Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Hot Paul! Another actor that "Arrow" kinda failed. I wonder what really was the plan for him. Was he supposed to be Laurel's love interest? Anyway, I like him in OB and I LOOOOOOOVE Amy Acker (Fred!) so I think I'll check that out.

AKA "Big Dick Paul."  That one always makes me laugh.  Dylan Bruce is not the best actor, but he sure is pretty to look at.  I was sad that his role was reduced in OB season 2. 

• Love 2

AKA "Big Dick Paul."  That one always makes me laugh.  Dylan Bruce is not the best actor, but he sure is pretty to look at.  I was sad that his role was reduced in OB season 2. 

Me too. People rag on Paul all the time, perhaps justifiably, but I miss his hot love scenes with Sarah. I'm shallow. Sue me.

• Love 4

Me too. People rag on Paul all the time, perhaps justifiably, but I miss his hot love scenes with Sarah. I'm shallow. Sue me.

I miss those, too, and that creepy scene with Rachel did not make up for the lack of Sarah/Paul in S2. 

• Love 3

Ugh, that Rachel/Paul scene was awful and creepy and kinda rapey and I just hated it. And I miss Sarah and Paul too. I think the writers just changed their minds about what they wanted to do with Paul between S1 and S2, and so his characterization totally changed. But, as I said once in the OB threads here--there was nuzzling! I'm not getting over the nuzzling that easily.

Anyway, Arrow did completely waste Dylan Bruce and his hotness, but I don't think they ever had any big plans for that character.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1

Paul was terrible. The one thing that Orphan Black didn't do well was write worthwhile love interests for Sarah. Vic was there for comedy, Cal was bland in plaid, and Paul? Well, that dude just cannot act to save his life, I don't care how good he looked without a shirt on. Minimising his role in the second season was a very smart move.

MB will play the druid Allanon...

'Arrow' Alum Manu Bennett to Co-Star in MTV's 'Shannara' (Exclusive)

12:36 PM PST 12/17/2014 by Aaron Couch

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-alum-manu-bennett-star-758852?mobile_redirect=false

Austin Butler, who plays Thea's creepy DJ, has been cast as the male lead.

So, in the Spoilers thread, it was mentioned that SA was in a short film where he had some chick up against a wall. 

I liked Brandon Routh's film that Stephen Amell's creeped me out.  For the first half, I thought I was watching a marriage fall apart, and then she started sleepwalking and they both did weird things, and I kept thinking if he loves her so much, why doesn't he get her medical help?  I was surprised that it won a number of awards.

I liked Brandon Routh's film that Stephen Amell's creeped me out.  For the first half, I thought I was watching a marriage fall apart, and then she started sleepwalking and they both did weird things, and I kept thinking if he loves her so much, why doesn't he get her medical help?  I was surprised that it won a number of awards.

I never actually watched the whole thing, just the wall part because reasons. And now I guess I never will, haha.

• Love 1

Well for awhile there was a trend in how Stephen was cast in other roles. He often was cast as the pretty man candy or the jock...for very obvious reasons, of course. I'm sure a paycheck is better than nothing when you're an actor in Hollywood, but I can only imagine how grateful he was when the Arrow role came along. Yeah, he still has to take his shirt off a lot, but you can't say he's not been allowed to stretch his dramatic legs on this show.

• Love 2

Wait, I didn't even realize they were doing a Shannara series.  Interesting...  Not sure how to react with that casting.  Manu Bennett almost makes it must-see.  But Austin Butler is Wil?  I can only hope that his stint as Douchebag DJ on this show was him at his worst, and he's usually better then that.  I really don't want to watch that series, and want to smack the lead the entire time he's on screen.

• Love 1

I loved Austin Butler on The Carrie Diaries. He had a real sweetness, something very genuine about him. Now, obviously he's only had about three minutes on Arrow, but yeah, those minutes were excruciating. I don't know anything about Shannara, but with more time for the writers to develop a good character and for him to understand that character, I would assume he'd have more success than on Arrow.

Edited by Carrie Ann

I have to ask (since our minds are in the gutter today :)  I know that SA was on Hung and he played a prostitute.  Did he sleep with women or men (or both)?  Also, he has talked about filming the show and mentioned that he didn't wear one of those modesty pouches because it was embarrassing (more embarrassing than walking around naked!!??  Probably not when you look like SA).  Did this show have full frontal nudity for the guys?  Just curious.  You don't see that too often on most shows.  I tried to watch an episode once, but it was boring so I never gave it a second chance (not saying I'm going to give it a second chance if SA is naked...just asking).

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I vaguely remember a Q&A with SA - possibly a con appearance? - where he talked about Hung. I think he said that the idea was his character did women & men which is why he (the character) was more sucessful than the main character and that there were plans to explore this - and then the show was cancelled.

I vaguely remember a Q&A with SA - possibly a con appearance? - where he talked about Hung. I think he said that the idea was his character did women & men which is why he (the character) was more sucessful than the main character and that there were plans to explore this - and then the show was cancelled.

Yeah, he said they would've explored him sleeping with guys if the show hadn't gotten canceled. I enjoyed him so much on Hung - he was such a lovable dumbass. 

Dear @SonofaBiscuit,

(i) SA's character only slept with women (as SmallScreenDiva points out). I watched an interview with SA where he said that the EP's had plans for SA's character to serve men in a future season, but then the show got cancelled (as apinknightmare says). ETA: Sorry, I posted my response before reading these other comments!

(ii) In fact, SA did wear a pouch while filming the sex scenes. (see his post from Oct 26/ Aug 2, 2011 on his previous blog http://preludetoabigbreak.com/ BTW This blog is highly recommended reading. SA's writing is excellent!!!)

(iii) If you are interested in full frontal nudity of a male member of the Arrow cast, then I would refer you to this entry about Manu Bennett http://auscaps.me/2014/03/27/andy-whitfield-and-manu-bennet-nude-in-spartacus-1-05-shadow-games/, in particular I would point out this pic http://auscaps.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/vlcsnap-2014-03-26-14h13m17s7.png. (For reasons of decency, I only post the links and not the entire pics ;-)

OMG, I hope they won't ban me from this forum?!

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 7

Currently watching Leverage for the first time on Netflix, and I had the pleasant surprise of seeing Paul Blackthorne pop in, for the final two episodes of season two.  He played an Armenian guns-dealer, who was working with a corrupt mayor (played by Richard Kind), that Nate and the team were trying to take down.  Not a flashy role or anything, but Paul was menacing enough in it.  Fun show though.  I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other actors pop up here, assuming they would actually be used well.

It was at Nerd HQ, Zach Levi's Comic Con adjunct, which raises money for charity. He gets people he knows who have a spare hour at Comic Con, and gets them to do Q&A sessions with fans. And they're nearly always a lot of fun, and far more carefree and unguarded than Comic Con panels. They're all on youtube, and really worth a watch. 

Anyway, Stephen Amell did it this past year, and was definitely worth whatever those people paid to see him. He was asked that question by a Hung fan, and confirmed that it was something that was definitely in the minds of the writers of that show.

But if you like Nathan Fillion and other Whedonites, they get involved every year, Yvonne Strahovski usually turns up, as do the Supernatural and Orphan Black people. Evangeline Lily did a panel each of the last two years, the Maze Runner cast did too. Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman did one, and then gatecrashed Richard Madden's panel, much to the excitement of fans. Tom Hiddleston did one a couple of years ago. I can't recommend them highly enough to genre fans. And it seems like the actors themselves have a real blast doing them.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

I'll echo Danny Franks on Nerd HQ interviews--I find they're way more enjoyable and funny than any of the official panels at SDCC. A big reason for that is that the panels are intimate and the questions are entirely driven by the most die-hard of fans rather than moderators. In fact, Zac is pretty adamant about not meddling with the conversation, but still managing to keep the questions flowing. Stephen's panel was great, but there have been so many fabulous ones through the years which are all available on Nerd HQ's YouTube channel.

• Love 1

Turns out Arrow isn't the first time Blackthorne and Alex Kingston have acted along side each other. Paul was a guest star on ER's 10th season! As a love interest to Elizabeth Corday (Alex character)

I was browsing through Quentin Lance videos on youtube (instead of doing my homework) and came across a few videos.

I probably would have known about this if I had regularly watched ER after season 9 (but alas life came in the way and broadcasting rights).

Edited by foreverevolving

They had some pretty smoking chemistry at times on ER even though Blackthorne's character was a real douche, and I was hoping for some good stuff when they cast Alex Kingston as Dinah.  Another reason it was so disappointing what Arrow did to her.

• Love 1

As someone who cannot stand Alex Kingston, I have to say the worst thing Arrow did to her was hire her. But after enduring years of her awful, shrewish, strident, bitchy Elizabeth Corday, I can't think of anyone better suited to be Laurel Lance's mother.

That's where I know Paul Blackthorne from as well. :) I didn't see the show when it aired, but I watched it on Netflix a year or so ago and I was sad it didn't last longer.

ETA: Well now that I think about it, it would have had to have been earlier than that, because I watched it pre-Arrow. Anyway.

Edited by Starfish35

Paul Blackthrone was also a vampire on the short lived show "The Gates" with Colton Haynes and Janina Gavankar (McKenna). Haynes played a Werewolf and Janina played a mystery creature that we never got to find out exactly what she was. That show also had the real life badass Katheryn Winnick who is now playing the awesome Lagertha on Vikings. 

It's funny how an actor can be good on one show and not another, depending on whether the role is right for them or not.  Katheryn Winnick, who is very good on Vikings, was pretty bad awful on the House episode One Day, One Room.

I think 

As someone who cannot stand Alex Kingston, I have to say the worst thing Arrow did to her was hire her. But after enduring years of her awful, shrewish, strident, bitchy Elizabeth Corday, I can't think of anyone better suited to be Laurel Lance's mother.

LOL.  

I didn't think she was so bad in the first season she was on when she was playing opposite Eric La Salle.  But then he wanted his character to be in a relationship with an African-American woman (leading to the awful Cleo-bot) and when the actor playing Mark wanted his character to be married again before he left the show, the only unattached heterosexual woman left was Elizabeth.  Not only did they have anti-chemistry, as bad as SA and KC, but AK got pregnant in real life which they wrote into the show and in the relationship turned her into a shrew and him into a louse.  I still want to knock their heads together.

• Love 1

the Marc/Elizabeth pairing didn't happened because Anthony was leaving the show and he wanted it to be, it happned becuse he and AK had real chemistry - which as usual differ in opinion among viewers, personally i loved seeing them together.. until the TPTB managed to butcher that relationship with stupid plotlines- anyhow.. AE left ER at the end of the 8th season, M/E pairing started in late season 5, although when looking back you can see small signs of changes in their friendship throughout the season.

And I will forever not be able to understand people calling Elizabeth a shrew, occasionally bitchy when she became fed up with being pushed around but not a shrew, not quite sure what you mean by Marc being a "louse".

• Love 1

Mark Greene was a guy you really didn't want to be married to. When the show started, he was chief resident, part of an arrangement with his wife that they would alternate working and taking care of their daughter Rachel.*  At the end of the year, when it was his turn to stay home and hers to take an articling position, he decided that he wanted to stay working and expected her to refuse the job and stay home with Rachel. That was the start of their marriage breaking up. She got custody of Rachel and re-married a couple of seasons later.  Mark felt sad that Rachel was getting a stepfather she liked and showed up at their house one day with a puppy, only to find out that Stepdad had already got Rachel a dog and Mark sadly walked away. We were supposed to feel sorry for him but all I could think about was "Taking care of a puppy is halfway to having a child.  Who buys a kid a dog without first checking with her custodial parent that it's okay?"

Fast forward to Mark married to Elizabeth and Ella is born.  At that time, Elizabeth was Chief of Surgery and Mark was a standard ER doctor.  They made arrangements for caring for Ella and Mark broke them again and again. When he was supposed to go home so Elizabeth could go to County to work her shift, he deliberately offered to take on extra work so he could stay late.  When he was supposed to check on Ella overnight so Elizabeth could get some sleep, he slept through her crying and messy diapers and Elizabeth had to get up and clean her off and change the bed.  Elizabeth kept suggesting they get a second nanny but Mark didn't want his child raised by strangers. (Me: Then get off your ass and do some parenting.)

Meanwhile Rachel was fighting with her mother and Mark, wanting to be the good parent, said she could live with them without asking Elizabeth, who was still struggling with baby and work.  (Me:  How can you just bring another person into the house, especially a troubled adolescent, without asking the person you live with?)  Rachel needed a lot of parenting but Mark expected Elizabeth to do it while he played Rachel's her good buddy.  Then Ella found the drugs in Rachel's bag and almost died, and Elizabeth hit the end of her rope and wanted to send Rachel to a boarding school, which I didn't think was such a bad idea since Mark was doing such a crap job of parenting her, but he wouldn't and the marriage broke up.  

Elizabeth kept getting shriller and shriller and shouting louder and louder but I thought it was unfair to put the blame on her since, like many family situations, one person's reactions were the result of another's actions.  As you can see, I wasn't a fan of Mark as a family man, it was such a contrast to what a good mentor he was to the younger doctors at work.

* I know a couple who worked this arrangement.  They had three kids while she was in medical school and he was working on his PhD and they alternated year by year staying home and taking care of their kids.

I like to fanwank that Mark's brain tumor assisted in his crap decisions.  I actually rarely watched ER and when I did it was actually for the Mark and Elizabeth stuff.  Didn't they pretty much reconcile before he died? 

I remember the loathing that the TWoP recappers had for milquetoast, passive-aggressive Mark Greene, and while I think he did become pretty difficult to stomach after about season 5, he certainly wasn't helped by being linked to Elizabeth. I don't think it's harsh to call her shrewish either, because I recall a stretch of episodes (quite a long one), where she alternated between being a bitch to Mark, being unpleasant with her co-workers and being snippy with Romano (which was understandable). There was just nothing to like about her. And Alex Kingston was just so unpleasant to look at and listen to in those scenes, that I honestly just never want to watch her in anything. Mark was just lame, and a drip.

But E.R. tended to amplify the worst of each character's traits most of the time. Carter turning into a complete priss and holier-than-thou tool was particularly painful for me, because he was always my favourite character. And as I said, he always had those tendencies, but the later seasons just leaned on them way too much.

Most of the show's romantic relationships were pretty bad, now I come to think of it. Too much drama, and too much work dating. It was the mentor/mentee relationships that I really loved, and how you saw them grow into real friendships through the course of the show.

I kind of think most of the doctor shows have crappy relationships. Stephen was in a few episodes of Private Practice, playing a rebound love interest (I know! Amell a rebound? Uncanny!) for Violet. I only watched three episodes and he was a sweetheart, but probably something bad happened later (didn't want to see it).

I just can't watch doctor shows.

• Love 2

I only regularly watched the OC once Marissa Cooper died...and I love the Julie/Kaitlin Dynamic and how they grew together into a strong supportive team.

I also loved Willa's batshit crazy character on Gossip Girl and I thought they should have anchored a spin-off around her, rather that lame 80's thing they tried.

I wish Arrow would give her more than brainwashing Daddy and unwashed DJ douches.

• Love 1

Just a reminder that the Hallmark movie with Dylan Bruce and Amy Acker is on tomorrow (Saturday) night.  There was a cute one on last Saturday called Surprised by Love.  No Arrow stars in that one, but I liked it (but it did have Hilarie Burton in it, and she's a bit annoying). 

Has anyone mentioned yet that Janina Gavankar (McKenna) is playing a cop (a stretch, I know) on The Mysteries of Laura? I know Colin Donnell was on it a while back so it was funny to see the two of them together again…

I kind of think most of the doctor shows have crappy relationships. Stephen was in a few episodes of Private Practice, playing a rebound love interest (I know! Amell a rebound? Uncanny!) for Violet. I only watched three episodes and he was a sweetheart, but probably something bad happened later (didn't want to see it).

I just can't watch doctor shows.

I'd seen SA in The Vampire Diaries, New Girl and Hung but didn't find him particularly attractive until PP. He was so sexy and compassionate as "Hot Scott." He's mentioned several times that the plan was for him to be a long-term love interest for Amy Brenneman's character, but then he booked Arrow so they had to write him out.

• Love 2

Mark Greene was a guy you really didn't want to be married to. When the show started, he was chief resident, part of an arrangement with his wife that they would alternate working and taking care of their daughter Rachel.*  At the end of the year, when it was his turn to stay home and hers to take an articling position, he decided that he wanted to stay working and expected her to refuse the job and stay home with Rachel. That was the start of their marriage breaking up. She got custody of Rachel and re-married a couple of seasons later.  Mark felt sad that Rachel was getting a stepfather she liked and showed up at their house one day with a puppy, only to find out that Stepdad had already got Rachel a dog and Mark sadly walked away. We were supposed to feel sorry for him but all I could think about was "Taking care of a puppy is halfway to having a child.  Who buys a kid a dog without first checking with her custodial parent that it's okay?"

Fast forward to Mark married to Elizabeth and Ella is born.  At that time, Elizabeth was Chief of Surgery and Mark was a standard ER doctor.  They made arrangements for caring for Ella and Mark broke them again and again. When he was supposed to go home so Elizabeth could go to County to work her shift, he deliberately offered to take on extra work so he could stay late.  When he was supposed to check on Ella overnight so Elizabeth could get some sleep, he slept through her crying and messy diapers and Elizabeth had to get up and clean her off and change the bed.  Elizabeth kept suggesting they get a second nanny but Mark didn't want his child raised by strangers. (Me: Then get off your ass and do some parenting.)

Meanwhile Rachel was fighting with her mother and Mark, wanting to be the good parent, said she could live with them without asking Elizabeth, who was still struggling with baby and work.  (Me:  How can you just bring another person into the house, especially a troubled adolescent, without asking the person you live with?)  Rachel needed a lot of parenting but Mark expected Elizabeth to do it while he played Rachel's her good buddy.  Then Ella found the drugs in Rachel's bag and almost died, and Elizabeth hit the end of her rope and wanted to send Rachel to a boarding school, which I didn't think was such a bad idea since Mark was doing such a crap job of parenting her, but he wouldn't and the marriage broke up.  

Elizabeth kept getting shriller and shriller and shouting louder and louder but I thought it was unfair to put the blame on her since, like many family situations, one person's reactions were the result of another's actions.  As you can see, I wasn't a fan of Mark as a family man, it was such a contrast to what a good mentor he was to the younger doctors at work.

* I know a couple who worked this arrangement.  They had three kids while she was in medical school and he was working on his PhD and they alternated year by year staying home and taking care of their kids.

Wow we have completely different recollection of the show in terms of Marc. I don't remember any alternating in child care Pre divorce, If i remember correctly Jennifer had just finished Law school when the first season started, either later in the season or early in the second season she received a job offer in a different city (saint Louis i think?) which ended with them moving out of Chicago to a city that was located half way through both cities, with both commuting, i even remember Marc ended up crashing at Doug's apartment several times because of the long commute (but that could have been when they were still in SL or figuring it out). During season 2 because of a car accident she was in he found out she has been having an affair, which is what ended their marriage (although to be fair it was obvious from early on that their marriage was on the rocks). Marc returned to live in Chicago and they had joined custody - there a season 2 scene of them sitting at Doc Magos (sp) discussing the custody thing. I seem to remember Rachel not liking her step dad very much, which what caused her to fall through the cracks and become a wild child in later seasons. There's also been strong indications through out the show that Jennifer was a real bitch (Doug didn't seem too fond of her, but than she wasn't very fond of Doug either - although at the time for good reasons, I'm talking seasons 01 & 02).

To be honest Marc truly had some shitty luck, personality wise he was also a very passive push him around kind of guy. He had a tendency to attach himself to very strong minded hot-headed, impulsive Independent individuals (Jennifer, Elizabeth, Kerry, Doug) and be pushed by them. Occasionally we got to see him be more assertive but then some shit happened and he went back to his safety zone of passiveness.