Type keyword(s) to search

"But nooooo!" The John Belushi Memorial Thread For SNL Players

Message added by formerlyfreedom

This topic is for individuals with significant links to SNL; former cast or crew, or musical guests or hosts with SIGNIFICANT links to SNL, i.e., multiple appearances (five-timer+ for hosts is a good guide). Thank you!

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't think I'm very worked up about Paul Mooney passing. There have been various ugly insinuations and rumors floating around about him for years, one awful rumor in particular if it's true. I won't repeat it here, but it's on his Wikipedia page for anyone who's interested.  

One lighter note, though. I remember Eddie Murphy cracking up when Seth Meyers asked him a couple months ago if it was true that Mooney beat up Eddie once.

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Too bad he and the real Turd Ferguson never got to do Celebrity Jeopardy together. 

Apparently, there were plans for something like that, but he got fired before they could do it

I haven't been on here much this summer, but like many others I was shocked and saddened to hear about Norm. I've seen him over the last few years, but in my head he's still the Norm I watched on Saturday nights, I certainly had  my ups and downs with him on Update, but I still credit him with keeping me into the show after those tough years when all my favorites like Phil, Jan, Nora, Victoria, etc. were gone. His sketches were my favorite aspect of his time at SNL - I remember how much I loved the sketch where Bob Dole goes on the Real World. I watched it again a few years ago and it holds up. 

I was saddened, if not surprised, that the most they did for Norm was a tribute card in a repeat - that and Lorne did have some kind words for him at the Emmys. I am hoping they will say something on his old home, Update, if nothing else. 

A few others tied to SNL who passed away over the summer:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/bill-clotworthy-dead-tv-exec-snl-dr-no-was-95-1234820713/

https://deadline.com/2021/08/herb-schlosser-dead-longtime-nbc-exec-behind-saturday-night-live-tonight-show-was-95-1234810796/

• Love 5

At the end of tonight's episode, Peter Aykroyd had a title card. Peter was a writer and featured player in season 5, after his brother Dan left. That was the last season for the originals, for Lorne, and most of the producers and writers, so it wasn't much of a time for new people to break out. This was Peter's biggest role - a wonderful short film written with Tom Schiller and co-starring Teri Garr. I am genuinely surprised, and grateful, that SNL dug this out of their archives so newer fans can see a gem they likely never would have known of otherwise. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

At the end of tonight's episode, Peter Aykroyd had a title card. Peter was a writer and featured player in season 5, after his brother Dan left. That was the last season for the originals, for Lorne, and most of the producers and writers, so it wasn't much of a time for new people to break out. This was Peter's biggest role - a wonderful short film written with Tom Schiller and co-starring Teri Garr. I am genuinely surprised, and grateful, that SNL dug this out of their archives so newer fans can see a gem they likely never would have known of otherwise. 

Aw man, poor Dan. Losing his dad and his brother within a year.

Gilbert was unhappy at SNL, and likely happy that he became better known for other avenues, but he did have a few highlights, including the Waxmans, with the wonderful Denny Dillon, a 1984 sketch with Debbie Harry, Pillow Pets, and this pre-tape as a bullfighter.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4

Dan Vitale has passed away. 

Dan was a featured player in the very messy eleventh season, Lorne's scattershot return year that SNL barely survived. If you don't remember him, it's probably because he was barely ever oncamera - he would later reveal he spent a good portion of the season in rehab. 

He was interviewed a few years ago about his time with the show. 

• Love 1

I wasn't sure if this should be in this thread. (Probably, since it is a Memorial thread?) But a video from Scott Michaels, who runs the Find A Death site (detailing deaths of the famous) did a recent video about Charles Rocket's life, rise to fame and downfall on SNL, his work thereafter, and his early death at only 56 back in 2005.

And, in the video, the moment that got Charles fired is included.

• Useful 4
(edited)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/brian-mcconnachie-dead-sctv-saturday-night-live-1235783464/

Brian McConnachie wrote for SNL in season 4, reportedly due to being offered the opportunity after a piece he had written for National Lampoon or somewhere else was used in an early episode (I think it was the police lineup runner in the Richard Pryor episode). He was involved with a number of sketches, like one from the Frank Zappa episode where an everyday family kept a prison in their home because they needed the money, and another where Elliott Gould, drunk and on the streets at Christmas, dreamt of various "spirits." This is the one that is most easily available to see, one that left Michael Palin, the host, very impressed, according to his diaries. 

Edited by Pete Martell