Type keyword(s) to search

The Men of Sex and the City

Thinking about my Steve hate some more...  I hated him from the very first episode he was on - he shows a complete lack of respect for boundaries.  They have sex, she asks him to leave and says she doesn't want to see him any more.  He insists on making a date when she is obviously uncomfortable.  When she gives him a false time because she doesn't want to see him again, he insists on seeing her anyway.  It is creepy and stalkerish.  The writers clearly want us to see it as cute and how he's good at overcoming Miranda's "issues" when all I see is a man who won't take no for an answer.

The very next episode, he is continually making her late for work because he can't see her until after his bar shift.  That is all Miranda's fault apparently and, rather than do anything to compromise - like, for instance, when she complains that she needs to pick up her dry cleaning on Saturday morning offering to do it for her during the week or swapping shifts so that he can be available to see her earlier in the evening - he throws a hissy fit and makes her feel like a bad person, so she puts up with sleep deprivation and he gets what he wants.  Attractive.

Then, the next episode, he doesn't tell her what he really feels about her buying him a suit and dumps her right before promising to attend a work function with her.  Honestly, on my first watch through the show, I assumed that that was the last we'd see of him because - surely - the writers liked Miranda too much to give her this creepy, uncompromising, selfish twat as a long-term partner.  But, no.

• Love 6
Thinking about my Steve hate some more...  I hated him from the very first episode he was on - he shows a complete lack of respect for boundaries.  They have sex, she asks him to leave and says she doesn't want to see him any more.  He insists on making a date when she is obviously uncomfortable.  When she gives him a false time because she doesn't want to see him again, he insists on seeing her anyway.  It is creepy and stalkerish.  The writers clearly want us to see it as cute and how he's good at overcoming Miranda's "issues" when all I see is a man who won't take no for an answer.

I think the writers wanted to use Steve to see through Miranda's tough exterior. Steve was supposed to be the charming, simple guy-next-door type. Not suave, not smooth, not tough. Miranda slept with him a few hours after meeting him but then was trying to blow him off. I mean, if you don't want to give the impression you're interested you probably shouldn't let that person give you an orgasm (The More You Know). Miranda wasn't "uncomfortable" when Steve asked her out; she just figured he was full of shit, asking for a date even though he wasn't really interested. And she gave him a false time thinking she could BS her way out of not seeing him, but he saw through her shit.

The very next episode, he is continually making her late for work because he can't see her until after his bar shift.  That is all Miranda's fault apparently and, rather than do anything to compromise - like, for instance, when she complains that she needs to pick up her dry cleaning on Saturday morning offering to do it for her during the week or swapping shifts so that he can be available to see her earlier in the evening - he throws a hissy fit and makes her feel like a bad person, so she puts up with sleep deprivation and he gets what he wants.  Attractive.

I don't know that the show portrayed that as being Miranda's fault. She worked during the day and Steve worked all night. Steve might not have been as accommodating as he could've been, but Steve wasn't being a jerk about it, if I recall.

Then, the next episode, he doesn't tell her what he really feels about her buying him a suit and dumps her right before promising to attend a work function with her.  Honestly, on my first watch through the show, I assumed that that was the last we'd see of him because - surely - the writers liked Miranda too much to give her this creepy, uncompromising, selfish twat as a long-term partner.  But, no.

I will agree with you that that was a sucky reason to break up with Miranda and I definitely felt bad for her. She didn't deserve that. I still don't think Steve was a bad guy -- just insecure and paranoid and broke Miranda's heart without a good reason -- but I agree that was bad.

I...don't know. I mean, to thine ownself be true, and don't completely change who you are just for a man, but...you can't take it as a slap in the face every time you don't get your way, or even have room to act how you'd normally like to. More than just compromise, that's being an adult. Miranda was a grown-ass woman but she seemed burdened by compromise. Generally speaking, compromise is bad when someone wants you to give up something about yourself just to soothe that person's insecurities. If Steve wanted her to stop hanging out with the girls because he was super jealous, that's something Miranda shouldn't compromise on. But if you feel like you're giving up some big piece of yourself because you have to pay attention to your significant other or certain things you can't do or say because it might be hurtful or disrespectful to your spouse, you should check yourself first.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 2

I think the writers wanted to use Steve to see through Miranda's tough exterior. Steve was supposed to be the charming, simple guy-next-door type. Not suave, not smooth, not tough. Miranda slept with him a few hours after meeting him but then was trying to blow him off. I mean, if you don't want to give the impression you're not interested you probably shouldn't let that person give you an orgasm (The More You Know). Miranda wasn't "uncomfortable" when Steve asked her out; she just figured he was full of shit, asking for a date even though he wasn't really interested. And she gave him a false time thinking she could BS her way out of not seeing him, but he saw through her shit.

I don't know that the show portrayed that as being Miranda's fault. She worked during the day and Steve worked all night. Steve might not have been as accommodating as he could've been, but Steve wasn't being a jerk about it, if I recall.

I will agree with you that that was a sucky reason to break up with Miranda and I definitely felt bad for her. She didn't deserve that. I still don't think Steve was a bad guy -- just insecure and paranoid and broke Miranda's heart without a good reason -- but I agree that was bad.

I...don't know. I mean, to thine ownself be true, and don't completely change who you are just for a man, but...you can't take it as a slap in the face every time you don't get your way, or even have room to act how you'd normally like to. More than just compromise, that's being an adult. Miranda was a grown-ass woman but she seemed burdened by compromise. Generally speaking, compromise is bad when someone wants you to give up something about yourself just to soothe that person's insecurities. If Steve wanted her to stop hanging out with the girls because he was super jealous, that's something Miranda shouldn't compromise on. But if you feel like you're giving up some big piece of yourself because you have to pay attention to your significant other or certain things you can't do or say because it might be hurtful or disrespectful to your spouse, you should check yourself first.

I liked Steve. He was my favorite of the guys. Yes, I said it! And sure, he could be a whiny man-child and he definitely had insecurity issues. And Steve 1.0 (first meeting/after sleeping together the first time) was a lot more grown up to me than Steve 2.0, but I also don't personally think Miranda was so victimized by him. She gave Steve as much shit as he gave her. And she took him for granted as much as Steve did to her at times. But they saw through the flaws and loved each other, anyway.

What can I say? I'm easy. And I thought David Eigenberg and Cynthia Nixon had great chemistry. And, movie abominations aside, I think Steve adored Miranda, warts and all. So that gives him major points in my book.

• Love 5

Taking things in a slightly different direction - I never understood how Anthony did enough of an about face about Stanford that would have prompted them to get married (except for it being too convenient of a plot for the writers). :) (Didn't Stanford call him a "bitchy little pinenut"?)

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 2

One of my least favorite men was Berger and it has to do with the cowardly post-it note.

This is back from page 1.  If I may bore you with my personal life...I was seeing somebody who didn't want anything serious, which I respected & agreed with.  One day last month I got a usual "sexual bantering' type text from him...that very weekend he's with some other woman & she's been practically living with him ever since & I have not heard a peep (he's early 40s, by the way & we live in the same apt building).  So in conclusion...while the post-it was DEFINITELY cowardly, I can think of something MORE cowardly!!!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

I mean, if you don't want to give the impression you're interested you probably shouldn't let that person give you an orgasm

???  This was a major premise of the show:  women enjoying sex-as-sex just as many men do.

Miranda was a grown-ass woman but she seemed burdened by compromise.

This might be true of Miranda later on, but in her early dealings with Steve, I don't think she needed to compromise about what sort of relationship she was interested in having (or not having) with this guy she'd just met, any more than Aidan should have compromised on Carrie's smoking.  Steve was a bartender who slept around a lot.  He knew what a one-night-stand was -- and probably would have blown off any woman who tried to turn what he perceived as a ONS into a "relationship" that he didn't want.

• Love 1
This might be true of Miranda later on, but in her early dealings with Steve, I don't think she needed to compromise about what sort of relationship she was interested in having (or not having) with this guy she'd just met, any more than Aidan should have compromised on Carrie's smoking.

Okay, but...apparently, Miranda did like Steve if you go by the end of her chasing him in the rain. She got so caught up in the "Men are scum!" rhetoric bullshit, living her life vicariously through Carrie and Big's dysfunction that it appeared she really didn't trust that Steve wasn't bullshitting her about liking her until, inexplicably, Big came through for Carrie.

A) Carrie/Big are not Steve/Miranda and B) It was all sorts of fucked up that Miranda based her attitudes on THEM than what SHE was feeling which, honestly, we weren't really privy to until the end. That's just so beyond co-dependent.

So while Steve was pushy as hell...clearly, Miranda wasn't put off by it.

• Love 1

Apparently not!  It's still not going to make me think of him as a nice, boundary-respecting, guy though because he wasn't - the fact that Miranda put up with it, doesn't make me like him.  It's a bit like the scene with Carrie and Big in the elevator where she says no several times and pushes him away but he persists and she then gets into it - the fact that she responded to it eventually doesn't mean that Big's behaviour was ok or likeable.

I also just really really hated the way that the writers seemed to view quite stalkerish/creepy/pushy behaviour as absolutely fine, it was a horrible message.  

• Love 2

Okay, but...apparently, Miranda did like Steve if you go by the end of her chasing him in the rain. She got so caught up in the "Men are scum!" rhetoric bullshit, living her life vicariously through Carrie and Big's dysfunction that it appeared she really didn't trust that Steve wasn't bullshitting her about liking her until, inexplicably, Big came through for Carrie.

A) Carrie/Big are not Steve/Miranda and B) It was all sorts of fucked up that Miranda based her attitudes on THEM than what SHE was feeling which, honestly, we weren't really privy to until the end. That's just so beyond co-dependent.

Now it's time for me to heap some love on you, Wendy. Great post and you reminded of that whole element. I'd totally forgotten about the Carrie/Big angle when Miranda first met Steve. In fact, she had a semi-fight with Carrie for blowing her off to have dinner with Big when they were supposed to meet for drinks. But I guess since Miranda can't be mad at Carrie for longer than five minutes, Steve got the brunt of her ire. Well, him and Big.

You also made a really good point: Steve/Miranda aren't Big/Carrie. I think the show did a good job of separating them, but the first movie tried to make them sort of one in the same. Carrie was fairly unencumbered. She had a rich boyfriend and a pretty flexible career as a writer. She had time to bop around New York in heels having drinks and hanging out; Miranda didn't.

• Love 1

Glad you liked the spirit of my post, 27bored!  :-)  For all of the joking you and I and others here have done, sometimes, these relationships were so tangled up. It's amazing to me that these women were able to have semi-functional relationships outside of their core of 4 at all. The level of co-dependence was staggering, at times.

And yet, ironically, I did get drawn into the show because of the friendships. Such a dichotomy.

And yet, ironically, I did get drawn into the show because of the friendships. Such a dichotomy.

There really aren't a lot of shows that focus on female friendships, so that was always appealing to me about the show even if the friendships were often over the top.

• Love 2

There really aren't a lot of shows that focus on female friendships, so that was always appealing to me about the show even if the friendships were often over the top.

Yes to this!  I have to take the female friendships on TV when I can get 'em.

As for the guys, Smith was my absolute favorite. What a sweetie!  He was always up-front with Samantha, could be kind and romantic when she needed it in her life (but knew where her line was drawn), did not play games, and was just about the most mature person on the show.  Oh, and he was a cute, young hottie, so what's not to love.  I liked the progression of their relationship, and thought it ended realistically.  Samantha could never love any guy as much as she loves her friends, bottom line.

But I also liked Sam with Richard, who, though a womanizing creep, was a great character.  Watching them spar was a lot of fun!

I liked Berger a lot with Carrie.  They had great chemistry, and I think his low self-esteem and semi-jealousy over her book deal was treated very realistically.  I could never see them as a long-lasting couple anyway.  Breaking up with her via post-it fit in with his cowardly character, and since Carrie was kind of my least-favorite on the show, I liked that story arc.  Plus, the resulting episode, when they go to the dive bar, Samantha scores a doobie, Carrie almost gets arrested, and they all end up eating ice cream, is one of my absolute favorites.

• Love 2

Sam breaking up with Smith was one of those tone-deaf moments where the show presumed on the likability of one of its central characters. I felt like it erased a lot of the growth of the Samantha character that happened over the show and turned her into a caricature.

Because a womanizing hot guy moves in next door, you're so undone that you start binge eating, shopping compulsively, flying to NYC every ten minutes, and break up with your boyfriend of five years? I'm sorry but when people called Sam slutty, this is what they were talking about. And it bugs me because had Smith broken up with Sam because sleeping around felt more natural to him, her friends would be raking him over the coals. And I don't think its respectable to be knowingly aware that you're being selfish. "I love you, but I love me more" was about the most selfish thing she could've said considering he stayed with her through cancer and chemo. It made sense when said it Richard because it was an acknowledgement that she couldn't trust him after he cheated on her. Smith was faithful and loyal and Sam threw that relationship away because she wanted to bang the slutty dude next door.

• Love 8

Aidan was my favorite SATC guy.  He is my ideal guy.  Cute, good job, nice, manly but not a douchebag.

Oh, I sooo loathed Aidan and the whole "is he a friend or a boyfriend?" thing. I dated (I guess) a guy exactly like that once. We'd go out for dinner and a movie or just meet for drinks (date-like things) or get together to play raquetball or just hang out at each others places and talk for hours (friend-like things).  He would pick up the tab whenever we went out (date-like) yet he never made a move on me to take things to a physical level (friend-like). Talking on the phone once I mentioned I had just got out of the shower and was wearing nothing but a towel and he was all "I sure wish I was there right now to see that". Such mixed signals. Just man-up already and make your intentions clear. Don't draw a candlelit bubbble bath and then leave. Ick. 

But back to Aidan. I hated him! I wanted Carrie to smoke like a chimney and tell him if you don't like it, there's the door ....

In "All or Nothing" they are in bed at her apartment, with his dog. She gets a brief phone call and immediately decides to get out of bed to take his dog for a walk while wearing next to nothing and he doesn't think anything is weird about that. The dog comes back alone and then THREE HOURS later she comes back, soaking wet. And all he has to say is "he was getting worried" and that he can smell smoke on her. Bastard. Your girlfriend goes missing like that in NYC and all you do is sit around her apartment waiting? As soon as the dog came back without her (ridiculous BTW) he should have been calling her friends and the police and been out looking for her. And then she is all upset about "being a bad girlfriend" and he is all "it's OK". WTF? HE should have been apologizing up and down to her for being such a horrible boyfriend (and person in general) who didn't even care enough to go look for her and then has the nerve to chastise her about smoking while she was gone.  I just hated him. If I step out at night barely dressed, without money or keys or phone or ID or anything and the dog turns back up without me, my boyfriend better have the National Freakin' Guard out looking for me, 

Edited by RainOnToosdays
  • Love 1

I wanted Carrie to smoke like a chimney and tell him if you don't like it, there's the door ....

Carrie could have spared Aidan a lot of pain and grief if she had bothered to be that honest with him.  Instead, she lied about how much she actually smoked and proceeded to try to conceal this from Aidan while he got more invested in her. 

• Love 4

Carrie could have spared Aidan a lot of pain and grief if she had bothered to be that honest with him. Instead, she lied about how much she actually smoked and proceeded to try to conceal this from Aidan while he got more invested in her.

Seriously!!!

I didn't like them together strictly because they were so obviously unsuitable for each other, yet Carrie kept dragging him along because she didn't care a lick about his happiness or his needs in a partner. I wasn't a big Aidan fan, but I hated the way she dicked him around for so long.

She was pretty much a lying, selfish cheat who seemingly kept him around because he was a nice guy who treated her well, unlike Mr. Big. He was never more than a convenient rebound for her and she liked him because he was sweet and fed her ego, but she obviously had a bad boy fixation and a penchant for drama and complications that Mr. Big constantly offered---and Carrie has always craved a challenge in love, at least as far as I could tell. Aidan was just too available and easygoing for her.

• Love 3

Aleksandr was my least favorite of all Carrie's men.  I know we weren't supposed to like him in Paris but right from the beginning when they met at the performance art show I wasn't feeling the chemistry. Ugh, so arrogant and superior and always using that patronizing tone with Carrie.  And not attractive at all. 

• Love 2

Aleksandr was my least favorite of all Carrie's men. I know we weren't supposed to like him in Paris but right from the beginning when they met at the performance art show I wasn't feeling the chemistry. Ugh, so arrogant and superior and always using that patronizing tone with Carrie. And not attractive at all.

I *never* understood what she saw in him either, especially running off and leaving her entire successful lifestyle she'd built for herself just to play a Parisian concubine to some aloof, self-absorbed artist type. He just seemed so creepy and controlling with her, always talking down to her and treating her like his silly little American pet girlfriend.

Granted, it provided a natural plot device and a dramatic way for Mr. Big to come back into her life and seemingly rescue her from "The Russian", but that whole storyline didn't fit the vibe of her character at all.

At least to SJP's immense acting credit, she was able to make us believe that Carrie somehow decided it was a fun idea to suddenly jump into such a glamorous life revision of love and fashion Parisian-style.

• Love 3
(edited)

I always saw the Carrie/Aidan thing as Carrie desperately trying to conjure attraction to a good guy. Having had a bad-boy fixation myself I did the same thing on occasion. It took a very bad (short lived) marriage filled with constant drama/abuse/cheating to enable me to change my taste in men. Not that she wasn't using him, obviously, but I understand the reasoning. 

Edited by bubbls

I don't think he did, the writer was lazy.  She referred to Big as a publisher when he was in real estate.

Hmm, did Noth & SJP ever date in real life?  I've never heard or seen anything about that before.  Anyone have any details to prove they did or did not?  For some weird reason this is going to bother me until I know for sure!! 

I liked Big.   He was always fun, and funny, a huge relief from ever-self-absorbed Carrie.   Even when married to Natasha, he exuded a sense of independence and freedom.   I guess that's one of the perks of being rich and successful.

Hated Aidan.   I couldn't figure out what a guy like him was doing in the city in the first place.   Suffern is where he belonged.   And the way he let Carrie treat him like crap for so long.    Take a hint, pal.   But probably the bulk of my dislike lies with the actor, who brought too much Chris In the Morning to the role.   And now, on rewatch, I keep waiting for Aidan to ask Carrie to walk Pete down to the corner of Happy and Healthy.  

Trey was another actor issue.   Kyle McLachlan should kiss David Lynch's feet for giving him a career because I think if it had been up to anyone else he never would have gotten a call-back.   Character-wise, I liked that in the end Trey understood his own shortcomings and did what he could to make it up to Charlotte.   After that he should probably have given up all hope of ever pleasing a woman, because if he couldn't get it up for Charlotte York, well ...

Harry and Charlotte ... hell no.   Harry is grotesque.   But then, Charlotte had impulse sex with the beastly Hassidic chain-smoking artist, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she took up with Harry.   Still ...

Smith was the best of them all of course.   He appealed to everyone, was genuinely nice to everyone, and apparently wasn't hung up on his own physical perfection.   He could only exist in fiction.   But it was nice knowing him.

Couldn't stand simpering Stanford and his Florida retiree condo couture.   I did enjoy Anthony, though. 

• Love 2

I think he just speaks well of her is all.

That would have actually been compelling to watch - a genuinely good man for Carrie vs. the history/chemistry with Big

I don't see how anyone could see Berger as a genuinely good man, certainly compared to Big.

Hmm, I preferred Berger. He was insecure and immature, but I got what he was going through. I liked that they showed the more difficult side of being a writer, compared to Carrie's somewhat inexplicable success. I also thought he initially had the most chemistry with Carrie compared to any of her men.

He may have thrown a hissy fit over the scrruuuuuunchy, but I find that preferable to cheating on one's wife like Big did.

• Love 2

I don't see how anyone could see Berger as a genuinely good man, certainly compared to Big.

Berger was extremely insecure (and the Post-It was cowardly) but he wasn't a bad guy. He and Carrie were good together in the beginning and actually communicated. There weren't any mind games for the most part, and if he hadn't been in a career slump, he would have been a good match for Carrie. They seemed to be on the same wavelength more so than Carrie and her other boyfriends.

• Love 3

I know it's only a TV show, but who introduces their new boyfriend to a group of friends in the way that Carrie did?  Geez, have a small party with both his friends and yours, or meet with each friend and her S.O. individually for a social outing, like a baseball game or a movie or something.  It actually made me think less of Berger that he'd agree to be showcased for Carrie's friends the way he was in the "scrunchie" episode.  And don't even get me started on the fact that he had to give Carrie a copy of his book to read -- she should have bought herself a copy the moment she was interested in him.  Harrumph!

• Love 1

I once reconnected with an old boyfriend (about 20 years after the first connection) and when telling a friend the story, said "Remember the episode of Sex and the City when Carrie got back together with her high school boyfriend...."   She reminded me "At the end of the episode, David Duchovny ended up in a mental institution."  I should have heeded her warning. 

• Love 5

The most well-adjusted guy Carrie ever dated was Jeremy, her old boyfriend from high school.   Of course, he was living in a mental institution at the time ...

That's funny and yet sad. I've wonder what happened to men after dating Carrie. From her constant drama to flipping out over anything and everything. One minute she wants to go out and party, the next she's freaking out about something. You took her to the wrong club, the wrong restaurant, you looked at a girl, you tried to spend a minute talking about yourself and she's wondering why the topic got off her. She tells them she doesn't want to be pinned down then freaks out as to why you don't want to be exclusive. No matter what you say to her she'd going to take it the wrong way or analyze what you said. She's been known to stalk boyfriends and their exes. I wonder how many ended up in therapy after dating her.

• Love 3
(edited)

Seriously, Carrie was so damned high-maintenance...and insanely unrealistic with her expectations of her men.

I mean, this was a chick who quit her awesome job/ditched her amazing friends/left her unreal Manhattan co-op just on a ridiculous whim to go live in Paris with some older Russian artist she barely knew, after all. And then she was shocked that he was too busy working on the biggest art show of his career to spend any quality time with her while she was there doing nothing but being his fawning fuck-buddy?! Da fuq did she expect out of the man??

I'll never forget the fit she threw over Mr. Big moving to Paris without her. Yes, he was a total dick about it, but she didn't have to throw hamburgers at the guy and have a ridiculous meltdown like a big baby.

Then there was the time she got prowling around that one dude's apartment...and then Natasha caught her prowling around her apartment with Big. Never mind that she was a creepy prowler type with anger issues.

Which reminds me---Carrie was always throwing things...hamburgers...pots of flowers...wedding bouquets...fried chicken...fits...such a very childish lover.

Yet I still liked Carrie overall, much to the credit of SJP's immense charms as an actress. But lord, what a nightmare she would be to date...and then she'd write all about it later!!

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 6

How was he a dick about it?

They'd been dating for a few months, maybe about a year((and this was after they'd gotten back together from their first breakup, back when she ditched him right before a beach vacation because he wouldn't tell her he "loved" her or was "the one" yet)) and had gotten very close.

So Mr. Big sort of flippantly mentioned that his job was moving him to Paris. Carrie was sad but somewhat perplexed why he wasn't more open about it and include her in his decision. She finally cheers up and tells him it's cool, she supports his decision and she'll visit him there and that she'll make arrangements to move there later too, to which he responded with the line that made her lose her shit and toss burgers at him, "Well, you'd be moving there for you, don't move there just for me, I just don't want you to expect anything."

So yes, he was a dick about his work move in that he wasn't too understanding of her feelings of their status as a couple and pretty much emotionally checked out of their relationship after that.

• Love 1

See I just see him not wanting her to explode until he knew more and then him being honest with her.  I think women sometimes forget that's a good thing (I am one).  I don't blame him for checking out of this hamburger throwing bitch.

• Love 3

See I just see him not wanting her to explode until he knew more and then him being honest with her.

I tend to think this way too. He wasn't even telling her not to come but being honest that he shouldn't be the only reason he move to Paris. Maybe it was dickish to tell her not to expect anything. But it was also honest. She's seeing moving to Paris to mean something and full of expectations. And he's not. He's moving there yes. But he's still not ready for what she wants him to be ready for. But she didn't want to hear anything but what she wanted to her. Its not too different from their first break up when she wanted him to say he was in love with her or she was the one.

See I just see him not wanting her to explode until he knew more

I thought he was being evasive and stringing her along.  Although he said "I might have to move to Paris," it seemed he knew it was a done deal.  Also, IIRC, he had said by this point that he loved Carrie.  Although I agree that Carrie, being Carrie, totally over-reacted, I did think that Big owed her more consideration that he showed.

• Love 3

She finally cheers up and tells him it's cool, she supports his decision and she'll visit him there and that she'll make arrangements to move there later too, to which he responded with the line that made her lose her shit and toss burgers at him, "Well, you'd be moving there for you, don't move there just for me, I just don't want you to expect anything."

That's not dickish. It's blunt, but dickish would have been something sarcastic or mean. He was calm and measured about the whole thing - his one sin was not bowing down to Carrie. It's more than a little presumptuous to assume that your boyfriend of a few months is going to want you to move to another continent, I think. They weren't serious at that point, moving in together wasn't discussed, much less marriage. Carrie came off as a horrid immature drama queen in that scene, what with the fury out of nowhere and the burger-throwing.

• Love 4

That's not dickish. It's blunt, but dickish would have been something sarcastic or mean. He was calm and measured about the whole thing - his one sin was not bowing down to Carrie. It's more than a little presumptuous to assume that your boyfriend of a few months is going to want you to move to another continent, I think. They weren't serious at that point, moving in together wasn't discussed, much less marriage. Carrie came off as a horrid immature drama queen in that scene, what with the fury out of nowhere and the burger-throwing.

That's what I was trying to say in my post but you said it so much better. I thought the same thing when I saw the scene.

• Love 1

Especially since it was half-off! ;)

Although I thought the book he gave her was one that hadn't hit the shelves yet. That's why he reacted so poorly to her single criticism, he needed a rebound after the last one flopped.

Just watched part of "Lights, Camera, Relationship!" where Carrie runs into Courtney (Amy Sedaris) who's just been fired by the publisher.  One of the things Courtney says about Jack Berger is "They never should have dropped his 2nd book option."  I had interpreted that to mean the 2nd book never reached publication stage.  Maybe he gave Carrie a galley-proof version of the 2nd book for her to read?  Hard to say.  Still strikes me as odd that this seemed to be the first time she was reading anything he'd written, given that he'd had a first book out for some time.  Whatevs!