Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Gillian Rosh

World Cup 2014: Brazil, Here We Come!

Is it just my TV or is the volume of the announcers too low? When I turn up the volume I get crowd noise (it's painfully loud) but I still can't hear the announcers. I noticed it yesterday too.

stafford: It depends on the announcers and the venue for me, it seems. Yesterday the British guy and Roberto Martinez (who I don't normally have trouble understanding) were just unintelligible in the Argentina-Bosnia Herzegovina match. In that case, it definitely seemed like the audio mix was off, too much crowd noise as compared to the announcers.

Thanks Etta Place. I thought I was going nuts or that I needed a new sound system. I also had trouble with the Argentina match as well.

Bad couple of days for Iberia, Spain and Portugal get outscored 9-1.

Ouch.  Too bad Andorra doesn't have team in order to save face for the peninsula.

• Like 1

The USA didn't play their best and they still found a way to win. That's encouraging. No doubt having JA leave so early affected that. And having to burn the second sub at haftime.

However, they need to make those counterattacks much more effective. Not that they need to get a shot everytime, but there's got to me far more chances manufactured. Bradley needs to be getting more touches.

I'm super glad that JK didn't just have them play for the point though. 

And no mental let downs please! You won a game you should have won. Good. 

Well, Ghana v USA was a good game. Glad to see the US get the win.

What the heck happened w/Portugal today? I expected a far more competitve game than what we got.

Brazil v. Mexico tomorrow should be interesting.

ETA: ganesh, IA with you: US needs to be far more incisive on the counter. I was also frustrated at how they kept losing the ball and couldn't seem to string together more than a couple passes.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

There's nothing wrong playing a counterattack style. USA aren't going to dominate possession against anyone in this group. But when they do counter, it's got to be good enough that the other team is like, "oh shit, get the hell back, they're coming!" 

They absolutely have to get shots off of set pieces. 

Edited by ganesh

And I think the cut-off for roster changes was Sunday.

I am glad the US got that very late goal for the win, but I don't think they played all that well. Having said that, Portugal has a few issues right now, so I guess it's okay to get my hopes up.

I can't bring myself to root for the US team, I just can't.  I think a big part of it is that I'm pissed off Donovan was left off the roster.

The USMNT reminded me of Crystal Palace yesterday. Not pretty, but it's the scoreline that counts.

It'll be interesting to see how they gameplan around Jozy's absence.

I can't bring myself to root for the US team, I just can't.  I think a big part of it is that I'm pissed off Donovan was left off the roster.

Doesn't matter to me. No one man is bigger than the team.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter to me. No one man is bigger than the team.

Very true and a good point.  Apparently I'm missing the gene that states you must root for your home country because I rarely, if ever, do.  Wish I could explain why but I can't.

Is JA totally out? Because USA isn't playing until Sunday, so that's a decent time to heal.

USA soccer is interesting because on the international scene they are actual underdogs. In hockey, USA is always in the conversation for a gold medal. In basketball, USA is always the favorite.

Yesterday was a great story culminating in 3 years' worth of build up. Not only is USA in probably the toughest group, but they are playing the team that knocked them out of the WC for for the last two times. USA got a new coach, installed a new system, and a new philosophy, and still has a pretty young team.

While taking a point wouldn't have been the end of their WC hopes, getting all 3 in the first match of group play is very good for any team. Then they lost their arguably most potent offensive force 20' in. JK could have made that third sub a defensive replacement to preserve the draw, but he didn't. He made the sub and said, 'we are going for this.' In a shitty game that they slogged though, they had one last chance and put it through for a second goal.

That's a great story for any nation.

Now they have to play the shit out of this on Sunday. 

• Like 1

Very true and a good point.  Apparently I'm missing the gene that states you must root for your home country because I rarely, if ever, do.  Wish I could explain why but I can't.

Piggybacking what ganesh said, I find this team easy to root for because they're underdogs. The USA are usually the favorites, and sometimes people have a hard time getting behind that. I know when the "Dream Team" was winning Olympic basketball games by 50 points, I couldn't have cared less.

You know, I think you may have hit on it.  I'm not ashamed to say that I not only hated the Dream Team but I actively rooted against them and found the team embarrassing, and still cannot forget Charles Barkley elbowing the player from Angola in the chest for no reason.  It was ugly Americanism at its worst.

• Like 1

As great an assemblage of talent that was the Dream Team, it was kind of a Cold War mentality and outright bullying. Now it's just an Olympic program like anything else. 

There's literally no easy match for the USA in the WC. They'll be an underdog in every match. 

As great an assemblage of talent that was the Dream Team, it was kind of a Cold War mentality and outright bullying. Now it's just an Olympic program like anything else. 

There's literally no easy match for the USA in the WC. They'll be an underdog in every match. 

I root for the US but I also root for Switzerland and Italy as my parents were from there.  I remember when Italy won oh so many years ago.  Washington DC had a lot of Italian flags and whooping and hollering.  It was a lot of fun.

Ugh, Belgium. I mean, I'm happy they won, but they were less than impressive. (I lived there last year, so I would like to see them do well.)

Edited by Etta Place

I root for the US and I also root for Germany and Spain. There was a time when Spain were perennial underdogs. It seems crazy now after they won three major tourneys in a row (first time ever a team has done that) although they are not off to a good start at all here.

I typically do not root for Argentina but I love Messi so a part of me does want him to go all the way. Meanwhile, I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo and get a thrill every time the Germans steamroll over him.

Yesterday... I went home and had a big old glass of wine. That US/Ghana game just wrecked me. Pure roller coaster ride. The early goal, the epidemic of hamstring issues, the broken nose, the inability to complete more than two passes in a row... the equalizer, the set piece that put us ahead... holding on those last minutes. I was exhausted and that was just our first game!!

Mexico/Brazil is coming up and I have no idea who to root for. Mexico is our CONCACAF rival but I've had a hard time rooting for Brazil ever since July 4, 1994 when they broke Tab Ramos' head (our family went to all the games in Palo Alto and that game was awesome... except for the breaking of Ramos' head.) I think I'm going to have to go with Mexico. CONCACAF pride!

Well, it seems obvious that L. Donovan is auditioning for future commentating gigs but, just ...no.  He's terrible.  Maybe he can grow into it, but there seems to be no life in his voice or eyes when he speaks.  He's just blah.  He's making me appreciate Lalas for fucks sake.

It was a good game. Very thrilling. Ochoa is unsigned! I hope his agent is getting some calls.

Another thing I like is the opening ceremony for each match.  I just love the pride shown on the players' faces. as they're standing at attention when the national anthems are played.   The kids are cute too.

• Like 2

I know it's common but I am having such a tough time watching all the flopping going on from barely a tap. I bet teams spend half of every practice learning to grimace and roll around in agony. I love football but I'm getting more and more annoyed by the blantent play acting (at least the USA had the decency to suffer two real injuries and for that I'm so sorry). I seem to recall at the last WC they gave out cards for play acting...or am I dreaming?

Cards can be given out for flopping, but they aren't going to be given out in game 1 out of 3. If you get a card in game 1 and then 1 in game 2, then you're out for game 3, and no one wants the ref making the decision who is going to be play in what will be the most important matches. I wouldn't even bet that the refs were instructed not to book for flopping in game 1. After group play, the cards are reset. 

I'm not seeing a ton of calls being made for the diving. The ref just shakes his head and moves on. That happened with Brazil. Marcello (?) was so intent on flopping in the box that had he stayed with the play he probably could have gotten off a good cross. It's their loss. 

I hate to say it, but I think the USA wanted to play the counter attacking style that Mexico was playing.

• Like 1

I need to relax after that Netherlands v Australia game. I really like both teams, but I've become attached to van Persie and Robben lately. I felt bad for Australia still. Games like that are why I am glad I am working from home these days.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Spain/Chile. It's must win for Spain!

That Aussie goal was top notch. I love it when the ball doesn't even hit the ground. 

Anyone else enjoying the multiple daily World Cup related Google doodles as much as I am? The one currently up, for the Spain vs. Chile match, is really cute but nothing has topped Paul the Octopus from yesterday (for the Belgium/Algeria match.)

Edited by MyAimIsTrue
  • Like 4

I didn't have a favorite between Spain/Chile before the match, but the rousing Chilean national anthem with the team and the fans, swayed me to their side.  I'm so happy that they won!  I do feel bad for Spain though, I guess. 

Wow. Spain crashes out. Chile played a hell of a game although this one wasn't near as exciting as the Holland/Australia one. That Cahill goal was something else!

I've had a soft spot for Spain since the days of Luis Enrique back in the 90s and it was heightened by their reputation as 'perennial underachievers' which they turned around and then some in 2008. All great generations come to an end but this one was harsh. No goals at all in two games? Yoinks.

I am loving the Google Doodles. So far, it seems that it keeps score during the US games. I loved the US and Ghana eagles kicking a ball between them as they fluttered over their nests and laid eggs and then after the game the eggs hatched. What? It was cute!

Edited by Dandesun

Could the ESPN announcers have been more pro Spain? Was the Chilean team even playing? Hey, I get that they are the defending World Champions but Chile did an outstanding job.

Good for Chile! Spain had a great run the last few years, but I guess it had to come to an end some time. Wondering how far Chile can go in this tournament.

Group A is intriguing now - not sure if Mexico or Croatia will go through to the knockout stages.

Few? They basically dominated international soccer for over a decade. They steamrolled through qualifying, but I think time caught up to them in the end. A lot of those players have a ton of games on their legs since they're most all from club teams that play deep into the european leagues as well as being at the top of the table all the time.

• Like 1

FC Barcelona has not been successful in Champions League the last two years and Barca is the structure of the Spanish National Team. Bayern Munchen (where Robben plays) has fully dismantled them the last couple of years so, truthfully, I figured that Spain's day had come. I just didn't expect it to come in the second game.

But, man, Spain's tenure has been glorious. Really beautiful football when it comes down to it.

It broke my heart a little to see Iker Casillas go out like that. What a sad end to his international career. I really hope that as time goes on, he's remembered less for a couple of brutal WC games and more for his contribution to Spain's great run. That said, Spain were in trouble coming in. I think they felt entitled to, at the very least, making it out of the groups, and it made them a little complacent. They also relied too much on Casillas, who had a rough year at Real Madrid and whose confidence, I think, was essentially gone. At the same time, I also think it's really unfair to totally blame Spain's fortunes on him -- every member of that team plus del Bosque should take a look in the mirror. I never thought Spain would win it all again, but I didn't think they'd go out like this. However, Chile should be really proud of the game they played today. They played with so much passion; it was great to see.

I agree with you, Gillian Rosh, the way Group A shakes out is going to be really interesting.

I was in Europe for the last World Cup and I just remembered how well Spain played through the 2010 summer. It's sad to see what happened. They've made history by being the first defending World Cup champion team to not even score in the group stage.

I checked their global rankings and they are still very much ahead of Germany, but that doesn't matter when it's the World Cup on the line. The team needs some soul searching.

• Like 1

Anyone heard an update on Altidore's hamstring? I haven't seen anything, which makes me worry.

I re-watched an old Youtube video from 2010 that showed fan's reactions from all over the US (and the world) to Donovan's amazing goal against Algeria and I still got chills. That game had such an impact on the sport in the US and I will never get tired of watching it. And this is coming from someone who got dragged against her will to every soccer game my younger brother played from 5 to 17 years old, when I finally pitched a fit about not ever getting a weekend to myself. I thought I would never like soccer again, but I adore the WC games.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 1