Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Sci-Fi Movies 2018: Preview of Science Fiction Films Hitting Theaters 
BY REBECCA MURRAY ON DECEMBER 13, 2017
https://www.showbizjunkies.com/news/sci-fi-movies-2018-preview/

Code 8 starring Stephen Amell, Robbie Amell, Sung Kang, Aaron Abrams, and Greg Bryk

The Plot: Code 8 is set in a world where 4% of the population is born with varying supernatural abilities, but instead of being billionaires or superheroes, most “specials” face discrimination and live in poverty, often resorting to crime. In a world now carefully monitored by drones, guardians and the police, Connor Reed (Robbie Amell), a power-enabled young man, is struggling to pay for his ailing mother’s (Kari Matchett) health treatment.

Fighting to earn enough money as a day laborer, Connor is lured into a lucrative criminal world by Garrett (Stephen Amell) who works for Lincoln City’s reigning drug lord, Marcus Sutcliffe (Bryk). Garrett helps Connor sharpen his powers in order to execute a series of crimes on behalf of Sutcliffe, while a militarized police unit, led by Agent Park (Kang) and Agent Davis (Abrams), hunts them down.

Edited by tv echo

The 29th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival is scheduled for Jan. 4...

Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Post’ to Open Palm Springs Film Festival
By Dave McNary  DECEMBER 15, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/steven-spielberg-the-post-palm-springs-film-festival-1202642531/

The festival will screen 180 films from 77 countries, including four world premieres for “Beyond the Opposite Sex”; “Cover Versions,” starring Katie Cassidy, Drake Bell, Austin Swift, Jerry Trainor and Debby Ryan; “Nostalgia” with John Hamm, Catherine Keener, Ellen Burstyn, Bruce Dern, Amber Tamblyn, Nick Offerman and Patton Oswalt; and “On Borrowed Time,” a United Arab Emirates projected directed by Yasir Al Yasiri.

Edited by tv echo
22 hours ago, tv echo said:

The 29th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival is scheduled for Jan. 4...

Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Post’ to Open Palm Springs Film Festival
By Dave McNary  DECEMBER 15, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/steven-spielberg-the-post-palm-springs-film-festival-1202642531/

I saw this title quickly and thought KC was going to be in a Speilberg production.... and I was like WOW what an upgrade - didn't see that coming! Of course, then reality set itself right and I realized it was just some random movie with other ex-tv low-listers.

'Arrow's Michael Emerson Calls The Joker One of His Hardest Roles
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 2, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/03/arrows-michael-emerson-calls-the-joker-one-of-his-hardest-roles/

Emerson played The Joker in the two-part, animated feature film Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, based on the acclaimed comic book miniseries of the same name by Frank Miller, Klaus Janson and Lynn Varley -- and he was acutely aware of the baggage that a character like The Joker has with audiences.

"That baggage is heavy, particularly when you are daring to voice The Joker at this stage of the game," Emerson told ComicBook.com. "That character is a global icon and has been done successfully by a whole bunch of stars. That's daunting. You think, 'I should just take off these headphones and run because I'm not sure I can do it,' but I defer to the people in charge because everyone in the control booth has the same high standard for it. They know what they're up against."
"That was some of the harder work I've ever done, though, in the sound booth, doing that character," admitted Emerson. "They had very specific ideas for how certain lines would be read. There's a whole drill to what they call effort, which is making all the grunts and oofs of when you're beating beaten or running. All that sound stuff that's not words, all of that is real particular, and laughter or screaming, all of those things. They want that stuff full-tilt. They want it full-throttle. You come out of the booth a little wrung out."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Robbie Amell To Star in Greg Daniels’ Amazon Comedy Pilot ‘Upload’
by Nellie Andreeva •  January 3, 2018 6:14pm
http://deadline.com/2018/01/robbie-amell-star-upload-greg-daniels-amazon-comedy-pilot-1202235275/

The Flash alum Robbie Amell has been cast as the male lead in Upload, Amazon’s high-concept single-camera comedy pilot from The Office creator Greg Daniels.

Upload is set in the future where humans are able to “upload” themselves into their preferred choice of afterlife. When Nathan (Amell) meets his early death, he is greeted by Nora in his version of heaven. The series follows the two as Nathan grows accustomed to life away from his loved ones, and the alive Nora struggles to stay afloat working her job alongside Nathan in the afterlife.

Edited by tv echo

Not sure I understand the premise. He uploads his soul/mind into a living person on purpose? By accident? 

Anyway I don't even understand how Robbie Amell continues to get work, dude can't act (IMO).

Edited by Morrigan2575
stupid autocorrect
  • Love 4

The write-up doesn't make a whole lot of sense - people can "upload" themselves into their preferred afterlives - Nathan has Nora in his version, but has to get used to life away from his loved ones? Why aren't they there in his preferred afterlife? And why is a person who is still alive actively working in someone else's afterlife? You'd think it'd be some fake/clone/fantasized version of the person so they keep on living in their own world? Mess. 

Another media report contains slightly different details...

Robbie Amell to Star in The Office Creator’s Amazon Comedy Pilot
By Emily Donn  January 4, 2018
https://screenrant.com/robbie-amell-upload-amazon-pilot/

Upload is a single camera comedy pilot from Greg Daniels – the man behind one of the most successful single camera comedies of the last several years: the American version of The Office. It will be just one of many shows coming to Amazon in 2018. The concept almost sounds like an episode of Black Mirror rather than a sitcom. Set in the future, people aren’t really gone when they die, because they can upload themselves to their own personal choice of afterlife. Not only is heaven real in the universe of Upload, but people can chose their own version of it.

According to Deadline, Amell will play Nathan, the male lead in the series. Nathan is a young man who unfortunately dies and gets uploaded to his choice of afterlife, where he meets a woman named Natalie. As Nathan learns to cope with life after death and his separation from the people he loves, Natalie has her own struggles working alongside Nathan.

Edited by tv echo

Sounds like the Black Mirror episode "San Junipero" in that people that are old or bedridden can choose to upload their conscience into a virtual world in any decade and at any age they want they want for 5 hours at a time they are called visitors. Then when they die they can choose to be uploaded permanently and become residents.  

• Love 2

Rewatching Person of Interest, and I’d forgotten that Kirk Acevedo and Michael Emerson worked together in the show. KA played one of the numbers that ME had to help on his own for awhile because Reese was doing something else. 

BEST. DAY. EVER.: All of Your Childhood Favorites & Austin Swift Are Starring in a Movie Together
Jan 5, 2018 11:52 am  By Alex Riccardi
http://www.j-14.com/posts/cover-versions-movie-cast-debby-ryan-drake-bell-150631

Get ready Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Taylor Swift fans because some of your favorite Hollywood big shots are about to star in a movie together and while we don't know much about it, we can promise you that it will probably be incredibly epic. So, let's take a look at the standout cast. We've got Jessie star, Debby Ryan, the Drake and Josh staple, Drake Bell, T. Swift's brother, Austin Swift, iCarly star Jerry Trainor, Bucket & Skinner's Epic Adventures actress Ashley Argota and Katie Cassidy. Plus, a bunch of other faces that you will surely recognize. The movie is called, Cover Versions, and the first movie poster has just been released.
The plot reportedly follows the unreliable stories of four band members who try to accurately recount a night of shenanigans before they have to play at their first big show at a popular music festival. The film reportedly wrapped shooting at the end of 2016 and the cast was just spotted on the red carpet together at the 29th Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival for the world premiere of the movie. Not only that but Debby also took to social media to share some candid photos with her castmates before the event and we can't get over all of them together. It seriously is a dream come true for anyone who was or still is a fan of these famous faces.
There's no exact release date for the movie just yet, but we have a feeling it's going to be a huge success. It's a murder mystery that gives insight to the debauchery that goes on behind the scenes in the music world between bands and artists. It's almost a look inside the lives of people you see on stage during your favorite music festivals. Only this time, it's not the Kanye West's of the world that you're getting to watch. It's Nickelodeon and Disney Channel stars, so really, can life get any sweeter?

Edited by tv echo

I don't think this was posted here before - EBR first appears at around the 2:40 mark...

"How to Make Friends?" Episode 04 BONUS Paranormal Solutions Inc.
Published on May 12, 2016, by CocoMilkTV

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Slamdance 2018: Emily Bett Rickards Talks Funny Story & Arrow
By Danielle Solzman  On Jan 19, 2018
https://culturedvultures.com/slamdance-2018-emily-bett-rickards-talks-funny-story-arrow/

Actress Emily Bett Rickards took some time out of her schedule this week to speak with Cultured Vultures about her new film, Funny Story, premiering at the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival in addition to the hit CW series, Arrow.

No problem. You’re starring in a new film, Funny Story, which is having its world premiere on Sunday at the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival. What was it that drew you to the role of Kim in the script?
At first, I had read the script and I thought the script was really beautifully written than just a story about disappointing outcomes. I think there was kind of something that was so different from a role that I play 9 and a half months out of the year. This girl had so many issues and problems entrusted in her life that I think we can all relate to having. She does have some big ones that she really needs to figure out. I liked her even though she was so broken and I think that’s what drew me to her in the first place.

With working on a full season series like Arrow, how often do you have the time to consider taking on roles in other projects and what do you look for in those roles?
I don’t have that much time. We shot this in June. It was the only available time that I had that year. We ended up shooting it pretty quickly, which was super fun. I think what draws me to other characters is characters who have heart and also a contrast — someone different from a character I play on Arrow for nine and a half months out of the year is a specific one for me as well.

I thought you had one of the best performances that I have seen this year. If Funny Story had come out last year, it would have been in my top ten performances for acting leads.
Thank you!

You’re welcome! What did you bring to the character that wasn’t in the script?
We talked a lot about Kim before, sort of as an audition process. We sat down —Michael, Jana, and I— who both did wonderfully in creating this movie and I owe everything to them. We talked a lot sort of about what her background is (sirens play in the background). Pardon the sirens. I’m on a side street here. We sort of talked about how we can make her fall hard and still I think in the end, we felt really (inaudible).There’s this understanding I think that I have about Kim that Kim doesn’t have in herself. I think that  it’s always easier to look at it from the outside looking in. I think honestly what I could have brought to the character is sort of an understanding where she was at, even though she doesn’t know herself and still probably doesn’t.

What was it like to work with such a strong female ensemble?
I was really excited to work with such a beautiful female ensemble as Jana is such a wonder to work with. She’s so talented and so open and has such a clear, relaxed, and humbling view which she takes on the set of a scene. It was really quite beautiful.
Funny Story premieres on Sunday, January 21, as a BEYOND feature at the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival. Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8 PM ET on the CW.

Cinemand Films Launches Financing Division
TV News Desk Jan. 16, 2018  
https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Cinemand-Films-Launches-Financing-Division-20180116

Cinemand has officially announced the launch of a new division called CINEMAND FILMS, with plans to finance original narrative features from filmmakers in both the theatrical and digital space. Cinemand Films first project, FUNNY STORY, wrapped production last week. The film is a feature-length tragicomedy starring Emily Bett Rickards (Brooklyn), Matthew Glave (Argo, Bravo's "Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce"), and Jana Winternitz (The Thinning). The film, which features several lead LGBTQ characters and a predominately female cast, is set to have its world premiere at the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival.

FUNNY STORY follows former 90's TV heartthrob Walter Campbell (Glave) as he attempts to reconnect with his estranged daughter Nic (Winternitz) by inviting himself to crash her vacation in Big Sur. Things get complicated when he hooks up with his daughter's friend, Kim (Rickards) only to discover she has dark SECRETS of her own.

Directed by Michael Gallagher (The Thinning) and co-written by Gallagher & Steve Greene (Internet Famous), the film stars a combination of traditional and new media talent, with over 10 million followers across the casts social media channels. Rickards, best known for playing Felicity Smoak on the hit CW television series "Arrow," has over 3.6 million followers across her social media platforms. Michael Gallagher, Jana Winternitz, and Michael Wormser produced the film through their Cinemand Films label.
Cinemand is represented by United Talent Agency. Rickards is managed by Allan Grifka at Alchemy Entertainment, Glave is represented by Greene & Associates, Sanders Armstrong Caserta, and Felker Toczek. Gallagher and Greene are represented by United Talent Agency, Management 360 and Dave Feldman of Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman, LLP.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Interesting article (technically, GB isn't an actor, but I wasn't sure which thread to post this in)...

Inside the Thrilling, Chaotic Writers’ Room of Dawson’s Creek
by THEA GLASSMAN  JANUARY 19, 2018
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/dawsons-creek-20th-anniversary-writers-room

In the spring of 2000, Greg Berlanti—then working as the show-runner of Dawson’s Creek—was on a mission. “There hadn’t been a gay kiss that was romantic on primetime TV,” Berlanti explains. “There had been joke kisses, but there was never a romantic kiss between two characters, let alone two high-schoolers.” So Berlanti pushed his home network, the WB, to air an episode in which the teen drama’s only gay character, Jack, shared a kiss with another boy. He had to threaten to quit in order for the network to get fully on board with the idea—and even then, the WB was very specific about what the scene could and could not show.
Offscreen, Dawson also drew together a group of first-time television writers, who rallied to script the coming-of-age story while navigating their own share of backstage drama and creative growing pains. Those new voices would go on to become a generation of big-name screenwriters, directors, and producers—many of whom liken their time on Dawson’s Creek to a boot camp and a film school, all rolled into one.

“It was like being tossed into the deep end,” says Fattore (Gilmore Girls), one of the future industry stars who got her start on Dawson’s Creek—along with Berlanti (Arrow), Tom Kapinos (Californication), Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City), and Dana Baratta (Jessica Jones). We spoke with all of them about writing the teen drama, the show’s highs and lows, and—of course—Team Dawson vs. Team Pacey.
Meanwhile, the actors were also unhappy with their story lines—especially an arc that involved Jen and Pacey hooking up—and they went straight to the network to complain. After a production shutdown, Gansa was out. The network then tapped 28-year-old Berlanti, one of the few writers who stuck around after Williamson made his exit, to be Dawson’s new show-runner.
But just as the writers’ room had hit peak levels of desperation, Berlanti pitched a winning idea. Joey and Pacey would kiss for the first time—throwing a wrench into the Dawson-Pacey-Joey friendship, and creating endless fodder for future plots.

“Ultimately, it was kind of the fanboy in me that was like, well, what would I want to see?” Berlanti says. “I always loved the Camelot-esque story of two close friends and the love story that comes between them.”

It helped, notes Fattore, that Jackson and Holmes, who also dated off-screen, had natural chemistry. Plus, she adds, Van Der Beek and Jackson weren’t particularly getting along at the time, so the writers began to consciously avoid putting them in scenes together.
There were, of course, a few moments the writers would prefer to forget during their Dawson tenures. Berlanti regrets an episode that involved Joey wearing a wire to implicate her drug-dealing father. Kapinos isn’t too proud of Pacey’s random turn as a stockbroker. He’s also haunted by his decision to kill off Dawson’s father while he was eating an ice cream cone: “That was just an utter disaster, and I think it’s joked about to this day,” he says. (He’s right.)
Dawson’s Creek ended up having two finales. The first was written by Kapinos and Fattore, and showed Dawson and Pacey reconciling, Jen moving back to New York, and Joey finally traveling to Paris. It never occurred to the writers that they should pair Joey with either of her high-school sweethearts; in fact, they wanted to avoid that conclusion.

“It wasn’t a story that was important to me,” Fattore says. “She had these relationships with Pacey and Dawson, but what did she really want for herself? I don’t think that coming-of-age stories for women should be love stories.”
But viewers who wanted the trio’s love stories neatly wrapped up needn’t have worried. The network ended up asking Williamson to return and write his own version of the finale, which Williamson set five years in the future—wrapping up with Joey and Pacey living together, happily ever after.

“We kept talking about whether it should be Dawson and Joey or Pacey and Joey,” Stupin says. “I don’t think Kevin knew himself how it was going to end when he was writing the first half of that finale. His thoughts changed as he was writing it.”

Berlanti—who helped co-write the finale—still doesn’t really see the show as a will they-won’t they romance, for his part. ”The heart of the Dawson’s Creek for me was always Dawson and Joey, in Dawson’s room, watching a movie, talking about high school,” he says. “They were meant to be soul mates, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they were meant to be partners for life. There was something so satisfying about that.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Plus, she adds, Van Der Beek and Jackson weren’t particularly getting along at the time, so the writers began to consciously avoid putting them in scenes together.

So writers rooms do take note of that kind of thing.  

• Love 5

Emily Bett Rickards Arrives in Utah Ahead of 'Funny Story' Premiere at Slamdance
FRI, 19 JANUARY 2018 AT 6:28 PM 
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/01/19/emily-bett-rickards-arrives-in-utah-ahead-of-funny-story-premiere-at-slamdance/

Emily Bett Rickards arrives at the airport ahead of the weekend in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday (January 19).

The Arrow actress is in town for the premiere of her new film, Funny Story, which is premiering at Slamdance, which goes on during the same time as 2018 Sundance Film Festival.
Funny Story is a tragic comedy about a well-intentioned father who inadvertently wreaks havoc on the life of his estranged daughter.

emily-bett-rickards-utah-slamdance-arriv

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

Oh Dawson's Creek. The show just keeps on giving us BTS stuff! LOL

I never watched the show but I'm kind of horrified for the fans how much the ending was decided it seemed by a whim.  

Beware, there are spoilers in the review.

https://culturedvultures.com/slamdance-2018-funny-story-review/

An official selection of the 2018 Slamdance Film Festival, Funny Story features an astonishing performance from Arrow's Emily Bett Rickards.

Arrow’s Emily Bett Rickards delivers the performance of a lifetime in Funny Story. The film, directed by Michael Gallagher, premiered this weekend at the Slamdance Film Festival.

The other thing that’s important in Funny Story is its strong ensemble of female characters. There are very few men in this film. Matthew Glave is one of them but Emily Bett Rickards owns the screen nearly as much as he does. Being a series regular on a television series means that there’s not much time to take on other roles but Rickards takes her acting to the next level in the film.

Edited by Morrigan2575
6 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Good for EBR. I'm waffling on if the plot is something I'd want to watch,  but I might have to check it out if it continues to get good reviews just to support EBR.

I kind of am as well. 

Spoiler

If I'm piecing things together right, EBR's character has a one night stand with her fiance's father on the eve of their wedding. And said fiance doesn't accompany her to her estranged mother's funeral. 

Slamdance: the cast of Funny Story
Published on Jan 22, 2018, by Nightside Project

Cast members Matthew Glave, Emily Bett Rickards and Jana Winternitz talk about their Slamdance film premiere, Funny Story - which isn't so much funny haha as funny strange. Glave plays a man with a midlife crisis juggling his affair, an unexpected pregnancy and trying to reconnect with his adult daughter, all at the same time. Ethan just tries to keep up with the plot of this drama. Slamdance is an independent film festival that was founded by filmmakers who were rejected by Sundance. 20 years later, it's become a force to be reckoned with and a legend in its own right.

Slamdance: Funny Story's Michael Gallagher
Published on Jan 22, 2018, by Nightside Project

"It's a funny story" is almost never the start to a pleasant or happy tale. Director Michael Gallagher introduces his Slamdance film "Funny Story" by pointing out that usually, those words precede something pretty awful. Look for Ethan Millard's interview with cast members Matthew Glave, Emily Bett Rickards and Jana Winternitz as well. Slamdance is a film festival that runs at the same time as Sundance. It was established by filmmakers rejected by Sundance and has grown into a 20-year-running festival in its own right.

Edited by tv echo

INTERVIEW: FUNNY STORY’S EMILY BETT RICKARDS
Charles Trapunski  January 23, 2018
http://brieftake.com/interview-funny-story-emily-bett-rickards/

While many fans may know Vancouver’s Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak on Arrow (and The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow and a certain episode of Supergirl), Rickards is an extremely versatile actress and knocks it out of the park with the dark comedy (very dark, as in night dark) Funny Story, which debuted at Slamdance on Sunday at Park City and then screens again tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m. in the Beyond program. So either book yourself a ticket to Utah immediately, or look out for the film in the future because we see a completely different side of Rickards as Kim, a character experiencing a loss who runs into Matthew Glave’s Walter, an aging, womanizing Kevin Sorbo-type and then, well, it’s a Funny Story.
Brief Take: So Funny Story has a lot of unanswered questions.
Emily Bett Rickards
: There’s a lot of questions of whether or not these characters find their way, and I think people are looking for the answer and honestly, I don’t have one. *laughs*

BT: I mean, that’s life, right? Sometimes we don’t have the answers. 
EBR
: That’s all of life.

BT: But it is a great role, and I bet you had a great time making the film.
EBR
: Yeah, it was pretty fun. I mean, the character was quite disturbed and tangled and knotted up inside. I guess I wouldn’t use the word enjoyable. *laughs* I mean, I had fun, she’s quite gucky inside, she doesn’t know where she’s going.

BT: It gave you the chance to branch out a little, though?
EBR
: Exactly.

BT: This is a dark comedy, but a comedy nonetheless.
EBR
: Yeah, when we started playing it and realizing that it was funny, but not like “funny haha”, it was more like “hey, I have a story for you”, and you kind of think to yourself, “oh, what circumstances sort of made that happen?”. It’s one of those things in our lives, where we sort of think about it, and yet it’s not funny when we’re in it. A lot of missteps and no slipping on banana peels funny, but more kind of walking into the wrong door funny. It’s all about discovery for me, and all about story, and it’s like what kind of stories can we tell, and hopefully I get the opportunity to play more.

BT: How was your first Slamdance?
EBR
: It was great to see everyone again because at the end of the shoot, I went right back into shooting Arrow. That was really something and Park City is quite beautiful, but it’s *packed* with people. There’s a lot of people everywhere you go, which is to be expected but everyone’s there to experience new film and supporting independent film, which we can only hope can get greater in the future. It was super fun.
BT: I know you were hoping to run into your friends. Did you?
EBR
: I did! I ran into Janina Gavinkar [at Sundance for Blindspotting], she’s been on Arrow before, and I saw Tom Felton briefly [there for Ophelia], but I did run over and yell at him, “Yo!” *laughs*

BT: Quick shoot, too?
EBR
: Yeah, it was a 15 day shoot and I think I worked 13 of the 15. I had flown in on a Sunday from Paris and then I landed, dyed my hair, and went to shoot. *laughs* Really quick! All new scene partners, I’d never worked with anyone. I knew [director] Michael J. Gallagher and [actress and producer] Jana Winternitz but I had never worked with them. I met them briefly in the past about a year ago, but I had never worked with them. Yeah, I was really grateful they offered me this role and let me collaborate with them. It was good.  I’m very grateful.

BT: Were you excited to see your former Brooklyn co-star Saoirse Ronan nominated for Lady Bird this morning?  
EBR: I’m excited to see how it goes. She’s a phenomenal actress and I look up to her a lot. Brooklyn was a beautiful, beautiful film, wonderfully done, good story, and I’m proud of her.

BT: It’s all about chasing the story, finding good roles, and maybe getting to sing a little bit, too?
EBR
: It’s funny you mention that, I was just thinking about that today! I have a friend who’s coming out with a new album, we were chatting, hopefully do some vocal work and get the rustiness out of it. It’s a fun way to be able to express myself, and something I miss deeply, so…hopefully, yeah!

BT: You said you knew Hamilton very well, what’s your current musical obsession?
EBR
: I was listening to Miguel’s new album actually [War & Leisure] on the weekend and SZA, her album, Ctrl.

Edited by tv echo