Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Gillian Rosh

World Cup 2014: Brazil, Here We Come!

Nice about you and your brother. My father developed my own love for the game. Family and sports go together often.

I'm Canadian and cableless, but CBC does not have pundits anywhere near as good. I adore Ballack and van Nistelroy! Lucky!

• Like 1

Suarez should definitely be banned for the rest of the tournament, and they should consider giving him a lifetime or several years ban.  That was absolutely ridiculous.  He clearly lunged at the guy's shoulder with his teeth.  Then he immediately flops and holds his teeth, as if he was the victim of an unfortunate collision.  He's holding his teeth and attempting to win an Oscar.

The Italian player tugs his shirt down to show the refs and the entire world that he has been bitten.  Some Uruguayan player runs over to him, gives him a little pat in the spirit of friendly competition and then tugs the shirt back up, as if to say, "hey, you don't need to be doing that".  Italian guy tugs shirt down again and keeps showing off the bite.  A bit funny.

It's the group of death
As someone who doesn't regularly follow soccer... doesn't it seem like every four years they are ALWAYS saying the U.S. is in the "group of death"?  Is it because the U.S. are always underdogs and the other teams are always better?

My family has played soccer here in the States since the 70s. I was five when I started so that was... '77. There's four of us and we've all played at least up until high school. My younger sister was the star, a real mid-field general who had a vicious kick. She could score from the half line (and did a time or two.) But we also all have bad knees so... alas. My brother and I are two years apart, we're the oldest of the four (fairly significant differences in age with the other two) and we didn't get along for a lot of years but we could always talk soccer. (We rarely ever agree on teams to root for, however, which always adds spice to whenever we watch together... national or club level.)

When the World Cup came here in '94 our family went to all of the games at Palo Alto. So much fun. And, luckily, our family owns the business we work at so I can have my ipad playing the games on ESPN watch during the work day. Also, my mother is totally willing to fight over Uruguay's Diego with everyone else here. She adores him.

ESPN has brought in a fleet of pundits for the games. I swear they got a star from every country to sit on the panel during those games.

No, that's not true. The USA wasn't in the group of death in South Africa. Only England was expected to be their real test, and USA and England were expected to advanced. USA needed some help to advance, but that's the case with many teams.

Back in 1994 and 1998, I'd say it was irrelevant because they really sucked. 

In 2006, Italy, Ghana, Czechs were all pretty strong, so that was kind of deathish.

In 2002, they were stuck in the host country group, which is BS, a not so great Portugal and a middling Poland. 

This year, they are in a group with 2 Top 5 teams, the only one, and probably the top african team who happens to be their nemesis (oh, how did that happen.) So yes, this was the toughest group.

The USA needs to finally get seeded so the odds will be stacked in their favor, else it's going to be like this more often than not. Unless they win to host again.

• Like 1

Luis Suarez has bitten ANOTHER player! will FIFA ban him?

He could be banned for up to 2 years if FIFA decide to come down hard on him.

The Italy/Uruguay game was so frustrating for me, because I don't like either team. Italy doesn't play an "honest" game to me and I can't stand Luis Suarez and both proved during this game just why I can't stand them. Biting? Seriously? On the other hand, Italy wasn't playing to win and so deserved to lose.

I don't even know what to think.

Me too, I can't stand the Italian team, dirty players. The bite looks good on them but honestly after what Suarez pulled on Ghana in the past and his past biting crap, that dude needs a FIFA spanking.

I'm rooting hard for Germany on Thursday so Ghana can go through, also because Germany is fascinating to watch. Couldn't give a shit about USA though, no thanks. Bring it Boatengs!

Edited by slayer2
  • Like 1

Germany and USA can negotiate a tie and both teams would be in... specially if the US coach is German, if they do, what a shame, they should give the people that bought tickets for the match their money back..

Germany and USA can negotiate a tie and both teams would be in... specially if the US coach is German, if they do, what a shame, they should give the people that bought tickets for the match their money back..

Well, Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I wouldn't. I'd be cheering like a mother fucker. YAY TIE!

JK keeps saying that USA is going for the win so they can take the group. I'm hoping it's a lot of lip service. 

Honestly, though. Why risk your best players to injury in what's pretty much a meaningless game? I'm not saying don't try, but neither of the #9s should be starting. If anything they should both field B teams with maybe the back 4 intact. I don't think the keepers should start either.

I have no problem with a tie. Neither team should have any problem with a tie. I hope it's the most anemic, boring tie that ever was, I'm totally fine with that. Get the game on again in the knock out rounds.

I'm not expecting that... but, really, I'm hoping for a tie. I'm absolutely fine with that.

• Like 2

I'm disgusted at the idea of the US and Germany even entertaining the thought of agreeing to play for a draw. I want both sides to go all out for 90 minutes, even if the result ends up eliminating the US.

• Like 2

Well, it's done across all major sports for the most part. So it may be disgusting but a manager/coach has an obligation to a larger picture/advancing the team. In this case, the goal isn't to beat Germany, it's to advance out of the group stages. 

If the 49ers wrap up the #1 seed in the playoffs in Week 14, the remaining 3 weeks in the season is largely irrelevant and Kapernick isn't going to see many snaps. Because if he goes down, then he's not 100% for the playoffs. If a baseball team wraps up a playoff spot, then some pitchers skip the rotation while the manager sets up the postseason rotation. 

Advancing out of the group stages two WCs in a row for USA is unprecedented and is exactly what is needed to advance USA soccer overall on the international level. Of course, I'm sure there's an assistant who is probably going to be keeping tabs on the Portugal/Ghana game and that will dictate what JK wants the USA to do. 

I'd keep 10 players behind the ball and counterattack if it presents itself, but if it's 75', or 80' at the latest and it's tied? Shut it down. There's no reason to push for a win.

• Like 2

I agree ganesh.  That's why you don't want to be put in a position where you aren't controlling your own destiny.  If Germany and the US decide to not fight too hard for the game, I can't blame them.

• Like 1

I'm a Liverpool and Uruguay supporter so it's frustrating to see Suarez bite someone again. I don't hold the hand ball in 2010 against him, but biting?! God, he really deserves a long ban for that behavior, especially since he keeps doing it. But I have to admit that all the replays of him biting people made me laugh, in a 'I am totally going to hell' way because he really goes for the bite.

And I'm with you @Elsydeon, I really hope USA and Germany don't decide to tie the match. Trying new players and giving others some rest when you're pretty sure you'll advance is fine but you don't look good if you actively rely on others (not playing their best) to make it through the group stage. Just the talk of it makes me hope Germany and Ghana win and go through. If I'm not mistaken it's the same situation that Argentina and Nigeria were in today and they had a pretty good match with 5 goals.    

Argentina was through regardless, and barring an improbable win by Iran by about 52 goals, so was Nigeria. With that in hand, Nigeria was gunning to win the group, and Argentina wanted to hang onto the top spot, so they could play for first place in the group without penalty, so to speak. That's a different approach then here. 

Neither USA nor Germany are "officially" through and neither wants to risk an outright loss, and then have to worry about getting help to advance. Although, Germany with +4 probably will advance draw or loss. So even though we're talking about the USA POV, the same game management applies to Germany as well. I don't know what German fans are saying on message boards, but I'm doubtful there's much urgency to beat the USA when you can rest people and say fuck it and still win the group. 

I don't think either team really gives a fuck how they look if they're both members of the final 16. The goal isn't to win all your games, the goal is to advance out of the group stages. This can be accomplished for both teams regardless of the outcome of the other game. You tell any team in the WC, "all you have to do is not lose and your through in your final game," they'd take it in a second. 

All the final 16 teams are pretty good, so excepting having to play the host country next, which neither will, I don't think winning or losing the group is a huge deal in this case. And Germany will win the group unless they lose. Which again, why risk? 

So the talk of it might suck, but those are the rules of this tournament, and it's not strictly USA-based approach in this case. 

• Like 3

Suarez is a sick fuck who needs to be banned for life, period, end of story. For what he has done, there should be no 3 strikes, but since this is apparently at least his third time getting caught biting, lifetime ban is the only appropriate solution for this disgusting shithead. Sadly, as long as the insidious and grossly corrupt Sepp Blatter remains on the throne, not much will happen because he is also full of shit and only cares about the money and fame and crap like this brings ratings. Sad, but true.

As for tomorrow, I cannot believe anyone who really loves soccer would want ay two teams to agree beforehand to a draw just so they can advance to the next round more easily. That isnt good sportsmanship, nor is it displaying the best in the world. It's a passive form of cheating if you ask me (basically fixing their own games), and it would be disgraceful. I certainly expect both Germany and the USA to bring their A games tomorrow, and play their guts out. Nothing less is acceptable. If they honestly end up in a draw, so be it.

Gee, who knew I had so many opinions about World Cup soccer, huh?!?

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 2

I fail to see how both teams drawing to send themselves into the next round is bad sportsmanship.  Even if Ghana or Portugal wins, they are still not guaranteed an in.  And then we get sent to who has the most goals.  Which is essentially the same thing as drawing.  Had Ghana and Portugal played better, they wouldn't be in this situation.

I fail to see how both teams drawing to send themselves into the next round is bad sportsmanship.  Even if Ghana or Portugal wins, they are still not guaranteed an in.  And then we get sent to who has the most goals.  Which is essentially the same thing as drawing.  Had Ghana and Portugal played better, they wouldn't be in this situation.

caught, I was responding to the spec that both teams would agree beforehand to a draw, to 'play it safe' so to get them both to the next round. I wasn't referring to an honest draw, which has obviously happened in some of the best matches so far.  I should have been more clear on that...sorry.

I fail to see how both teams drawing to send themselves into the next round is bad sportsmanship.

It's really not. The job of the national team manager is to put your squad in a position to advance out of the group stages of the world cup. That's the singular metric of success. Both teams going for it punch for punch like heavyweight fighters is silly if someone gets hurt and are out for the next match. 

Way back, I think West Germany and Austria played a farce of a game because WG *let them win* so both teams could advance. That's bad sportsmanship.

Currently, both final group games are played at the same time. Neither team should roll over because the risk of a loss could mean not advancing. The outcome of the other match has literally no impact on USA/Germany if they play even.

What looks like is happening is that Germany or USA are possessing ball for stretches and trying to break down the others' defense. If there's a chance to counter, they're taking it, but they aren't throwing numbers forward and the game isn't up and down because there's no reason for everyone to put 10 miles on their feet. This seems fair. It's not cheating, there's no one exploiting loopholes in any of the rules. 

If it's 65', 70' and it's still tied, I think they'll both shut it down.

Had Ghana and Portugal played better, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Short of locking up a spot in the 16 after your second match, *any* team would take the position Germany/USA are in. 

You know what? Don't be the fourth best team in the world and drop it 4-0 in the WC. Everyone played the same teams. It's neither USA nor Germany's fault they are in this position.

Edited by ganesh

I asked my dad what he thinks about Germany and USA playing to get a draw, and he just responded "that's not good". On another forum someone told me, and I don't know if this is true, that Germany and Bayern where many of the players are from, have played their best in the qualification rounds and the last year even when they didn't have to (to not mess with the other teams/out of respect), and I hope they continue to do so. And it looks like they are pushing for a goal. 

As long the teams actually play their best I won't have problem with a draw, but to settle for a draw right out of the gate? That's just shitty.  

Edited by Silje
  • Like 2

It's not about settling, it's about the level of risk in the game that the teams are willing to incur. The game isn't up down up down up down shot shot shot because there's no reason to get caught with your pants down on defense and give up a cheap goal. And it seems like that's what is going on. The pace of the game is pretty slow and deliberate. 

Ghana/Portugal need to play balls to the wall because anything less then 3 points and they're out. 

• Like 1

Well... I'll take this, too. We go forward to the round of 16 and very very very few people gave the US a chance to get out of this group. I didn't think we'd get out of the group when it was announced. 

I'm very happy when all is said and done... we didn't have much (Germany's really just such a classy team - they've got a lot of depth... and damn, every time I see Lahm play he just impresses the hell out of me.) but we fought and we had some chances (we needed more but alas) and we made it through a group no one said we had a chance to get out of.

I'm exhausted, though. I could go for a three martini lunch about now.

• Like 1

Even though the US lost, at least it was a fair and honest loss. I'd rather have that than a prearranged draw.

• Like 2

I just caught the very end of the game, there definetly chances we could have tied oh well. I'm glad to see US make it though.

Well... I'll take this, too. We go forward to the round of 16 and very very very few people gave the US a chance to get out of this group.

Except for the USAMNT, I don't think anyone thought they would advance out of this group. So, fuck you FIFA. I find it more than coincidental that Ghana just happened to be in the group again. 

This is a new standard for USA. Two times in a row in the knockout rounds. This needs to be the expectation for them from now on.

As for the game, it actually wasn't that bad. No excuses, they lost and needed more possession. They had a couple of chances at the end. But, the defense didn't do anything stupid. Germany got a goal on a well executed set piece, and USA didn't make the most of theirs. And even then, it was on a rebound. 

I think the USA will actually be kind of looser now. They're playing with house money. 

• Like 1

Portugal needed 3 or more goals in their favor.. they played a sloppy WC with a CR7 not at 100%, this time one player coudn't carry a team, let's see Messi and Neymar heroics next..

Ummm, was it just me that saw when that Portugal dude pulled the Ghana player's shorts so hard that his personal bits, which were quite substantial thankyouverymuch, came flopping out and about for a good long while there?  And it was shown in replay at least twice more after that?  That was about the most exciting part of an otherwise not very exciting match.

ETA: Yes, I am shallow. And yes, I am 12.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 1

You mean his penis was hanging out? whoa!....

Haven't seen much sexy women fans in the crowd or the TV won't show them (remember Paraguay's Larissa Riquelme last WC?)

In a country that I think invented the thong bikini I haven't seen much..

Haven't seen much sexy women fans in the crowd or the TV won't show them (remember Paraguay's Larissa Riquelme last WC?)

In a country that I think invented the thong bikini I haven't seen much..

I'm watching from Canada's CBC, but I think our game feed is from BBC. They have featured the male fans and yes, the "sexy women fans" too.

Can't believe I missed the wardrobe malfunction.

Gutted. What kind of a coach fires two hey players (even though one couldn't play) hours before the most important match? I smell $$ Congrats to the teams that advanced if no foul play was involved. Sad day for me.

Ladies, please feel free to offer as much comfort to CR7 as he needs.

Ten to eight years ago when he was just wee rookie in Man Utd, I'd been first in line. Now, not so much. I still think he is a great player; I always knew he had it in him to be one of the best. His personality and on pitch behaviour has changed for the worse. 

Nice header by the Russians.

I've got Boateng covered.

Boateng and another Ghana player got sent home for arguing with team officials.

Dibs on Kwarasey.

Edited by Chrissytd

Ladies, please feel free to offer as much comfort to CR7 as he needs.

Can I go congratulate Jones, Beckerman and... the entire German team instead?

Personally, CR7 and his pout when things don't go well give me joy. I find his tears delicious. When it comes to Soccer Gods, I prefer Messi.

• Like 1

Suarez, I think, got off lightly- I'd say a 10-15 game suspension.

But what is up with the corrupt Referees who are clearly biased or just severely inept?  Who watches the watchmen, as it were?  

I wish I had caught the wardrobe malfunction- and I'd love to know more about what happened for the coach to toss two players off his team.

Also- Hurray USA!  They made it out of the Group of Death- for me, that's as awesome as winning.  It would be even more incredibly great if they made it to semis.  I would TOTALLY skip work to catch that game.  

For those that know more about this than I do, what are the chances that the US makes it past the round of 16?

Edited by KittenPokerCheater

Suarez, I think, got off lightly- I'd say a 10-15 game suspension.

But what is up with the corrupt Referees who are clearly biased or just severely inept?  Who watches the watchmen, as it were?  

FIFA is in itself corrupt which makes all of this aggravating. I love the World Cup, but hate FIFA. Hmm.

• Like 1

FIFA is in itself corrupt which makes all of this aggravating. I love the World Cup, but hate FIFA. Hmm.

If you haven't seen John Oliver's bit about FIFA on his Last Week Tonight show (I think it's on You Tube at this point) then you really should because he's in the same boat but happily, HAPPILY, tore FIFA to shreds in his bit on them and their practices.

If the USA plays like they did in the second half of Portugal, there chances are as good as any. They played Belgium in a friendly last year so there is that. Although the FIFA rankings are a joke, I'd say Belgium and USA are in the same "tier." Like, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, Germany are top tier, and USA, Belgium are below that. 

• Like 1

Oh, I  hate FiFa with the fire of a thousand suns- they're about as corrupt as they come (and Jon Oliver is my hero).  But they decide who gets to ref a game?  I figured there might be some kind of education/training/oversight, or can any yahoo (like myself) show up, ask, and then referee a world cup game?  Shouldn't there be some reputation involved- a look at their c.v and job performance?

If you haven't seen John Oliver's bit about FIFA on his Last Week Tonight show (I think it's on You Tube at this point) then you really should because he's in the same boat but happily, HAPPILY, tore FIFA to shreds in his bit on them and their practices.

We even have an episode topic for it. Seriously, it's a great piece that explains the organisation well. It's depressing to think about though.

• Like 1

Gutted. What kind of a coach fires two hey players (even though one couldn't play) hours before the most important match? I smell $$ Congrats to the teams that advanced if no foul play was involved. Sad day for me.

I'd like to think the management of Team Ghana was sending a message to their players to step off the primadonna pedestal and be proper sportsmen. From what I read and heard from friends in Accra, one of the players sent home got into a fist fight with one of the coaching staff and the other one hurled racial slurs at another staff member, and they were both promptly pulled and sent packing. To me, that's "good parenting".  It shouldn't matter that it's the WC, in fact, they should be on their best behavior at such a high profile world event representing their home country, not acting like they are beyond reproach or following the rules of good sportsmanship.  That, combined with this idiotic "we want our money right NOW or else!" just has me shaking my head over Team Ghana right now...This is not the team I remember from 2010.

To be honest, from what I've heard from friends in Accra today, Ghanains in general are wholly embarrassed by the behavior of their team right now. One of my friends there said he went to a work meeting instead of watching the game because he was so disgusted with the team's behavior and poor representation of their country. After getting as far as they did in 2010, they had high hopes for their team, and with the fighting amongst team members, and the ridiculous toddler-like tantrums of threatening to boycott today's match if they weren't paid their fees immediately and in cash?  That's highly embarrassing to Ghanains, who are, from my experience working with many colleagues from Ghana, some of the most lovely and people, to whom manners are important.  What I think is a shame is that Ghana pulled players for their shitty behavior, while Uruguay is still pissing and moaning about their guy BITING another human being. That? Is some fucked up shit right there.

As for this:

You didn't miss complete "skin baring" malfunction, let's just say that this particular dude wasn't wearing a cup or a jock strap and he was, for lack of better description, "flopping" back and forth in a very thin white undergarment that appeared to do little in terms of supporting the rather large family goods...I'm surprised it's not online somewhere yet. It was rather eye-popping...

Here's what I saw, only it was more impressive in HiDef on a large screen...Enjoy...

http://guyism.com/sports/ghana-wardrobe-malfunction.html

Edited by gingerella

From what I remember refs do get vetted for the WC and then vetted during the group stages for the later games. I don't know who exactly does it though, but there is a system in place.

• Like 1

I haven't loved a Ronaldo goal that much since he scored Real Madrid's game winner in the Copa del Rey final back in 2011.

This US team has exceeded my expectations, but the performance today worried me (no shots on goal? oy!) Still, getting out of this group is a huge achievement. Nothing should diminish that.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Boateng and another Ghana player got sent home for arguing with team officials.

Dibs on Kwarasey.

I know and I'm sure he's devastated about it.

I don't buy that the two of them were screaming and fighting, I just think the coach was bought off. We had this game in the bag, nothing else makes sense, it's all a little too coincidental for my liking.

For those that know more about this than I do, what are the chances that the US makes it past the round of 16?

Well no one expected them to make it past this round, so.....who knows?

They have to start playing like a team if they are going to win though.  The way they played the second half of the Portugal game....THAT is what we need.  Balls to the wall, 100%.....we'll see I guess.