Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

LaMonica Garrett (The Monitor) is in this, which I saw at TIFF. He's very, very tall in real life. (It was a weirdly Arrow-heavy fest. I also saw Bex Taylor-Klaus in Blackbird and Kacey Rohl in White Lie.) 

I know one way you guys are moving forward is by bringing Katrina Law on board, who I love and was so happy to see be a part of the show. What was it about this [Quinn Liu] character and about Katrina that had you excited to write for her?
[EP Peter M. Lenkov:] She’s great. She’s really strong. She can also play vulnerable. I was looking for someone who could really fit in.

In terms of [Quinn’s] skill set, she is a former CID who was bumped down to military police. She’s very much a broken toy, which McGarrett collects. She’s great at her job. I just wanted somebody who was believable in that kind of role. The action stuff, that’s hard — having a gun, being believable while running, you have to be great at that. But you have to be great at the emotional character stuff. [Katrina] really is the utility player; she can do it all.
We’ve talked a lot about thematic stuff over the years, and new avenues for you to be able to explore on the show. Is there a new impulse this year, something new and unexplored, that you wanted to dive into?
There is so much stuff that I’ve never gotten to. There are still so many stories that we’ve always pushed downfield because, for one reason or another, we thought they would work better later. Now, on top of that, we have a whole new character to take a deep dive into — who she is, where she’s from, and how she interacts with everyone.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Will 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 10 Include a McGarrett & Quinn Romance?
Jim Halterman September 20, 2019 
https://www.tvinsider.com/811015/hawaii-five-0-season-10-mcgarrett-quinn-romance-magnum-pi-crossover/

They have some new help: former staff sergeant with the Army Criminal Investigation Command Quinn Liu (Katrina Law). Recently demoted for insubordination, Liu proves herself to McGarrett by helping solve the case and eventually becomes a member of Five-0, says executive producer Peter Lenkov, who hasn't ruled out a potential office romance: "Right now it's strictly professional [between them, but] what works for us is seeing how people connect and then writing to that."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Terrence Howard To Star & Executive Produce ‘Triumph’ Opposite RJ Mitte – AFM
By Anthony D'Alessandro   October 2, 2019
https://deadline.com/2019/10/terrence-howard-to-star-in-triumph-with-r-j-mitte-1202750775/ 

EXCLUSIVE: We hear that Hustle & Flow Oscar nominee and Empire star Terrence Howard is joining Brett Leonard’s feature Triumph opposite Breaking Bad’s RJ Mitte. Howard will also executive produce the pic with Mitte.
Triumph follows a bright and determined teen (Mitte) with mild cerebral palsy as he strives to be a wrestler on his high school team while going to humorous lengths to win over the heart of a classmate, the girl of his dreams. Production is currently underway in Los Angeles.
The pic also stars Colton Haynes (San Andreas), Grace Victoria Cox (Netflix’s The Society) and Jonathon Schaech (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Ray Donovan). Also executive producing with Howard and Mitte are Jean Michael Lif, Gabrielle Tuite, Jonathan Bross, Ken Ziman, Rich Seldes, George Wight, David LaChance, Tyler W. Conney and Phillip Dawe.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’s Josh Segarra To Recur In Fox’s Holiday Event Comedy Series ‘The Moodys’
By Denise Petski  October 8, 2019
https://deadline.com/2019/10/arrow-josh-segarra-fox-holiday-event-comedy-series-the-moodys-1202755641/

EXCLUSIVE: Arrow‘s Josh Segarra is set for a recurring role opposite Denis Leary and Elizabeth Perkins in The Moodys (fka A Moody Christmas), Fox’s half-hour holiday event series adaptation of the Australian series. Slated to air in December, the single-camera comedy series hails from CBS TV Studios, which will co-produce with Fox Entertainment.

Written by Bob Fisher, Rob Greenberg and Tad Quill, the six-episode series revolves around the Moodys, including Sean Sr. (Leary), his wife Ann (Perkins), their three grown children and an assorted mix of extended family members who gather for the holidays, with each packing his/her own eccentricities and complications.

Segarra will play Marco, “a commodities broker with exquisite phone skills” who is the son of Uncle Eugenio and Aunt Kathy. Handsome and charming, he thinks he might have found “the one” in Cora, though he’s not the most attentive boyfriend and is completely unaware that Dan is immediately smitten by his girlfriend.

Segarra plays Adrian Chase/Prometheus on the CW’s Arrow, which begins its eighth and final season October 15. He’ll next be seen starring alongside RuPaul Charles on Netflix’s anticipated dramedy AJ and the Queen and also will return to Comedy Central’s The Other Two in his recurring role of Lance. He recently was seen as C.O. Stefanovic on Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black. Segarra is repped by Abrams Artists Agency, ATA Management and Ryan LeVine at Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Edited by tv echo

Does KM ever sleep? ...

The Stand: Katherine McNamara, Eion Bailey Join CBS All Access Event Series
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 11 2019, 
https://tvline.com/2019/10/11/the-stand-katherine-mcnamara-eion-bailey-cast/

Arrow‘s Katherine McNamara and Once Upon a Time alum Eion Bailey are among the latest additions to CBS All Access’ adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand.

Hamish Linklater (The New Adventures of Old Christine, Legion) has also boarded the 10-episode event series. They join previously announced cast members James Marsden, Amber Heard, Odessa Young, Jovan Adepo, Owen Teague, Henry Zaga, Brad William Henke, Alexander Skarsgård and Whoopi Goldberg.
Of the new castings, TVLine has learned that McNamara will play Julie Lawry, a small-town girl with a wild side who has a run-in with Lloyd (Nat Wolff) in Las Vegas, while Bailey will play Teddy Weizak, a superflu survivor and member of the body crew, alongside Harold (Teague), in Boulder, Colo.
Production is currently underway in Vancouver.

King will write the last chapter of the CBS All Access event series, providing a new coda that didn’t exist in the original novel.

Edited by tv echo

‘Carnival Row’: Erik Oleson Steps In As Showrunner For Marc Guggenheim, Travis Beacham Exits Amazon Series
By Nellie Andreeva  October 11, 2019 
https://deadline.com/2019/10/carnival-row-erik-oleson-replacement-marc-guggenheim-showrunner-travis-beacham-departs-amazon-drama-co-creator-season-2-1202754326/ 

EXCLUSIVE: There are major behind-the-scenes changes on Amazon’s Carnival Row as the fantasy drama starring Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne is heading into its second season.

Erik Oleson (Netflix’s Daredevil) has come on board as executive producer and new showrunner. He will succeed at the helm Season 1 showrunner Marc Guggenheim, who has been busy spearheading and executive producing the upcoming big Arrowverse crossover event on the CW. Guggenheim, who also has feature projects in the works, is stepping back from his day-to-day involvement on Carnival Row but will be consulting on the series going forward.
Amazon renewed Carnival Row for a second season in July, ahead of its Aug. 30 Season 1 debut.  Production on the second season has just began in Prague. I hear the plan is for filming to continue during the showrunner changeover. The series may go on a brief hiatus to give Oleson time to examine the existing scripts and outlines and put his own stamp on them. That is not expected to impact the timeline for when Season 2 will be available on Prime Video.

15 Embarrassing Roles Arrow Actors Want You To Forget
BY MATTHEW THOMAS – ON OCT 12, 2019 
https://www.thethings.com/15-embarrassing-roles-arrow-actors-want-you-to-forget/

11 STEPHEN AMELL - JUSTICE FOR NATALEE HOLLOWAY
11-18.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=491

Released only a year before Arrow made its debut, Justice for Natalee Holloway was a TV movie that included Stephen Amell as Joran van der Sloot. Based on a real-life tragedy, the people that made this movie clearly thought they could float by on the emotion that event inspires in people as they crafted a really bad film.

15 DAVID NYKL – TOMORROWLAND
14 MANU BENNETT – THE MARINE
13 KATRINA LAW - SNOW BRIDE

12 DANIELLE PANABAKER - PIRANHA 3DD
11 STEPHEN AMELL - JUSTICE FOR NATALEE HOLLOWAY
10 RICK GONZALEZ - CROCODILE DUNDEE IN LOS ANGELES
9  NEAL MCDONOUGH – 88 MINUTES

8   BRANDON ROUTH – SUPERMAN RETURNS
7  WILLA HOLLAND – TIGER EYES
6  TOM CAVANAGH – YOGI BEAR
5  KATIE CASSIDY - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
4  JOHN BARROWMAN - SHARK ATTACK 3: MEGALODON

3  DOMINIC PURCELL – IN THE NAME OF THE KING 3: THE LAST MISSION
2  NEAL MCDONOUGH – I KNOW WHO KILLED ME
1  GRANT GUSTIN - KID FITNESS JUNGLE ADVENTURE

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Emily's co-star James Maslow talks about her role and her performance in "We Need to Talk."

‘Arrow’ Star Emily Bett Rickards Gets Inappropriate In ‘We Need To Talk’ Movie

By Rachael Ellenbogen on 11/5/19 at 4:42 pm est

Shortly after “Arrow” star Emily Bett Rickards announced she was leaving “Arrow” after seven seasons, the Felicity actress was cast in a new indie comedy flick, “We Need to Talk,” opposite “Big Time Rush” alum James Maslow.

Rickards, who will be returning for the upcoming series finale of “Arrow,” is playing a very different role from Felicity in her upcoming flick, which was directed and written by Todd Wolfe.

The film centers Great Scott Gamer (Maslow), a self-absorbed and popular online gamer, and the journey he goes on when he realizes he might lose his longtime girlfriend, Aly (Christel Khalil, “The Young and the Restless”), after she tells him, “We need to talk.” Rickards plays Aly’s best friend and Scott’s enemy, Amber.

While speaking with International Business Times earlier this year, Maslow shared a little bit more about Rickards’ edgy, orange-haired movie character.

Whereas Felicity’s all about accidentally letting sexual innuendos about Oliver (Stephen Amell) slip out, Amber is all about purposefully acting as inappropriately as possible.

“She’s fantastic. I don’t watch a whole lot of TV, but when ‘Arrow’ first came out, I saw her on that show, and it was fun to watch her, and I can’t wait for people to see her character in this movie because it is…inappropriate. She makes my character look like a priest. Like a saint, if you will. Her character is... wildly inappropriate,” Maslow told IBT.

• Love 2

Katherine McNamara Sings in 'DreamWorks Spirit Riding Free's Holiday Special Trailer (VIDEO)
Meaghan Darwish November 20, 2019 
https://www.tvinsider.com/833811/katherine-mcnamara-singing-spirit-riding-free-christmas-sally-jessup/ 

Just in time for the holidays, DreamWorks Spirit Riding Free's holiday special, DreamWorks Spirit Riding Free: Spirit of Christmas debuts Friday, December 6 on Netflix with a very special voice among the cast.

The special from DreamWorks introduces Sally Jessup, played by Arrow and Shadowhunters star Katherine McNamara, and the multi-talented actress performs various original holiday tunes in the program. Luckily, TV Insider has your first look — or rather listen — for the teaser trailer highlighting McNamara's vocals.

In the special, Lucky and her friends prepare for the season with a Christmas Eve adventure into the city as they track down the perfect gift. Of course, what would the holidays be without a little chaos? Despite a safe journey to find a gift, an avalanche keeps the group from being able to travel back to Miradero right away.

Yet in the midst of drama, the PALs meet their favorite singer, Sally Jessup, whose honest and heartwarming music gives them the hope they need to continue their journey home.

In the trailer above, catch a glimpse of things to come amd hear some tunes from McNamara. For those who aren't familiar with the title, DreamWorks Spirit Riding Free's franchise stems from the world built in the 2002 film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Patti Murin and Colin Donnell to Star in Hallmark Winterfest Movie Love on Iceland
BY LOGAN CULWELL-BLOCK  NOV 20, 2019 
http://www.playbill.com/article/patti-murin-and-colin-donnell-to-star-in-hallmark-winterfest-movie-love-on-iceland 

Frozen star Patti Murin may be leaving Arendelle next year, but she's vacationing to a different Ice-land this winter in Hallmark's Love on Iceland. Murin co-stars with husband and fellow Broadway alum Colin Donnell in the romantic comedy, currently in production and scheduled to debut on the cable network January 25, 2020.

Murin plays Chloe, a podcast creator who spontaneously travels to Iceland with college friends to find ideas for new podcasts. Chloe unexpectedly runs into her ex, Charlie (Donnell), which leads to new beginnings. Empire and Nashville star Kaitlin Doubleday will co-star.
The couple, who met in 2007 and started dating in 2013 while co-starring in the Public Theater's Love's Labour's Lost musical, married in 2015.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Production Designer Chris Crane on Creating the World of Code 8
By NICOLE DRUM - November 30, 2019 
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/11/30/code-8-production-designer-chris-crane-interview 

Back in 2016, Arrow star Stephen Amell and his cousin, The Flash star Robbie Amell debuted Code 8, a short film set in a world that saw 4 percent of the population having superpowers, but also treated like outcasts as a result. The short film, which followed Robbie's character simply attempting to earn a living and survive in this brutal, oppressive world, quickly earned a lot of excitement from fans. Soon after the short film's release, the actors turned their attention to expanding on that short film and launched a crowdfunding campaign to make Code 8 a full-length feature. Three years later, those efforts have paid off. Code 8 is set to hit theaters and on-demand in just two weeks.

But how do you go from an established short film to the full-length feature? What goes into effectively rebuilding a world fans first got a glimpse of three years before and, then, expanding on it? How do you create a world that's like our own while also being totally unique and different at the same time? All of these are questions and challenges faced by Chris Crane, the production designer for Code 8. ComicBook.com recently had the opportunity to sit down with Crane to talk about how the world of Code 8 came together and what it was like to jump into a project that already had a somewhat established world and then take it to the next level -- including sourcing some interesting locations for some of the film's most significant settings and the work of making the fictional Lincoln City its own, unique space.
SLIDE 4 OF 8  ON DISTINGUISHING CODE 8 FROM OTHER "SUPER" PROJECTS

ComicBook.com: Now, as I'm sure you're aware, both Stephen and Robbie Amell, both have worked on some projects that deal with characters in worlds where people with special abilities and powers exist. Stephen obviously is on Arrow and Robbie has been on The Flash but also was on a television show called Tomorrow People. Had you seen any of those projects prior to building the world for Code 8?
Chris Crane
: No, I actually watched Arrow maybe like last year for the first time and Flash. I love superhero movies. You know, I always go see the latest DC or Marvel movies when they come out. But for me, this was more about, I know it's like cheesy to say, but it's more about people first and sort of the characters and then the special abilities. And the kind of five-seconds-in-the-future elements were kind of something that we shaded over top of that. So I had to kind of figure out who these people really were and where they were existing. Then we can kind of add the element that made it more like the [Lincoln] City type of story. And also obviously like, knowing the movies and projects that come before, but trying to do our own thing at the same time as well.

Edited by tv echo

Why Stephen Amell and Robbie Amell are returning to Code 8 for Quibi spin-off
Sydney Bucksbaum  Dec. 11, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/11/stephen-amell-robbie-amell-code-8-quibi-spinoff-series/ 

It was announced Tuesday that he and cousin Robbie Amell’s upcoming feature film Code 8 is getting a Quibi spin-off series. Both Stephen and Robbie will star in the short-form series, which serves as a sequel to their independent sci-fi thriller.
“We’ve known that the Quibi deal has been coming down for weeks,” Stephen tells EW with a laugh. “And everyone’s been asking us, ‘What do you think about a sequel or a spin-off?’ And we’re like, ‘Uh, hmm… No comment.’”
And while Stephen jokes that “our director will kill us if we say anything” about the spin-off series, we do know some details already. Code 8 director Jeff Chan will serve as showrunner and write it with Chris Paré. The series will take place years after the film, following ex-con Connor Reed (Robbie) and telekinetic drug dealer Garrett (Stephen) as they’re forced to work together to bring down a dangerous trafficking ring run by corrupt cops and the city’s elite.

Stephen filmed the Code 8 film while on hiatus from Arrow, but now that production has wrapped on the final season of the CW superhero series, the actor has two new screen projects lined up with the Quibi series and Heels, an eight-episode Starz wrestling drama. As for why he’s already padding out his future after eight years starring on a time-consuming and high-energy series like Arrow, Stephen laughs.

“In fairness, I am taking a break,” he says. “I’ve been off since the 15th of November, when we wrapped Arrow. I don’t start on Heels until mid-March-ish. Right now I’m at my daughter’s tennis lesson. [Laughs] This is my life now. I did want to take a little bit of a break and a little bit of a reset, but I love acting so much and I love being on a film set. The reason why I wanted to stop doing Arrow is that I wanted to be a little bit more in control of my schedule, and I’m electively deciding that I want to do Heels and that I want to be involved in the spin-off to Code 8.”

Code 8 opens Dec. 13 in select theaters and on VOD.

Edited by tv echo

Stephen Amell on ‘Code 8’ and His One Requirement for Being in the Sci-Fi Drama
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      DECEMBER 18, 2019
https://collider.com/stephen-amell-interview-code-8/ 

This is a story that’s in the superhero genre, which is a genre that you and Robbie are both familiar with. Were there things that you knew you wanted to do with it, specifically because you know they work and wanted to shake things up?
AMELL: Well, I left a lot of that to Robbie and Jeff, along with Chris Pare, the writer. But in an early draft of the script, my character didn’t have superpowers and I was like, “Guys, there is no world where I do this movie and I don’t have superpowers. Understand? Okay.”

Did it feel very different to play a character that does have a power and doesn’t have a costume?
AMELL: Yes, and yes. 

Was it fun to adjust to figuring out how to use the powers and how to convey that how you wanted to?
AMELL: Yeah, that’s a great question. The first day of filming the full length trailer, where you see me use my mind to take a light bulb and give it to Robbie, I didn’t know how my powers worked or what that would look like. I just remember turning to Jeff and going, “Look man, I have an idea. Let’s assume that, as telekinetic, I’m right handed, so my right hand will be back and my left hand will be forward, and I’m going to try really hard. You just have to promise me one thing.” He said, “What’s that?” And I said, “Don’t make me look stupid.” But it was really cool because Robbie is an electric in the movie, so he created what an electric looks like and how an electric uses their powers. And as a telekinetic, I did the same thing. In the Code 8 world, that was really cool. And um, have you seen the full movie?
After eight seasons on a TV series, it would be easy to understand, if you decided you wanted to take a long vacation, but apparently you’ve already lined up another TV series, with Heels for Starz. How did that come about, and what are you most excited about with that show?
AMELL: I knew that it was time to be done with Arrow, but I didn’t have any plans, as to what I was gonna do next. And then, all of a sudden, this project, Heels, came about and my agent and manager got in touch with me and were like, “Look, we think that Starz is gonna come at you with an offer for this show.” It was right before I went and saw my friend Emily [Bett Rickards’] play in New York, and Greg Berlanti ended up being there the same night, totally randomly. I was like, “Hey, man, this really awesome show is probably gonna give me an offer to do it. What do I do?” And Greg said, “Maybe don’t do the first thing that comes along, after Arrow is done.” And I went, “Greg, I agree, but also, I’ve read the first three scripts, and it’s incredible.” And he said, “Well, then you should do it.” And that was that.

When I read about the series, I have to admit that it seemed tailor made for your interests.
AMELL: Doesn’t it?! I’m researching, and I’ve been watching professional wrestling, all morning. When something comes along like this, I think it’s gonna be great. But finishing eight seasons of a TV show, I wanted to be done with Arrow, but I love working, so much, and I love being on set. I just wanted to be done with Arrow

It certainly seems like, if you want to find a project that’s very different from Arrow, this is the way to do that.
AMELL: Yeah, which is cool. 

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

AMELL: I knew that it was time to be done with Arrow, but I didn’t have any plans, as to what I was gonna do next. And then, all of a sudden, this project, Heels, came about and my agent and manager got in touch with me and were like, “Look, we think that Starz is gonna come at you with an offer for this show.” It was right before I went and saw my friend Emily [Bett Rickards’] play in New York, and Greg Berlanti ended up being there the same night, totally randomly. I was like, “Hey, man, this really awesome show is probably gonna give me an offer to do it. What do I do?” And Greg said, “Maybe don’t do the first thing that comes along, after Arrow is done.” And I went, “Greg, I agree, but also, I’ve read the first three scripts, and it’s incredible.” And he said, “Well, then you should do it.” And that was that.

This is how I imagine him responding whenever he asks someone for advice.

Ask, and if they disagree with what you want to do, talk them into it, LOL.

• LOL 5

Ten Favorite Horror Movies of the Decade
by Collin Henderson   December 31, 2019
https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/12/31/ten-favorite-horror-movies-of-the-decade/

6. Last Shift (2014, dir. Anthony DiBlasi)
But perhaps the biggest factor in the movie’s success is Juliana Harkavy’s outstanding performance. She is given a ton of material to work with, with her character going through almost every major emotion imaginable, and Harkavy nails it every single time. She becomes an easy surrogate character for the viewer, who is with her every terrifying step of the way. And this is perhaps the most overtly scary movie on this list, with superb sound design, effective camerawork, and other trickery that manages to get under the viewer’s skin without resorting to cheap jump scares.

Edited by tv echo

The TVLine Performers of the Week: Penn Badgley and Victoria Pedretti
By Team TVLine / January 4 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/01/04/you-season-2-episode-10-penn-badgley-victoria-pedretti-performances/ 

HONORABLE MENTION | Bex Taylor-Klaus first gained our attention with a breakout role as The Killing‘s Bullet, and Fox’s newly launched Deputy is poised to be their most fulfilling, enjoyable role since. As Deputy Brianna Bishop — the sharp-dressed, decidedly contemporary bodyguard/driver for scruffy, old-school Sheriff Hollister (played by Stephen Dorff) — Taylor-Klaus doesn’t visually fit into this gritty world, and yet perfectly does, espousing insightful intel that can only help the new boss navigate the politics of his unexpectedly acquired promotion. But in addition to playing a slick sage, Taylor-Klaus quickly proved that they are more than up to the task of doing all else that comes with the engaging role, from joining in a stealthy stakeout to then saddling up, quite literally, for a guns-ablazing gallop into the bad guys’ lair. It’s fun stuff for a fine actor.

Edited by tv echo

Roswell NM Boss Teases Season 2 LGBTQ Reveal, Arrow Vet's Visit
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 5 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/01/05/roswell-new-mexico-season-2-spoilers-lgbtq-reveal-liz-mom-visit/ 

Ten weeks out from Roswell, New Mexico‘s Season 2 premiere, showrunner Carina Adly Mackenzie has surprised fans with exactly five teases about what’s to come.
Conversely, the EP did name Arrow and Supernatural alum Madison McLaughlin (photo right) as an upcoming guest star… but without revealing her role. (Was Artemis abducted by aliens before Lian Yu’s explosion? Discuss.)

Edited by tv echo

Alison Luff is 31, so she could be playing SA's wife - but the way they describe her makes me think she's playing someone like, maybe, the Spade brothers' stepmother (the much younger, second wife of their late father, like Dynasty)...

‘Heels’: Alison Luff To Star In Starz’s Wrestling Drama Series
By Nellie Andreeva   January 7, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/01/alison-luff-cast-heels-starz-wrestling-drama-series-1202822846/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Broadway actress/musician Alison Luff (Waitress) has been cast as the female lead opposite Stephen Amell and Alexander Ludwig in Heels, Starz’s eight-episode hourlong drama set in the outrageous world of independent professional wrestling.

Written by Michael Waldron and directed by Peter Segal, with Mike O’Malley as showrunner, Heels is a story about the men and women who chase their dreams in the world of small town pro wrestling. Set in a close-knit Georgia community, it follows a family-owned wrestling promotion as two brothers and rivals, Jack (Amell) and Ace (Ludwig) Spade, war over their late father’s legacy. In the ring, somebody must play the good guy (Ludwig) and somebody must play their nemesis, the heel (Amell). But in the real world, those characters can be hard to live up to — or hard to leave behind.
Luff will play Staci Spade, the reluctant young matriarch of a family-owned Southern wrestling promotion. Having married into the world of independent wrestling, she soon learns that she has to contend with the emotional stakes her in-laws have invested in their wrestling goals and the demands it puts on her family.

FYI:
Watch WAITRESS Star Alison Luff's Incredible Rendition of "She Used to Be Mine"
Broadwaycom   Aug. 29, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c7NUyhNuEs

Edited by tv echo

Peter Segal to Direct Stephen Amell’s Pro Wrestling Drama ‘Heels’ at Starz (EXCLUSIVE)
By JOE OTTERSON    DECEMBER 5, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/stephen-amell-pro-wrestling-heels-starz-peter-segal-1203426108/

Peter Segal will direct and executive produce Stephen Amell’s upcoming Starz series “Heels,” Variety has learned exclusively.
The films Segal has directed have grossed over $1.1 billion worldwide. He has been at the helm of comedies like “Tommy Boy,” “50 First Dates,” “Get Smart,” “The Longest Yard,” and “Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult.” His next film will be the action-comedy “My Spy” starring Dave Bautista, which is due out in 2020. On the television side, he has directed episodes of the Starz series “Survivor’s Remorse” and the Showtime series “Shameless.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Interview: Evan Roderick discusses his new Netflix series Spinning Out
PIP ELLWOOD-HUGHES   JANUARY 13, 2020
https://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-section/tv-interviews/interview-evan-roderick-discusses-his-new-netflix-series-spinning-out/

Evan Roderick first came to my attention playing Officer Nick Anastas in Arrow.

He’s now the lead in new Netflix series Spinning Out, which premiered globally on 1st January 2020. The ice skating drama sees him starring alongside Kaya Scodelario (Crawl) and January Jones (Mad Men), as a competitive figure skater.
You’ve kicked off 2020 with a brand new show on Netflix and you’re one of the lead actors in it. What can people expect from Spinning Out?
So much! Basically, the story’s centred around Kat Baker, she’s an elite level figure skater, a single skater, who’s thinking about quitting after a pretty nasty fall strips her of her confidence. Through a series of events she gets this opportunity to try to pair skating and that’s where the story takes off. It’s romance and she’s dealing with mental illness. It’s all this stuff thrown into one big pot. It’s pretty dramatic and it’s pretty intense.

Your character is Justin Davis, who seems to be the bad boy on the show and he’s Kat’s skating partner. What do we need to know about him going into the show?
He’s a pair skater, he’s an Olympic hopeful and he’s one of the better skaters in the region. He has a bad attitude and a penchant for partying that gets in his way sometimes. With characters like him, I think there’s a lot more going on under the surface and you discover that as the season moves forward.
Viewers are gravitating more towards human dramas and away from superhero shows at the moment. Do you think that because the characters in Spinning Out are relatable and it’s telling a very human story, that’s what’s pulling people in?
I think so. It’s really is a family drama. A lot of my friends, guys who I grew up with playing hockey or whatever, a lot of them came from families where our dads were kind of old school guys who don’t necessarily think figure skating is a sport that’s admirable, when it completely is. A lot of my friends seemed to resonate with a lot of that kind of family tension and family struggle. I think there’s a character in this story for everybody. There is such a human quality to the story and such a human quality to these characters. They don’t feel like superheroes, they’re just regular people trying to make it work. I agree with you. I think people really do resonate with the family drama aspect of the show.
You were part of the Arrow cast before you got the role on Spinning Out. How are you feeling about Arrow coming to an end this year?
Stephen Amell, I don’t know how old he was, but he’s been playing that part for almost 10 years. That’s got to be emotional for those guys. I feel the swing of these more kind of human dramas coming back with some of these superhero shows wrapping up. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a lot more shows in the same vein as Spinning Out in the next five years or so.

What was your experience like on Arrow?
It was really my first foray into acting. It was first part. I think if I hadn’t had my experience on Arrow, I don’t think I’d have been ready to do Spinning Out. I learned from guys like Echo (Kellum) and Stephen Amell. Watching them, how they talk to people on set, how a whole set operates… it was such a well-oiled machine. I think I couldn’t have learned from a better show.

Edited by tv echo
On 9/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, tv echo said:

Alexander Ludwig is a 27-year-old Canadian actor (he's 6'2") - you may remember him from Vikings and The Hunger Games...

Alexander Ludwig To Star Opposite Stephen Amell In Starz’s Wrestling Drama Series ‘Heels’

This interview is promotion for his new movie with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence so he doesn't talk about Heelers but it's worth a listen; he's an interesting guy.  More the star of the series than SA, I think.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/alexander-ludwig-on-acting-battling-addiction-and-type-casting-in-hollywood-1.5429669