Type keyword(s) to search

The Soup - General Discussion

Chip
  • Start Topic

Wow, Lea DeLaria is SHORT. She looked like she came up to Joel's waist.

At the end of the show Joel announced that they were taking 2 weeks off. I think this is the first time in the decade or so I've been watching "The Soup" that there's been a break. Usually they'll air a clip show or something. But no, a reality show called "New Money" will be airing in the "Soup" time slot next Friday. I guess "The Soup" will be back on July 10.

Hour-long episode coming up:

E!’s “The Soup” will be LIVE from the infamous infield at Talladega Superspeedway on Friday, October 23 at 10:00 PM ET/PT in advance of the CampingWorld.com 500 race (October 25 at 2:30 PM ET on NBCSN). “The Soup” host Joel McHale will be delivering the latest and greatest pop culture clips from one of the most storied arenas in the sports world. He will be accompanied by some of the most celebrated drivers on the NASCAR circuit and will be crashing the many events around the speedway that make this racing weekend one of the greatest parties in the world!

“When I think of NASCAR, I think of an incredibly popular sport that millions of people love and watch every week,” said Joel McHale. “And when I think of “The Soup.” I think 'We should do something with NASCAR.’ Also, I’m looking very forward to bringing clips from ‘Party Down South’ back home so they can be at peace.”

• Love 1

Well, that live show was terrible.  NASCAR was a poor choice.  Having the drivers as guests was a poor choice.  Being live was a poor choice.  Being an hour long was a poor choice.  And weirdly, I don't know if every single joke was really as bad as it seemed, or if this is the one show in the world that is actually better with a laugh track.  Painful.  Never do it again!

• Love 1

On my cable (Time Warner) only the Joel/live audience and the music could even be heard. All of the actual clips came through at about 5% volume. Perhaps some of the clips were funny, but if the funny bit was what they were saying, it was lost on me. It was dreadful.

• Love 1

There was a problem with the volume of the clips here, too.  I have Charter cable.  Kept waiting for it to be fixed.  Watched again this morning, and same problem.  Annoying.

At the risk of humble bragging, I've got surround sound and it seemed like the live stuff was coming out of the center speaker and the clips were coming out of the left rear speaker. Annywaay (as Joel says)...that was possibly the overall least funny episode I've seen since Joel took over.  It almost seemed like there was a different group of writers this time - every joke was a clunker.  And there's a reason that Danica, Jeff, Dale Jr., et. al. aren't basic cable clip show hosts. Too bad we had to discover it.

Now, let's all just shower this one off... 

Yeah...I really wanna act like that particular episode never actually happened.

I had to shut it off after about 15 minutes due to the crazy volume control issue...the fact that the stilted excuses of guest funny bits/jokes weren't remotely funny didn't help the situation.

Whew, whoever greenlit/directed this stinker of an episode really dropped the ball and ruined a good thing!

He did look familiar, but I couldn't place him. He was saying what I was thnking some of the time, so he can come back. Not every show, mind, but occasionally.

Looks like the sound issues were widespread - enough to get "Welcome to The Soup, Live. Now with sound!"

I figured the heckler was just one of the guys who occasionally pops up there to do skits, like Mankini, only less often. I got bored with his shtick and thought it went on way too long. 

• Love 1

This was at least a unique format for a theme show, and I liked most of the participants, so I was good. I won't lie, I did a total happy dance when the Daisy of Love/I Love New York clips came on. I loved all of the Flavoverse shows so very much, and I haven't even glanced at VH1 since they burnt off the last of the I Love Money episodes in the middle of the night. If there was a channel just for those shows, I would watch it nearly nonstop.

• Love 3

Last night's show was supposed to be new, according to my DVR, but instead they showed a rerun from October. Wonder why? (My husband speculated it might have something to do with the attacks in Paris, but it's not like E! broadcasts actual news, and would showing a repeat really be considered less disrespectful?)

It just occurred to me to check Twitter and it was scheduled to be a live episode. This is from @joelmchale:

.@TheSoup will not b live 2nite b/c of the horrible attacks in Paris. Our prayers go out 2those who were killed, wounded, & their families

I didn't even realize I missed watching it on Friday until sometime late on Monday.  The overall quality has been on a bad slide for me, some of which i chalked up to the choice to go live every Friday night.  However, that "reality reunion" style show a couple of weeks ago was taped ans felt even clunkier to me than the horrible NASCAR episode.  So it's with a kind of resigned ,"guess it had to happen," reaction that I read the news that E!'s finally cancelled the show.  

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/18/media/the-soup-e-entertainment-ending/index.html

But it was a good run. 

I'm not really surprised it got cancelled. The show has been lacking the major funny for a few years now.  Joel has a successful career outside of E! and his stand-up now, and it seemed like he was just doing The Soup because he had to, not because he actually enjoyed it. 

• Love 1

They had renewed it through 2016 as well. Just let it play out. It has to cost virtually nothing to put together, so just stop going live, get some guest hosts if you have to, with an eye toward finding someone else. It's not like it hasn't happened before in the show's history.

Maybe it will find a home on Comedy Central or something, even with a new host. It always did seem like a weird fit for E! I always got the impression Joel enjoyed it, otherwise he wouldn't have signed a new contract last year. He seems like a pretty responsible guy, and he has a young family. It was steady employment in a notoriously uncertain industry, didn't take much of his time, and kept his name out there. Since Tv By the Numbers saw fit to stop sending me their newsletter last week, I had no idea, and last night was the first I'd heard of it. Oh well.

• Love 1

I'm glad they're getting a one hour finale, and I wouldn't rule out a return in a year or two. After all, wasn't Talk Soup cancelled, and then brought back in a slightly retooled form as The Soup a couple of years later? There's only so much Kartrashian programming one can do, after all, and that gang has got to be pretty expensive at this point. If they get another relative unknown, they could crank it out on the serious cheap.

The "Inside Edition" montage was so funny I watched it twice and decided to keep the episode on my DVR.

A few years ago, there were several "basic cable clip shows," including "The Dish" (Style's Soup spin-off featuring Danielle Fishel) and Current TV's "Infomania." I fear the clip-show genre has finally come to an end. I love seeing the clips, so I'm sad to see them all gone now (or all gone after Dec. 18).

• Love 1

I'm genuinely bummed out that The Soup is ending. I've been watching since it was Talk Soup in those heady early days of E! and it sucks that the Kardashians and The Royals still get to go on while The Soup is over. I guess in the age of Vine and YouTube, weekly clip shows were bound to die out. Le sigh.

I'm sad. I've loved this show for almost forever it seems like. (I also loved it's female counterpart The Dish). I'm sad. It always made me laugh, every Friday. I have like four favorite clips from this show that they didn't show,

1- the one with Brett Michaels and his daughters and he took them to a graveyard to talk about death or something and his young daughter freaked out and he tried to explain she wouldn't die and if she did, they would send another her back or something and she said, "I don't want them to send some LOSER back!" 

2-Taniasha from the bad girls club and her screaming and banging pots and pans around the house.

3. ANTM when they made a girl who didn't know how to rollerskate for a picture and they complained that she looked scared and Joel's reaction to the clip: "She looks scared because you're making her rollerskate and she doesn't know how" 

4. The clip from the principals office where the two high-schoolers showed the principal what dirty dancing is.

I think I will miss this show a lot.

• Love 2

I wish we didn't get to see that clip of Honey Boo Boo sneezing.  Between that and the commercial for that Leonardo DiCaprio movie where he's in the frozen north and he has that big frozen booger hanging out of his nose, it's put me off certain foods (like milk) for a bit.

But we got to see the "Chicken Tetrazzini" clip again, which was awesome because that woman was hilarious.

• Love 1

I'm glad the Whitney clip was number one, only because, quite honestly, I do think that's what put this show on the map. It's one of the first things I remember from this show and to be fair, I think Joel's variation is the one I remember most of all. I remember briefly seeing the others, but I didn't have to watch every week. Joel just had really good comedic timing on all the clips. 

But I'm sad Tanshia from bad girls wasn't on, except for the montage. Also, Real World Denver Brooke! And favorite cast member ever, Issac! Seriously, I just keep thinking of all the awesome clips from this show that made me laugh for days even after I watched them. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

I was so afraid we were going to get to the end and not get "Dunkadooballs." I thought she'd show up in the montage, but we got everything else - vajayjay is painin', chicken tetrazzini, everything. But then, we got the full dunkadooballs treatment. I loved that all those random celebs showed up, I loved seeing Mankini through the years, and all the things I had nearly forgotten about, like Danzitions, and Spaghetti Cat. If only they could have gotten Tyra Banks to wander onto the set and gloat, that would have been perfect. I really did enjoy this show, and I'm sorry to see it go.

• Love 2

I too am going to miss this show.  I get the feeling that the show had been falling off a bit the last few months because they were in discussions about cancelling it.  This was a great send off with the phone bank of random celebrities, mankini through the years, and the top ten clips with all of the other things thrown in.  Joel really does have excellent comedic timing and a real ability to laugh at himself.  So many TV hosts take themselves too seriously.  He knows his role is to bring the funny.   Thanks to Joel whenever I see Kim Kardashian I think she’s famous for “having  a big ass and a sex tape”.

I need to go feed my cats some spaghetti and make some chicken tetrazzini for the guy I’m cheating with, so it’s time to sign off with a heartfelt gungadooballs and kiss my ass!

• Love 5