Type keyword(s) to search

Miranda

Miranda was always my favorite. I've liked Cynthia Nixon since she played Sunshine the hippie girl in Little Darlings.

I know that a lot of people hated this from the second movie but I was happy that Miranda realized that her family was most important and left her job.

She can always get a job but Brady will only be young once and I'm happy she realized that

And now I feel weird talking about these people like they're real.

• Love 3

I think she saw herself as being a catch and Steve being lucky to be with her, not unlike Charlotte with Harry.

This is from a post in the Men thread from 27bored. 

I so agree with this! During the series there was quite a bit of time spent on how Miranda and Steve were from different "classes." There was a scene with them all getting pedicures where they discussed this. I think that was the source of a lot of Miranda's problems with Steve, and she never really put it behind her when they got married. She was the alpha dog in that relationship, and also the main breadwinner after they got married. That's a much more common occurrence these days, but most of the discussion about it is around whether or not a guy can handle being in a relationship with a woman who out-earns him. But the other side of that isn't really talked about it, which is, how do women feel about it?

Now Miranda was absolutely an independent woman and successful in her career. But I think there was still a tiny little seed of a Donna Reed type sensibility buried deep within her psyche, that felt like the man should be the provider. She was never totally comfortable with Steve. I think she saw herself as being out of his league, because she had a college education and a high-powered job, whereas he was "just" a bartender. I wouldn't say that Miranda was "slumming" when she was with Steve, but I would say that many times I thought she acted like she was doing him a huge favor by being with him. And feeling that you're superior to your spouse can be a poisonous thing for your relationship, and I think that it manifested itself in ways like Miranda treating Steve like a giant to-do list, and that sex was just one more thing to be crossed off of it.

• Love 4

And feeling that you're superior to your spouse can be a poisonous thing for your relationship, and I think that it manifested itself in ways like Miranda treating Steve like a giant to-do list, and that sex was just one more thing to be crossed off of it.

I agree with this I think sometimes Miranda felt like she had too much success generally and felt that went against her an example when she went speed dating and lied and said she was an air hostess.

• Love 1

The way I felt about it was that I just plain did not get the sense that Miranda was in love with Steve - there were really extremely few episodes where they weren't in conflict.  Of course, it's a TV show and they need storylines so it's not going to be completely plain sailing but Miranda didn't even enjoy their two day honeymoon!

I loved Miranda as a character overall, what I didn't love was the sense I had that the writers felt they needed to punish/humiliate her in order to maker her worthy.  

• Love 4

Of course, it's a TV show and they need storylines

It was also extremely inconsistent. One episode they are so comfortable with each other, they're in a rut and having sex on a washing machine, the next episode they are screeching at each other and breaking up. Oy.

Edited by AndySmith

Upon re-watch of season 4 forward, it's weird that the writers had Miranda take such little joy in motherhood. It was realistic that she was overwhelmed, irritated, and exhausted, but they hardly showed the happier aspects of motherhood. She was reluctant to even find out the baby's gender, hang photos on the fridge (those were Magda's), buy supplies, and generally decide what kind of parent she wanted to be.

The only scene I could think of off the top of my head was in Carrie's book launch party episode where Brady's crying scared the guy she was with off. There's this really beautiful moment where she holds Brady up and he smiles, and Cynthia looks stunning, and the VO goes "She wasn't the same person. She was plus one."

I'm not a mother, so maybe it was a realistic portrayal. I had a mom tell me once that motherhood is rewarding in the long run, but difficult in the short run. Maybe that's what was going on with Miranda.

Miranda broke my heart. She didn't want to be a mother, she didn't really want Steve, and yet she was so kind-hearted that she gave in to other people's visions of her, legal career notwithstanding. I felt sorry for her way too often.

• Love 2

Miranda broke my heart. She didn't want to be a mother, she didn't really want Steve, and yet she was so kind-hearted that she gave in to other people's visions of her, legal career notwithstanding. I felt sorry for her way too often.

Sorry, I just really must disagree here. Yes, Miranda was, at best, apathetic about her pregnancy, but she was the one that chose not to go through with aborting it. Even Charlotte reluctantly supported Miranda's decision to abort, but in the end, Miranda stopped it. And she did speak of this possibly "being her last chance" to be a mother, so apparently it wasn't something she was totally against.

As for Steve, they did split more than once, but it was Miranda again who started questioning herself. It was Miranda who realized she loved Steve, it was Miranda who made the first move in that laundry room, and it was Miranda who proposed to Steve. So I don't see where she really didn't want Steve, either.

I didn't see Miranda as letting shit happen to her. She was too willful for that.

• Love 4

I think she wanted Steve, but only because that's the only way I can buy someone dumping Blair Underwood.

I really liked Debbie. I thought she was sweet and for my money, more compatible with Steve than Miranda.

Anyway, the reason I identify with Miranda so much is because I think she was much more the everywoman than Carrie was, IMO. They dressed her hideously in the early seasons and she was insecure about her looks, she got dumped and/or passed over a lot more so than the other women, she struggled to find her place at the firm, and she spent a lot of time watching TIVO. A  whole lot of women could identify with her, but since she didn't have the fantasy life that Carrie did, she's not as popular.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
On 9/28/2015 at 7:23 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

I think she wanted Steve, but only because that's the only way I can buy someone dumping Blair Underwood.

I really liked Debbie. I thought she was sweet and for my money, more compatible with Steve than Miranda.

Anyway, the reason I identify with Miranda so much is because I think she was much more the everywoman than Carrie was, IMO. They dressed her hideously in the early seasons and she was insecure about her looks, she got dumped and/or passed over a lot more so than the other women, she struggled to find her place at the firm, and she spent a lot of time watching TIVO. A  whole lot of women could identify with her, but since she didn't have the fantasy life that Carrie did, she's not as popular.

Yes, Miranda had been in love with Steve for a while, so I was able to easily buy her dumping Blair Underwood. I absolutely love the scene when she finally tells him she loves him - I'd been waiting for that forever and did not know it happened during Brady's party. I do feel bad for Debbie though - she was indeed a sweet girl who seemed to really care for Steve. 

Miranda is the most frustrating character for me because she is very relatable on some levels, but she could be such a bitch sometimes that I just wanted to smack her. She was so rude to Steve (and others) that she's lucky that he gave her the time of day, let alone got back with her. 

• Love 4

I say Steve is luckier to have Miranda than vice a versa. Steve could frequently be a passive aggressive petulant needy child- incredibly unattractive. Steve did very well for himself by picking Miranda. She’s the kind of woman who lets him stay at her apartment even after they broke up and he’s actually dating from her couch, manages his cancer treatment and would both go testicle shopping and stop him from putting the equivalent of a Pinto next to his dick, and almost single handedly jump start a family without any need for immediate commitment from him.

Miranda can certainly be overbearing and harsh and smug to the point that I’ve actually cringed watching her. But with the exception of the one time she tried stealing Skipper from his date on a whim, she pretty much always tries to do the right thing. 

• Love 9

Hmm, I'd say Miranda and Steve both have their good and bad points. But I guess you could say that about any two people, LOL. But Miranda frustrated me more often than Steve did. The whole cereal - Scooby-Doo thing I think was just a way for the writers to give us a reason to root for Miranda when she broke up with him. Because before that he was perfectly fine. Afterwards the only time I can remember being a little bit annoyed with Steve was when he was freaking out about dealing with Brady. But then again that's understandable, he's never dealt with a child before. Of course neither had Miranda, and she also had her moments with Brady. 

I think they are a good match and I'm so glad that they got back together. I did see the last half of the first movie so I know that they have more hardships down the road, but I also know that they end up together. Love that scene on the bridge and looking forward to seeing it again, especially now that I know the history of their relationship.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Hmm, I'd say Miranda and Steve both have their good and bad points. But I guess you could say that about any two people, LOL. But Miranda frustrated me more often than Steve did. The whole cereal - Scooby-Doo thing I think was just a way for the writers to give us a reason to root for Miranda when she broke up with him. Because before that he was perfectly fine. Afterwards the only time I can remember being a little bit annoyed with Steve was when he was freaking out about dealing with Brady. But then again that's understandable, he's never dealt with a child before. Of course neither had Miranda, and she also had her moments with Brady. 

I think they are a good match and I'm so glad that they got back together. I did see the last half of the first movie so I know that they have more hardships down the road, but I also know that they end up together. Love that scene on the bridge and looking forward to seeing it again, especially now that I know the history of their relationship.

Oh, I hated the Scooby-Doo cereal thing! Didn't he once read Chekhov in a bar? They definitely put that in to give Miranda reason to dump him.      

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, I hated the Scooby-Doo cereal thing! Didn't he once read Chekhov in a bar? They definitely put that in to give Miranda reason to dump him.      

When Miranda met Steve at the bar, he was reading Hemingway and begged her to stay and chat (after Carrie stood Miranda up) so he wouldn't have to listen to kids talking about Fiona Apple. Hee.

I also adored that "Blue Moon" scene early on when Steve called her from a pay phone (ah, how quaint) at 2:00 a.m. just so Miranda could see a blue moon.

The writers REALLY dumbed Steve down later so Miranda could easily dump him. In some SATC book, even David Eigenberg complained about Steve's obvious regression, so he was aware, anyway.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

When Miranda met Steve at the bar, he was reading Hemingway and begged her to stay and chat (after Carrie stood Miranda up) so he wouldn't have to listen to kids talking about Fiona Apple. Hee.

I also adored that "Blue Moon" scene early on when Steve called her from a pay phone (ah, how quaint) at 2:00 a.m. just so Miranda could see a blue moon.

The writers REALLY dumbed Steve down later so Miranda could easily dump him. In some SATC book, even David Eigenberg complained about Steve's obvious regression, so he was aware, anyway.

I forgot about the blue moon. That was such a nice moment. Steve was really cool before they dumbed him down.

• Love 4

In his very first episode, there was a glimpse that Steve would be an Intellectual Bartender with his own sharp wit. However, very soon thereafter, he settled into the role he’d play for years- a simple, immature man. His later dumbed down character doesn’t seem OOC to me. The Hemingway reading music-snarker from his first scene is the OOC Steve to me because we had so much less of him. 

But I wasn’t into Steve from the first ep. It ticked me off that he couldn’t take “no” for an answer from Miranda even though he was rewarded for his pushiness as most men in these stories are. The blue moon thing ended on a nice note but the run up was him constantly demanding Miranda stay up for him at night and give up sleep while he wouldn’t give up any bed-time in the morning for her. Soon, he stood her up at her firm dinner for a stupid reason. He was particularly intolerable on Round 1. He was better on Round 2 but still, throwing a basketball like a surly four year old because she didn’t watch his practice for a long shot or not wiping his own ass when his girlfriend does laundry or pouting over getting treated for an STD was more crappiness even before the “I want a baby NOW” Scooby stuff. Also thought it was crappy that he was dating while crashing on her couch after they just broke up and IIRC gave Miranda’s home phone to a date (hence the message on Miranda’s machine). None of this was malicious but this stuff would be deal breakers for me. I’d rather be alone than deal with this. Actually, I think Miranda’s friends could talk a big game of Steve-support but they wouldn’t tolerate Steve and how so much of “romance” with him boils down to drudgery. I think Samantha was the only one honest to say Miranda’s relationship with Steve is her worst nightmare. 

• Love 2

There's no reason Miranda couldn't go watch him practice. He was obviously very excited about the chance to take the shot. She was mostly miserable and it grated. While watching, both my sister and I must've said "Omg she's such a bitch" about a hundred times. We certainly pointed out Steve's flaws as well, but Miranda was more annoying to us.

As for the thing about drudgery, most of everyday life is routine and doing things we'd rather not have to do. That's real life. While Carrie had the grand fantasy relationships, Miranda and Steve had the most realistic one of all the characters. I don't get why people think Miranda should've stayed single or kept dating a guy who turned out to be a jerk instead of being with a man who clearly loved her, a man whose baby she chose to keep, and most importantly,  a man she loved. She made it happen by telling Steve when she did. She wanted to be with him. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

There's no reason Miranda couldn't go watch him practice. He was obviously very excited about the chance to take the shot. She was mostly miserable and it grated. While watching, both my sister and I must've said "Omg she's such a bitch" about a hundred times. We certainly pointed out Steve's flaws as well, but Miranda was more annoying to us.

Wasn't Miranda doing billable work to prepare a legal brief on a deadline?  And she was supposed to drop that to go watch Steve "practice" for an impossible half-court basketball throw?  She could have been a little more supportive about his excitement rather than brushing it off, but I don't see any problem with the way she prioritized her time.  If it had been Harry working a deadline while Charlotte insisted he go down to the dance studio to watch her practice Tea for Two, I'd feel the same way.  ;-)

• Love 8

What @Inquisitionist said about Steve and Miranda. Miranda could have feigned enthusiasm a little better, sure. But Steve was an asshole to throw a basketball in a tantrum because she wasn’t dropping work to indulge him. I just don’t think dropping work to go see practice for a long shot is something couples owe each other. It’s what parents owe their minor children- and even that can be de-prioritized with work. All adults though should be prepared to play by themselves. 

I agree that drudgery is part of most life and a big part of successful relationships is nicely dealing with drudgery as opposed to eliminating it because the latter is the stuff of fairy tales. Miranda was the most realistic character. In a few instances, the drudgery and problems and compromises of Miranda/Steve made sense. Like moving to Brooklyn or dealing with Steve’s cancer or eating at cheap places that Steve could afford. I get why Miranda gave in or dealt with ugliness there. I would too. It’s them dealing with lifes challenges. But in all of the examples I named in my last post, I don’t believe it was fair or reasonable drudgery that everyone has to swim through. Instead, it was Steve being selfish or sloppy or ridiculous or only driven by Id and creating needless drudgery for Miranda. 

• Love 3

I just wonder how Miranda ever made partner in a Manhattan law firm AND had a social life. That is almost like science fiction. 

But she was always the funniest of the four. I yelped with joy when I later saw "Little Darlings" on VHS and recognized her!

I grew up in a neighborhood full of Steves (Queens, not Brooklyn), so he was my favorite guy on the series. He was exactly what Miranda needed.

• Love 5