Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

(edited)

Seven Roles That Made Us Love Russell Tovey, From ‘Doctor Who’ to ‘The Night Manager’
BY NICK LEVINE | JUNE 25, 2019
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2019/06/seven-roles-that-made-us-love-russell-tovey-from-doctor-who-to-the-night-manager 

Doctor Who
Tovey guest-starred opposite David Tennant and Kylie Minogue in the show’s 2007 Christmas Special, ‘Voyage of the Damned.’ He plays Alonso Frame, a midshipman aboard the spaceship Titanic who makes up for what he lacks in voyaging experience with lashings of courage. Tovey’s character pops up again in Tennant’s farewell two-parter, 2010’s ‘The End of Time,’ enjoying a frisson of flirtation with John Barrowman‘s Captain Jack Harkness. Now, there’s a spin-off we’d like to see!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Michael Rowe Talks ‘Crown and Anchor’
by MIKE PHALIN June 26, 2019
https://www.fanbolt.com/96707/michael-rowe-talks-crown-and-anchor/

Michael Rowe, who’s steely gaze graced us in the CW’s Arrow as Deadshot is now being put to good use in his brother Andrew’s newest film Crown and Anchor. This week we spoke with the Newfoundland native about this project and what it’s like working with your kin.
Crown and Anchor will be available on DVD and Digital July 2nd.
Synopsis:

Crown and Anchor follows James Downey (Michael Rowe), who is living a disciplined and straight edge lifestyle as a result of growing up with an abusive alcoholic father. His estranged cousin Danny (Matt Wells) is drowning his own trauma with drugs and booze. When their lives are forced to intersect once more, they each begin to unravel as the past returns with violent and tragic consequences.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Posted yesterday - Todd Wolfe is already wrapping up filming We Need to Talk - EBR's role must be really small because it seemed like she only filmed one or two days...

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Reborning comments from uInterview's interview with EBR...

'Arrow' Star Emily Bett Rickards On Her Play 'Reborning'
Published on Jun 28, 2019, by uinterview

-- On the plot of Reborning, EBR: "It's about this woman, Kelly, who I play, who plays, um - who designs these reborning dolls, which are dolls to feel and look like real people, um, real infants in this case. Um, and she starts having a turn in her life that causes her to question identity and choices in life, um, and the catalyst of that is a client who comes in and starts asking her to perfect this doll that my character already thought was perfected. And so, on top of this sort of, um, cyclical need to strive for perfection, she starts looking inside herself. And, when that happens, all these sort of questions and demons start coming out, and whether or not, you know, they're necessary - I guess is the term we'll go with - or where they're going to lead her later in her life, which would be later in our show."

-- EBR: "Well, the writing is - I think the writing is phenomenal. I read it, um - Paul, who's in the show with me, you know, he presented the play to me, um, over a year ago or two years ago now, and was like, 'I think you'd be really great for this part.' And I was like, 'okay,' so I read it. And on first read, I was like, this woman is nuts! How did he think I was good for this? Well, it turns out, um, the character - she's got a lot of depth, she has a lot of layers, and it's sort of finding those things more and more and more and wondering."

-- EBR: "Getting to do this character, um - we - we did a brief run of the show in Vancouver... and getting to explore Kelly again and her and this life that she's living, um, has been such a blessing because I understand her so much more now, and I understand so much more about her than I have. She's created a really special burrow in my heart."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Spotlight on Todd Wolfe and “We Need to Talk”
July 1, 2019
https://film.org/spotlight-on-todd-wolfe-and-we-need-to-talk/ 

Todd Wolfe is an award-winning filmmaker, and a Philadelphia resident of more than two decades.  Originally from Danville, PA, Todd relocated to Phily to attend school, and pursue a career in the arts.  After a multi-year stint with legendary label Ruffhouse Records, Todd transitioned from the record business over to music video and film production.
Todd recently wrapped principal photography on his latest feature film ‘We Need to Talk’, which he wrote and directed.  The film, a comedy staring James Maslow (‘Big Time Rush’), Johnathan Fernandez (‘Lethal Weapon’), Emily Bett Rickards (‘Arrow’), Christel Khalil (‘The Young and the Restless’), and Tray Chaney (‘The Wire), was Produced by Paul Irwin. Executive Producers Larry Weitzner and Ray Carballada are running the film through their recently announced creative content venture AmpiFLY.

Todd and Paul have also been developing a follow-up to ‘We Need to Talk’, the dysfunctional romantic comedy ‘Adultland’, which Todd penned and has been tapped to Direct as well.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

-- On how EBR came on board, Paul: "It's funny, I read Reborning and then probably two weeks later, Emily was doing a little improv and it was hilarious. It just clicked and I was like, 'wow, she'd be fantastic for this play,' so I just reached out, not expecting her to want to do it. Um, but her response was very enthusiastic. Just not even knowing what play, she wanted to do theater, which was very cool."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Director Ivan Zacharias and Actor David Nykl on HBO Spy Drama ‘Sleepers’
By CHRISTOPHER VOURLIAS  JULY 4, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/festivals/director-ivan-zacharias-and-actor-david-nykl-on-hbo-spy-drama-sleepers-1203259643/

Thirty years after the Velvet Revolution that brought down the communist regime in the former Czechoslovakia, the six-part HBO Europe series “The Sleepers” captures that tumultuous time with a spy drama set behind the Iron Curtain.

On the eve of its world premiere at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival, director Ivan Zacharias (“Wasteland”) and actor David Nykl (“Stargate”) joined Variety film critic Peter Debruge to discuss the series at the Variety Critics Corner, presented by HBO Europe.
The show’s creators were also faced with more cosmetic challenges — perhaps none more difficult than finding suitably grimy corners of the spruced-up capital to shoot in. “Back in 1989, it was an older, decrepit-looking Prague,” said Nykl. “It’s beautiful now.”

Nykl was born in the former Czechoslovakia but left when his family fled the country after the Soviet invasion of 1968. Playing an English diplomat in the series, he described “The Sleepers” as “a series about identity, and who are you, and the potential for being more than what you appear to be.”

It’s a theme that resonates with an actor best known for sci-fi and superhero roles. “This is new. This is exciting,” he said. “I think it’s also new for the Czech Republic to have an espionage drama. It’s a great genre.”

Edited by tv echo

Great that the play is getting good reviews, cool that JWS went to see it. 

I'll look forward to seeing David Nykl in Sleepers, definitely a good fit for him and a chance to do something a bit different, although that's what you get when you work mostly in Vancouver. 

• Love 1
On 7/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, tv echo said:

Walter! ...

Oh God, I think I'll have to watch it now. And I'm oretty sure I didn't even manage to get through the pilot. 

(edited)

Another Funny Story interview that I didn't see before...

Writer-Director Michael J. Gallagher's 'Funny Story' is More Than Just Jokes
Michael Kuciak  June 19, 2019
https://blog.finaldraft.com/writer-director-michael-j.-gallaghers-funny-story 

Funny Story is a dramedy co-written and directed by Michael J. Gallagher. It’s about Walter (Matthew Glave), an aging television star who agrees to drive Kim (Emily Bett Rickards) as he takes a road trip to Big Sur to see his estranged daughter, Nic (Jana Winternitz, who is also credited as a producer), get married. Walter and Kim are very much opposites, and they struggle to keep their conflict from ruining Nic’s nuptials.

Funny Story premiered at the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival, where it was an official selection. The well-received film has since barnstormed the festival circuit to pick up an additional 18 awards. 
According to Gallagher, making Walter and Kim each other’s — and their own — worst enemy was intentional. 

“So we didn’t really want either of them to feel like a hero, and we didn’t want either one to feel like a villain,” he said. 

“We had designed it where Kim was going through a quarter-life crisis and Walter was going through a midlife crisis. What if these two individuals happened to meet at not the greatest time and, without knowing it, were both involved with the character of Nic? We didn’t want to make one character better than the other, or more righteous; we wanted each of them to just kind of do what they normally do, but now the stakes are much higher.”

Putting a stress test on both Kim and Walter’s moral compass was a way to see if they, as “self-destructive, and kind of narcissistic” could change, Gallagher said.
Gallagher said the leads’ conflict is generational, as well. 

“We wanted to follow both a baby boomer and a millennial and see their different ways into the world and let those ingredients play,” he said.
The casting process was swift, too. 

“We sent [Emily Bett Rickards] the script and we just talked about the character for a few hours … and it was pretty instantaneous that she would do it. She had a full handle on the character,” Gallagher said. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Colin Donnell Returning to ‘Chicago Med’ to Film Connor’s Exit
By Emily Longeretta  July 8, 2019
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/colin-donnell-returning-to-chicago-med-to-film-connors-exit/

Connor will get his goodbye. Colin Donnell will return to Chicago Med for the season 5 premiere, Us Weekly can confirm. Donnell, 36, will only return for the one episode, in order to film his character’s exit.
Chicago Med will return to NBC on Wednesday, September 25, at 8 p.m. ET.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

REBORNING
By Tania Fisher   July 9, 2019
https://www.theaterpizzazz.com/reborning/ 

[Emily Bett] Rickards, [Paul] Piaskowski, and [Lori] Triolo are all equally outstanding, giving natural and comfortable performances with ease. There was only a slight lack of energy here and there in the delivery in some areas which unfortunately let some lines fall flat, but given the actors’ obvious talents and skills, I feel confident that the energy will pick up.

Rickards, as the doll maker Kelly, conveys a likeable earthiness, and a relatable characterization, even though her character’s circumstances are incredibly uncommon. She handles her high end dramatic moments with professional tact.
Reborning is a very well written and excellently executed play that does not allow itself to become bogged down in its big themes, but is entertaining, even at times outright funny, and leaves you feeling very satisfied.

76DSC_0793-768x513.jpg

73DSC_07591-768x510.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Reborning – Coping with Trauma
Alix Cohen  July 10, 2019
https://www.womanaroundtown.com/sections/playing-around/reborning-coping-with-trauma/ 

Kelly (Emily Bett Rickards) is the proprietor of Little Angels Nursery. The thirty-something artist makes lifelike baby dolls based on photos of real children. One recent commission is intended to remind an adult who he was on the occasion of a birthday, others go into collections, some are meant to console for actual loss.
The contrast between what seems a sympathetic profession and its often drunk, stoned, punk-looking purveyor is startling. Even with a rather unique handicap, however, Kelly is meticulous about her craft. She shares her home/work space and, intriguingly, related skills, with boyfriend Daizy (Paul Piaskowski) who creates detailed silicone models of men’s penises.
Despite the director’s note, a few lighter moments, and the rubber penis, this is not a comedy. Zayd Dohrn has written about trauma and healing with insight and skill. Setting the piece in circumstances as original (if partly less plausible) as they are contemporary makes the play both more interesting and less pompous. Trajectory is sure but not predictable. A single moment of was-it-or-wasn’t-it fantasy works wonderfully.

Emily Bett Rickards’s Kelly is the axis around which the piece turns. In turn, it’s the actress’s solid core which keeps her credible without revealing secrets before their time. There’s perversity in the heroine’s patience, fever in her precision, vulnerability in anger, truth in isolation. Spinning out is palpable.
Even with Kelly’s bizarre, stretch-of-the-imagination, physical disadvantage,  the play is effective and intriguing.

couple-520x347.jpg

later-women-520x348.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Another great review of EBR's acting performance in Reborning (officially opens tonight)...

Reborning
by Ken Kaissar on 7.11.19
http://www.theasy.com/Reviews/2019/R/reborning.php 

BOTTOM LINE: A creepy and compelling three-character play about loss and trauma.

An unresolved past is reawakened by a coping mechanism for dealing with loss in this quirky play by Zayd Dohrn. First produced in 2009 at the Summer Play Festival, this simple little three-hander originally featured Ally Sheedy, Katherine Waterston, and Greg Keller. This production, co-produced by Vancouver’s Reality Curve Theatre and the SoHo Playhouse, stars Emily Bett Rickards (otherwise known for her role on The CW’s Arrow), Paul Piaskowski (Reality Curve’s founder and artistic director), and Lori Triolo, who also directs the production.
Arrow fans will particularly enjoy seeing Rickards onstage. Her performance is incredibly captivating—she’s skillful at holding her cards close to her chest, forcing you to lean forward to learn what she's really about. Rickards has tremendous chemistry with Paul Piaskowski, who plays Kelly's boyfriend Daizy. Piaskowski does an excellent job endowing his girlfriend with love and concern, which only makes us care for her more. Directing the piece does not take anything away from Lori Triolo’s performance as the demanding client. Triolo knows how to be equal parts annoying and deserving of sympathy, which is not an easy balance to strike.
Be that as it may, the show is intriguing enough, and Dohrn’s script still feels fresh ten years later. If you like Arrow, you’ll particularly enjoy Rickards' performance, and if you’ve never seen it, you’ll be intrigued by a new actor who I’m sure you’ll want to see more of in the future.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Our girl is in the NY Times! 

Review: A Meticulous Artist, Numb to the Touch, in ‘Reborning’

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/theater/reborning-review.html

More interesting is the fear that dogs Kelly, who becomes obsessed with perfecting the Eva doll even as Daizy tries to cajole her into having an actual baby with him. Sleepless and tormented, Kelly unravels, and Ms. Rickards smartly dares to go almost feral — harsh, bitter and terrified of parenthood.

• Love 6
(edited)
REBORNING
Charles Wright   July 10, 2019
https://www.offoffonline.com/offoffonline/2019/7/10/reborning 

Reality Curve Theatre of Vancouver is making its first visit to New York City with Zayd Dohrn’s early play Reborning. Ten years ago, when Dohrn was unknown, this unsettling, if far-fetched, comedy-drama was part of the Summer Play Festival at the Public Theatre. Since that time, the playwright, who heads the graduate dramatic-writing program at Northwestern University, has penned a number of provocative yet non-preachy scripts that explore social issues through clashes—always fierce, sometimes violent—among recognizable characters. 
Kelly (Emily Bett Rickards), the principal figure in Reborning, is a sculptor and near-recluse. Not long after graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), she began lending a hand in her boyfriend’s business. The boyfriend, Daizy (Paul Piaskowski), is a RISD dropout who sells custom-fabricated dildos via the Internet. Having mastered the knack of creating realistic model penises, Kelly abandoned art for artisanship. Now she supports herself by making hyper-realistic baby dolls to clients’ precise specifications. 
... The three actors in this production are adept at both the serious and outlandish aspects of Dohrn’s script. Rickards (a star of the television series Arrow) and Piaskowski (also credited as a producer of the play) have comedic chemistry that’s effective ballast against the script’s emotional horrors. 
The physical production of Reborning is modest but adequate. Peter Triolo’s scenic design and Jo-Marie Triolo’s art design forgo the sophisticated video features and realistically detailed dolls described in Dohrn’s script. The sound design by Matthias Falvai contributes mightily to the uneasy atmosphere of Dohrn’s story; and the raucous between-scenes music (by the band Bunny Punch, supervised by Heather Smith) keeps the audience’s nerves a-jangle while stagehands rush around in the dark.

Edited by tv echo

Glad the play and ERB are getting good reviews and she seems to be having a lot of fun. It actually seems like something I might enjoy if it gets filmed or comes to the UK. 

Noting that KM and Anna Hopkins were both at a Shadowhunters con in Italy this weekend makes me remember what a good actress AH actually is, she was great as Berlin in Defiance. Whilst Samantha as always going to be a badly written plot device and behave in a way no human would, AH could have acted the pants of an actual proper storyline about it, or better yet in a different role. She joins a long time of actors the show absolutely squandered.  

• Love 2
(edited)

This is a huge break for Austin Butler (I hope that EBR gets a similar big break)...

Former Arrow Star Austin Butler Cast in Baz Luhrmann's Elvis Biopic
By RUSS BURLINGAME - July 16, 2019 
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/07/16/former-arrow-star-austin-butler-cast-in-baz-luhrmanns-elvis-biop 

Austin Butler, who fans may remember from his brief stint as Thea Queen's duplicitous love interest on Arrow, has been cast in the role of Elvis Presley in the forthcoming biopic from Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Baz Luhrmann. Butler, who had previously appeared in Kevin Smith's Yoga Hosers, played Chase, an assassin whose goal was to ingratiate himself into Thea's life so that he could spy on (also possibly kill) her and her biological father Malcolm Merlyn, in the show's third season. He appeared in a handful of episodes, but died by his own hand after he was shot by Merlyn.

Butler had previous CW cred as a character on The Carrie Diaries before heading to Arrow. In the years since he left that show, he has appeard in The Shannara Chronicles, The Dead Don't Die, and Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood. The Elvis role is undoubtedly his biggest break yet, although Butler is already pretty well known in the entertainment press, as he has been dating Vanessa Hudgens. Despite his relative youth, he has been working in Hollywood since 2006, when he appeared in a couple of episodes of Hannah Montana.

“I knew I couldn’t make this film if the casting wasn’t absolutely right, and we searched thoroughly for an actor with the ability to evoke the singular natural movement and vocal qualities of this peerless star, but also the inner vulnerability of the artist,” Luhrmann said in a statement (via Variety). “Throughout the casting process, it was an honor for me to encounter such a vast array of talent. I had heard about Austin Butler from his stand-out role opposite Denzel Washington in ‘The Iceman Cometh’ on Broadway, and through a journey of extensive screen testing and music and performance workshops, I knew unequivocally that I had found someone who could embody the spirit of one of the world’s most iconic musical figures.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Now I want to see EBR and CD do a comedy together...

Colin Donnell previews his new film Sell By
by Brittany Frederick  July 16, 2019
https://onechicagocenter.com/2019/07/16/sell-by-colin-donnell-interview/

If you’re missing Colin Donnell already, you don’t have to—he’s got a new movie that’s screening later this month! Colin is one of the stars of Sell By, a new romantic comedy, and took time out to give One Chicago Center the details on his latest project.
Learn more in our interview with Colin Donnell below, and be sure to check out Sell By at OutFest on July 20 and 21! For more details on that and other screenings near you, visit the film’s website.

One Chicago Center: How did you get involved with Sell By originally? Was this a new project for you, or one that had been in the works?
Colin Donnell:
We actually shot it last summer, in between the third and fourth season of Med. I’ve been friends with [writer/director] Mike Doyle for quite some time, and he’d told me about a film he was writing.

When he finished writing and was thinking about putting together the cast for the show, he eventually approached me about coming on and doing one of the roles in the film.
OCC: After spending every day for months playing Connor Rhodes on Chicago Med, what’s it like to transition to playing a different character like Henry in Sell By?
CD:
You do something for so long, and you start to crave different outlets and ways to stretch in a different direction. Playing Henry was so exciting because I got to do some real comedy. It’s a lovely film about a group of friends who are all in different stages of their relationships, and it’s not only poignant and lovely and touching, but it’s also really funny.
OCC: How was the experience doing something smaller, and less intense, than a network TV drama?
CD:
It was almost apples and oranges. I had a blast, because I was coming in and working with one of my dear friends, and being able to get on set with some people that I had been a fan of for a while. It was just something really cool and in between seasons of Med, so there was something really free and wonderful about getting to just do something different.
OCC: What are the highlights of Sell By for you? What stands out about the movie?
CD:
One of the coolest things was that it really is just a beautiful script about couples at various points in their relationships. It centers around Adam and Marklin, played by Scott [Evans] and Augustus [Prew] and their group of friends that extends from that. I got the privilege of being opposite Michelle Buteau, who is just a comedy machine and such a wonderful actor. You have Kate Walsh, Scott and Augustus, Zoe [Chao] and Christopher Gray and Michelle—we just had this murderers’ row of wonderful actors and wonderful comedians.
OCC: Most of your work has been in TV. How is the acting process different with a film like Sell By, where you only have a limited time with the character?
CD:
Especially independent filmmaking, there’s something sort of like being shot out of a cannon with it. But hopefully you’ve got a great script, which we did. And hopefully you’ve got a great director, which we did. And there’s a part of it that almost feels as though you’re putting on a play, because you’re dissecting and diving into these scenes and these characters very quickly. There’s something wonderful about doing it this way.

There’s something really cool about shooting a season of a television show, or shooting four seasons of a television show [too], but hopefully it all leads to creating a great story with great fleshed-out characters.

OCC: Is there something you’re hoping that fans leave Sell By with? Something you want them to take away from the movie?
CD:
I’m really proud of it and I know that Mike and everybody who’s been involved with the film has been really, really proud. We’re very happy it’s getting to be seen at these different festivals and I know that the audience responses have been great. I’m really stoked that it’s having some legs and really getting out there to be seen by people.

I think what’s wonderful about it is that at its heart, it’s just a movie about relationships and they’re all so relatable. It’s wonderful to see representation on-screen, but it’s ultimately just a relatable movie about relationships and friendships that happens to be centered around a relationship between two men, and happens to be written and directed by a man who is gay himself.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Theatre in Review: Reborning (Reality Curve Theatre/SoHo Playhouse)
David Barbour   July 15, 2019
http://www.lightingandsoundamerica.com/news/story.asp?ID=RTFOCP 

All three cast members bring more conviction than you might expect to these emotional exertions. Emily Bett Rickards captures both Kelly's hard-boiled exterior and the rather more uncertain person within. Even when Daizy is obviously living in denial, Paul Piaskowski brings to the character an attractively offhand manner and wry sense of humor. (When Kelly insists that she is "nuts," he replies, "But lots of people are. Believe me. I come from a very normal family, and they're worse.") Emily is, in many ways, the trickiest character, her intrusion into Kelly's life is not very believable, but Lori Triolo goes a long way toward suggesting the mid-life regrets that drive her insistence on attaining the most detailed copy of her long-gone Eva. Triolo, who also directed, can't do much with some of the script's cornier bits, like when the strait-laced Emily, left alone, furtively picks up Kelly's joint and takes a toke, screaming when caught unawares by the penis-toting Daizy. She has also signed off on a production design -- scenery by Peter Triolo, art design by Jo-Marie Triolo, and lighting by Aaron Porter -- that is pretty basic. (No costume designer is credited.) Matthias Falvai's sound design, which underscores scenes with music -- including, most maddeningly, Brahms' Lullaby -- is sometimes actively grating.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

That sucks about Soho Playhouse. I dropped in here to say I actually got a chance to watch Reborning during the weekend and thought Emily was fantastic. The play was described as a dark comedy but it was more dark than funny. Emily was funny but not Felicity funny. It was different and edgier, it was impressive really. Also, I never quite realized this, but she's tiny. She had great chemistry with Paul. I almost want to see them in a regular rom-com. Anyway, kinda bummed that the production is probably gonna shutter because of the fire. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Remember Ben Browder's two guest spots on Arrow (playing Ted Gaynor on 111-Trust But Verify and 215-Suicide Squad)? Here's video from his "Farscape 20th Anniversary"  panel at SDCC on Jul. 18...

(Setsuled)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1