Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E00: Special: Where Are They Now?

Wow - that went by fast.  Who'd have thought the Augustine follow-up would nearly have me in tears.  I thought she'd be a "hopeless" case.  She even had light behind those eyes.  And happy for Susan too.  Wasn't there a brother too, though?  Jason?

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin...  he really thinks his only income is from dumpster diving and his hoard?  And that he doesn't have a trust fund?  He also has 10-ish storage units and 3 vans full of hoard.  But he can't be committed?  Wow.

I know there were others, but those are sticking out in my head right now.  Glad they ended on a good note too.  Ruth?  Such tragedy, but glad she was a success story.  

• Love 1

Kevin's lack of touch with reality was mindblowing. I am shocked that nobody stepped in to help him find an adequate place to live. I'm sure he has the financial means if he has a trust from his parents. How could he not know/believe it?

(edited)

Augustine - I find it bizarre that she has to be told all these years later that she ought to say "thank you." Considering all her children have done and continue to do for her. I readily admit that you'll never squeeze "I love you," out of some folks, but everyone has learned "thank you." Indeed, she has a son named Jason who I believe commented on the show board at our dear, departed TWOP.

Shannon - The mother with 4 kids who were taken by CPS. The son lived in a shed on the property for a time. When the show was through, the place still looked ramshackle. The catch-up episode highlighted for the first time that yes, children of hoarders who appear on the show will be bullied. I couldn't believe how many indoor animals the family has, present day. It must feel so crowded and loud. I know I don't have enough time and attention to dole out to a herd of animals. Let alone the cost to feed them.

Constance - vile. As I recall, she was given a whole new living space at the clean up's end, which makes me sick. In general. Add to that she's hoarded up her donated digs.

Kevin - You know, for all the talk of Adult Protective Services, you would think they'd haul him off. He believes he has no money and has to hole up in vans? All of your money is tied up in storage! You're not a revolutionary, you're delusional and disrespectful to those facing real poverty and homelessness. If he was evicted by marshal, he's practically a criminal. I don't think this man is entitled to assisted living. He needs in-patient psychiatric care until he faces reality. If he ever does.

Ruth - I don't remember her in the slightest, but I'm all for ending on a positive note. 

Edited by ScullyInApt42
  • Love 1
(edited)

I know I don't have enough time and attention to dole out to a herd of animals.

Yup. You don't. I don't. And neither does Shannon. She is still hoarding animals. Major side-eye to Matt Paxton (who I have grown to despise) for saying it's clear she "loves her animals" as they show a fuck ton of birds all jammed into one cage. That family still lives in squalor and that house (as well as that last one) looked professionally staged.

Also, not feeling it with the fake sobbing and the wiping away of the non-existent tear in Shannon's daughter's eyes.

Wasn't feeling Auguatine's forced "I care for you" line either. Augustine does not give a shit about her daughter or her son and will not ever. I feel bad for the daughter -- she should have, like her brother, walked away.

Edited by Guest

Constance - vile. As I recall, she was given a whole new living space at the clean up's end, which makes me sick. In general. Add to that she's hoarded up her donated digs.

That really pissed me off too, she destroyed her old trailer, & she gets rewarded with a brand new one. I seem to remember that she was also rude to the guy who donated the new trailer too, he was speaking to her & she just ignored him or something like that.

• Love 1

I think it would have killed Augustine to say "I love you" directly to her daughter.  She was doing it for the camera and to satisfy her "boyfriend" John.  Glad she's out of that hellhole of a house she created and not wheezing (I think the wheezing made me want to strangle her in the first follow-up).  She's got to be the only person to ever get two reality-show follow-ups.

Kevin - I know you can't smell a person through a tv screen but he looks clean and healthy (physically).  His clothes look in fairly good condition, even his facial hair is relatively unscraggly.  For somebody who eats out of trash cans, he looks healthier than Shannon and her family who are caring for a menagerie in their home and look like they eat nothing but convenience store food.  I don't know what to say about his choice to live outdoors and hoard "recyclables" - clearly nutty as a loon, but is he hurting anybody?

Shannon and family: her one daughter looks exactly like her and this is not a compliment.  They obviously do not have a "healthy" lifestyle and with so many animals to feed (and does she work?) how are they paying for all of that?  I also don't believe they are necessarily living as clean as it appeared on this episode. 

I don't remember Constance or the lady at the end but the one whose husband and two kids had died tragically (heart attack, suicide in the bathroom-turned-into-shrine, and something else) was a good ending.  Glad to see the show has helped a few people who have gotten better and stayed better. 

• Love 2

Shannon and family and their animals made me cringe.  What were the circumstances of moving to that new house? Was she evicted from it because of the hoarding? inquiring minds want to know.  As for those animals, I have a feeling the only reason that they are in that house is so there's room for the numerous animals.  Shaking my head at that situation.  No Matt, they really don't love those animals if they have to have that many of them jammed in those quarters.  I think the only reason the place looked as good as it did was because the kids are doing it.  Those were the only ones we saw doing any cleaning.  Shannon was too busy preening over her birds.  I'm giving Matt the side-eye too.

Surprised by the Augustine development.  I've got a feeling that the meds she's on have made a big difference in her state of mind.  Wasn't one of her initial problems that her husband left her and she was majorly bitter to both her children about him.  Now that she has "her man" paying attention to her, she's all pleasant natured for him.

I've missed this show. Seeing the Got Junk trucks roll up, even in flashback mode, gave me a thrill. It was good to see Matt, Dorothy, Robin & Suzanne again. I've missed them too.

The guy who is now living on the streets full time is such a perfect example of a mentally disordered thought process. It's hard to grasp the way he thinks but it's obvious he believes himself completely.

Augustine still annoyed me. I guess I just can't get beyond the way she was. Although it was nice that she said something decent to her daughter, I can't help but wonder if she didn't have her man friend if she would've.

Ruth's story was hard to watch the first time & it was difficult again. The pain she's been through is horrible. I was so glad to see she's doing well. I thought it was sweet & pretty smart of her daughter to set up that fan page. What a nice update.

Watching inspired me yet again & I went through closets & kitchen cabinets & made a donation run. I love organizing & consolidating. It gives me such a good feeling. Thanks Hoarders.

• Love 2

I'm beyond happy that we had a new show and I was dying to post somewhere last night but couldn't find a Hoarders thread!

Sooooo anyone else see the resemblance between Shannon and Shrek? Not that I'm a beauty queen or anything but that first closeup with the chiclet teeth! Eeeeeek!

And I have no feelings of goodwill towards Augustine. I do feel sorry for her daughter who is starving for any scrap of affection she might get from that awful hag. My icy cold heart melted and I cried a little for her. Then I hated Augustine even more!

I do miss this show!

Holy crap, did I miss this show. I didn't realize how much until I heard that "weep---whoop" sound effect that they use when they first introduce who is who and the White Screen of Judgment fades in.

For some reason, I was thinking that Kevin had a brother at one time. Mom and Dad had died, and then the brother had some type of guardianship over Kevin, but then the brother died, too and left Kevin to his own devices. Am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

For somebody who eats out of trash cans, he looks healthier than Shannon and her family who are caring for a menagerie in their home and look like they eat nothing but convenience store food.  I don't know what to say about his choice to live outdoors and hoard "recyclables" - clearly nutty as a loon, but is he hurting anybody?

If you read the linked article, the people being hurt are his neighbors who have to live with a reek that makes their eyes water in summer time. I'm positive they have a roach problem as well, because I had a neighbor who was a trash picker and the whole time she lived there, we had roaches. Kevin got away with this for years because he has money.

Ah Hoarders, how I've missed you! Even Dr. Tanya Harding (Tanya Hoarding?). Or maybe her especially.

I'm not sure if Augustine will ever be in a place where she can show normal love and gratitude to Susan, but boy did love, attention, good food and a brand new environment make a difference. She's just blossomed. I guess Jason is out.

Shannon's poor daughter has gotten as big as a house. Shame. And Shannon just looks unhealthy.

I do remember Ruth's story. I remember thinking how crappy it was to make her guy up her husband's pants. Yes, she had a ton of other stuff that needed to go. But I didn't see how keeping the pants would hurt.