Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: The Best Damn News Team

What is a contributor on TDS?

A contributor probably gets paid per appearance, whereas a correspondent is on salary and might be guaranteed/required to produce a certain number of pieces.

Edited by dubbel zout

Trevor's great. I saw him do the Hitler routine at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and the entire audience was DYING. It was amazing. The way he can tackle topics like race and be hilarious means he should be a good fit for TDS. I hope they give him time to settle in if he's only a contributor, I wish he were a correspondent.

• Love 3

Trevor's great. I saw him do the Hitler routine at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and the entire audience was DYING. It was amazing. The way he can tackle topics like race and be hilarious means he should be a good fit for TDS. I hope they give him time to settle in if he's only a contributor, I wish he were a correspondent.

It can be possible. Aasif originally started out as a contributor before becoming a full-time correspondent. It took him probably a few months before he got the title so Trevor has a good shot ending the same way the more his appearances are well-received. Unless this guy is really on demand in the Entertainment spectrum (let's face it, EVERYONE wants a piece of this rising comic cuz he's GOOD), it would be amazing to see him as a correspondent. 

• Love 1

This will be coming up at some point, courtesy of Jason.

Open Carry Texas Leader Does ‘Daily Show’, Assures Members He Didn’t Say Anything Too ‘Extremist’

He was also supremely confident that his group would come across as reasonable and intelligent, because Grisham had the good sense to stay away from saying the craziest stuff he believes:

It was a good interview. It will show we are human and can have a sense of humor. I stayed away from extremist comments. My winning line was, “being armed while eating a piece of pizza gives me a peace of mind I won’t be a victim.”

(I belatedly remembered the spoiler tag. I hope it's working.)

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

I'm kinda sad that TDS had to take the week off to prepare for their Midterm shows in Texas, but I'm kinda happy they released "special" web content that spews all things Improv. But as a Whose Line fan (and fellow observer of the shows preceding it), I'm not sure if their is parodying or mocking the show that cemented the respect of Improv; also, knowing Jordan "Sparks" Klepper and Ms. JWilly come from Improv/sketch backgrounds, I was expecting the two would show more their chops in the art that probably help build their current career in comedy. And is it just me, or does Jason Jones desperately want to host every Correspondent Central show since his nine-year stint (plus guest-hosting a few weeks back) has led him to this? I really can't take him seriously if he's just gonna host web shows that barely fill the misery of not watching TDS. Seriously, I kinda wish TDS would take him a bit more seriously, cuz after his performance as a host, I really want him to have a show of his own, instead of THIS, FILLER!?!:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/1kwj8k/correspondent-central---the-best-f--king-improv-show-ever---helping-hands

And if Comedy Central isn't gonna take a chance on him, I'll be more determined than ever to finish the first two books of my story so I can give him a role that will earn him the respect he needs.

P.S.: Forgive me if I raged a bit. I just can't help myself feeling sorry watching Jason being forced to be the self-controlling goofball/host in every web exclusive. The desperation of moving on feels more present and cringing to the point the people doing these videos aren't trying anymore. My point is that it would be more refreshing to see Jason outside that childish, filler, junk-showing frat-frollicking humor to see him take on bigger, if not serious roles. His hosting stint was more effective than this, so I hope someone other than myself will give him a better opportunity.

PPS: I see you Klepper, nodding at Colin Mochrie's printed shirt gag, although I raise that speculation and see you more as Ryan Stiles if it weren't for his and your height.   

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

TBS orders comedy pilot from 'Daily Show' correspondents Jason Jones and Samantha Bee

I don't know how to feel about this. They're not my favorites, but they're such veterans of the show, their presence would definitely be missed. It seems like Jason has filmed other pilots before that weren't picked up, but maybe this will finally be his and Sam's big break. I wish them well, but, damn, all of the talent is flying out of that nest. Something is surely in the works for Jessica, too.

• Love 1

TBS orders comedy pilot from 'Daily Show' correspondents Jason Jones and Samantha Bee

I don't know how to feel about this. They're not my favorites, but they're such veterans of the show, their presence would definitely be missed. It seems like Jason has filmed other pilots before that weren't picked up, but maybe this will finally be his and Sam's big break. I wish them well, but, damn, all of the talent is flying out of that nest. Something is surely in the works for Jessica, too.

I'm guessing TBS took a chance on Sam and Jason after watching them guest-host while Jonny-bun was sick. I feel like anyone who sits in the Boss' ass-groove chair will grant them a TV show, like it has mystical showbiz powers. 

As for them leaving, I'm really gonna miss them if TBS green lights the show. It feels like a rush after spending three years committing to watching the show how much talent from the Best F@&Kn News Team have come and moved on. Now I can only wonder who will follow the footsteps of Jason's intrepid reports from exotic countries or Sam Bee's girl power, old-school cringe humor? Either way, the two have cemented their place at TDS and I will cry if Jonny-bun doesn't give them a proper goodbye retrospective of the two who have contributed for so long. I think they deserve it.

As I reflect on TDS this year, the show has been occupied with not just the miserable events that have occurred this year, but also with changes within their staff. Recruiting 4 correspondents/contributors, then losing both Michael Che and Larry Wilmore (good luck on the Nightly Show) must be grating for Jonny-bun. I guess if they want to make up for the loss of Ollie-Scone, TDS goes big, though I don't think I've ever seen the lineup of correspondents change drastically in just a year.

Speaking of Jonny-bun, I still have the jitters if he's planning to retire next year. If I may have expectations next year, I'm hoping if the former is true (which everyone really doesn't want to happen), Jonny-bun (and maybe the TDS production staff altogether) should test their correspondents to see who's the jack-of-all-trades: collaborate more on field pieces and studio bits, contribute more with their own or Jonny-bun's monologues, etc. Aside from the Live Election Specials, how many times have more than two correspondents been altogether on screen at the same time? Maybe that Michael Che sendoff, but that was brief.

Anyway, I feel like I needed to vent this out since I'm worried that Jonny-bun is losing that "spark" of humor, and looking back at the last 15 years, it seems like he can only muster a few genuine laughs (NO, cheering and applause partially counts). Call me out on my part, but I only discovered this factor after Lewis Black's appearance on Meet the Press.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-todd-asks-lewis-black-if-the-daily-show-is-making-us-cynical/

If I may quote Lewis:

“We’ve moved closer to living at the corner where satire and reality intersect.”

While I understand that comedy is the catharsis for enduring everyday hardships, it feels like I (and probably others) have been relying too much on Jonny-bun for the news, which is why I'm getting that sense of muted laughter from the audience. I'm very worried that if next year is Jonny-bun's last, he will never find his 'heir apparent', and I don't want the network to be salvaging on some random comedian who wasn't raised at TDS.

Recruiting 4 correspondents/contributors, then losing both Michael Che and Larry Wilmore (good luck on the Nightly Show) must be grating for Jonny-bun.

I disagree. I think Jon is always pleased when his correspondents go on to bigger and better things. It reflects well on everyone when that happens.

• Love 3

I've said all along that there is no way Jon will leave TDS until he's sure that "The Nightly Show" is established, which could take at least a year. I think it's very, very likely that he'll hang on through the 2016 elections. The time to worry will be 2016; if he's going to quit, mark my words, it'll be a December 2016 send-off.

I also love, love, love Jessica and think it would be wonderful to see her host her own show someday. She's still very young, though (25!!!!) so my guess is that she's smart enough to stick around TDS to gain more experience and continue to learn from some of the more seasoned writers/performers.

• Love 4

I'm in agreement with trow125 about Jon being around until, at least, two years from now, just after a new president is elected. And with Stephen leaving TCR, that might just free up a little extra cash to throw Jon's way. Besides, once Letterman leaves The Late Show this spring, Jon will be the longest serving host on late night television. And I'm not sure that's a title Jon would be comfortable with. And, given the year it's been, I wouldn't blame Jon if he was genuinely thinking about leaving.

As for who would replace Jon, who knows? Jessica may be a popular choice, but does anyone know for sure if she would want the job? She might have long term plans of her own that would involve acting in movies, like Steve Carell did. I think if she is interested in the job, it would do her well to join the TDS writing staff, like Stephen and Ollie both did.

Of course, here's a wild card to throw out there: The Daily Show with Andy Zaltzman!

• Love 3

Looks like Colbert's Late Show will be solely owned by CBS.

Not only is Colbert moving to CBS to take over David Letterman's seat, but the network will also own "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert." That means CBS will own distributing rights to the telecasts, a huge leg up in a world where watching TV via online streaming is gaining popularity.
The current "Late Show" is owned by Letterman's production company: Worldwide Pants.
CBS (CBS) CEO Leslie Moonves bragged last month in a call with investors that CBS Studios will soon produce and own the late night shows with Colbert and James Corden.

Of course, Jon (and Busboy) still holds onto the 11:30 slot on Comedy Central...

Huffington Post interviewed Al Madrigal, who finally explains about working part-time at TDS, the possibility of correspondents doing crossovers at The Nightly Show, and his excitement about Stephen's new gig. So I guess he's more of a contributor than correspondent now? Also, I support the correspondent crossover idea. If TDS' crew can move on to construct the Nightly Show, it would be awesome to see the correspondents get some extra exposure for another half-hour!! 

Maybe I'm biased because I own the "Indecision 2004" DVD and America: The Book, but I feel that the group of that era was the best team of correspondents the show ever had. And now the last of them -- Samantha Bee -- is going to do her own project. Helms, Colbert, Corrdry, Bee . . . a virtual Murderer's Row of comedy, and the guys went off to have success in their endeavors. I'll be looking forward to what Sam has in store for us.

Well good luck to Samantha but... how many satirical news shows do we need?  I know people said that when Olly left and he's done just fine but the market is getting a little crowded, no?

Good for Samantha to get her own show. I always felt her and Jason were at TDS far too long. Best of luck to her at TBS.

I always figured they stayed around because it was a stable job and they have a ton of kids to support. They just need a push to leave. If I could tell from interviews during the Rosewater period that Jon was gone, I'm sure everyone there knew the writing was on the wall.

Alright, I've formulated my feelings, and I know I'm in the minority, but I do agree that even with her popularity, Jessica Williams wouldn't be qualified as the host. Not because she's an amazing correspondent, but I do get that tilting feeling about the style of commentary she's delivered in the last 3 years. Sure, she touched on long overdue subjects like cat-calling, and I still crack up when she was talking with the street preachers opposing gay marriage. I just don't think she's "funny" material, and the reaction of the viewers is evidence.

Don't get me wrong, it's understandable that she is finally giving more of her voice into the subject at hand, and for the most part her commentary should garner a punchline "laugh track". But after watching many of her clips, ESPECIALLY THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF TRUMP'S CANDIDACY, I think she's less of a goofball correspondent like her predecessors, but more of the straight man could make her relatable to anyone's reaction. I do like that approach, but for some reason, her "straight man" style just feels off. She's more preachy and cathartic than being preachy and cathartic with effective jokes to back it up. Maybe it's just the audience's reaction, or the fact that women's issues is still part of the conversation, but I think she channels an "Oprah Winfrey" vibe than a "Fake News Show"vibe. That doesn't mean I don't like her, she actually outmatches the other boys in the segments, it's just her style is different and not my cup of tea but I can acknowledge that a correspondent has the privilege of putting their own voice in their humor. I'm just hoping in the future she can step up the goofiness and deliver a segment with plaudits AND laughter. 

And once again, any commenters who find this post: I understand that she projects your feelings and opinions in the situation, I just wish she could show more of that youthful, light-heartedness for her younger audiences, not like fake-reality TV style but yeah.

• Love 1

Ever wonder what the Q&A before the show is like? Here is an example.

What cracked me up about that was Jon telling everyone that he isn't "dead." or that he didn't "die." Just the delivery of it had me snerking. But in a way, it is a death for me, because I will no longer see him on my screen at that desk, and his Daily Show will no longer air. Does that make sense?

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh God, for some reason the question where someone asked if there as ever a joke, or a skit he regretted and Jon was talking about his other talk show and  saying "So the audience is like....Boooooo, Hitler!"  and I was started laughing so hard I ended up crying.  I feel like there has to be a tie between that story and the "Don't buy pot from that guy" story.  

Hee.  Still giggling.    

Edited by stillshimpy

For anybody interested, here are the episodes Comedy Central will be airing tomorrow, as per Time Warner . .  .

9:20 a.m.: "News Your Own Adventure"

10:28: Amy Schumer

11:01: Denis Leary

11:35: Louis CK

12:09 p.m.: Michael  J. Fox (1/11/99)

12:43: Jonah Hill (12/6/11)

1:17: Steve Carell (4/7/10)

1:51: Malala Yousafzai (10/8/13)

2:25: Liam Neeson (1/1712)

2:58: Post-9/11 episode (9/20/01)

3:31: Dr. Sanjay Gupta (4/28/3)

4:05: Philip K. Howard (5/2/11)

4:38: Newt Gingrich (9/3/08)

5:08: Bill Moyers (6/1/11)

5:38: Bill O'Reilly (10/5/14)

6:12: Mick Huckabee (12/16/10)

6:46: Martin Gilens and Benjamin Page (4/30/14)

7:20: President Barack Obama (7/21/15)

7:52: Jim Cramer (3/12/09)

8:24: Gary Locke (3/18/10)

8:56: "News Your Own Adventure"

10:00: Review

10:30: Louis CK

11:00: Finale

• Love 2

Damn. Have the commercials during the show always been this bad and I never knew because I never watched in real time? If they're going to show the Meryl Streep movie ad the Axe spray ad every break, I'm going to have to turn it off for 45 minutes and then rewind so I can ff through them.

Also, be advised that air times listed in the on-screen guide and above are a few minutes off, thanks to Comedy Central's always reliably unreliable clock. Season 1 episode 1 actually started at about 12:05.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

I was flipping around when I saw the episode with Bill Moyers. Actually, it's the episode where Jon blasts Trump for stacking pizza slices and eating them with a fork. Few things can match an indignant Jon screaming bloody murder. Good times.

ETA: I saw the post-9/11 episode. One thing that sticks out: how weird/funny was it to see Steve Carell comment on Nad's hair remover years before The 40-Year-Old Virgin came out? And yeah . . . Moment Of Zen Puppy for the win.