Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pete Martell

Cast In Other Roles: That's Fake Me. This Must Be Fake Mine.

Recommended Posts

I've been doing a re-watch of "Smallville" and I'm seeing actors from our show every other episode. Some are small parts with a line or two, but others are more meaty. I'm also watching Jensen's "Jason" to see if I notice some Dean traits in him. Not too many from what I've seen. I just remember having my skin crawl in the one scene of him with mommy dearest. Literally!

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching Shawshank Redemption and was like...wait, isn't Alastair 1.0? Sure enough, he played one of the prisoners that abused Andy DuFresne

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Doing a rewatch of OG Charmed and I had absolutely no recollection of Mark Sheppard being on the show. He's (surprise!) a bad guy in S5 E5.  It will never not be weird to hear him speak with an American accent. 

I did remember that Misha was in an early episode, but he's nearly unrecognizable (so young), especially his voice. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Here is an interview with Eric Kripke regarding the filming of Season 3 of "The Boys".  It doesn't mention Jensen, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan's name comes up!

https://collider.com/the-boys-season-3-filming-eric-kripke-interview/

 

Here is another article (from July) that talks about "The Boys". I really know nothing about the series and found this interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/07/26/amazon-is-trying-to-turn-the-boys-into-its-own-walking-dead/#73ea977939f3

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bergamot said:

Here is an interview with Eric Kripke regarding the filming of Season 3 of "The Boys".  It doesn't mention Jensen, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan's name comes up!

https://collider.com/the-boys-season-3-filming-eric-kripke-interview/

Kripke has come a long way since he started a little show on the WB in 2005 with help from Singer and Manners. I'm quite happy for him. He was always such a fanboy about his own show!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

 

Interesting take on it. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda scared to see Jensen play this sort of character, but a) I know he can and will nail it, and b) he obviously knows going in what it's about and he's signed on, so he's cool with it. That works for me. Without spoilers, there have been a couple of asshole supes who have at least started on the path to redemption/growth so far, so maybe Kripke* has this in mind for Soldier Boy as well. But if he doesn't, then I'll be just as psyched to watch Jensen play so very much against type and nail it.

*ETA: his choice of the words humor, pathos and danger to describe Jensen's qualities for the role give me hope.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda scared to see Jensen play this sort of character

Okay I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I am not thrilled with this move.  It isn't like The Boys is tearing up the Emmy's so I'm not seeing any more of a spotlight for Jensen then he already has . This isn't a high profile show.  Jensen is a versatile actor (I don't think he has been type cast at all) and everyone in the industry knows it. Look at all the buzz he is getting...not The Boys... Jensen. He will be part of an ensemble cast so I'm assuming Jensen won't be in every episode, it isn't a starring role, we are looking at least a year and a half before we even see one episode and by then he  will be in his mid 40's. Which means by the time his run is over....possibly 2 seasons, he will be approaching 50.  His window to either star in his own show or movie is going to close pretty quick ( I know he's got that picture of Dorian Gray in his attic but still...).  I get that this is an 8 episode show which would leave him time to look into other projects and I know it depends on what his contract is with Kripke (he may have only agreed to one season) but I was hoping for something much better, a much higher profile project for Jensen. 

 I'm guessing that Kripke is banking on SPNfandom to give The Boys a boost now with this addition (he was constantly courting us with his other shows as well). It just seems to me like this is more of a score (or favor) for Kripke than for Jensen. 

 If this makes Jensen happy then I'm happy for him. It's just a disappointing move for me. I was hoping for something better.

At best this seems like a step sideways. I agree with Jared....they are lucky to have him.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Okay I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I am not thrilled with this move.  It isn't like The Boys is tearing up the Emmy's so I'm not seeing any more of a spotlight for Jensen then he already has . This isn't a high profile show.  Jensen is a versatile actor (I don't think he has been type cast at all) and everyone in the industry knows it. Look at all the buzz he is getting...not The Boys... Jensen. He will be part of an ensemble cast so I'm assuming Jensen won't be in every episode, it isn't a starring role, we are looking at least a year and a half before we even see one episode and by then he  will be in his mid 40's. Which means by the time his run is over....possibly 2 seasons, he will be approaching 50.  His window to either star in his own show or movie is going to close pretty quick ( I know he's got that picture of Dorian Gray in his attic but still...).  I get that this is an 8 episode show which would leave him time to look into other projects and I know it depends on what his contract is with Kripke (he may have only agreed to one season) but I was hoping for something much better, a much higher profile project for Jensen. 

 I'm guessing that Kripke is banking on SPNfandom to give The Boys a boost now with this addition (he was constantly courting us with his other shows as well). It just seems to me like this is more of a score (or favor) for Kripke than for Jensen. 

 If this makes Jensen happy then I'm happy for him. It's just a disappointing move for me. I was hoping for something better.

At best this seems like a step sideways. I agree with Jared....they are lucky to have him.

On the one hand, I totally get where you are coming from. Yes, I would have prefered a starring role with more steady exposure or at best something I can see sooner. So a weekly TV show? Sure, would have been wonderful for me personally if I enjoyed the subject matter. And I know Pedowitz wanted to keep them both at the network if at all possible so I`m sure if Jensen really, really wanted, something could/would have been worked out. I also watch a lot of CW shows so I don`t want to be a hypocrite and demean the network completely. However, I also honestly believe Jensen is at an age and point where he just doesn`t fit that network anymore. Streaming is very different.

On the other hand "the Boys" isn`t completely obscure IMO. It isn`t any kind of juggernaut but not unknown either. Also, it is not the CW fandom so branching out to new audiences at the very least. And I`ve seen it so often where an actor I really liked played a character in a reasonably popular show with a good following who presumably had it all: good looks, charisma, some with good acting chops and yet they just couldn`t get a foot on the ground afterwards the buisness is so fickle. Currently, it is even more difficult for various reasons. So announcing a new project before the old one started? And getting good publicity from it? That`s already not a bad thing.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

t isn't like The Boys is tearing up the Emmy's so I'm not seeing any more of a spotlight for Jensen then he already has .

It's Amazon's most popular show.   Over 8 million viewers watched s1.  So that is 8 million people watching Jensen.  It will help Jensen becasue it will get him exposure to a larger audience.  He will work with some high profile people, like Giancarlo Esposito, Jim Beaver, they are trying to get Jefferey Dean Morgan, and Karl Urban. 

He'll meet new writers and directors and behind the scenes people at the studio, make more connections and get the opportunity to net work.   This is a good thing for him and a benefit even before the show airs. 

Promo is far better than the CW.  Interviews are starting to come out for s2. 

Number 1 on the call sheet isn't always the be all and the end all.  He was barely on the call sheet when he played Ben in Dark Angel.  He took that small role (which would have been a step down from a major character on Days).  He made people notice him.  Alec wasn't number 1, and yet he took over Dark Angel to the point 1 and 2 got jealous.  On Big Bang Theory Johnny Galecki (Leonard) was number 1.  Jim Parsons (Sheldon) number 2.  I don't think many would argue that show revolved around Sheldon.  

I think this is a good first move to reintroduce himself to mainstream Hollywood. 

Yeah, Jensen is taking a risk.  I'd rather he take that risk and have a small part in a big show, rather than stay on the CW where he will most likely be relgated to playing a dad.  The only reason Jared isnt playing Walkers dad is because he pitched and produces the show.  Both he and Jensen are too old for the network.  There was a reason Jack was bought it for the younger viewers.  It wouldn't surprise me if there is more emphasis on Walkers kids.    But he has enough talent and charisma to make himself noticed, no matter how small the role.  Most shows are ensemble these days. 

 

 

 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Also, men are luckier in terms of age being more forgiving to them, at least in the entertainment industry. How old is Mark Harmon? And he still gets to be the "silver fox" on NCIS, with more emphasis on fox than on silver.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

It's Amazon's most popular show.   Over 8 million viewers watched s1.  So that is 8 million people watching Jensen.  It will help Jensen becasue it will get him exposure to a larger audience.  He will work with some high profile people, like Giancarlo Esposito, Jim Beaver, they are trying to get Jefferey Dean Morgan, and Karl Urban. 

He'll meet new writers and directors and behind the scenes people at the studio, make more connections and get the opportunity to net work.   This is a good thing for him and a benefit even before the show airs. 

Promo is far better than the CW.  Interviews are starting to come out for s2. 

Number 1 on the call sheet isn't always the be all and the end all.  He was barely on the call sheet when he played Ben in Dark Angel.  He took that small role (which would have been a step down from a major character on Days).  He made people notice him.  Alec wasn't number 1, and yet he took over Dark Angel to the point 1 and 2 got jealous.  On Big Bang Theory Johnny Galecki (Leonard) was number 1.  Jim Parsons (Sheldon) number 2.  I don't think many would argue that show revolved around Sheldon.  

I think this is a good first move to reintroduce himself to mainstream Hollywood. 

Yeah, Jensen is taking a risk.  I'd rather he take that risk and have a small part in a big show, rather than stay on the CW where he will most likely be relgated to playing a dad.  The only reason Jared isnt playing Walkers dad is because he pitched and produces the show.  Both he and Jensen are too old for the network.  There was a reason Jack was bought it for the younger viewers.  It wouldn't surprise me if there is more emphasis on Walkers kids.    But he has enough talent and charisma to make himself noticed, no matter how small the role.  Most shows are ensemble these days.

Word to all this. I've said for years that it was time for Jensen to move on from the CW and into projects with more exposure, more buzz, better writing, and something chancier than he's used to. After all, that's what actors are supposed to want to do to further their careers.

Yes, I want Jensen to headline a project - it's long past time for him to be first on the call sheet. But remember, a few months ago he and Danneel were going through a stack of scripts/projects he was sent to look at and choose from.  And then the world went to hell, and everything closed up. I suspect some of the projects he looked at have either been canceled or more likely postponed to who knows when. So we really don't know what else he's got in the works for the future. Honestly, I suspect The Boys is a placeholder role for now. But at the same time, he's getting a epic ton of media attention just for taking the role, so it was still a good move for him.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:
50 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Iit isn't like The Boys is tearing up the Emmy's so I'm not seeing any more of a spotlight for Jensen then he already has .

It's Amazon's most popular show.   Over 8 million viewers watched s1.  So that is 8 million people watching Jensen.  It will help Jensen becasue it will get him exposure to a larger audience.  He will work with some high profile people, like Giancarlo Esposito

I just found out that Giancarlo Esposito is playing a part in The Boys(with a larger presence predicted for his character in S2) and it made me over the moon happy as I have long dreamed of seeing Jensen involved in a Vince Gilligan project/vehicle.

This move brings him that much closer to that particular dream, AFAIC.

And they're filming in January with no release date mentioned for S3 as of now.

I also read an article recently that surmised that Amazon Prime might just be looking to make The Boys their flagship series, much like AMC(?) has done with The Walking Dead. 

And as others have mentioned already, filming for a short time in January-February(the scripts will already be finished and they are doing block filming of all 8 episodes) will most assuredly free him up for other projects that might interest him after that.

He's 42(and even 44 is not pushing 50, IMO) and can still easily play younger-even early thirties. He's in great physical shape, too.

The more I'm hearing and seeing about this role for him on this show, the better I'm feeling about it as a career move for him.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

I think this is a good first move to reintroduce himself to mainstream Hollywood. 

I understand what you are saying but like I said the buzz for the last 3 days has been about Jensen not The Boys. I think Jensen was already on Hollywood's radar.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

I understand what you are saying but like I said the buzz for the last 3 days has been about Jensen not The Boys. I think Jensen was already on Hollywood's radar.

I think so too, thus the stack of scripts/projects he was perusing through before the pandemic threw the brakes on. I truly believe this is just the first role of more to come.

And the fact that Jensen did merit as much attention as he did was good press for the show - and Amazon had to have noticed and appreciated it. They'll want to stay in biz with him if they can.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Do you legitimately think Jensen hasn't thought this through and knows what's best for him and his career aspirations at this point?

Of course he does.  Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that his first project after Dean Winchester is an also starring role.  Like I said if he is happy then I'm happy for him. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Of course he does.  Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that his first project after Dean Winchester is an also starring role.  Like I said if he is happy then I'm happy for him. 

I get that, for sure, and we are absolutely entitled to our feelings and opinions about it. It's the idea that he's making a mistake or 'settling' for this that I question(ed). He said himself that there was interest and people 'looking out for him' (or words to that effect), so if he chose this to begin with, then I have to believe it's because there is something great about it, something more than just his place on the call sheet.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I understand what you are saying but like I said the buzz for the last 3 days has been about Jensen not The Boys. I think Jensen was already on Hollywood's radar.

What I mean is a more main stream audience.  A lot of people pre judge CW shows and the network doesn't get a lot of critical acclaim.  When I mention Jensen, most people I know have never heard of him or the CW.   I do think he has a lot of connections in Hollywood. 

As for the buzz, I love Jensen getting so much press.  Yes, it is more about Jensen but I think its a good marketing strategy.   s2 comes out in a couple of weeks.  Mention Jensen in s3, then start the s2 promo stuff/push, hoping to bring in some of Jensen's fans. 

From what Ive seen it seems to be working.  The Boys was something I wanted to watch, I just didn't want to pay for Prime.  I'm not Kripke's biggest fan because of how he handled the end of s5.  So I put it off watching it.   But I intend to start soon.  Several people I know are in the same boat.

I recently started following The Boy's twitter account, and its refreshing that they actually post stuff about The Boys and not every other Amazon Show.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

Please note this is tongue-in-cheek: It's probably the costume he loves. LOL. Look at how many he's enjoyed in Supernatural.

I think he finds the role, itself, kind of Rich in that it's supposedly something of a warped version of Captain America, if some of what I'm reading is true. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I get that, for sure, and we are absolutely entitled to our feelings and opinions about it. It's the idea that he's making a mistake or 'settling' for this that I question(ed). He said himself that there was interest and people 'looking out for him' (or words to that effect), so if he chose this to begin with, then I have to believe it's because there is something great about it, something more than just his place on the call sheet.

Oh I'm sorry I certainly didn't mean to imply that Jensen was making a mistake.  I tried to emphasize that I was disappointed because wanted more. What he chooses to do is his own business and I am not trying to judge him.  I'm sure whatever he does will be a tremendous success.  I'm sure he is thrilled to be working with Kripke and Scriggia and  the rest of the cast. I'm also sure he thought a lot about what his next step would be. He seems to have an affinity for Super Hero roles. So yes this is right in his wheel house. And hopefully the step he needs to land the roles he wants to play going forward.

  My point was that I believe he already had that in him...but that is just my opinion.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I get that, for sure, and we are absolutely entitled to our feelings and opinions about it. It's the idea that he's making a mistake or 'settling' for this that I question(ed). He said himself that there was interest and people 'looking out for him' (or words to that effect), so if he chose this to begin with, then I have to believe it's because there is something great about it, something more than just his place on the call sheet.

I think he has always been interested in The Boys. I was watching some con footage from like a year ago and someone asked what Supernatural would be like if it wasn’t on a network and had to deal with standards and practices. He then went on to compare it to The Boys a lot. Thought it would be more like that. It was Interesting to hear that long answer in retrospect. So I think The Boys has always been on his radar. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well one thing we all know about Jensen... he’s not a big fan of super stardom with paparazzi around every corner.  He’d never chase that. It would always be about the challenge.
 
I didn’t realise it’s only 8 episodes per season... possibly Eric will feature Soldier Boy heavily in season three (he’s nuts if he doesn’t), but Jensen will still be left with free time to pursue other gigs. He’s aging well. He’s extremely talented and very professional.  He’s got a long career ahead.

I watched YouTube video recaps of season one. The Boys is not my cup of tea.. I’m not a superhero fan and they’d better not put him in a mask. But it’s exciting, isn’t it?

The most exciting part is that when Jensen is filming in Toronto and looks up at the clouds... I’ll be seeing those same clouds. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

 I'm guessing that Kripke is banking on SPNfandom to give The Boys a boost now with this addition (he was constantly courting us with his other shows as well). It just seems to me like this is more of a score (or favor) for Kripke than for Jensen. 

Agreed. This is a coup for kripke and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see misha pop up as a guest star too.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

This  is an article about  a Netflix series starring Kathryn Newton (Claire) with one season thus far. It was renewed in July 2019 for a second season. Kathryn's 'star' is pretty hot right now.  It was cancelled yesterday before filming could begin.  They cite the challenges of Covid as a reason. These are unprecedented times. We don't know what might have been without them. I'm glad Jensen has something pretty great to be excited about. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW, WRT to the Boys popularity and how much attention it gets in fandom and IMO value by it's studio, and promotion, here is my anectdotal story from ComicCon in 2019.

I didn't have Tix so I went with a friend just to walk around the event. Other than Marvel stuff, The Walking Dead, and some Arrowverse, The Boys had and Amazon had the largest event display that I saw. I didn't see one SPN banner  the whole time and I even walked down to Hall H but it was after their panel.  I saw some SPN fans because of clothes etc, but that was all.  The Boys had a big promotional presence and like a half block or more solely for The Boys and that was on the final Sunday of the month. Fans were wrapped around trying to get in to whatver it was.

I remember saying to my friend that I hope Jensen gets a role in the Boys if only for the buzz and support that show gets. So make of that what you will.

 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I would have preferred a starring role - maybe in a feature film for Jensen. But I see no downside to the Boys. As long as it is off CW I'm happy. It puts him on a more edgy show with higher viewing and lets him meet new people. So it broadens him a bit. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching The Boys in order to see what it's like and it really makes me miss Supernatural music. They have some great music cues on The Boys that are making reminiscent of the early season of SPN,

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On Jensen's new Soldier Boy gig on "The Boys":

- Comics version of the Soldier Boy character - Bleech.  He's more stupid than evil.  I'd be happy to anticipate an smart villain.  A stupid villain -- not so much. It would be difficult to watch Jensen play THAT take on the character.  No matter how well he did it. 
- Kripke, however, is NOT stupid.  And the from the few episodes of The Boys I've seen - he's made a character driven show that's better than the comics and the portrayal of one of the female "superheros" gives me hope. I also think it's possible Jensen is the Big Bad of S3, and therefore a character retooling may happen. 
- If the character is the original Soldier Boy and not a later generation, he could be the villain behind the entire premise of the series.  The reason why supes went bad in the first place.  This generational concept is not well understood by me.  I found nothing explicit in the comics I read -- and I'm unwilling to read more to see if there is some offhand reference.  Pretty sure I read all the comics of the current incarnation -- too few comics actually include the current Soldier Boy for THAT version to be a big villain. 
- The uncertainty of future projects is a big deal.  I'm pretty sure Kathryn Newton's show was cancelled after they calculated the amount to go back into filming (apparently they were close) and the math didn't work. I don't know if Kripke has already done the math for the Toronto filming, but with the ties to Supernatural, he may have better insight based on the extra amount for Supernatural.  As I've mentioned multiple times, Supernatural gets a boost from Warner Brothers.  And the show was going to finish after 15 years.  Too much riding on making a proper finale sooner rather than later (DVD sales, streaming, Walker series filming).  Jan is a better option than Aug/Sept -- I'm sure KN's contract was likely up as well. Finally, Amazon's pockets are MUCH deeper than Netflix.  Netflix is under attack from multiple streaming platforms.  Amazon has that little on-line shopping division of the company to keep them afloat. 
- The uncertainty of movies is a bigger deal.  According to the NYT survey of 511 epidemiologists, airplane flying is less risky than a movie theater.  Conversely, movie theaters that have already gone to luxury seating may be able to do social distancing better but summer 2021 will be the big tell on whether or not the industry is crippled IMO. Maybe a pay-per-view model will develop for first runs.  Who knows. 
- Announcing now is a smart move for a lot of reasons. First, free S2 press as Jensen gets alot of that.  Second, when they write the multiple articles before the season start, they will reflect both boys have a follow-on gig (again, good press for The Boys but also good for Jensen to stay in the public eye). Third, they probably needed to sign Jensen to factor in his salary.  I don't think he'll go down in price, going to a Amazon show.  If he's the Big Bad of S3, he will definitely get a nice salary.

Bottom line: too many variables to know how it's going to turn out.  I think the timing works well, given the massive uncertainty of the industry.  I'll definitely watch -- and I have a lot of faith in Jensen and Kripke.  

  • Like 6
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of The Boys for several reasons, the baddies were really well played, the maybe redeemers has certain pathos and the goodies were also not so good! It was clever and certainly had me waiting for the next Season. Also the fact that it was not a long run, just left me wanting more. I think it is too intense for a long run anyway.

However I will hate it if Jensen's character is totally unlikeable and I won't want to watch it – he doesn't have to be the hero – an interesting baddie would be good for me as well but a coward – just no. Or stupid – just no.

As I have mentioned in another thread Jensen has a big SM following unlike any of the other actors, writers, producers etc most of which don't reach the 1m mark let alone Jensen's 8.1 m on instagram and therefore on balance IMO they are very lucky to get him and will probably need to be a bit careful how they write his character. Kripke has quite blatantly been playing up to Supernatural fans to get them to be interested in whatever he is doing so this is going to get him, initially anyway, a whole host of new possible fans. Problem is for me anyway it is far too long away – I need to see him in something way before Season 3 comes out.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I've just started watching The Boys and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's such a dark and suspenseful show and the characters are so interesting. I guess that I'm one of the few that don't mind the fact that the superhero's are assholes. I can't wait to see Jensen's performance.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think he'll be the "current comic" version if only because Kripke specifically said the first.  However in the comics the first one died.  So obviously that's a change if he did not.  Seeing as the character is a take off of Captain America, they could go a direct take off of "presumed dead, but actually in suspended animation" either accidentally, as Cap was, or because someone put him there.  They even could do a combo Cap/Winter Soldier type thing that way, so he could be a villain as SueB suggests. 

That said, even if he is "the current version" I'm sure given how the writers have changed other characters, they'd make the character more complex than just an easily led dummy.  I mean maybe he acts that way in one setting but in another we find out it's a ruse and he's up to something else.  Actually with the storyline where Homeland(I think its Homeland) is using Soldier Boy, it might be interesting if it turned out it was really, unbeknownst to Homeland of course, the other way around?  Or maybe the original Soldier Boy, who didn't actually die, is pretending to be Soldier Boy 2.0, etc, etc

Anyway I just mean there is probably a lot they can do with the character that gives the character more to do than be an ineffective idiot. 🙂

Spoiler

It seems like the original Soldier Boy wasn't so much evil but he, and the rest of the Avenging Squad, was inexperienced in the field and too arrogant to realize and take advice.  Which is partly on them, because duh, hey you know you have little experience so listen to people who do,  and having not read the comic but only going by summaries, partly on their handlers, who basically were like "yay superheroes" and tossed them out there telling them how great they were without actually giving them the right training.  Which in turn led to them causing a disaster in the field that led to many lost lives, including their own.(though SB was supposedly killed by some commanding officer when he was injured and begging for help because he was so angry at their previous arrogance)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I've just started watching The Boys and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's such a dark and suspenseful show and the characters are so interesting. I guess that I'm one of the few that don't mind the fact that the superhero's are assholes. I can't wait to see Jensen's performance.

Hubs and I are up to episode 5 and we both like it very much.

I read that Jensen once said something like it was what Kripke would have liked to have been able to do with Dean amd Sam and Supernatural, only minus the many network restrictions that were forced on him-and I'm so seeing this also. 

A ton of parallels with Supernatural, but different in a lot of ways, too.

I really like the ensemble cast that he's assembled-and IA with DEEDEE-the baddie supes don't bother me and some most definitely have redeeming(or at least possibly redeeming) qualities that may become more prominent down the road. 

The Boys are all likable enough, if a little predictable. 

Tbh, I'm finding myself more interested in some of the superhero stories than in The Boys'-and that bodes well for Jensen's role AFAIC.

I'm not seeing him as the Big Bad yet.

Everyone on the show(superheroes and humans)has their weaknesses that are pretty apparent, even this early on, IMO.

Looking forward to catching up and especially happy to see Elizabeth Shue in a role that Kripke pitched to her and kind of had to convince her to take on.

Good to see Christian Keyes again, too. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

Hubs and I are up to episode 5 and we both like it very much.

I read that Jensen once said something like it was what Kripke would have liked to have been able to do with Dean amd Sam and Supernatural, only minus the many network restrictions that were forced on him-and I'm so seeing this also. 

A ton of parallels with Supernatural, but different in a lot of ways, too.

I really like the ensemble cast that he's assembled-and IA with DEEDEE-the baddie supes don't bother me and some most definitely have redeeming(or at least possibly redeeming) qualities that may become more prominent down the road. 

The Boys are all likable enough, if a little predictable. 

Tbh, I'm finding myself more interested in some of the superhero stories than in The Boys'-and that bodes well for Jensen's role AFAIC.

I'm not seeing him as the Big Bad yet.

Everyone on the show(superheroes and humans)has their weaknesses that are pretty apparent, even this early on, IMO.

Looking forward to catching up and especially happy to see Elizabeth Shue in a role that Kripke pitched to her and kind of had to convince her to take on.

Good to see Christian Keyes again, too. 

 

I watched up to episode 5 today also. I was so into it that I could have easily finished the season but I'm going to leave the remaining eps for next week so that they'll be fresh when season 2 starts. The superhero's are godawful people but they all have layers that make them more than typical bad guys which is intriguing. I agree that the superhero's are more interesting so far but Karl Urban is freaking amazing in this show. It kinda makes me wish that Jensen had been cast as one of the Boys just to see them play off of each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

These are my impressions of The Boys. For anyone that hasn't watched it yet there are **Spoilers**. But since this is the Supernatural forum I'm not going to hide my content unless I get yelled at about it.

Okay so Comcast aired the first 3 episodes of The Boys for free. I watched all three.  I'm not sure I will pay to watch the rest of the season but it did keep my interest.  Karl Urban is by far the standout. I was kind of surprised it wasn't funnier though.  The gore and sexual content isn't over the top (well not too over the top) and it is certainly very well produced.  I was surprised how many SPN alumni were involved with the show.  Overall impression you can definitely tell is was based off a comic book.  It seems pretty predictable...really horrible people doing really horrible things and even the "hero's" aren't good guys.  I did love that Hughie blew up a Supe....definitely going to the dark side. The Superhero's being a bunch of corporate suits was a twist I didn't see coming.

I'm kind of curious why (other than Kripke is certainly his comfort zone) Jensen jumped ship from Warner Brothers to NBC.  There didn't seem to be a bigger fan of Supernatural and Jensen than Peter Roth.  I can't imagine he didn't have something in mind for Jensen. And it isn't like the WB is a lesser studio than NBC. So there couldn't have been a salary issue. They have also developed their own streaming service, CBS network shows and movies. Just curious.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn’t get past Karl Urban’s accent 😅  Jensen’s English accent for a few minutes in Dark Angel was much better, much more subtle (or was the OTT Cockney thing the whole point for Billy Butcher?)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

56 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

These are my impressions of The Boys. For anyone that hasn't watched it yet there are **Spoilers**. But since this is the Supernatural forum I'm not going to hide my content unless I get yelled at about it.

Okay so Comcast aired the first 3 episodes of The Boys for free. I watched all three.  I'm not sure I will pay to watch the rest of the season but it did keep my interest.  Karl Urban is by far the standout. I was kind of surprised it wasn't funnier though.  The gore and sexual content isn't over the top (well not too over the top) and it is certainly very well produced.  I was surprised how many SPN alumni were involved with the show.  Overall impression you can definitely tell is was based off a comic book.  It seems pretty predictable...really horrible people doing really horrible things and even the "hero's" aren't good guys.  I did love that Hughie blew up a Supe....definitely going to the dark side. The Superhero's being a bunch of corporate suits was a twist I didn't see coming.

I'm kind of curious why (other than Kripke is certainly his comfort zone) Jensen jumped ship from Warner Brothers to NBC.  There didn't seem to be a bigger fan of Supernatural and Jensen than Peter Roth.  I can't imagine he didn't have something in mind for Jensen. And it isn't like the WB is a lesser studio than NBC. So there couldn't have been a salary issue. They have also developed their own streaming service, CBS network shows and movies. Just curious.

It's not NBC, It's Amazon. Per IMdB

Quote

Production Companies
Amazon Studios
Original Film
Point Grey Pictures
Sony Pictures Television

Distributors
Amazon Studios (2019) (World-wide) (all media)
Amazon Prime Video (2019) (USA) (video) (VOD)

Although Sony appears to have a toe in the water on it.

 

On the "The Boys" website it says:

Quote

Network
Amazon Studios

 

I think if Roth wants him, he can offer something for the 2021 Fall season.  Things may be up in the air EVERYWHERE and this could be a bridge.  

Personally, I want the movie division to take a harder look.  Less Jensen, but more exposure.  

Edited by SueB
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SueB said:

It's not NBC, It's Amazon. Per IMdB

Although Sony appears to have a toe in the water on it.

 

On the "The Boys" website it says:

 

I think if Roth wants him, he can offer something for the 2021 Fall season.  Things may be up in the air EVERYWHERE and this could be a bridge.  

Personally, I want the movie division to take a harder look.  Less Jensen, but more exposure.  

Oh okay.  I thought I read that when someone mentioned Eric Kripke write the Supernatural finale he said he had to check with NBC because that was who he was contracted with.  I must have misread that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Oh okay.  I thought I read that when someone mentioned Eric Kripke write the Supernatural finale he said he had to check with NBC because that was who he was contracted with.  I must have misread that.

Well, two of the other shows Eric Kripke was working on - Revolution and Timeless - were on NBC. I don't know if he's still contracted with them since both shows ended with no plans for future anything as far as I know. Timeless, the second one, finished at the end of 2018.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Well, two of the other shows Eric Kripke was working on - Revolution and Timeless - were on NBC. I don't know if he's still contracted with them since both shows ended with no plans for future anything as far as I know. Timeless, the second one, finished at the end of 2018.

Seemed like it was sometime around when they announced 15 was going to be the last season.  That feels like it was 10 years ago.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

I couldn’t get past Karl Urban’s accent 😅  Jensen’s English accent for a few minutes in Dark Angel was much better, much more subtle (or was the OTT Cockney thing the whole point for Billy Butcher?)

He's from New Zealand maybe that is his normal talking voice?  Andrew Lincoln (TWD) has a very thick cockney accent IRL.  But yes Karl Urban was very hard to understand.  I had to surmise from the reaction of the other actors what was happening in lot of the scenes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Icarus said:

However I will hate it if Jensen's character is totally unlikeable and I won't want to watch it – he doesn't have to be the hero – an interesting baddie would be good for me as well but a coward – just no. Or stupid – just no.

Unless they kill The Deep off in S2, I don't see them bringing Jensen in to play a dumb coward...Chase Crawford fills that role perfectly.

As for comics Soldier Boy, I wouldn't get hungry up on that description. The Amazon show is an adaption and they've already changed a lot from the books, including Gender Swapping Mallory and now Stormfront (German Nazi in the Comics). 

S1 was fantastic, S2 starts this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Flipping through channels, I passed by the movie "Face/Off" (with J. Travolta and N. Cage).  One of the other agents in the FBI office was Robert Wisdom aka Uriel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, patty1h said:

Flipping through channels, I passed by the movie "Face/Off" (with J. Travolta and N. Cage).  One of the other agents in the FBI office was Robert Wisdom aka Uriel.

He’s also in The Alienist, kind of a main character. Also, I just watched the first ep of The Boys Season 2. Not only is Jim Beaver in it, but they already mentioned Soldier Boy. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I just realized that the waitress Doris from "Mystery Spot" is the same actress (Denalda Williams) that appears in the X-Files episode "Syzygy" (two high school girls share the same birthday) as the astrologist.  And I came to this realization not while watching either episode, but standing in my kitchen making tea, thinking about the live stream silent film I've signed up to watch tonight, which led to me thinking of the silent film that plays on every TV channel in "Syzygy".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Genevieve Padalecki has been cast in a recurring role in WALKER as Walker's late wife who died in mysterious circumstances...she will be in flashbacks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh wow, a fridged wife/mother figure who died under "mysterious circumstances" and has little/to no physical presence in the current timeline. Keep up the originality, CW.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size