Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Quotes: What'd you say? Alex Eames: I pity the fool.

So many snarky one liners. So many great quotes from both Bobby and Alex.

Post your favorites here!

Watching "Badge", I love the scene where Viola Davis' character is telling Bobby, who's acting like a schlub, that he can't afford a nice house because he's not Frugal enough:

"You're not that Frugal.  You buy nice clothes...pay full price, nothing in your size is EVER on sale...you like Good Food...You have someone in to clean your apartment every week...I wonder how you make subway fare, the way you spend money."

Hah! Except, those of us that know Bobby, KNOW he don't have no one coming in to clean his place!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

And must have sold a lot of those nice suits around S7 - or at least put 'em in storage! (Glad they returned in S10.) Anyway, one I posted twice, but it fits here:

Alex: "Thanks. You can go do your little dance in hell now!"

Bobby's whole "size" schpiel to the lawyer who killed his petite girlfriends - and his gleeful laugh in belittling said suspect. And showing his Size 13 feet.

Bobby's simmering "OUCH!" when he got slapped in "Sound Bodies". That was awesome, as he grabbed the kid's arm. (Cool that said kid was brought back for "Wee Small Hours"...)

Speaking of "Wee Small Hours"... Alex: "There they go. Ocean's Two." Kathryn Erbe's delivery as she popped a Skittle was golden.

And Bobby's "Oh, STOP!" Forget what episode, but the way VDO delivered it was so out there.

• Love 3

Oh! And Alex to Bobby in "Dead" - the episode where Captain Hannah's twin was a serial killing hitman, as Bobby expressed stuff from a corpse's boils:

"You must have been so much fun in biology class."

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Rodgers: "Well, aren't you a font of maritime information."

Logan: "Yeah, well, there's nothing else to do in Staten Island except watch the barges go by."

Me: Hee, at the weary, sarcastic tone said in a most friendly way.

(edited)

Hee, sounds like Logan. (Although he did have SOME standards! The episode with David Keith (?) was just on, the dirty cop who tried to pimp out his daughter. I like that Logan was suitably disgusted by the pig.)

Edited by WendyR72
(edited)

Hee, sounds like Logan. (Although he did have SOME standards! The episode with David Keith (?) was just on, the dirty cop who tried to pimp out his daughter. I like that Logan was suitably disgusted by the pig.

The look on Logan's face when the dirty cop turned his back was priceless.

Edited by rujasu
(edited)

I mentioned it in Eames's thread, but I'll say it here, as well.  When, after being fawned over and hit on by the evil lawyer drowning his mistresses in "Jones," she stood up after Goren relieved her and said that she needed to "wash off the slime."  Not really the words themselves so much as Kathryn's clearly disgusted delivery is what I liked about that line.

Sometimes it's the lines that don't stand out as much that get to me. :)

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
I mentioned it in Eames's thread, but I'll say it here, as well.  When, after being fawned over and hit on by the evil lawyer drowning his mistresses in "Jones," she stood up after Goren relieved and said that she needed to "wash off the slime."  Not really the words themselves so much as Kathryn's clearly disgusted delivery is what I liked about that line.

That was great. Kathryn Erbe's delivery of the "slime" line was perfect.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

As I told @kacesq, I loved Bobby's cutting "Welcome to the human race!" line in "Art" when the art chick perp told Goren he didn't know what it was like to work so hard with Bobby supplying, "And still be a nobody?" and after she sniffles and says yes, comes out with that line. Great.

And I also agree hearing Bobby speak German was pretty cool, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
I know, but Germany fit.  It just seemed like he was pushing it, or the writers were.

Genuinely confused here, but pushing what? The perp was German, and an arrogant douche, at that. So Bobby snarked at the guy in his own tongue. Seemed natural enough to me.

• Like 1

Genuinely confused here, but pushing what? The perp was German, and an arrogant douche, at that. So Bobby snarked at the guy in his own tongue. Seemed natural enough to me.

I think Maherjunkie was saying the showrunners were pushing it by having Bobby know how to also speak Cantonese.

• Love 1
I think Maherjunkie was saying the showrunners were pushing it by having Bobby know how to also speak Cantonese.

Ah. Well, as I said, considering his voracious love of books (makes sense since his mom was a librarian), his intellect, and his past, as I said above, I could easily see Bobby as someone who knows many languages. Now whether that annoys the viewer depends on every individual. LOL! But it never bothered me because of what I listed.

• Love 1
Agree. I mean, Barek spoke Spanish, Greek, Polish, Italian, English, Cantonese and one more language, I think it was in "Diamond Dogs" I think is what she told Mike.

I guess Barek really was a "female Bobby" as you have told me, @GHScorpiosRule . I had forgotten about that.

"What do you really think?"

"I'll tell you what I think when I get pregnant."

"You're gonna have to do a lot better than that, Bobby."

"Okay. Life is full of uncertainty. People need to have options. Abortion has got to be one of those options.  That's what I think."

Awesome scene.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes, @GHScorpiosRule , it is. I think it is one of my favorite scenes from "The Third Horseman" altogether. We get a glimpse of Bobby and Alex as people instead of just detectives.

I also liked Carver/Alex on that same topic, while Carver was using the guise of the case. I did notice, unlike Bobby, Carver never told Alex what he thought. That could have made for some tension if he had as I have a feeling that the "inoculation" Carver referenced WAS based on his feelings.

I did like Alex telling Bobby to promise her a margarita when the case was done, and he gave her a little smile. He rarely did that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In the episode about the apartment building and the nanny being texted by God, Eames, watching a spycam with their suspect, says, "you can tell the neighborhood by the size of the vermin," as he sees himself crawling up a ladder by an interior chute.

@SFoster21 , I'd forgotten that one, but yes! That was awesome. Alex was often Queen of the Quip. (And what's up with Adam Goldberg often playing freaky creeps, even in sitcoms (remember Eddie from Friends?).)

The only - and I mean only! - time I don't recall him playing a true creep was in the VERY short-lived Relativity in the mid-'90s with David Conrad and Kimberly Williams. (Remember that one?)

Just saying. But I guess if AG is typecast, at least he makes it work and ekes out a living with it!

From "Suite Sorrow":

Bobby: "Botox works by paralyzing the nerves around the facial muscles, doesn't it?"

Alex: "Does it look like I'd know?"

Same episode:

Botox patient in the waiting room <to Alex>: "My dear, I would kill to have your skin! Laser abrasion, am I right?"

Alex: "No..." <Crime talk follows>

Patient: "Oxygen facial?"

Alex: "No..." <More crime questions to the patient>

Patient: "I know! You had a lymphatic drain facial!"

Alex: "Sorry. Just soap and water."

Love Kathryn Erbe's delivery in that scene.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Part of a post I put in the S6 thread, re-copied here:

I always thought S6 is when total misery set in. But I had forgotten there were a handful of nice and/or funny scenes. In "Blind Spot", Ross and Eames were observing Goren in an interrogation. After it was done and Goren joined them, Ross left, but not before saying to Eames, "What I said." After he goes, Goren looks at Eames who conspiratorially tells Bobby, "I'm supposed to keep an eye on you." And instead of getting mad or huffy, Bobby sort of shrugs and says, "Oh. Well, let me know if I can help you." Then Eames just smiles.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was never a big Mike Logan fan, but just caught this gem during "Stress Position:"

"The Patriot Act. I read it under its original title: 1984."

Wry bit of social commentary there.

Whassamattu that you dinna like Logan?

But I willna hold it against ye...just more Mike for moi!

Mike did a whole lotta social commentary without being preachy and it's one of the few things I'm grateful to Dickless Wolf fer. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not grammatically correct, ending a sentence with a  prepositional phrase, but I'm sick and still recovering from surgery.

He has a lotta good quotes during his years on the mothership. "Indifference, God Bless the Child, LIfe Choice, Bad Faith" to name but a few.

Biased? Who, ME????!!!!

Hee, I'm sorry -- I suppose I got into Law & Order: CI because of the Goren/Eames Sherlock/Watson dynamic. I liked the "solving a murder based on how these little pieces of paper are lying differently from those little pieces of paper." It made it different from the Mothership in that sense (you'd never see Lennie Briscoe examining little pieces of paper!). I actually really liked Mike Logan on the Mothership, but I thought CI as a show became more ordinary without Goren's "I can tell you were in a Thai prison because you speak Chinese with a French accent" kind of crime-solving eccentricity.

I didn't like Jeff Goldblum either -- Goren was CI to me, and I thought it lost the thing that made it unique from other Law & Orders when he wasn't there.

So, enjoy Mike Logan -- I enjoyed him on the Mothership, but he just never clicked for me on this particular show.

• Love 2

Ahhhh, got it.

Well, I was just so deliriously happy to see him back in the universe, I didn't care!  And my inner teen squeed when he met with Liz Olivet after that shooting in his first year back, and made me sigh...because we ALL KNOW that he and Liz TOTALLY had a fling AFTER she treated him for grief after Max's murder!

• Love 1
I didn't like Jeff Goldblum either -- Goren was CI to me, and I thought it lost the thing that made it unique from other Law & Orders when he wasn't there.

Exactly, Eolivet! I loved Mike Logan on the Mothership. But he seemed more rough and tumble and like a cop who belonged downtown fighting the usual criminals, whereas 1PP seemed more...I don't know how to put it, refined, maybe? (Considering their perps were more VIP in tone, usually.) Goren (and Eames) made CI for me, too.

But, that said? If I couldn't watch a G/E episode, give me Logan - who still has history and whom I have fondness for! - and his partners du jour over Nichols any day. It's odd, to me: Both Nichols and Goren were odd, but I got a subtle cop vibe from Goren I never got from Nichols. But I admit to obvious bias there, naturally.

But in terms of Mike, it does kind of suck that he left under a cloud of anger and/or sadness both times. Why couldn't CI just let the man retire?

If you k now of fanfic in that direction, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

About 90% of the fanfic I've seen is G/E oriented, BUT there are some Logan stories - usually with Wheeler or Barek, though.

• Love 1

Oh I write it, I wonder if there was any specific to Olivet.

Not in the L&O: CI forum at FF.net, but I'd bet there would be in the thread for the Mothership!

To bring this back to the topic at hand - quotes - here's a cute exchange I liked from an otherwise creepy episode, "Lady's Man". From memory, so it may not be exact...

Bobby and Alex are questioning Boz Burnham's wife and a friend of his, who recalls Alex from Burnham's first wife's murder and is ragging on her.

Alex: "Does he have to be here?"

Bobby: <Parroting> "Does he have to be here?" <Looks at the guy> "Do you have to be here?"

Another exchange, same episode, after Faith Yancy tells Bobby and Alex that Boz told her how life had given him a second chance and how he wouldn't blow it. Faith tells G/E she believed him.

Goren, sitting in her chair, making a face towards the camera: "Were you...alone...when he told you that?"

Faith <angry>: "I won't even dignify that with a response!"

Bobby <with a bit of a grin>: "You just did."

G/E leave as the show starts.

Alex: "At least we know how he got the job!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Poison" was on USA yesterday early morning, and I always loved Alex snarling, "Freeze, garbage boy!" to the guy who drove the getaway car after that reporter and his fiancé were murdered. Don't know why.

And we meet Lewis with his "I think I'm in love!" after Alex turns him on with some car talk.  :-P

He was too good for her.

Lewis was too good for Alex? No way! Alex was cool. Lewis had good taste! (But how odd CI had goofy Lewis while SVU had a very creepy Lewis!)

Not a clever quote or anything, but I love in "The Third Horseman", Alex saying, "Promise me a margarita when this is over!" Bobby even smirked/smiled there. (It was a draining case.)

Also loved the whole abortion/pregnancy POV talk with them as I'm sure I mentioned here, too.

• Love 1