Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

CHOREOGRAPHER interviews by DancePlug, Top 14 Perform, 4 Eliminated:

Stacey Tookey

(Neptune didn't want to have Stacey make the choreography easier - which she loved about him)

Sonya Tayeh

(she says this was a really tough show for all the dancers, but they worked hard and should feel good about themselves)

Misha Gabriel

(felt the dancers did their best effort yet and hopes Jason and Nigel will understand & appreciate the style more next time)

• Love 1

Some random DancePlug interviews after Top 14 Perform, 4 Eliminated:

Rudy Abreu (Season 11)

(just off of Julienne & Derek's tour)

Allison Holker

(here to support tWitch)

Nigel Lithgoe

(re: duets, although good to change it up, it's easier for America to judge two at a time. He also said Virgil when was talking about Neptune)

Another random tidbit from Afterbuzz : Jessica Richens will be an All Star next week. Those of you who wanted new All Star blood? This is not what I thought you meant.

Edited to add:

PacificRimVideoPress interviews Travis on the eliminations

Edited by Anothermi

Top 14 Perform, 4 Eliminated

Après show interviews with your Top 10!

Hollywood Junket:

Neptune and Gaby

These two really describe the kind of work a good pairing should always do. The interviewer reminded me that Gaby didn't get a ticket to Vegas her 1st audition but came back to a different city and showed she could take notes and bring it!

Hailee and Virgil

As expected - great fun. Hailee would love to be paired with All Star Allison.

Edson and Jaja

Jaja challenges Jason and Nigel to learn Misha's routine and perform it on the Final (because she's fair and the choreography is NOT basic).

Megz and Derek

Megz second time with Dave Scott as choreographer.

Jim and JJ

Jim reveals that Yorelis was practicing their routine with a different partner (but didn't say who) because he didn't know until the last day if he would be cleared to dance. Then they veered into stupid 20 second questions.

Top 14 Perform, 4 Eliminated

Après show interviews with your Top 10!

DancePlug

Jim and JJ

JJ says she had both a mental and a physical breakdown this week. They say they don't hear much of what is happening (booing but not what led up to it) because they are in the holding room when not on stage.

Jaja and Edson

Edson says Jaja was the most helpful person he's danced with so far (and he's danced with 8 other contestants!)

Megz and Derek

Derek pointed out that because he knew he would be in the bottom the whole week, he had the time to get his supporters ready to save him. (i hadn't thought of that angle).

Virgil and Hailee

Their usual fun selves.

Gaby and Neptune

Neptune thanks Gaby and Stacey for helping him with the movement how to get the most out of the piece and Gaby feels Neptune helped her bring out raw emotion.

Edited by Anothermi

It's really nice to have the one sentence summaries, Anothermi.  I almost never click through to the interviews, (I'm a reader), so it's really nice to know the gist of what was said.  Thank you!

Jim reveals that Yorelis was practicing their routine with a different partner (but didn't say who) because he didn't know until the last day if he would be cleared to dance.

I'm very impressed by them.  I would never have known.

• Love 4

It's really nice to have the one sentence summaries, Anothermi.  I almost never click through to the interviews, (I'm a reader), so it's really nice to know the gist of what was said.  Thank you!

They're not a summary of all that was said. Just what was interesting to me. But I'm guessing you probably know that already.

• Love 1

A few more post-Top 14 show interviews from Hollywood Junket:

Nigel Lithgoe

He tells us who the Judges tweeted for, and tried to explain why it was OK for Neptune to not have "technique" but not OK for Virgil to lack technique.

Pharside and Pheonix

Talk about their Team Street group dance. Asked everyone to do the dance AS their character. Megz was given the hunch from the beginning. Pheonix, in particular, loves the term "Beardo". I expect she will use it a lot from now on.

Paula Abdul

Says she thinks she has more experience than her "brothers" to give feedback about how women dancers convey sexy. But they think differently.

Stacey Tookey

Talks about her piece - telling meaningful stories is what she loves to do - and describes briefly working with Gaby and Neptune. Says the dancers had a natural connection but told them to research her issue (which was inspired by part of Selma). Kathryn McCormick was her assistant. She also says there is a lot of randomness about the show, so she may have dancers in mind when she prepares but she doesn't always end up with those people.

Travis Wall

He tweeted for Alexia but was OK with Derek. Doesn't have any hopes that Derek will get swag by the end of the show.  There will be NO Team Stage/Street Group numbers next week because of so many All Star numbers. Only this coming week though.

Thanks Anothermi for the summaries.  I accept that you're just telling us what you find interesting.  I'm willing to go with that, rather than watch the damn things myself.

Very interesting about the Allstars.  Has anywhere produced a list of said Allstars?  I've heard a couple of names, but not 10 (or 20... I'd be happy with twenty) -- I guess they'll do contestant pairs and Allstar pairs to produce 15 numbers?

• Love 1

Another mystery solved (at least for me): choreographers can request to work with particular dancers.

(This quote was related to this week's Afterbuzz)

Maybe because this has come up before in other Afterbuzz eps I've watched, but I interpreted the comment in this ep as choreographers can request certain (previous season) dancers as their assistants, not request current competing dancers to work with for that week. Spencer mentioned in other eps that he frequently requests (and gets) Makenzie, for example.

• Love 2

The Fox site has social-media'd that there will be a music "theme" for the Top 10 Performances this Monday. The songs will all be from what I presume is a FOX show - Empire. I haven't seen it, but Timbaland is the executive music producer for that show so I expect a lot of hip hop influence. 

Empire is my guilty pleasure.  The music is great, but the best thing about it is Taraji P. Henson whom I also loved in Person of Interest (which I stopped watching when she left).  There is defo music in there which could be used for contemporary styles.

• Love 2

I'm presuming that things from Social Media belong here. Here's a couple of things that gave me a laugh:

Derek happy dance.

tumblr_nswwqv7HkI1tihpgxo1_500.gif

This gif courtesy of So - SYTYCD  tumblr

And Nigel tweeted a funny:

Nigel Lythgoe OBE ‏@dizzyfeet 7h7 hours ago

All tonight's #SYTYCD solos are to the music of #EMPIRE  I understand that next week's solos are to the music of #Masterchef @DANCEonFOX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was also looking for outraged tweets regarding Nigel's gaff - saying Jasmine danced the MistyBlue number with tWitch when it was Sasha (S08). I only found Nigel's tweets, not the things people tweet him - and I don't know enough about using twitter to figure out how to find the ones I've seen referred to elsewhere. Sorry.

He must never watch the show intros because there's a clip of Sasha and tWitch doing that dance every time they come back from commercial break! Time to let someone with more working grey cells be the face of SYTYCD, Nigel.

Afterbuzz Season 12 ep 12 with guest Ray Leeper:

https://youtu.be/_ejFeZr5imk

(This quote was related to (ep 11) Afterbuzz)

Maybe because this has come up before in other After Buzz eps I've watched, but I interpreted the comment in this ep as choreographers can request certain (previous season) dancers as their assistants, not request current competing dancers to work with for that week. Spencer mentioned in other eps that he frequently requests (and gets) Makenzie, for example.

OH remembered something else about this from a Spencer ep. The choreographers are asked for the names of the All-stars they want to work with when they're doing a piece. Edited by Electruck

S12 Top 10 Performance:  ALL STAR interviews by Hollywood Junket (note: there are audio issues with some of these)

Lots of interesting behind the scenes info on rehearsals and how All Stars are chosen in this almost 7 min. interview with Marko, Jaimie and Jessica.

Alex Wong: (some talk about rehearsals with Jaja and some about what he is doing)

Kayla Radomski:

(sexy) Comfort Fedoke:

This is a serious article from Canada's nationwide newspaper -- a professional dance critic reacts to SYTYCD.  I like the comments about the Cancer dance (I actually have cancer, so don't start on me):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/so-you-think-you-can-dance-embodies-a-tension-between-art-and-reality-tv/article26145435/

"Yes, I'm a dance critic. And, no, I don't really like So You Think You Can Dance"

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 3

This is a serious article from Canada's nationwide newspaper -- a professional dance critic reacts to SYTYCD.  I like the comments about the Cancer dance (I actually have cancer, so don't start on me):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/so-you-think-you-can-dance-embodies-a-tension-between-art-and-reality-tv/article26145435/

"Yes, I'm a dance critic. And, no, I don't really like So You Think You Can Dance"

Good find. Lots of great thoughts on SYTYCD and I found lots of things I'd like to quote, but I can't copy the whole article so here are just a couple of gems from author/dance critic Martha Shabas:

When the dancing is understood not for its actual choreographic content but for the narrative accoutrements that surround this content, the show isn’t about dancing any more. It’s about reality TV.   ...           

.... my attempt to binge-watch Season 12 saw me get through all of half its episodes. My failure had nothing to do with my concerns about art, progress, or whether dance was being framed in a productive, meaningful way. I just got a little bored.

Her criticisms boil down to what a lot of us have said: just give us the dance, we don't need to hear it's about some tragic life issue to appreciate it.  In the extreme cases like Mia's Dead Dad Dance, the story effectively disallows criticism of the dance itself.

However having said all that, I still can enjoy the show.

• Love 1

Afterbuzz S12 Ep 16 (Finale pt 2, winner announced), with guests Phoenix and Pharside.

Not much talk about the finale, but good stuff from P&P about doing choreography for the show.

Fun fact: Pharside has known Twitch for many years. They met when they battled each other. Pharside won their battle, but ultimately lost to Dominic (D-Trix).

• Love 2

I've been wondering too. I don't think we are going to get SYTYCD this year. Perhaps the lack of official announcement leaves open the possibility that it could re-surface on a different network - or format even - sometime in the future?

I think auditions usually start in late January.

You are correct. For some reason I thought auditions were held in late fall, probably because that is typically when they have been held for other FOX shows like the MasterChef franchise. TVLine reported today that the show has not officially been cancelled as of yet, but that no audition dates have been announced either.

http://tvline.com/gallery/cancelled-tv-shows-2016-status/#!9/sytycd-dewan/

• Love 1

Part of what was pushing me away from the show was that the contestants were making me feel old (I'm 35), so maybe just calling them kids instead of pretending they're adults would eliminate that.  At the same time, I've liked All-Stars more when they come back because they're physically grown up and that just looks better to me.  Who knows.  I can't imagine losing American IdolAmerica's Next Top Model and this show all at once so if this is what it takes...can't be worse than Stage v. Street.

• Love 1

Part of what was pushing me away from the show was that the contestants were making me feel old (I'm 35), so maybe just calling them kids instead of pretending they're adults would eliminate that.  

Oh, you are a young sprite still! This show STARTED (Season 1) when I was 35. That didn't stop SYTYCD from being a thing of magic and joy for me to watch--perhaps because I went into it having already accepted that youth wasn't forever, which freed me up to just enjoy all the talented contestants year after year, without letting my own thoughts of "being so old" intrude.

My only concern with letting in younger kids is a serious loss of some of that professional maturity we get with dancers in their 20s. What age range do the Powers That Be consider "junior"? Casual TV audiences might be amazed by a parade of 12-year-olds throwing spectacular turns and tricks, but dance fans will miss the nuance and finish of the older dancers. I for one always kind of thought that even 18 was a little young, especially for the guys. 

• Love 7

I'm disappointed.  I'm sure the kids will be talented and do a lot of tricks/turns.  However, I will also miss the maturity that the older dancers bring.  I also want to see some artistry so I hope we don't get a bunch of competition choreography.

• Love 2

And so ends the best dancing show on TV.  With all the changes last year, the show faltered badly in the young ratings demographic that it was aiming for.  If this idea tanks (which it will), the next version will be aimed at the pre-school demographic.  It's very sad, especially since the show has launched so many of its alums into professional careers as dancers and/or choreographers.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 1

I really watched the show for the artistic expression as well as great execution.  It was more of a show for me than a reality competition.  That's why I hated when Nigel and company started promoting their favorites from auditions and throughout the season.  You could tell who would get the good choreography and the good reviews.  But I hung in because the dancers were so talented.  I'm sure the 9 year old will be flexible, athletic etc. but I don't want to see them portray mature themes and I have no desire to watch the disney version week after week.  On the bright side, the tweens should be happy.  Instead of voting for the smallest and youngest-looking dancer that look like them, they will be them. 

• Love 1

The Fox announcement:

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: THE NEXT GENERATION” RETURNS FOR 13TH SEASON PREMIERING MONDAY, MAY 30 ON FOX AMERICA’S BEST YOUNG DANCERS WILL BE PAIRED WITH ALL-STARS

Host Cat Deeley and Judges Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo to Return

Auditions Kick Off In Los Angeles on Saturday, February 27; Chicago and New York City Also to Host Auditions

FOX has renewed the Emmy Award-winning SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (SYTYCD) for a 13th season that will feature a younger generation of dancers. This season, dancers between the ages of 8-13, who are skilled in various dance styles, such as contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation or breaking, will be paired up with All-Stars to compete for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer. Premiering Monday, May 30 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX, the new season of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: THE NEXT GENERATION will feature returning host Cat Deeley and returning judges Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo. During nationwide auditions, which begin next month in three cities, including Los Angeles (Saturday, Feb. 27), Chicago (Friday, March 11) and New York (Friday, March 18), the most talented next generation of dancers will compete in front of the judges for a place at “The Academy,” where only the best of the best will be selected for the next round of competition. At the end of the round, the Top 10 dancers will be partnered permanently with a SYTYCD All-Star. The competition then moves on to the SYTYCD studio, where the top youngsters will compete each week in a variety of styles, working and performing alongside their All-Stars with world-renowned choreographers. One young contestant will go home each week until a winner is named on the season finale. This season, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: THE NEXT GENERATION has an online registration audition option which begins today and ends Tuesday, March 1. All potential contestants are encouraged to have their parent or guardian sign up at the online audition portal at sytycdauditions.com and upload a video or provide a link to a video of the contestant’s performance. If selected, producers will reach out to schedule the contestant for a pre-arranged time slot in one of the three audition cities. Visit sytycdauditions.com for terms and conditions. “We are so happy to bring back the award-winning SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE for a 13th season this summer with a brand-new format,” said David Madden, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “The series has captivated its loyal fan base for over a decade, inspiring young dancers across the country and transforming the face of dance in every medium – and we’re so excited to feature a young and talented new group of performers on the series.” “Through the Dizzy Feet Foundation, I’ve had the great privilege of working with incredible young talent who will eventually shape the future of dance in this country,” said co-creator and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. “By evolving the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE format this season, we can showcase the very best junior dancers out there and open up the world of dance to a whole new generation.” Young contenders will have a shot at showing the judges they have what it takes to be America’s Favorite Dancer, when auditions start on Saturday, Feb. 27 at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, CA. Please check fox.com/dance for official rules and additional details.  

Cities                                    Dates / Times                          Venues

Los Angeles, CA                   Saturday, Feb. 27                     Orpheum Theatre 8:00 AM     842 Broadway                          Los Angeles, CA 90014  

Chicago, IL                            Friday, March 11                       Lou Conte Dance Studio 8:00 AM    1147 W. Jackson Blvd.             Chicago, IL 60607  

New York, NY                         Friday, March 18                     Broadway Dance Center 8:00 AM       322 West 45th                 New York, NY 10036

Auditioners traveling to cities for the open calls should make arrangements to stay for at least two days following their initial auditions in the event of a callback. Dancers either must be U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents of the U.S. or possess current legal Employment Authorization Cards enabling them to seek employment freely in the U.S. (i.e., without restrictions as to employer) by the date specified in the eligibility rules. Dancers must be 8-13 years old to audition. Dancers must be no younger than 9 as of April 1, 2016 or older than 13 years of age on the first day they register for auditions. Dancers must also have a parent and/or legal guardian accompany them to the audition and any callbacks and sign all required documents. Dancers must provide legal, valid proof of age when they register for auditions. Continue to check fox.com/dance for full eligibility rules and audition and show terms and conditions. Over the course of its 12 seasons,

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE has received 52 Emmy Award nominations and garnered 14 Emmy Award wins, including Outstanding Choreography for Travis Wall (2015); Mia Michaels (2011, 2010 and 2007); Napoleon and Tabitha Dumo (2014 and 2011); Tyce Diorio (2009); and Wade Robson (2008 and 2007). The hit series also received awards in the category of Outstanding Costumes in 2014, 2010 and in 2009, as well as awards in Outstanding Lighting Design in 2011 and 2012. In 2015 SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE celebrated seven Emmy Award nominations, including repeat nods in the categories of Outstanding Reality – Competition Series and Outstanding Host for Reality or Reality-Competition Program (Deeley). The series won a TEEN CHOICE Award in 2006 and a Television Critics Association Award in 2012 for Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming; a Critics’ Choice Television Award in 2012 for the category of Best Reality Series – Competition; and Deeley won the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Reality Show Host in 2015 and 2012. In September, Gaby Diaz was named the Season 12 winner during the live two-hour season finale. Miami native Diaz, 19, received the most votes and danced off with the cash prize of $250,000, the cover of Dance Spirit magazine and the chance to dance with Jennifer Lopez at her upcoming Las Vegas residency at The Axis at Planet Hollywood Resort. Diaz also joined the rest of the Top 10 for the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Season 12 Live Tour, which runs through Tuesday, Jan. 28 at the St. Denis Theatre in Montreal, Quebec. SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and is from 19 Entertainment, a division of CORE Media Group, and dick clark productions. The series is executive-produced by Fuller; Lythgoe; Allen Shapiro, CEO of dick clark productions; Barry Adelman, Executive Vice President of dick clark productions; Beverly Frank of 19 Entertainment; James Breen; and Jeff Thacker. - See more at: http://www.fox.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance/article/so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-generation-premieres-may-30#sthash.50hfuxhe.dpuf

This just seems like its going to lead to some really uncomfortable, icky moments.   So much of dancing (and especially SYTYCD) is intimate even if the story isn't about sex per se, and watching a grown man or woman with a young child doesn't seem like its going to produce any emotional or intense moments so much as just really disturbing ones.  They will have to water down style and choreography, especially in contemporary.   

It sounds like they are trying to marry Dance Moms + SYTYCD (not sure why, does anyone still watch Dance Moms?).  

I've stuck through all the mediocre crap because at the end of the day there are still some amazing dancers and dances every year, its cool to watch the dancers develop and launch their careers ... even meh seasons produced the likes of Jasmine Harper.  

But trying to imagine Allison Holker and an 8 year old boy doing a contemporary dance?  Ummm .... ok ... 

Edited by s-k-s
  • Love 4

Nope, I'm done.

I'm not up for watching a million emotional routines about parent-child relationships (because I don't think they're creative enough to come up with many other storylines for kids partnered with adults). I'm also not up for watching kids cry when they get eliminated.

• Love 1

Nope, I'm done.

I'm not up for watching a million emotional routines about parent-child relationships (because I don't think they're creative enough to come up with many other storylines for kids partnered with adults). I'm also not up for watching kids cry when they get eliminated.

I imagine we'll also get a lot of "growing up" routines wherein the all-star is the older version.  

I'm oddly fixated on how Nigel will use this to brag about his awesomeness- the article hints at it.  So for me this doesn't address one of the main problems (him) it just shifts things.  Hopefully we'll at least swap out "you're only x years old!" for "you're untrained and somehow don't fall, good on you!"  If they merge...no.

I also think that 8 is a bit young, and while I'll admit to having watched the occasional Dance Moms episode there's something off about it.  It's awkward because the kids don't always grasp the concept, or can't communicate the emotions.  Or the moves are way too overt for my taste.  Or the moves aren't fluid and it's a bit like choreographed flailing.  

What I'm having difficulty imagining most is...this is a show that's broken people.  You have to learn a routine quickly- multiple routines towards the end- and I'm not sure how that will play out with children.  Can their little bodies handle this?  

I dunno.  There are some entertaining kid-based reality shows out there (I'm loving Project Runway: Junior), it could be awesome.  I'm also deeply skeptical.  My curiosity will get me to tune in, though.  I mean...a Tyce contemporary routine, for example, could be all kinds of entertaining for entirely the wrong reasons.  Although, arguably the most memorable dance routine of the past few years (in general) was the girl in the Sia video, so maybe this can work.  They'll have to cast really well.  

On another note, sucks for kids who just got old enough to audition, or for anyone who planned to try again (though if it were canceled they'd be out of luck anyway).

Edited by phoenix780