Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Thought I'd make this thread because I'm rewatching The Gates on Chiller which features Paul Blackthorne, Colton Haynes, and Janina Gavankar. It's not what I'd call "good" but I'm bored and it's on. PB's a vampire (and is kinda hot), CH is a werewolf, and JG has no heart - literally. It was canceled after one season on ABC.

Anyone seen our Arrow peeps in something that surprised them?

• Love 2

Anyone seen our Arrow peeps in something that surprised them?

One of my favorite random appearances in the past few years was seeing John Barrowman in Zero Dark Thirty.  It was almost just a cameo, but he was playing I think the assistant to the C.I.A. Director, played by the late, great James Gandolfini.  It got even crazier when Stephen Dillane from Game of Thrones showed up as the head of the NSA, and I was like "Man, America is being protected by Tony Soprano, Stannis Baratheon, AND Captain Jack Harkness?!  Badass!"

Caity Lotz had a small role in Mad Men, which is really a sight to see.  After being so use to her as Sara/The Canary, seeing her in the 1970s garb and time period, is pretty fun.

I still remember first seeing Colin Salmon in that cheesy Dinotopia miniseries, years ago.

The first thing I saw Katie Cassidy in was Harper's Island, and I swear on my life, I thought she was actually pretty damn good in it.  I don't know what the hell happened...

Before Diggle, David Ramsey was always Anton Briggs, Deb's pot-dealing boyfriend from Dexter, to me.

I still think the casting directors are on a quest to get everyone from Spartacus to play a recurring role on this show, since Manu Bennett, Katrina Law, and Cyntha- Addai-Robinson have all not just guest, but played pretty big characters.  I really want Lucy Lawless and John Hannah to show up.  Craig Parker too.

Before Diggle, David Ramsey was always Anton Briggs, Deb's pot-dealing boyfriend from Dexter, to me.

Wow, I didn't recognize him! Shows how much I remember Dexter post-s2. 

• Love 1

John Barrowman because of Doctor Who and David Ramsey in Blue Bloods. I didn't remember Caity Lotz in Mad Men until her character turned up a few episodes ago.

Colin Salmon is going to be in the last episode of Law & Order: UK.  I wish there was a channel over here that I could see it on.

It was strange to see him with an American accent on 24. 

It doesn't air on BBC America?  I used to watch L&O:UK on BBCA a few years back, it took forever to get used to seeing Lee Adama/Apollo with a British accent...although it wasn't even his real accent.  

I know John Barrowman obviously from Doctor Who. I didn't know he was in Arrow until I watched the show, and I got really excited when he turned up, seemingly out of the blue.

Colin Salmon has been in a bunch of stuff. I really liked him in Some Girls, but he was also in Doctor Who (like a few of the actors actually). For some reason, I can't watch a scene with him in Arrow without thinking 'And then you forgot.'

• Love 1

I liked the Gates, it wasn't groundbreaking or anything but it was fun and I really wanted to know what Janina Gavankar's characters deal was. I found Paul Blackthorne really hot as a vampire. Colton Hayes was about as good on there as he is on Arrow. 

Kevin Alejandro was on True Blood playing a witch. Janina Gavankar was also on True Blood playing a shapeshifter. 

John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood of course. I missed him on the 50th anniversary special. That guy is such an attention hog, he reminds me of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh and I love him for it.

Since I recently started watching Mad Men, Caity was on season 4 and showed up again this season playing a pregnant hippie. 

Katie Cassidy I only know from playing Ruby Supernatural, it was a minor role so that's probably why she was okay. She didn't have to do a lot of heavy lifting. 

Summer Glau from Firefly and The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Both shows I miss greatly and was disappointed when they were canceled. 

I watch too much tv or too much tv with same actors. :D

I started watching Kings for Sebastian Stan and Susanna Thompson plays his mom, the icy Queen. Very similar to Moira Queen. (And I just realized the connection.) She plays well off of Ian McShane.

I don't get BBC America, it's in a more expensive package.  Sometimes they play it on Showcase.  (That isn't Jamie Bamber's real accent??)

I don't know what accent he used on L&O:UK , but he does have an English accent. Never have I been more surprised and though normally I LOVE English accents above all else, I could never wrap my mind around his.

(edited)

Yup. Bamber is a  Brit by birth. I am still flummoxed by it to this day. LOL.

Oh man I LOVED Kings.  That show was ahead of it's time. I think if it came out now, it might stand a chance of surviving.

Colin Salmon playing an American military officer posted in London on 24 is amusing to me.  I have to say his accent his not that good. :(.

Edited by catrox14

I remember watching Willa Holland on the O.C. and Gossip Girl, but I stopped watching Gossip Girl long before Katie Cassidy was on it. I don't think Willa's character and Katie's character were ever on it at the same time though were they? Katie Cassidy also played "Samantha at 27" in the movie Click- and I vaguely remember liking her in that movie. I also didn't mind Katie Cassidy's acting in the movie Monte Carlo. 

Katie Cassidy's fantastic, she was the best thing about Melrose 2.0, I was quite fond of the show overall but her character Ella Sims is one of my favourite characters of all time.

I've seen Colin Salmon in several things.  He was Mark Valley's boss on Keen Eddie.  I saw him on Hex playing what was like a Headmaster of a school, I think.  That one also had Klaus from The Vampire Diaries and Michael Fassbender before he started making it big in Hollywood.  Salmon also played a trumpet player who was Jill Scott's ex on The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.  That is such a sweet and charming show, I would definitely recommend checking that out. 

I adore No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.  I totally forgot Salmon was in that. I also forgot Idris Elba was in it too, until I rewatched the first episode recently.  That was such a delightful show. I watched Hex on BBCA last summer I think for Fassbender and wound up really liking the lead actress with the dark hair. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Was watching Longmire tonight (the show Cassidy Freeman is on - Tess from Smallville) and guess who popped up?  Bex Taylor-Klaus.  She was a "resident"  in a high security reform school in the Boondocks of Arizona.   I guess we know where Sin ended up.   

Edited by BkWurm1

I loved Paul Blackthorne in "The Dresden Files." The series wasn't very good but there were some fun moments, plus Terrence Mann as a sassy ghost (well, spirit of intellect). Then he showed up in the blink-and-you-missed-it "Lipstick Jungle" with Brooke Shields. I think he played her husband. I could be totally wrong.

First saw Susanna Thompson on "Once & Again" and then in "Kings," which I loved and still mourn. I was very surprised to see her in "NCIS," romancing Gibbs.

I caught two Pierce Brosnan as Bond movies recently — "Tomorrow Never Dies" and "The World Is Not Enough" — and was delighted to see Colin Salmon. I shouldn't have been, he shows up everywhere.

Colin Donnell showed up on "Person of Interest" very recently.

JR Ramirez

(Ted Grant/Wildcat)

was promoted to series regular for season two of Starz's series Power. It looks like it's a summer show, so probably wouldn't interfere with Arrow.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/ryan-mcpartlin-joins-nbcs-bad-judge-jr-ramirez-in-starzs-power-820334/

I think they will start filming in New York City next month, so filming is definitely going to overlap. That's not good. Hopefully, the 2 productions can work something out.

Edited by strikera0

I think I mentioned in another post once that I saw Stephen Amell in a Hallmark Channel tv movie starring Maggie Grace (you can see him in brief scenes throughout this video)....

When Calls the Heart Movie - Maggie Grace

He looked and acted completely different.  Here's some still images of SA from this movie:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1192&bih=579&q=when+calls+the+heart+stephen+amell&oq=when+calls+the+heart+stephen+amell&gs_l=img.3..0.752.5291.0.5493.34.10.0.24.24.0.179.1060.5j4.9.0....0...1ac.1.51.img..1.33.1136.97Pqo6n7g20#hl=en&q=when+calls+the+heart+stephen+amell&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Edited by tv echo

The whole movie is up on youtube. I can't believe I watched the whole thing, although while cleaning off my desk.  Excuse me a minute while I brush the sugaryness off my teeth.

I can understand why Stephen Amell loves doing Arrow so much. He has more dialogue in 2 scenes of Arrow than he had in that entire movie in spite of his second billing.  Parts of it are frighteningly close to Arrow.  Maggie Grace's character (SA's love interest) is blonde and babbles. It's painful how much she's like Felicity in the opening scenes.  Later SA's character's sister-in-law says to her "He gave you the 'Mounties can never marry' speech, didn't he?   He believes it deeply, but if anyone can change his mind, it's you."

There's also another character  called Edward, an idler whose father made him go to the Mountie Academy to go on the straight and narrow.

(I laugh at the 'Mounties can't marry' line because it's just like Oliver's "Because of the life I lead" speech, and also because my mother-in-law was raised in the north because her father was a Mountie, and she knew Leslie Nielsen as a boy because his father was a Mountie at Fort Norman.)

I saw that movie. I think it played on Hallmark the last time I was home. My mom loves those movies. This one was kind if cute IIRC, but I didn't even recognize SA at first. I kept sitting there thinking "He looks familiar" lol. It wasn't a huge role at all, but it was very different from his role on Arrow. I guess that's always nice for actors.

BBC America is running a marathon of Doctor Who episodes this week (leading up to the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi, debuting the end of the week).  Last night, they aired reruns of three episodes from David Tennant's tenure as the Doctor in which John Barrowman played Captain Jack Harkness.  Even though this was only seven years ago, JB looked much younger then.  Even now, it's difficult to believe he's playing someone who could be the father of 28-year-old Tommy Merlyn.  Malcolm had to have married young.

Even now, it's difficult to believe he's playing someone who could be the father of 28-year-old Tommy Merlyn.  Malcolm had to have married young.

He did hang out for several years in Nambat Par.  Didn't Ra's have his own version of the fountain of youth?

It's the CW thing. Parents of teenagers on their shows are routinely played by actors in their 30s (which is possible, of course, but not that common, plus it looks kinda ridiculous when the teenagers are all in their mid-20s). IIRC, David Anders played Nina Dobrev's father on TVD, and he's like 10 years older than her. And Bonnie's grandmother was in her 40s or something.

Back on topic, I finally saw Bex Taylor-Klaus in The Killing and really loved her there. Too bad Sin didn't have much to do on Arrow.

• Love 1

EBR starred as Fourty in Season 2 of a Canadian TV series called Soldiers of the Apocalypse (S.O.T.A.) about a secret military force who fights to protect the world from its impending end. 

- Episode 2.1 Back to Square One (2013) ... Fourty
- Episode 2.2 Sink the EightBall (2013) ... Fourty
- Episode 2.3 ... Fourty
- Episode 2.4  A Soldier Defined (2013) ... Fourty
- Episode 2.5 Hitting Home (2013) ... Fourty
- Episode 2.6 ... Fourty
- Episode 2.7 Brother Down (2013) ... Fourty
- Episode 2.8 They Come Back to Haunt Us (2013) ... Fourty

I couldn't find any video of EBR in this role, but here are links to some images of her as Fourty:

http://blugyrrl.tumblr.com/post/86710649408/sarahsassafras13-aliyah-obrien-doubles-and
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/448319337878483766/
http://emilybettrickardsfan.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lasthits&cat=26&pid=2300#top_display_media

normal_001.jpg

EBR must've been filming Arrow at around the same time.  I wonder if she already had this blonde ponytail hairstyle for S.O.T.A. when she went in to audition for Arrow and, since her Felicity role was supposed to be a one-shot deal, they just stuck a pair of glasses on her - and now it's her iconic Felicity look.  

EBR playing a young soldier (and I really wish I could see video) reminds me of another Canadian actress, Jessica Steen, who many years ago played Jennifer Chase, code named Pilot, in that old children's TV series, Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.  Pilot was a very young soldier who wore her blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail.

Edited by tv echo

EBR has the supporting role of Patty McGuire in an upcoming new film, Brooklyn, slated for a 2015 release.  

Brooklyn is a film directed by John Crowley and with a script written by Nick Hornby, based on the novel of the same name by Colm Tóibín.  Currently in post-production, it's either an Irish romantic comedy or a historical romantic drama, depending on the source.  Plot: During the 1950s, a young Irish immigrant, Eilis Lacey (Saoirse Ronan), moves from a small town in Ireland to Brooklyn, New York, where she has the opportunity for work, for a future and for love, in the form of Italian-American Tony (Emory Cohen).  When a family tragedy brings her back to Ireland, she finds herself absorbed into her old community, with Jim (Domhnall Gleeson) courting her.  As she repeatedly postpones her return to America, Eilis finds herself confronting a choice between two men and two countries.  The cast also includes Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters.

I don't know how the role of Patty McGuire has been written for the movie, but here's her introduction in the book:

The other girls, on the floor above them, were younger than Miss McAdam, Eilis wrote in her letter, and had to be regularly corrected by both Mrs. Kehoe and Miss McAdam.  One of them, Patty McGuire, had been born in upstate New York, she told Eilis, and was now working as Eilis was in one of the large department stores in Brooklyn.  She was man-mad, Eilis noted.  Patty's best friend was in the basement; she was called Diana Montini, but her mother was Irish and she had red hair. Like Patty, she spoke with an American accent.
Diana complained constantly about the food that Mrs. Kehoe cooked, insisting that it was too Irish.  She and Patty dressed up, taking hours to do so, every Friday and Saturday night and went out to amusements or movies or dances, any place where there were men, as Miss McAdam sourly said. There was always trouble between Patty and Sheila Heffernan, who shared the top floor, over noise at night....

http://books.google.com/books?id=3-_H26ZJbNQC&pg=PA57&dq=brooklyn+by+colm+T%C3%B3ib%C3%ADn+patty+mcguire&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_nMIVKzbLYicygT1sYDgDA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=brooklyn%20by%20colm%20T%C3%B3ib%C3%ADn%20patty%20mcguire&f=false

‘Arrow’ Star Emily Bett Rickards Joins Saoirse Ronan in ‘Brooklyn’
March 14, 2014 | Posted By Linda Ge In Casting
http://upandcomers.net/2014/03/14/arrow-star-emily-bett-rickards-joins-saoirse-ronan-brooklyn/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381111/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/saoirse-ronan-star-brooklyn-692518

Edited by tv echo

That sounds like a cute little romantic comedy.  So, I'm looking up pictures of the male love interests to see who they are and Emory Cohen looks kinda familiar.  IMDb tells me that he played Leo on Smash.  Oh, he was awful (the character and the actor)!  Not sure I want to see this anymore! 

If EBR wants to have a legitimate movie career, then she's smart to get small roles in good movies with good actors during her hiatuses from shooting Arrow.  That way she can build up her resume and credentials.  

• Love 1

I found out that Stephen Amell's appearance on Heartland are on the internet.  He played Nick Harvell, "the hottest jumper on the circuit", and it's funny in his first episode (1x02) where the two teenage girls are falling over themselves with their crushes on him.   (I would have been too.)

He's also in episodes 1x10, 2x03, 2x06 and 4x06.  They're all on the CBC website but I don't know if it's available in other countries. 

I found out that Stephen Amell's appearance on Heartland are on the internet.  He played Nick Harvell, "the hottest jumper on the circuit", and it's funny in his first episode (1x02) where the two teenage girls are falling over themselves with their crushes on him.   (I would have been too.)

He's also in episodes 1x10, 2x03, 2x06 and 4x06.  They're all on the CBC website but I don't know if it's available in other countries.

Heartland is on Netflix as well.

Stephen Amell played Teddy Gordon in the 2007 movie, Closing the Ring, which also starred Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, Mischa Barton, Neve Campbell, and Gregory Smith.  At first, I thought the girl in this picture with SA was Willa Holland, but no, it's Mischa Barton:
stephenamell.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2010/11/11/tv_news_and_tips_for_thursday.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closing_the_Ring
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488380/

Official Movie Trailer:

(YouTube has several Closing the Ring videos.)

Fan Video featuring SA and MB (spoilers):