Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Gillian Rosh

World Cup 2014: Brazil, Here We Come!

Starting this thread early - because I can't wait any longer!

Which team(s) do you think will surprise?

Which players will have a breakthrough tournament?

Who's your pick to win it all?

• Like 1

I grew up in a football household so WorldCup time is always a special one for me. I do get a little emotionally involved though. I'll always be sad thinking about the 2006 final France vs Italy.

I support more than one team and I really watch for the love of the game as it were. We're less than a week away and I better keep my cider and beer cool and ready.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think this World Cup is cursed. With all the infrastructure problems and now the recent string of injuries so close to the tournament. If this thing gets pulled off with no more major mishaps, that will be a huge surprise.

It's looking like Germany's Marco Reus will be ruled out of the World Cup due to the injury he sustained in Germany's win over Armenia today. UGH! I really like Reus and wanted to see him in this tournament. I hate all of these injuries!

ETA: Borussia Dortmund website confirms Reus is out of the World Cup.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I am still waiting for the Netherlands to finally win the Cup, the best team that never has, but I doubt this will be the year.  Uruguay is looking more and more like my favorite choice though I'm always partial to the Super Eagles of Nigeria because I met their team during the opening ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics, wished them well, and they won the gold.

ETA:  I'm leaving for Ireland in 10 days.   While there it's probably best that I don't bring up what happened to them against France during the 2010 World Cup qualifications.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue

They suspended the strike on Tuesday (I think). Time will tell if they strike again on the date the tournament starts. 

ETA: Watching one of ESPN's World Cup preview shows, and I'm reminded that I'll have to deal with Alexi Lalas during this tournament. Good gravy that man annoys me.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Is to too soon to talk about the World Cup pretty?  Uruguay's Diego Forlan was my 2010 Cup boyfriend along with Richard Kingson, the goalkeeper for Ghana, but out of the two only Diego is back this year.  He's hot and I even love the headband he wears while playing.

Is to too soon to talk about the World Cup pretty?  Uruguay's Diego Forlan was my 2010 Cup boyfriend along with Richard Kingson, the goalkeeper for Ghana, but out of the two only Diego is back this year.  He's hot and I even love the headband he wears while playing.

I like Diego Forlan too. I remember his stint at Man Utd and I missed him when they traded him. I'll be glad to see him in the Uruguay games.

I use to watch a lot more football ten years ago so a lot of my favourite players are retired and the ones who are left, I've become jaded with. I use to really like Cristiano Ronaldo when he premiered.

I didn't care that my own national team didn't get through the qualification for this year (we suck) because my favorite team has been Uruguay since 2010 and I was so happy they got through the final play-offs. 

The reason I started supporting Uruguay? My two boyfriends, Diego Lugano and Diego Forlan. I call them 'my Diegos' for short.

• Like 1

Poor Diego, he has to play for his country and be shared amongst the four of us. He'll be a very fatigued.

• Like 1

I'm not normally a soccer fan, but I do like to watch some World Cup matches.  I was watching Brazil vs. Croatia and things were getting tense because it was tied 1-1.  I don't know anything about standings but I assume that since Brazil is the host team that they're supposed to be the favorite.  Well, the referee gave Croatia a penalty for a non-foul--even the announcers said so--and they went ahead 2-1 on a penalty kick.   That ref just cheated.  I won't be watching anymore. 

Since Forlan has to share me with Lugano, I think it's only fair that I share him with others! I'm sure we can work out a schedule that works for us all. ;)

My national team isn't in Brazil but we're kinda there in spirit, with the Handshake for Peace that's going to be before and after every match. The last picture in the clip is the handshake that inspired the idea. It's from a friendly match between South Africa and Norway in 2009.

I so hoped the Croatian goal keeper would save that penalty kick from Neymar, so in one second I went from screaming 'YEAH!' with my arms in the air to 'noooooo' when I saw the ball went in. 

That ref just cheated.  I won't be watching anymore.

It was a terrible call. Every sport has terrible calls. That ref probably won't be reffing beyond the group stages. The Olympics has terrible calls. That's a pretty short hook. There's still 63 other potentially good games to watch and you might miss out on seeing something extraordinary. 

Brazil was the better team and broke through and scored a legit goal late to seal the match. When it was still 2-1 Croatia still had decent chances to tie it up and couldn't equalize. 

The Croat GK really let in soft goals regardless. Long, rolling bouncy, medium velocity shots. You have to make those plays at this level. Given the lackluster offense Brazil mounted, he's got to be majorly pissed off. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1

Of course there are terrible calls made in just about every sport.  However, when it's a major event like World Cup or the Olympics, when the whole world is watching, and there are casual viewers like myself who wouldn't ordinarily watch a particular sport, it just looks bad to see such a blatant bad call.  When you see something like that, it doesn't get casual viewers to want to watch more of that sport.  Brazil was looking bad in the beginning, and that ref probably thought he'd better do something to help them or he wouldn't make it out of the country alive.  I don't even care about either team, but that was just bad.  I might watch a couple of games later on, but this beginning just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Ohwell

Is to too soon to talk about the World Cup pretty?

It's never too soon. Sticking with Uruguay - I'll take Edinson Cavani as one of my World Cup boyfriends. Along with Michael Bradley, Asamoah Gyan and many more I'm forgetting.

You can have Michael *after* the Ghana match. This is a must win and he needs to focus.

Someone needs to wear out CR7 prior to the USA match as well.

Someone needs to wear out CR7 prior to the USA match as well.

I mean - I wouldn't be opposed to taking on this job.

In other news, the Croatia manager, Niko Kovac, is kinda hot. I'd be up for comforting him over their loss to Brazil.

Tomorrow's matches look intriguing

• Mexico vs. Cameroon - Looks like Hernandez will be coming off the bench
  • Spain vs. Netherlands - but all I can think about is how weird Cesc Fabregas will look in a Chelsea kit
  • Chile vs. Australia - will be nice to see Tim Cahill of my New York Red Bulls
Edited by Gillian Rosh

I started off the Brazil v Croatia game as a neutral who just wanted to see an entertaining match. By the end of it I was actively rooting against Brazil. That penalty call was horrible. There was also a clear foul from Brazil right before the third goal that the ref missed. Croatia got screwed. I have a feeling the hosts are going to be getting a lot of officiating help in this tournament.

Even though I'm not feeling very positive about the Brazilian national team right now, I'm not going to let that stand in the way of my Hulk love. Something about that man is just sexy as hell. He's totally my WC boyfriend. I just wish he were a bit taller.

Brazil was the better team and broke through and scored a legit goal late to seal the match.

If the penalty doesn't get called, Croatia probably puts 10 men behind the ball, instead of having to push for an equalizer. I'll keep watching, but Brazil is good enough to win without help. That was just pathetic.

• Like 1

Yes, most likely. That doesn't mean Brazil doesn't score a second one anyway. Typically, there's more fouls in these scenarios and they could have scored off a free kick, corner, etc., too. It's not like Brazil stole one. 

And like I said, Croatia had enough chances to get a second one and couldn't put it through.

It was pathetic, the ref shouldn't advance to the knockout round, but the overall impact on the outcome of the WC is probably a small ripple. 

Yeah, Brazil definitely had the run of play. And Croatia can still get out of the group. If that happens, this will probably be forgotten. But with so many eyes on yesterday's match, it was just a bad way to start the WC.

It's a logistical issue, since it's only WC match that day, you want to make sure you have the best crew. 

Offsides calls are notoriously judgmental and subjective. There hasn't been any egregious fouls called/not called. It's glaring when goals are disallowed. If anything, they are calling the offsides very tight consistently, but I think just about every one wants a 'looser' offisides call; i.e., give leeway to the offense. 

Of course offside calls are notorious - everyone hates it when their own team is called offside and when the other guys aren't. ;)

And Mexico in particular flirts with that line frequently. So if the officiating crew is going to be hyper-vigilant to it, Mexico is going to have to adjust accordingly. (And they just scored a clear one, so there you go.)

Pretty much. My main point in general was that because there was one shitty call in the Brazil match doesn't mean all the close calls from then on are shitty too. 

Ok, I'm already sick of Lalas.

Edited by ganesh

I cannot stop watching replays of Robin van Persie's header goal as there are no words to describe how amazing it was.  I almost always root for Dutch teams no matter the sport (for personal family reasons dating back to WWII) and I didn't think this year's team of aged superstars and young up and comers stood a chance against Spain so I'm happy to say I was wrong. 

Back in 1994 I attended a World Cup match between the Netherlands and Belgium, a border war, and sat in the Dutch fan section.  There's not much funnier than seeing  intoxicated men wearing orange dresses, long braided wigs, and wooden shoes, and too bad I forgot all of the Dutch curse words they taught me that afternoon.

They played well and Uruguay weren't good so kudos to the Costa Ricans.

I have a dislike of the Italy team, but I must admit they weren't so bad in the England game. England just couldn't get it together even with all the possession in the second half.

Since I barely even noticed the gorgeous Diego Forlan in his game today I'm enjoying the pretty that is the entire Cote d'Ivoire team. West African men seem to have amazing facial bone structure with great cheekbones, which is why I also crush on the team from Ghana. I wonder why Didier Drogba didn't start in this game..

Edited by MyAimIsTrue
  • Like 3

Drogba is pretty old no? I don't think he could go a full 90'.

I don't know if Uruguay thought that because everyone is talking about them that they actually don't have to play the actual game. 

Italy's second goal was very good. England just didn't play well though. They're slow and sluggish. I feel like they're playing a 10 year old game. Where's the pace? The creativity? I don't think much can be said of Italy yet because of that. 

Drogba is 36 which I guess sort of makes him ancient in this sport. We have the same birthday (month and day) only I'm 13 years older than he is. And I'm not old! :)

Pirlo is made of holy bad ass, however. Exception that proves the rule. Between the regular Serie A season, they played deep into the European leagues too, so he's in a class by himself. 

• Like 1

I have to admit that the best part of watching World Cup for me, is watching the fans in the stands.  I wish I could have been there yesterday, rockin' it out with the Ivory Coast fans. 

• Like 3

Diego Forlan is also 35 and I think he played all of the Uruguay game? Maybe Drogba has an minor injury.

I'm sad that I will be in a lunch meeting through almost all of the Portugal vs Germany game.

I have to admit that the best part of watching World Cup for me, is watching the fans in the stands.  I wish I could have been there yesterday, rockin' it out with the Ivory Coast fans.

I agree. Some fans can be obnoxious when supporting their team but the Ivory Coast fans seemed to be enjoying the moment.
  • Like 1

I appreciate espn getting these former wc players to talk about the games, but they're mostly kind of dumb and talk in platitudes.

• Like 2