Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles: Side Dishes

I've only seen him in Ella Enchanted and King Arthur, but I have this impression that he's Regency Era Love Interest . The first time I'd ever heard of him was that they cast "British heartthrob Hugh Dancy" as Will Graham. Totally did not raise my hopes. He's knocking it out of the friggin' park, though.

I think that's why Hannibal has been huge for Dancy. Apparently he was in Boardwalk Empire too? Don't know whom he played. Probably someone doomed.

I think Michael Pitt ( last season's Verger) was on Boardwalk Empire.

I also recommend Jane Austen Book Club, I think Dancy steals the movie. He's very good in Hysteria and I was glad to read that he's going to be in a film with Rupert Everett ( his co-star). They were my favorites in the movie. Also recommend Adam, he's really good in it and carries that movie very well.

Just for the eye candy: King Arthur and Blood and Chocolate

Edited by AstaCharles

Yeah, he's not in that photo. The names are on the bottom.

Here's my question: Star Wars never has nudity. How is Mads going to manage to be naked? Because I'm pretty sure he has that written into all his contracts.

Also: There needs to be some Star Wars/Hannibal crossover fan fiction.

Edited by Crossbow
  • Love 2

Crossbow, that would take some work!  The crossever fiction.  Because I can't see Hannibal in the Star Wars verse at all.  He's way too overtly violent.  I do love that Star Wars is getting more and more international.  Have they pulled in a big Chinese or Japanese actor yet?  Or a Bollywood actor?  Why not go for every continent?  The series is large enough and popular enough.  And give them real roles, not walk-ons.  Red II wasn't an especially good movie, but that had that dishy Korean action star in it.  Byun ...crap.  I'm horrible at Korean names.  

Lawrence I can see kicking ass in the Star Wars verse. 

I really want Hugh Dancy back on my screen soon however.  The Way doesn't look like my cup of tea, unfortunately.  I don't like shows about cults or religion.  Apparently Dancy's dad is a philosophy professor so maybe that's interesting to him. 

Have any of you seen Charlie Countryman?  I loath Shia LeBouf but if Mads gets to kick his ass, I might be able to enjoy it.  But I suspect Shia kicks Mads ass and that's all kinds of wrong.

It's hard to find Mads' Swedish films here.  I've seen the WWII assassin one (Mads rocked a seriously awesome had in that film).  And Danish films are equally hard to find.  He's actually Danish, right?  I seem to recall him saying he learned Swedish so well that people forget his real origin.  I think he might speak French too. 

Let's put him in a film with Viggo Mortenson & Christopher Walz and have them read the phone book and have the odd fight scene and call it a day.

I saw Charlie Countryman. Mads was scary as hell in that. Way scarier than he was in Hannibal. Plus, any movie about smaking the living daylights out of Shia LeBouf gets my vote.

Star Wars crossover: Nah, it would be easy. The whole covert Sith lord ostensibly assisting the Jedi is already rampant in Star Wars. Will is a Temple Jedi who goes to Hannibal for help tracking down a mysterious Sith lord, who is secretly Hannibal's apprentice... wait, that was actually one of the movies, wasn't it?

Yes, Mads is Danish. I think most of his films are Danish. He's completely fluent in Swedish. I think his French is about on par with his English, but I don't know French. He learned Russian for Coco & Igor. Not very well, apparently.

I started to watch Charlie Countryman and just couldn't get past Shia LaBoeuf but what I saw of Mads in it, he was a crazy mfer.

I've also seen bits of The Salvation, because I'd heard Eric Cantona was in it (Manchester United footballer), but I haven't seen the whole thing. Obviously, I'm offering a tonne to this conversation.

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 3

About Clash of the Titans:

AskMen.com felt actor Sam Worthington's heavy Australian drawl was so distracting it "manages not only to single-handedly unhinge any suspension of disbelief we might have had, but his fellow actors often seem to be visibly struggling as they impart fantastical ancient truths to a true-blue brickie in a studded leather dress."

I've seen The Salvation, because it had both Mads and Eva Green (the stars of both my favourite horror shows (Eva is in Penny Dreadful), so how could they not be great together?). They both gave spectacular performances, of course! Eva Green was especially well-cast, since her character is mute and a LOT depends upon the subtlety of her facial acting. The movie itself is a very rote Western. Stylish and well-acted, but there's not much to it.  Mads' character's wife/family is raped/murdered and he kills the culprits in revenge, and then the culprits' family of thugs comes after HIM for revenge, and there's some Wild West shootout action. The story doesn't ever really surprise you or do the unexpected. Also, it loses major points for doing that thing I hate where someone gets shot in the head, and all that happens is they get literally just a small red circle on their forehead, when in reality their brains would be scattered all over the sand. That said, pretty much everything I didn't enjoy about it is related to personal taste, rather than quality. Overall, it is very well done.

If you love a good Western, you'll love it. If you're watching mostly for Mads, you'll love it. If you like Eva Green, you'll love her performance. If you like Jeffery Dean Morgan, he plays the bad guy pretty well. If you prefer deep, twisty, psychologically and emotionally complex stories (and let's face it, we're in the Hannibal forum here), then you might find it a bit too straightforward to be really satisfying. I don't think I can sum it up any better than that!

• Love 1

So inspired by this topic I took it upon myself to have a Hugh Dancy movie marathon tonight. My picks were Ella Enchanted and The Jane Austen Book Club.

I had never seen Dancy in anything before Hannibal, so it was very weird to see him as a prince (!) and a pretty nice regular guy. Seeing him dancing at the end of Ella Enchanted especially made me giggle.

I will continue to follow his future work for sure.

Now for a Mads marathon. Maybe this weekend!

I just watched an episode of X Files (Humbug, the carnival one) for the first time since it went off the air. Gillian looks like a kid! I remember at the time thinking, she's my age, why does she look so much more grown-up than I do?

• Love 1

If folks aren't familiar with Eddie Izzard's other work -- he started as a standup comedian.  His funniest EVER is called Dressed to Kill on HBO.  It's available in almost any format.

It is priceless.  I quote it on a routine basis.

(He also had a really neat short-lived series called "The Riches" which I really enjoyed.  He used his American accent which, as we know, is pretty rough.  LOL  Bless 'im.)

ETA:  Btw, I'm still around the list.  I took it off my "follow" roster but I do come back for a drive by every now and then.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

After his standup I think of him as Tony P, leader of the Disco Boys in Mystery Men. But he was also memorable and surprisingly sinister as Grandpa Munster in Mockingbird Lane, which I'm sure is what prompted Fuller to cast him as a murderous Hannibal-esque doctor.

Anyone else going to see Dr. Strange just because of Mads?  I like Cumberbatch well enough, but I'll be rooting for Mads!  I must admit if the producers wanted to find someone someone stranger than Cumberbatch to be the bad guy, Mads was a great choice.  Cumberbatch is totally goofy and charming off screen, but in movies he always seems a bit odd and strange.  The entire cast of this movie is kind of odd and strange which is appealing.  

10 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Anyone else going to see Dr. Strange just because of Mads?  I like Cumberbatch well enough, but I'll be rooting for Mads!  I must admit if the producers wanted to find someone someone stranger than Cumberbatch to be the bad guy, Mads was a great choice.  Cumberbatch is totally goofy and charming off screen, but in movies he always seems a bit odd and strange.  The entire cast of this movie is kind of odd and strange which is appealing.  

I have my tickets for tomorrow already and I cannot WAIT. I will see anything and everything Mads Mikkelsen ever does.

I just wish I could get more of his early work!  I've seen Citron and  ...Orange?  Can't remember the name of that one.  He's a hero in that.  And the Wedding one where he's a sweet man who finds out he has a kid YEARS later.  So he can play nice.  And I saw the Royal Affair one which I didn't care for as much but not his fault.  Just didn't interest me.  Again, he can play the good guy.  

I wanted him to be Odin so badly in American Gods, but I guess his movie schedule is too full.  He would have been fantastic in it.

• Love 1

I've netflixed and Amazon'd and rented and purchased every single film of his that I can get my hands on. Obsessed. I do kind of hate that America only wants to cast him as a villain. He plays vulnerable and sweet and sexy so very well.

• Love 3

Okay, who saw Mads in Dr. Strange!  He was great and it looks like he'll have a good (if small) role in the new Star Wars movie.  

He even got to have a moment of humor in Dr. Strange.  And of course he managed to make Cumberbatch look normal.  In fact between Swinton and Mads, Cumberbatch was almost ordinary.  

• Love 1

America only wants to cast him as a villain.

I think he might be a good guy in the new Star Wars movie.  I'm avoiding all spoilers but I saw the trailer at Dr. Strange and he looks like he's playing someone decent.  Of course most of that cast is European and they are filming in England so perhaps that casting director realizes Mads can be more than just menacing.  

Things I want to see him in--Mortal Engines.  It's a teen fantasy series but I'm fairly sure I remember there being an older knight/warrior character.  

Game of Thrones as, well, anyone.  There's one potentially major character from the last book they they may not cast, but if they did, he would be great.  And it's a relatively "good" guy.  He at least has a code of honor and conducts himself honorably.  But they probably won't cast it alas.

Modern--If Westworld gets five seasons, they're gonna need more actors and he seems to love Westerns.  Plus he looks good as a cowboy.

I don't read a lot of Swedish noir, but there are so many potential mystery series.  

• Love 1