Type keyword(s) to search

In the Media: The Blogs Must Be Crazy

Saw this on Elizabeth Warren's Facebook page:

The first time Jon Stewart invited me onto The Daily Show six years ago, I threw up backstage. I had gut-wrenching, stomach-turning stage fright. I was a no-name college professor there in 2009 to talk about oversight of the Wall Street bailout. It was important – and I didn’t want to mess up and become the joke. The first couple of minutes seemed so terrible, I thought I would have to resign from my new position on the TARP Congressional Oversight Panel. But when we got to the commercial break, Jon could tell that I hadn’t said what I’d come to say. He took my arm, told me to stay in my seat -- and then he let me deliver this message. That moment changed my life.
I’m grateful for every single time someone has come up to me and asked: “Hey, aren’t you that lady I saw on Jon Stewart?” Because almost every time I’ve told someone, “Yup, that’s me,” they’ve followed it up with: “Keep fighting!” That’s what Jon has done for 16 years: with passion and humor, he skewered the people who needed skewering, called out the big guys who rig the system, and prodded us all to fight back.
Thanks, Jon!

I remember her first interview and I was very impressed by her. I had no idea she was so nervous, or that Jon let her stay longer say what she wanted to say.   I think he's part of the reason she is a US Senator now.   

• Love 2
Arby's did 2 goodbye ads for Jon.

Those were hilarious.  Well done, Arbys (now that's not something you get to say...almost ever). 

Arbys:  Because they understand marketing, even if actual food mystifies them.  

• Love 2

I wonder if other late-night hosts will comment on Jon Stewart leaving, like they did when Letterman left.

Jimmy Kimmel is showing a rerun tonight (actually, he's off all week)....

But Kimmel, who shares the same agent as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert -- a guy named James "Baby Doll" Dixon -- was inadvertantly responsible for Stewart staying on The Daily Show. (Stewart was briefly up for the job Kimmel currently has.)

Here's Kimmel in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/08/05/how-jon-stewart-jolted-late-night/31100823/

"He created something that did not exist," says late-night rival Jimmy Kimmel. "He made the show from a funny show to an important show. No one expected that to happen. Instead of a parody of the news, it became a critique of the news."

Arbys:  Because they understand marketing, even if actual food mystifies them.

Arby's brought the "Jon Stewart" sandwich to everyone in line for yesterday's show. The correspondents gave everyone water.

• Love 1

Saw this on Elizabeth Warren's Facebook page:

I remember her first interview and I was very impressed by her. I had no idea she was so nervous, or that Jon let her stay longer say what she wanted to say.   I think he's part of the reason she is a US Senator now.   

I remembered that interview. It was a two segmenter. The first one showed Warren looking not very good and nervous. But in the second one, she found her legs and was able to deliver her message perfectly. Good to know Jon was there to help her calm her nerves down. It made a big difference.

Those Arby's ads were hilarious. I'd be interested to know if they benefited from Jon making them a running gag for so long.

Nice tributes given Jon's way. Well, except for O'Reilly, who just can't help making himself look like a tool.

• Love 1
Those Arby's ads were hilarious. I'd be interested to know if they benefited from Jon making them a running gag for so long.

The last article in @solotrek's post at the top of this page had the following quote;

Arby’s said the negative comments have not hurt its brand and the resulting online chatter has been largely positive.  “Collectively, what is going on has resulted in uplift of business performance,” said Paul Brown, Arby’s chief executive, pointing out that same-store sales were up 9.6%  for the first quarter and up 7.6% in the second quarter.
  • Love 1

Try to catch tonight's Rachel Maddow show with had at least two segments about Jon, it was a pretty insightful segment on why he'll be missed.

And tomorrow there will be a special in Maddow's time slot, Jon Stewart Has Left the Building. It's not in my cable listings so I"m guessing it was a last-minute addition to the scheduel.

Not sure where to put this, but Amazon is having a special sale in honor of Jon (today only) of Kindle versions of 52 books written by guests of The Daily Show.   I bought a few for myself.  

• Love 2

Apparently, Don Lemon's not a big fan:

http://www.thewrap.com/cnns-don-lemon-pours-cold-water-on-jon-stewart-legacy-brilliant-man-who-took-moments-out-of-context/

My verdict: once again, Lemon lives up to his last name, as in his being as bitter as one because he not only doesn't have the talent, the smarts, the charisma, the career, the reputation nor the popularity that Stewart does, he's proven that he doesn't have the class, either.

Edited by DollEyes

Well, certainly with you, Don...Jon most certainly took things you said and did IN context. 

When you asked that "Black Hole" question, just what context would that be in, in order to make that an intelligent question?   Sigh.

Yes, that's how it looked. i was disappointed they didn't show suns at the end for what Jon should do next, as he suggested in the interview. They had to have received some since November.

• Love 2

I guess I'm just confused. I know that there was a fallout of sorts between Jon and Wyatt, but didn't he remain on the show for another year? Some articles make it seem like he left right after and that the finale was the first time he and Jon have "talked" since then. Also, I saw Wyatt getting in on the group hug.

After the argument he stopped being a writer and was merely a correspondent for the last year.

I was at that taping! It was really, really long. But so inspiring. The audience was a little exhausted for a while but you could feel everyone get re-energized.

Lucky!  Oh, I'm so jealous.  Jon was so nice to her and understood what she was going through in that first segment and helped her through.  I love how when Republicans said no, you can't head the CFPB, Warren said feh, I'll just run for Senate and beat pretty boy Scott Brown.  :evilgrin:  She's got hour-long talks on YT that I love watching, too.  

Sometimes I still want to hear Jon's exasperation and see him be stunned like all of us, like yesterday with the terrible murders of the news crew in Virginia.  The best antidote seems to watch his anguished introduction to the show after the Charleston church shooting, then him talking to Malala Yousafzai.  Luckily that was still OnDemand because it aired a day earlier, and I wish I did not think I should keep it close by for days like that. 

I gotta say, that story doesn't make Jon look very good at all. I've had mixed feelings about him for a few years now (I'm tuning back in to see the show end), but stories like this make me feel a little validated in tuning out and thinking that he has changed since around 2010 or so. I don't think there was a reason for him to be so defensive and angry just because Wyatt (the only black writer on the show) felt differently about something than he did.

Of course, this was all revealed on Marc Maron's podcast. He and Jon go back a long ways and Maron seems to have utter contempt for Jon and jealousy about his success. It wouldn't surprise me if that douche set up Wyatt in order to make Jon look bad.

I didn't read the original Vulture article but (finally) listened to the Maron episode yesterday. I don't think Maron was trying to make Jon look bad. In fact, his questions to Wyatt sounded like an attempt to try to get another perspective on the incident.

Wyatt specifically said that yes, Jon frequently disagreed with other writers, and there were often debates in the writers' room about whether Jon should do a particular story or joke. But Jon had never yelled at a writer the way he did to Wyatt, to the point where the entire floor could hear his yelling and cursing. And he'd never told a writer to "fuck off." Jon got very angry with Wyatt when Wyatt said that he was personally offended by Jon's impression of Herman Cain, and he got even angrier when Wyatt expressed his opinion that TDS shouldn't proceed with the story defending Jon's impression of Herman Cain. it sounds like Jon was saying, "How dare you call that impression racially offensive? I'm liberal. I'm Jewish. I defend the causes of black people and other people of color." Jon's reaction to Wyatt's opinion is what strained their relationship, and he stated that his last year at TDS was filled with tension, and he and Jon barely spoke to each other. 

I think the bigger issue is indeed the writer's room, as others have mentioned. That Wyatt, being the only black writer on TDS, had to be the voice for the black community, when he's only one person. And the black community itself (or any community of people) obviously has more than one voice and more than one opinion. 

TV shows often claim that they hire the best writers for the job. And so are they saying that 98% (approx) of good writers are white men? And how is it that shows like "Black-ish," "Being Mary Jane," "Grey's Anatomy (early seasons)" and "Scandal (early seasons)" have diverse writers' rooms and are still considered well-written shows?