Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

I loved me some Jack Harkness. It's kind of funny but I debate this with Torchwood and DW fans that say Jack was much lighter and more heroic in DW and I think well not really. Jack was conman and a kind of bad guy when we first meet him in DW. He sort of stayed that borderline not nice guy until they brought in him back the Utopia arc and gave him that awesome disturbing conversation with Ten about Jack being wrong and then in  Stolen Earth/Journey's End where is was the comic relief which bugged me. But IMO I thought JB always played him with underlying darkness that was just more prevalent in Torchwood. And I think that's why he's able to give Malcolm that batcrap crazy edge because he kind of played that in Jack to a lesser degree, especially in Children of Earth.

• Love 3

@catrox14 people who complain about Torchwood-Jack not being anything like DW-Jack fail, Imao, to stop and rationally think and understand that: For jack 130 some years have passed from the moment he was abandoned by the doctor up until the start of Torchwood. 130 years of dying hundreds of times, being tortured- multiply times at multiply years, falling in love (or at least loving/liking) multiply times only to watch those loved ones either die or shun him away for his "gift", or sometimes both!, experiencing the entire 20th century, being practically chained to Torchwood and doing their bidding because he couldn't get off planet. all the while living, in what is to him, ancient earth, with backward technology and values sets that are.. well ancient to a man coming from the 51st century where apparently "so many species so little time". Then! having to be responsible for Torchwood (first 3 and than the entire organization) be thrust upon him, to act as its leader when he had no desire to ever do so, and with the Doctor he was supposed to catch up with ("the century will turn twice..." stuff) right around the corner.

how can the man not be more serious, slightly bitter, hurt! and have a wounded soul. it is quite amazing he even made it 130 years without losing it!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

Yup. I agree with you, foreverevolving.

I have to say until I met Dean Winchester less than a year ago, Jack was my all time favorite character but Dean is in the lead by like a nose. I just think Jack was amazing. I always thought JB got short shrift for his acting for Jack because I think people just wanted the flirty, flighty Jack in DW but even there he was not so much.  I think my favorite Jack is The Doctor Dances Jack and Children of Earth Jack with s2 Torchwood Jack. 

Brandon Routh had a very small two-episode role on Enlisted.  If you are not a BR fan, don't let that discourage you because I though Enlisted was very funny.  Sadly, it was cancelled.   He's also going to be in some Hallmark Christmas movie this winter, The Nine Lives of Christmas.  

I love how Caity Lotz is handling the press about this - she's shown humor, grace and professionalism throughout.

At his NYCC panel, SA said that he had no doubt that she'd land another great job soon - he was very complimentary about her. I hope she does find another job (I know she's already on Mad Men but it's a small role, I think) very soon. 

CL's role on Mad Men is very small, she plays Don Draper's pregnant hippie niece. I don't know if she'll be showing up again in the last half of the final season. I was surprised to see her in the first half of this season.  

A kid asked if she would play Supergirl and she mentioned the Jessica Jones show from Netflix. I wonder if she's auditioning for those. 

• Love 1

I'll be a little surprised if she gets Supergirl - I'm thinking they'll go for a taller actress for that one. I like Caity, but she's rather petite for Supergirl. But I don't know much about Jessica Jones. I do hope she gets another great role soon though.

Edited by Starfish35

Dinah Lance a.k.a. Black Canary from DC comics was short! That would be a good role for-

I would be happy if CL played Elektra on Daredevil. Casting an actual badass would be a plus. Fingers-crossed for something superhero related for her.

• Love 3

I'll be a little surprised if she gets Supergirl - I'm thinking they'll go for a taller actress for that one. I like Caity, but she's rather petite for Supergirl. But I don't know much about Jessica Jones. I do hope she gets another great role soon though.

Agreed. As much as I try, I can't picture her as Supergirl. As far as Jessica Jones is concerned, I think she may be too young for the part. I don't know if or how they have retooled the show after the move to Netflix, but when it was developed for ABC, Jessica Jones was supposed to be a thirty-something former superhero who is now running her own detective agency.

Edited by strikera0

I can see her as Supergirl. The last version of the character I read wasn't physically imposing at all. She had the body of a fairly normal (for comics. So big boobs, tiny waist and long legs) teenage girl. I think Caity Lotz could definitely play her. Now Power Girl? Power Girl would be a different kettle of fish, while technically being the same person (comic books). Power Girl is built more like that ex-wrestler Celeste Bonin, or like Ronda Rousey. But the DC wiki has Supergirl listed at 5'5, which seems about right with the version of the character I know.

Still, I've already said I think Caity Lotz would be great as Jessica Jones, or any of Marvel's as-yet-uncast superheroines. I do think Carol Danvers would be the best fit, if she ever makes it to the screen. Sadly, my favourite comic book lady is never going to make it onto any screen anyway. Donna Troy can't even make it into the comic books any more.

• Love 1

Ok, I must have been thinking of Power Girl, because I was thinking Supergirl was at least 5'10". But if she's only 5'5", Caity wouldn't be too short. But isn't Carol Danvers also pretty tall? 5'11" or something like that?

Edited by Starfish35

I think CL could pull off Supergirl.

Power Girl? No.

I don't know much about Carol Danvers, will look her up.

Jessica Jones - if they went a shade younger, then yes, I think CL could pull it off. Tough on the outside, vulnerable & damaged on the inside? Heck ya!  Kick ass with brains? Definitely!

Is there a "Cast Caity Lotz as a Kick Ass Superhero NOW" petition that I can sign?

• Love 1

Yes, and I do not recommend that episode to anyone.  It was horrible, just horrible.  Do not watch if you have a fondness for pets, that's all I'll say.

I tried to watch but my signal kept fading in and out.  I guess maybe I should be glad it was. 

Well, to be fair, I was only half-way paying attention.  I like Caity, but some of her acting was iffy.  The stalker in this episode was bat-shit crazy (I suppose most are, though).  Spoiler alert regarding the fate of the pet in this episode (don't read if you like animals)

This lady killed her own dog and they showed it dead in the trunk of her car. Awful :(  I don't even like imagining bad things happening to animals, so when they do stuff like that, I'm out! 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I watched it just for Caity. She was the ex-husbands new blond with boobs which I found funny since Sara couldn't be any less of a bimbo. In general I get the feeling that Stalker is a crappy show but CL did well in her part, my problem was she wasn't Sara at all and I was only watching because I miss Sara. :(

The rest of the episode was forgettable, over hyped and incredibly hypocritical. Glad Caity got a paycheck, but I really hope the show doesn't get a second season.

• Love 1

For those in the UK with Sky or Virgin, the Christmas 24 channel (usually Movies 24) is showing Katrina Law's The Snow Bride on Saturday at 7pm.

I saw a bit of that movie a couple of months ago. For fluff, it's not bad.

According to the article not cast, but is "in talks" which probably really means: don't hold your breath. Also unless the movie is shooting during the hiatus he's probably not gonna be able to do it.

I'm curious as to which part he is being considered for. There's a character in there that's very similar to pre-Island Ollie. Unfortunately in the book, he remains very unrelatable and one-dimensional. I think SA could do a great job with a role like that and make him sympathetic. I'd really like to see him in a role that gives him a chance to do something a little more challenging and dramatic.

I'd like to see him in a movie with Susan Sarandon and Alison Janney.  

SA said at one of the cons that he had two projects lined up last summer but they both fell through.  At what point would THR do a piece on a movie in talks; when it's pretty much green-lighted and only the i's have to be dotted, or at the very early stages? 

Could be at any point, really. I've seen a ton of stories just like this on THR about other favorite actors "in talks" for a movie only to find out later that it doesn't ever happen. My knee-jerk reaction is always to never believe it will happen until the contract is signed and the actor or agent confirms it.

• Love 1

Could be at any point, really. I've seen a ton of stories just like this on THR about other favorite actors "in talks" for a movie only to find out later that it doesn't ever happen. My knee-jerk reaction is always to never believe it will happen until the contract is signed and the actor or agent confirms it.

Also alot of those stories are also publicity stunts or ways to get the actor noticed by the casting of said movie... an actor agent or pr person (or someone on the team) will start or the rumor. could be for multiply reasons as far as i can see it: 1) the actor is truly in talks with a different production and perhaps hearing that he is close to signing with a different production will get prod A to close the deal quicker; of course it could have the opposite affect. 2) to generate publicity for the movie using the names of either A listers or the latest "it" star (SS and AJ will be the A listers, SA is right now one of "it" male stars in the biz- at least TV wise). 3) publicity for the actor, if it sounds like he is attached to a high and profile movie with alot of A listers it may get the attention of other casting directors. for future roles.

and i'm sure there are other reasons. it could be that he really did audition and is now in talks with them, and that it will fall due to scheduling, or the movie will simply not get made. happens all the time! It happened on "Gravity" I think- if i remember correctly, that RDJ was supposed to play the role Clooney played but had to back out due to scheduling conflicts with the Sherlock Holmes movie(?)

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Colin Salmon is going to be back on season 3 of Some Girls, if anyone is interested. It airs on the 17th, and he plays Viva's dad.

If you've not seen the show, I highly recommend you do. It is absolutely hilarious, and it's the complete opposite of Arrow. It is about a group of teenage girls though, so that might not be your thing, but I'd still check it out because the past two seasons have been amazing. 

Just noticed that Brandon Routh's Hallmark movie, The Nine Lives of Christmas  is debuting tonight (right now actually, oops) on the Hallmark Channel.  But being Hallmark, it'll be on about 9,000 more times by Christmas if anybody wants to catch it. 

In addition to Katrina's movie mentioned above (which I can recommend, as Hallmark movies goes it's better than the average cheesefest they show), Summer Glau also has a movie in rotation (Hallmark is all Christmas movies now through Christmas), called Help for the Holidays.  Not my favorite by a long shot, but she does play an elf if anybody wants to see the complete opposite of Isabel.

Edited by JenMD

Katrina was great in "Snow Bride", one of the better Hallmark movies last year. So far, Brandon is doing well in the new Hallmark movie and it doesn't look so bad. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Christmas movies.

• Love 1

I'm a sucker for guaranteed happy endings. Even when the movies are riduculous I find there are times when I can just watch them back to back to back...as long as I also have ice cream and or chocolate. Cliche much...hell yes!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

But will Legends survive Sean Bean??

I was watching Enlisted this weekend and saw Brandon Routh shirtless.  Looking forward to seeing that on Arrow.  Yes, I'm shallow.

Perhaps Ray and Oliver could get into a love triangle with Sally. Abs flex as they both try to prove themselves to her.

• Love 1

Here's a trivia question: How many Arrow stars have been in Hallmark Channel movies?

1. Stephen Amell - "When Calls the Heart" (2013)

2. Katrina Law - "Snow Bride" (2013)

3. Brandon Routh - "The Nine Lives of Christmas" (2014)

4. Warren Christie (played Carter Bowen in Arrow Ep. 1x06) - "The Color of Rain" (2014) and "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" (2008)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I have brief periods of time when I'll happily sit through Hallmark movies. I may even enjoy some. 

Amell could have saved himself some time and used a cardboard cutout for his role in When Calls the Heart. He barely said anything. He was mostly there as eye candy. He did it well enough but at least on Arrow we get shirtless. I don't mind Maggie Grace either, but the movie was a snoozefest.

• Love 1