show.  But that's not her style.  Bethenny's style is to call herself a racehorse and bitch about being constrained. 

Bethenny's problem isn't the press, or even her divorce or an angry, possibly vindictive Jason Hoppy.  It's her.  Chick is a narcissist bar none.  I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, with Bethenny walking down the aisle, just married, alone, and selecting a cover photo for her wedding album with Jason's head cut off.  It's all her, all the time, and anyone who doesn't like that is a hater.  Okay.

• Love 9

Bethenny was know for her constant barrage of press releases prior to her sale of SGM.  Once you beg the public and press to acknowledge you one can hardly scream foul when one doesn't get the desired result.  I think perhaps Bethenny is another example of someone with no discernible talent saturating the market with her every move and then wondering why people get sick of her.  Bethenny had a fabulous idea with her Skinny Girl brand-too bad she insisted on putting so much of her personality behind it. 

My issue with Bethenny was after her fairy tale and all the proclamations of how perfect Jason was and how much she loved him when she didn't want him anymore she told such a contradictory set of tales.  So who is the real Bethenny?    Personally, if she wants to go out and have a night on the town -good for her.  I can't help but believe that she and her new boyfriend could not find a place under the radar.

• Love 4

Midnight Cheese, that was beautiful. Sniff. The whole thing.  But, for me, this ties it up into a nice, tidy little bundle.

Bethenny's problem isn't the press, or even her divorce or an angry, possibly vindictive Jason Hoppy.  It's her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I liked Bethenny a lot on RHNYC - she was my favorite for a long time.  But she began to lose me the second season of BEA.  She totally lost me when she filed for sole custody. Regardless of her marital problems, there is no reason Brynn shouldn't benefit from joint custody like many other children.

Any earnings during the marriage are part of the marital estate unless they were specifically excluded by the prenup.  I don't know what Jason is contesting at all because I haven't seen one report other than he turned down a settlement.  She finished a book before the wedding, but it was published and sold after.  So advances are pre-marriage, sales also may be considered after.  Has anyone seen the prenup?  Any links to it?  Any links to what Jason is actually contesting or asking for other than the "give me $10 million and I'll walk away?" that a tabloid published.

We see women walk away from wealthy husbands all the time with a huge chunk of change.  I have no problem with Jason doing the same.  He can contest the prenup, but if it was legally entered into, then he is probably bound by it.

Also, Bethenny was a producer on Bethenny Gets Married and BEA.  So she may have rights to editing.  So what we see of her and Jason are what they wanted to show us in order to make the show most provocative and interesting.  Reality!

Edited by jinjer
  • Love 1

Where did you read about the VanderPump Todds?

http://tamaratattles.com/2014/06/15/update-on-bustillos-v-villa-blanca/#comments

Yes, it is from a blogh but what I found interesting is the transcript from the deposition of one of Villa Blanca managers, so unless Tamra Tattles wants to get herself involved in a lawsuit for defamation and she made up the whole deposition , then this comes from court documents.  Yet, not one word in any outlet . Yet plenty of headlines about Bethenny getting drunk in a bar. Disporportionate IMO

She totally lost me when she filed for sole custody

She never did, but then again kudos to the press for perpetuating that myth, Jason was never at risk to losing his daughter, he and his lawyers knew that they will be sharing their time but it sounds much better to nail it on "sole custody" as a horrible mother who wants to eliminate the father of her only child out of her life.

She's had LOTS of opportunities to show a graciousness that she lacks - for instance, the widely commented lack of PUBLIC gratitude to Ellen DeGeneres for the chance to bomb with her talk show.

Bethenny and Ellen both have posted on their respective TL that this alleged feud between them is total BS fabricated by the press , yet you have not seen one gossip rag publish that, it sound more juicy to create some salacious lie and repeat it time and time again until it becomes undisputed. Bethenny is always thanking Ellen for the opportunity even after she announced her show was cancelled.

To make my point even clearer , this last week Page Six announced that Bethenny and her BF have been drunk and geting rude with one of her fans, from there several outlets have picked up the news without altering a word, if you google her name, you will find out at least a dozen of articles with the same content. Yet Bethenny has already clarified that and called it and BS lie and said that she would never mistreats any of her fans because she owes them her success  and how many rags have picked it up? One, one of dozens , by the end of the week , it would not matter what really happened because it would be a fact that she was a major bitch with one of her fans who wanted to get close to her .

http://www.gossipcop.com/bethenny-frankel-rude-fan-drunk-tweet-wasted-new-york-post-twitter/

That is how the media operates. If you do not play their game, they will bring you down. I am not saying that Bethenny is everybody's cup of tea, she has said herself that she is not for everybody, you can hate her voice, her bossiness, he attitude, but when it comes down to the crimes she has commited she has none, compare that to plenty of other reality TV personalities who commit actual crimes and there you see where I am coming from. Except in few occassions the detractors are much more vocal than the ones who like a personality.

• Love 3

Skinny Girl experiences a 23% decline.  Jim Beam blames it on the weather  http://www.beveraged...23-for-Beam-Inc and is hopeful Bethenny's talk show will create interest.

I remember trying this right at the beginning (before Beam) when someone brought it to the pool and thinking to myself it wasn't half bad. Then, a couple of years later after the Beam deal, I found myself at a beer and wine store and bought some because it was different from the usual and I remembered that I sort of liked it. I couldn't get through one drink though. It wasn't at all what I remembered and I was speculating at the time that Beam must have changed the recipe or something. At any rate, I wouldn't buy any more of it, it was pretty nasty.

this last week Page Six announced that Bethenny and her BF have been drunk and geting rude with one of her fans, from there several outlets have picked up the news without altering a word, if you google her name, you will find out at least a dozen of articles with the same content. Yet Bethenny has already clarified that and called it and BS lie and said that she would never mistreats any of her fans because she owes them her success  and how many rags have picked it up? One, one of dozens , by the end of the week , it would not matter what really happened because it would be a fact that she was a major bitch with one of her fans who wanted to get close to her

I don't necessarily believe Bethenny's version over a "source" who was there.  If it is an out and out lie, all that the media publishes against Bethenny, she always can sue them for defamation.  The truth in all this is probably in between.  

And I am curious as to why it is a "lie" that Bethenny never filed for sole custody.  Jason's response had the same language which he later modified once the court case got going to joint.  Is it a matter of semantics "Primary Legal Custody" instead of "sole?"  Her initial filing was not for joint.  

And I am curious as to why it is a "lie" that Bethenny never filed for sole custody.  Jason's response had the same language which he later modified once the court case got going to joint.  Is it a matter of semantics "Primary Legal Custody" instead of "sole?"  Her initial filing was not for joint.

As I understand it, Bethenny filed for sole legal custody, not sole physical custody.  There was never any doubt that they would both share physical custody (of course, they both filed for primary physical custody, meaning they get the majority of the time with Bryn).  Legal custody is who gets to make decisions about where Bryn lives, where she goes to school, decisions about her health care, etc.  It's sole decision making power. 

In a custody case like Jason and Bethenny, I think sole decision making power would be the best thing.  I can't imagine them needing to negotiate on every little detail, what a nightmare! 

To make my point even clearer , this last week Page Six announced that Bethenny and her BF have been drunk and geting rude with one of her fans, from there several outlets have picked up the news without altering a word, if you google her name, you will find out at least a dozen of articles with the same content. Yet Bethenny has already clarified that and called it and BS lie and said that she would never mistreats any of her fans because she owes them her success  and how many rags have picked it up?

For me, it doesn't even matter if the latest story about Bethenny getting rude with one of her fans is true or not. But it's believable for many because we saw with our own eyes what happened when that one fan approached her and fell down in Atlantic City.  Bethenny said, "Clean up on aisle nine", snickered with her friend and kept right on walking. I think there's a mean spirit there that was evident way before she started getting press.

• Love 4

That is how the media operates. If you do not play their game, they will bring you down.

Well, no one WANTS to play the game more than Bethenny Frankel!  The only reason her engagement and birth weren't filmed were because of JASON. She peed on camera, showed her EPT test … there's nothing she WOULDN'T do.  And the media loved it!  But once the public decided that this woman was as fake as her bolt-ons, she comes out and blames the media.  I mean, she was a professional chef yet couldn't figure out the stove was off on Thanksgiving. She locks herself in the bathroom on her birthday yet had a BIG BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR HERSELF on her talk show.  And with the cameras running every day on her, the world finally saw her true personality:  self-centered, self-absorbed and so full of herself there was barely any room for guests.  She never shut up!! It wasn't until she was booed talking about Jason, that she kept quiet about that.

• Love 1

AuntieDiane6, when was Bethenny booed while talking about Jason? Was this on her own set?

I'm not on either side of this but if Bethenny was booed on her own set that is Madeline Kahn in a Mel Brooks movie level of hysterical!

• Love 2

I mean, she was a professional chef yet couldn't figure out the stove was off on Thanksgiving.

And didn't our yappy chook not know to cut the string off the tenderloin before she served it on Scary Island?

self-centered, self-absorbed and so full of herself there was barely any room for guests.  She never shut up!!

I tuned in a couple times just to see why everyone was saying it was so bad.  I never made it through an entire episode.  She never shut up.  Ever.  I wonder if she and Ellen even speak to each other anymore.

AuntieDiane6, when was Bethenny booed while talking about Jason? Was this on her own set?

IIRC, it was on ELLEN.  She came on after her divorce announcement, said some crack about Jason and the audience responded. It sounded like it was cut off. Then she looked at Ellen and said, "Didn't I came over last night and tell you and Porsha what really went on?" And Ellen verified that she did.  But I'm thinking, well just because you TOLD her doesn't mean it's the truth!

IIRC, it was on ELLEN.  She came on after her divorce announcement, said some crack about Jason and the audience responded. It sounded like it was cut off. Then she looked at Ellen and said, "Didn't I came over last night and tell you and Porsha what really went on?" And Ellen verified that she did.  But I'm thinking, well just because you TOLD her doesn't mean it's the truth!

I saw that interview and I never heard any boos at all, I am not sure how it could have been edited being that it was aired live. Back then we never knew how nasty it really was and it was probably surreal for her to read all this articles about Jason being such a great guy given all the crap she was doing to her behind close doors.

In any story there is her side, his side and the truth, I am not believing Bethenny just because she says something, but when the judge has to order a guy o stop hacking his ex wife email accounts, stop wiretapping her phone calls with her lawyers and stop tapping the nanny and her staff then IMO that is more than just her say, his say. Lets take it for what it is, if Bethenny wanted this divorce to get nasty since the get go she easily could have. She could have report these illegal activities to the police and claim that she didn't feel safe in her own house any longer and given the evidence the police would have had to ask Jason to leave the premises, of course Jason would have refused and he would have had to be escorted out by the police which would have been on the headlines everywhere. Jason has gotten away with a lot of his nasty behavior just because betheny was on a talk show and had to keep it low, IMO

• Love 4

The court orders regarding no filming in the house were mutual:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2426114/Judge-bans-Bethenny-Frankel-Jason-Hoppy-secretly-recording-divorce-gets-nastier.html

It is not illegal to film sub rosa or otherwise in your own home.  People install nanny cams all the time.  It would take a court order to stop the parties in their own home. That is precisely what Bethenny did.  Can you imagine what our world would be like if the police intervened when couples were arguing when the other films them?   The Court took the additional step of having the parties hand over any previously recorded material.  As far as the hacking-it is Bethenny making the allegation-what proof does she have Jason hacked it?  There is no record of Jason or anyone else wire-tapping Bethenny's phone calls to counsel.  Some of this stuff is just made up by so called journalists. 

It what world was it a good idea for Bethenny and Jason to continue to live under the same roof?  The court should have ordered both of them to move out and move back in during their individual custodial time with Bryn.

• Love 2

Thanks, zoeysmom.  I know I have never read any proof - any evidence - anything besides 'Bethenny said!!!!' about Jason 'hacking.'

Again, I don't see how Bethenny is a press victim.  She's leaked a ton of shit; she's just mad because it's not working, and she's chosen to get cuddly-wuddly with a roidy looking fucker who was expelled from one college for rape.  I'm sure it's twu wuv.  She buried her own reputation.

• Love 6

Thanks, zoeysmom.  I know I have never read any proof - any evidence - anything besides 'Bethenny said!!!!' about Jason 'hacking.'

Again, I don't see how Bethenny is a press victim.  She's leaked a ton of shit; she's just mad because it's not working, and she's chosen to get cuddly-wuddly with a roidy looking fucker who was expelled from one college for rape.  I'm sure it's twu wuv.  She buried her own reputation.

I think the proof is the order from the judge to turn in the. Illegal tapes and videos, also to stop the email hacking . If Jason never did it his team would have rushed to Radar to deny the allegations, the fact that he didn't even when Bethenny mentioned it again in her depositions speaks volumes to me.

The judge would not have granted an order requesting for all this evidence to be turn over to him just based on her say. Spying on your spouse email account is one thing, purposely hacking her password to win entry to her communications in the middle of a very contentious divorce is another, listening to your spouse's conversations is wrong but taping her conversations with her lawyers via wiretapping is illegal as hell and tells me a lot about Jason and the lengths he is willing to go.

Many have said here that Jason was right to do what he did because Bethenny drew first blood by requesting sole custody of her daughter, that is just an excuse, Bethenny never asked for anything outrageous, one of them had to be named primary custodian and she requested the courts that it would be her, what had she should done? Hand primary custody to Jason since the get go? Shown me one mother in her right mind that would have done so. I don't know one person. Sole legal custody of course, does anybody has any doubts that there is no way these two can agree on anything? How does share legal custody would work when they don't even talk to each other? Impossible. In light of what we know now about what was happening in that house behind closed doors it is impossible to imagine that there would have been any agreement at all. If Bethenny said turn right Jason would have said left just to spite her.

This has been played up to the media pandering to the lack of knowledge about custody laws from most of the people, trying to pin it as if somehow Bethenny wanted to get rid of Jason and keep Bryn just to herself and emphasizing the term "sole custody" time and time again until mostly everybody thinks that this is what actually happened, viewers might have little knowledge of custody laws but journalists do, they could have easily clarified but it sounds better to paint her as the horrible mother who used the guy for his sperm and is now done with him and ready to toss out with disregard to what is best for her daughter but I am glad looking around to several blogs that more and more people have realized that Jason has been playing up a role of wolf in sheep clothes and used this custody case just as the perfect excuse to get what he really wants, money. Had he not been so spiteful and revengeful I am sure that Bethenny out of her own will would have given him much more than what the courts are actually going to assign him, he could have kept it civil and still maintain some form of amicable relationship with the mother of her daughter but he took the chance and decided to roll the dice and believes that by playing this up in the media he will force her to settle. I hope she doesn't , Jason wanted to play his twisted game in the media, let him go through with it and receive only what he is legally entitled to, he soon will find out how little he is going to get compared to what he thinks he deserves.

• Love 5